Delt4life

Starting gun for an adult getting into airsoft

I'm an adult getting into the sport and looking to buy my first gun. I prefer the M4 look and would like a good gun that I don't have to mod. I won't spend a ton of money on a gun at this point, between $200-$250 is what I am looking at right now since I need to get some gear as well. I have spent the past week looking at review after review and I am kind of interested in the Ares "Next Generation AEG".

I don't think I am interested in KWA just because of their proprietary parts. I will more than likely be playing woods/field mostly since I can't find a CQB place around me, (Tampa area) but would like a gun that can be used indoor. Give me some ideas please and thanks.

I'm an adult getting into the sport and looking to buy my first gun. I prefer the M4 look and would like a good gun that I don't have to mod. I won't spend a ton of money on a gun at this point, between $200-$250 is what I am looking at right now since I need to get some gear as well. I have spent the past week looking at review after review and I am kind of interested in the Ares "Next Generation AEG".

I don't think I am interested in KWA just because of their proprietary parts. I will more than likely be playing woods/field mostly since I can't find a CQB place around me, (Tampa area) but would like a gun that can be used indoor. Give me some ideas please and thanks.

Well then, $250 is a tad high for just your first gun, I'd suggest a G&G combat machine. They are great guns outa the box, besides being picky with mags (talk about this in a bit) its a fantastic and I mean the best starter gun imo.

The body: Its made high grade light weight plastic body, well its really more of a polymer, has metal where youd expect, outter barrel, iron sights, tube for stock, etc, etc. Takes a beating without breaking, but parts do break in time. Now since its such a common gun parts on ebay show up dirt cheap all the time.

Performance: 380 fps, 18-19 bbps rof, 170-180 ft range, and can take a 9.6V battery outa the box. Mine has around 80k thru it and its still kicking. Gearbox shows zero signs of wear.

Now these come in ras moddels, regular m4 models, cqb models, blowback, and different color models. Each varries in performance, mostly due to the barrel length.

The PRICE$: Normally they run $130-160 shipped, however they include no battery and charger (normally included ones with any aeg is poo) buy yourself a smart charger and one or two good intellect 9.6V batteries. Id suggest a 7.4v 40c lipo if you really want good performance and cheap batteries. However most people don't start with lipos. Now even with good batteries and a charger youre still under $200.

The cons: the gun is VERY MAG PICKY. It will take G&G m4 mags and thats it, which cost $20 a mag, however they are nice quality mags.

Iron sights blow, add a sight onto it.

However thats about it.

Take the $250 buy a decent gun, decent batteries and decent mags. Blowing $250 on just the gun is pointless.

Steer away from Ares.

I think you'd be more than happy with something like this:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=6235

Remember to get the battery here: http://www.eliteairsoftbatteries.com/produ...small-type.aspx

Well then, $250 is a tad high for just your first gun, I'd suggest a G&G combat machine. They are great guns outa the box, besides being picky with mags (talk about this in a bit) its a fantastic and I mean the best starter gun imo.

The body: Its made high grade light weight plastic body, well its really more of a polymer, has metal where youd expect, outter barrel, iron sights, tube for stock, etc, etc. Takes a beating without breaking, but parts do break in time. Now since its such a common gun parts on ebay show up dirt cheap all the time.

Performance: 380 fps, 18-19 bbps rof, 170-180 ft range, and can take a 9.6V battery outa the box. Mine has around 80k thru it and its still kicking. Gearbox shows zero signs of wear.

Now these come in ras moddels, regular m4 models, cqb models, blowback, and different color models. Each varries in performance, mostly due to the barrel length.

The PRICE$: Normally they run $130-160 shipped, however they include no battery and charger (normally included ones with any aeg is poo) buy yourself a smart charger and one or two good intellect 9.6V batteries. Id suggest a 7.4v 40c lipo if you really want good performance and cheap batteries. However most people don't start with lipos. Now even with good batteries and a charger youre still under $200.

The cons: the gun is VERY MAG PICKY. It will take G&G m4 mags and thats it, which cost $20 a mag, however they are nice quality mags.

Iron sights blow, add a sight onto it.

However thats about it.

Take the $250 buy a decent gun, decent batteries and decent mags. Blowing $250 on just the gun is pointless.

There is no such thing as a too expensive beginner gun (excluding a $1000 sniper rifle just for show). Usually you get what you pay for, the more expensive the gun, the longer it will last. If you got a $250 budget, get a $250 gun. Gear is also important but I assume he is getting that too and has a separate budget for that.

I don't mean to steer you in a direction you were trying to avoid but what parts in a KWA do you think are proprietary exactly? I own two KWA rifles and the other tech who works at this store owns one as well. My KWA CQB is shooting 35 rps at 380 fps. Swapped out the motor, gears, piston, and piston head with no hassle. The only proprietary part is the air nozzle to my understanding and experience. Why would proprietary parts inside a gearbox bug you if you stated you want something you don't have to mod?

The G&G Combat Machines are awesome. They're pretty nicely reinforced for their price. Also since they're under 200, you can use the saved money to buy yourself some more magazines or gear. It's crazy how much you start to realize that gear can be expensive to investing a little more into gear can be nice.

Edited by Airsoft N More

My suggestion is a Tokyo Marui, it'll last you years without anything needed to be done to it.

I found a few for a really good price a while back, but the links from the site don't work for some reason. Go to www.shortyairsoft.com > Specials > Page 5 > Tokyo Marui M16A2. A brand new retail state-side TM AR for $209 shipped to your door. They also have a few AK variants should your prefer those.

G&P or Tokyo Marui. There is a reason why G&P guns are used for alot of customs, they have steel exteriors, and decent GB's while retaining 100% TM compatiblity. JG's and CYMAs are good base guns if your not sure about the sport, but if your an adult and you make halfway adult decisions then you're probably pretty serious. If this is the case go with the former. If price is really a problem, try to find a gun used, if you buy from a reputable community member all the kinks will be worked out of the gun, and you can often find ludicrous amounts of upgrades at next to nothing prices.

BTW; Florida has a HUGE airsoft scene, they hold the AI 500 event there every year. I would try to find some one in the local community that is good and see if you can get them to mentor you. For gear check out my guide.

Edited by S-17

There is no such thing as a too expensive beginner gun (excluding a $1000 sniper rifle just for show). Usually you get what you pay for, the more expensive the gun, the longer it will last. If you got a $250 budget, get a $250 gun. Gear is also important but I assume he is getting that too and has a separate budget for that.

I lold hard. That is a massively ignorant statement. Just because you pay $250 doesnt mean its going to be better than a $150 gun. Its called over paying. Starting players don't always stick with it, so then you just flushed $250 on a gun. Just because I can steal doesnt mean I do.

Blowback is junk avoid it.

Honestly G&G, JG, TM, CYMA are all good starter brands.

Edited by Dawnzero

I lold hard. That is a massively ignorant statement. Just because you pay $250 doesnt mean its going to be better than a $150 gun. Its called over paying. Starting players don't always stick with it, so then you just flushed $250 on a gun. Just because I can steal doesnt mean I do.

Tm is somewhat expensive too...

Also, if this guy knows what he's doing and research enough, he should be fine with the ares.

Also, EBB is pretty lame. It literally just a waste of space and something more to worry about that's gonna break.

Imo, you can go G&P and then customize the gun into a beast.

Ill put a any $150 combat machine up to a $300 dollar KWA, and we will see what is better. There's no such thing as a full metal, 400 fps, and accurate, gun that costs 100 dollars. If you want all that you have to pay for it. most companies reasonably price there guns for what they are. if you want a high end gun you have to pay a high end price. Also he said he has a 250 dollar gun budget why would he get a much cheaper gun?

Ill put a any $150 combat machine up to a $300 dollar KWA, and we will see what is better. There's no such thing as a full metal, 400 fps, and accurate, gun that costs 100 dollars.

I would take the G&G over KWA any day. Do you honestly think ANY stock gun (KWA included) is that accurate?

Ill put a any $150 combat machine up to a $300 dollar KWA, and we will see what is better. There's no such thing as a full metal, 400 fps, and accurate, gun that costs 100 dollars. If you want all that you have to pay for it. most companies reasonably price there guns for what they are. if you want a high end gun you have to pay a high end price. Also he said he has a 250 dollar gun budget why would he get a much cheaper gun?

G&G combat + r-hop, some mods. Spring + piston+ maybe a gear switch will be less than $100 and it will go farther than a kwa.

G&G combat + r-hop, some mods. Spring + piston+ maybe a gear switch will be less than $100 and it will go farther than a kwa.

The stock G&G will go further than a KWA!

That kwa 2gx bucking puts very little backspin on a BB compared to a standard bucking that the G&G uses.

You must be new to airsoft. "Metal" "400 fps" tipical overpriced aeg for a teenager getting into airsoft. They make metal 400fps guns that are overpriced just to appeal to people like you. If you think paying $250 for a KWA trademark means something, then go ahead and get it.

$250 is FAR from high end, maybe on a childs allowance it might seem high end but its not.

So again, because I can buy Jiff for $2.50 I should because it comes in a metal container. Or should I save myself $1.00 and but Skippy in a high quality plastic jar which hold the peanut butter the same, it just doesnt rust.

Hed spend less on a gun so he doesnt get ripped off like you did. Hed spend less so he can buy more gear or mags. Hed spend less to save money that came from WORKING, not mommy and daddy. Hed spend less to get upgrades like a tightbore, which will make his gun better than your overpriced paper weight. Nuff reasons?

EDIT: Alex is 14 according to his profile, which proves my point.

Please ignore this kind of stupidity, a stock kwa wont be any better because its metal or has 20 more fps. Kiddies get sucked in by high numbers and tbe word metal . Polymer is the way to go, so is a less expencive gun which wont break within 6 months because you paid $250 for pot metal.

Edited by Dawnzero

Ok here's the deal, I am a working adult and can spend whatever I want on a gun. I just want to get the best gun for my money. I figured that $250 is a good start point. I would really hate to spend $150 and find out that I could have had a much better gun for $300. It seems that everyone has an opinion and they are all different. I was looking at the KWA CQR Mod 1, any thoughts. I just read that if you have to replace parts, you have to use the KWA parts. I really just want a gun that I can pummel my friends with. I don't want cheap, but I don't need top of the line. I already have too many expensive hobbies.

Combat machine is one possibility.

You must be new to airsoft. "Metal" "400 fps" tipical overpriced aeg for a teenager getting into airsoft. They make metal 400fps guns that are overpriced just to appeal to people like you. If you think paying $250 for a KWA trademark means something, then go ahead and get it.

$250 is FAR from high end, maybe on a childs allowance it might seem high end but its not.

So again, because I can buy Jiff for $2.50 I should because it comes in a metal container. Or should I save myself $1.00 and but Skippy in a high quality plastic jar which hold the peanut butter the same, it just doesnt rust.

Hed spend less on a gun so he doesnt get ripped off like you did. Hed spend less so he can buy more gear or mags. Hed spend less to save money that came from WORKING, not mommy and daddy. Hed spend less to get upgrades like a tightbore, which will make his gun better than your overpriced paper weight. Nuff reasons?

Please ignore this kind of stupidity, a stock kwa wont be any better because its metal or has 20 more fps. Kiddies get sucked in by high numbers and tbe word metal . Polymer is the way to go, so is a less expencive gun which wont break within 6 months because you paid $250 for pot metal.

Is there a gun recommendation in here somewhere?

I agree completely. But all plastics are polymers, that's another marketing scheme, just like full metal :a-laugh:

Ok here's the deal, I am a working adult and can spend whatever I want on a gun. I just want to get the best gun for my money. I figured that $250 is a good start point. I would really hate to spend $150 and find out that I could have had a much better gun for $300. It seems that everyone has an opinion and they are all different. I was looking at the KWA CQR Mod 1, any thoughts. I just read that if you have to replace parts, you have to use the KWA parts. I really just want a gun that I can pummel my friends with. I don't want cheap, but I don't need top of the line. I already have too many expensive hobbies.

Combat machine is one possibility.

When I first started I felt the same way, But as an adult you'll be happier with a well made, realistic feeling product. I bought a G&G combat machine for my oldest boy, It's been a keeper but doesn't quite cut it for me as an adult & owning several "real" guns to compare it to. I personally am in love with VFC's product line........ KWA's make me scratch my head sometimes....Like a big killer for me & KWA's is that the sight rail is not one piece with the upper receiver. You mount anything up there and in due time it will wobble.

I agree completely. But all plastics are polymers, that's another marketing scheme, just like full metal :a-laugh:

Yes and no, most aegs over $150 are made of high grade polymer similar to kydex, however below that like youre looking at cheap plastic thatd you get on a crossman. They are hardly the same. However I think you ment the wording is the scheme, not the material itself.

G&G R8-L Combat Machine M4 Airsoft AEG B

http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ER-GG-M4-R8L-B.htm

Opinions?

Good shooting gun I'm sure but still externally plastic, Not quite the right "feel" for me if you know what I mean. :) It will "creak" when you twist it & give off that not so reassuring vibe...........

How about this? http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/produc...d=6&cat=329

Edited by Standard4130

Yes and no, most aegs over $150 are made of high grade polymer similar to kydex, however below that like youre looking at cheap plastic thatd you get on a crossman. They are hardly the same. However I think you ment the wording is the scheme, not the material itself.

Yes, I didn't mean all plastics are the same. Some plastic is certainly higher quality than others. The word polymer just doesn't necessary mean its good plastic.

Edited by unlimitedRA1N

G&G R8-L Combat Machine M4 Airsoft AEG B

http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ER-GG-M4-R8L-B.htm

Opinions?

Ive never used that specicic combat machine, but im sure it stands with all the rest. Walmart guns creak, highed grade ones really don't. Metal guns even have play to them. Id get a madbull tightbore preinstalled on that combat mschine, you wont be dissapointed. Besides that get some 7.4v 40c 2s lipos off hobbyking for 9 bucks, grab a pack of smalll tamiya adapters, and a lipo charger (shouldnt be more than 35 bucks to your door) slap that lipo in and enjoy. The 7.4v 40c will shoot a tad better than a NIHM 9.6v which almost all guns can handle stock. You get better performance, longer life and its smller from lipos at half the cost.

I said 400 fps, full metal and accurate because thats what a lot of other people seem to want in their gun, I couldn't care less. I have $600 dollars into my kwa and it works fine. I play cqb so it only shoots 300fps, but gets 22rps, and has not failed me yet. I honestly don't care if the gun is metal, most of my guns are plastic. My KWA internals are mostly stock and the gun has proved its worth. My close freind had a g&g combat machine which broke after 3 months, he ended up puting $1200 dollars to try and fix it, and it still has a broken gearbox and doesn't work. I just made a comparison to a KWA because it is around $300. I could say VFC, G&P, or Systema instead.

I said 400 fps, full metal and accurate because thats what a lot of other people seem to want in their gun, I couldn't care less. I have $600 dollars into my kwa and it works fine. I play cqb so it only shoots 300fps, but gets 22rps, and has not failed me yet. I honestly don't care if the gun is metal, most of my guns are plastic. My KWA internals are mostly stock and the gun has proved its worth. My close freind had a g&g combat machine which broke after 3 months, he ended up puting $1200 dollars to try and fix it, and it still has a broken gearbox and doesn't work. I just made a comparison to a KWA because it is around $300. I could say VFC, G&P, or Systema instead.

Quit talking outa your rear kid. You said full metal 400 fps because thats what you and every other kid who gets into the sport wants. Apparently you do care since your bringing it up. If you had to put $600 of your parents money into a gun for it to work "fine" they got ripped off. A "$600" gun that shoots ONLY 22rps is a freggin joke. You mean your springers are plastic which you bought from walmart. Wait you internals are stock? And you $600 into the gun? Wow...... You better be rockin or real eotech or be very very slow in the head, you got ripped kid. Your close friend doesnt exsist and the story never happended. You are talking out your rear, just stop. Your lies are so obvious its utterly disgusting. You made a comparison to kwa cuz its the only thing you have besides crossmann.

$1200 cant fix a $150 gun, Best crock of steamy squizknot I heard all week. My 4 year old god daughter makes up better lies than that one. But she also isnt slow. Go back to school and learn math.

Thank god this forum has an ignore feature, my eyes got sick of being assulted with such ignorant posts.

Edited by Dawnzero

Quit talking outa your rear kid. You said full metal 400 fps because thats what you and every other kid who gets into the sport wants. Apparently you do care since your bringing it up. If you had to put $600 of your parents money into a gun for it to work "fine" they got ripped off. A "$600" gun that shoots ONLY 22rps is a freggin joke. You mean your springers are plastic which you bought from walmart. Wait you internals are stock? And you $600 into the gun? Wow...... You better be rockin or real eotech or be very very slow in the head, you got ripped kid. Your close friend doesnt exsist and the story never happended. You are talking out your rear, just stop. Your lies are so obvious its utterly disgusting. You made a comparison to kwa cuz its the only thing you have besides crossmann.

$1200 cant fix a $150 gun, Best crock of steamy squizknot I heard all week. My 4 year old god daughter makes up better lies than that one. But she also isnt slow. Go back to school and learn math.

Thank god this forum has an ignore feature, my eyes got sick of being assulted with such ignorant posts.

what lies? He had a G&G blowback, he bought a black lower, rear sight, real steal voltor stock, longer outer barrel, a daniel defense ris system, then he wanted it to shoot faster so he got an echo 1 gear set and ran a lipo, he stripped his piston, destroyed his wires and fried 3 motors, in the end he replaced everything except the upper receiver and the gearbox shell. he eventually just ditched the gun and bought a systema ptw.

gun 170

Voltor stock 130

daniel defense 100

motors 60

gears 60

lipos 100

outer barrel 40

springs 40

pistons 30

wires 40

sight 40

red dot 30

lower 20

he also got a crap ton of other stuff that added up to the rest.

Also I never wanted 400 fps. The only place I live near at is TAA, and the limit is 330 fps. I have never even owned a spring gun so...

Also I have two JGs, a kwa, a tanaka python, and im getting a tokyo marui g17. No crossman there. I just get what fits my needs. JGs and Japanese guns work well at the place I play.

OK, Dawnzero and Soaring Alex, you both need to take it down a notch. Perhaps a couple of notches.

Also, interesting to note that there are now polymer lower receivers for r.s. AR-15s. http://www.lw15.com/

Ive already ignored him. Sorry, I cant stand kids on forums who lie to attempt to convey a point. Also tbe reason I generally avoid forums. Oh well back on topic. Combat Machine = good buy.

I personally have a Femme Fatale Combat Machine with a Pinkie Pie paintjob. Aside from the tightbore, the gun is stock. Its my loaner thats never actually been loaned. It has 80-90k round thru it and the gearbox has zero signs of wear. Its quite a nice gun aside from it being front wired. Picked up a cheapy silencer which got a Krylon light pink paintjob, which happens to be the same pink as the gun.

I've heard nothing but good things about this gun ^^^........ It's monolithic so it's very solid. But you are officially in the price range where there are many equally good options.....just to keep that in mind. :)

Update. Today in the mail came a box from Airsplat that my wife had ordered for me and didn't tell me. (she's a good woman). Inside the "Jackpot box", was an APS ASR 101 M4. I don't know anything about this gun, but I watched a couple reviews about it and think it will do nicely for my first gun.

Is there anything on this gun that I should be looking to upgrade out of the box, or is it good out of the box? I wasn't really looking for a blowback gun, but hey it's what I have now. Any suggestions?

I would suggest a good quality metal body clone gun, namely JG, CYMA, D-boys. Cheap, solid and gives you the opportunity/budget to build a gun to your preference, gaining valuable experience on internals and making it viable for you to maintain your AEG's without the need to sending it to other techs.

JG M4 or G36c I tend to recommend most the times.

Update. Today in the mail came a box from Airsplat that my wife had ordered for me and didn't tell me. (she's a good woman). Inside the "Jackpot box", was an APS ASR 101 M4. I don't know anything about this gun, but I watched a couple reviews about it and think it will do nicely for my first gun.

Is there anything on this gun that I should be looking to upgrade out of the box, or is it good out of the box? I wasn't really looking for a blowback gun, but hey it's what I have now. Any suggestions?

Disable the blowback if possible toss in a 363mm 6.03 tightbore and start rockin socks. Id also buy a ras mount for the handguard and toss on a vertical grip for comfert.