Sign in to follow this  
danceswithpellets

Good rifle- hk416/g36/mp5 or other?

my search for my first airsoft gun is beginning to narrow down a bit. My buddy just went all the way and got himself a umarex hk 416 for a whopping $650.00 canadian. Holy cow. I am almost willing to get one of those seeing as how nice it is. The FPS would have to be lowered at a shop for most games but it would certainly suit the task for milsim games- I am thinking as a pair we could run these things with 4x scopes, a ton of camo everything, and play a DMR/ stealth stalking type of game.

But sanity tells me that 650.00 is alot and I can get a decent CA mp5 for about $350.00.

As well, g36 is available for $500.00. Basically I am not super interested in the m4 as I think its overdone. But any advice for a confused newbie would be great folks! Cheers

You could wait till december for a tokyo marui 416 for $900:p. $700 for a stock gun is rediculous unless its unique. $125-$300 is all whats needed for starters. Look at Real sword, tokyo marui, CYMA, DBOYS, etc.

Hold on a second, you contradicted yourself several times there. If you only need $125-$300 for a starter gun, why are you recommending Real Sword?

Just because a gun is more expensive, it doesn't mean it will perform better. I would recommend you look at brands like JG, CYMA, DBOYS, G&G, or G&P. All of those guns make excellent starter guns and are excellent upgrade platforms.

Hold on a second, you contradicted yourself several times there. If you only need $125-$300 for a starter gun, why are you recommending Real Sword?

Just because a gun is more expensive, it doesn't mean it will perform better. I would recommend you look at brands like JG, CYMA, DBOYS, G&G, or G&P. All of those guns make excellent starter guns and are excellent upgrade platforms.

Always stay under $200 for a first gun, alot of people don't end up staying in airsoft after a few times out. Im sick of being ridiculed when I recommend Combat Machines so, just get a ball point pen cut off both ends and you have a perfect cqb blowgun. No batteries, no gas, no problem! Its fueled by your own rage!

Great another wannabe dmr ninja. Quit pretending its cod and buy a freggin bb hose already. Youll never sucessfully slap a scope on a stock gun and be a dmr, youll never want to spend the time and money on making one. Nor is a tech going to make you one. Be a useful player, enough dmr kids in gullie suits alreadly. Jf you really really want to be a dmr, get a decent long barreled etarter gun, g3, m16, psg, etc etc and sink some money into 40-50c lipos a good motor, building a barrel extention that makes topics get locked, rhop, gears, mosfet, etc etc. Skip the wole stock gun witb a scope and mock supressor idea, it just makes yoy another useless tool.

Im not saying you have to spend $900 for a dmr, but the more youre willing to spend the better ut will be. Honestly I built my dmr in under $300 and it performs like a $800 built one. I also bought all my parts from ppl who quit for dirt cheap. If you take your time, you can easiky build a fantastic dmr from a used jg,dboys,cyma model. I bult mine from a jg sg1, it has almost no jg left, infact it even has a full tm body which waz only $30. It looks like a PSG-1 and is quite as hell, reaches out to 280ft ACCURATLY. Grapefruit sized target 8/10 shots. Again thats with homegrown tech work and cheap parts. Id suggest checking craigslist, ebay, the forums, your state forums, etc before buying a $700 stock pos wannabe dmr.

Edited by Dawnzero

thanks for chiming in folks! Im not super afraid to to make the investment as long as it's warranted.

Basically if I get the ridiculously priced VFC I can downgrade the spring for games that allow it but also have the ability to get a bit more range on folks for the woodland games around here that might allow that fps- right?

But Im curious to know if yall think that price is warranted- are there other good options out there that wil do similiar things (metal body, accurate, etc...) and cost less?

another DMR ninja? I don't get it, you might have to explain Ive been too busy having a life(that sometimes involves girls!) to understand your esoteric insults

EDIT: Ahh, see where youre going with this. why wont the VFC make a good DMR, is it an issue of high FPS and not good enough accuracy at longer ranges?

Edited by danceswithpellets

thanks for chiming in folks! Im not super afraid to to make the investment as long as it's warranted.

Basically if I get the ridiculously priced VFC I can downgrade the spring for games that allow it but also have the ability to get a bit more range on folks for the woodland games around here that might allow that fps- right?

But Im curious to know if yall think that price is warranted- are there other good options out there that wil do similiar things (metal body, accurate, etc...) and cost less?

another DMR ninja? I don't get it, you might have to explain Ive been too busy having a life(that sometimes involves girls!) to understand your esoteric insults

EDIT: Ahh, see where youre going with this. why wont the VFC make a good DMR, is it an issue of high FPS and not good enough accuracy at longer ranges?

Lets skip the girl shiz mkay, im married with kids. No stock gun is going to be accurate past 200ft, fps means shiz so does the metal body.

Youll more than likely end up needing a tightbore, might aswell go 509mm. And with rhop and a hard bucking, since youre buying new, your past $800 just for a vfc trademark. A stock used jg g3 witb the same tightbore and hopup will be the same range and accuracy and ariund 400fps anymore is just newbish. Just buy a platform to upgrade, youll spendless and get a better gun in the end.

Also fps doesnt mean more range, barrel quality, length, width, hopup, airseal, et c effect accuracy and range fps is just how fast the bb gets to your target after you fire. Fps means jack without tbe rest.

Edited by Dawnzero

Lets skip the girl shiz mkay, im married with kids. No stock gun is going to be accurate past 200ft, fps means shiz so does the metal body.

Youll more than likely end up needing a tightbore, might aswell go 509mm. And with rhop and a hard bucking, since youre buying new, your past $800 just for a vfc trademark. A stock used jg g3 witb the same tightbore and hopup will be the same range and accuracy and ariund 400fps anymore is just newbish. Just buy a platform to upgrade, youll spendless and get a better gun in the end.

Also fps doesnt mean more range, barrel quality, length, width, hopup, airseal, et c effect accuracy and range fps is just how fast the bb gets to your target after you fire. Fps means jack without tbe rest.

newbie=schooled. thanks.

Ill check out those jg g3s but I havent seen any around here in this frozen crummy country. Any other quality platforms I should look at? Im defs into getting decent kit that I can build up. cheers

I disagree with Dawnzero in that metal bodies do make some deference especially when compared to JG plastic bodies (not performance wise just when holding them and how they look) . Some good options are

For AKs Cyma/Dboys

For M4s JG or Ics Sportlines

For M14s Cyma

For G36s JG

For Mp5s JG/Cyma

Externally these guns will not compare to a VFC 416 though performance wise they will be close. You can get a JG 416 btw. Just google some of those combos and see what you get. I recommend browsing airsoft sites selection and looking under those brands to see what you like. Maybe try and buy an airsoft gun used locally for a discount.

newbie=schooled. thanks.

Ill check out those jg g3s but I havent seen any around here in this frozen crummy country. Any other quality platforms I should look at? Im defs into getting decent kit that I can build up. cheers

Tons jg g3, dboys scar, jg m16/sr25, since you don't like m4s which is a good think its harder to find a decent platform. M4s are in for some reason. You could always do a scout sniper/spotter role. Honestly I think thatd be the best if you plan on playing with your friend. Id let him use his overpriced bbhose and build a nice dmr if I were you. Fals are nice and uncommon but so are externals and its hard to find under 300-400. The few options besides m4s that still retain customization while being cheap are your best bet. The m16 could be a nice dmr start also. Plus you can find mags fairly easy. Sig552s are another cheap uncommon platform. But mags are a pain to find cheap.

Metal vs plastic is another topic. I find the lot metal guns annoying, finicky, and problematic. Seen more metal bodied guns break than I have plastic. Also pkastics are cheaper to replace if they do break. Most likely after you toss metal ras kits on guns, metal mounts/scopes you wont care if it waz made from cowpies as long as it shoots fine and doesnt weight 15 pounds. Unless youre used to carrying a metAl gun all day I wouldnt. Itsa overbearing and unessacary. Plus a mstal big a&! Dmr, no thanks.

Edited by Dawnzero

For a G36 you could check out JG... The full sized versions are nice platforms for DMRs I think and if you want you could slap on a drum mag and 9.6 and you get a support weapon.

And Dawnzero, I understand that there are a lot of Codsofters and they are about as annoying as chopped liver in a vegan factory, but some people who are new to the sport probably have experience with real weapons and can sight in a scope the correct way, attach a suppressor and deal with range problems as it happens. Don't bash on their dreams, Santa might bash on yours or whatever. :P

For a G36 you could check out JG... The full sized versions are nice platforms for DMRs I think and if you want you could slap on a drum mag and 9.6 and you get a support weapon.

And Dawnzero, I understand that there are a lot of Codsofters and they are about as annoying as chopped liver in a vegan factory, but some people who are new to the sport probably have experience with real weapons and can sight in a scope the correct way, attach a suppressor and deal with range problems as it happens. Don't bash on their dreams, Santa might bash on yours or whatever. :P

You can be new and sight in a scope and add a supressor all you want, doesnt make the gun a dmr tho. Santa hasnt visited my house in 16 years. Bashing is one thing, providing useful info on how to go about msking a real dmr is another. Try reading the whole thread before tossing out accusations.

Something else to consider is to purchase your desired gun internationally and have it shipped to you in a way that won't have the gun seized [I believe Evike has a Canadian Customs Compliance service]. Seeing as the retail price of airsoft guns in insane up in Canada [often 2-3x what we consider normal], it may be worth the effort. The same applies for aftermarket upgrades should you choose to do so.

Also, there's no need for raging at a new player Dawnzero. Informative and condescending don't have to go hand and hand. Also, just as a heads up, seeing as the OP lives in Canada, everything is EXTREMELY more expensive for him. Plastic bodied G&G Combat Machines go for around $330-350 retail up there, and Lonex motors go for around $75. Your thrift setup would be impossible for him (seeing the scarcity of the sport in Canada in relation to the US, and the shipping restrictions for US to Canada), and aftermarket upgrades would be difficult and insanely expensive compared to our standards.

Something else to consider is to purchase your desired gun internationally and have it shipped to you in a way that won't have the gun seized [I believe Evike has a Canadian Customs Compliance service]. Seeing as the retail price of airsoft guns in insane up in Canada [often 2-3x what we consider normal], it may be worth the effort. The same applies for aftermarket upgrades should you choose to do so.

Also, there's no need for raging at a new player Dawnzero. Informative and condescending don't have to go hand and hand. Also, just as a heads up, seeing as the OP lives in Canada, everything is EXTREMELY more expensive for him. Plastic bodied G&G Combat Machines go for around $330-350 retail up there, and Lonex motors go for around $75. Your thrift setup would be impossible for him (seeing the scarcity of the sport in Canada in relation to the US, and the shipping restrictions for US to Canada), and aftermarket upgrades would be difficult and insanely expensive compared to our standards.

Can you simple minded children read? At what point did rage occur. Guiding someone away from playing like cod is not rage. Grow up and quit using 14 year old internet terms. I'll convey my point however I please, also it would not, clearly you don't know much about customs. Often buying from people and not retail stores would be much easier. They can list the parts as RC and they go right thru customs. As far as the whole gun, often retailers ship it taken apart when going to canada, again it goes thru customs. Its just as cheap as it is here. If you want to go the hard way and pay out your rear just to be honest, be my guest.

Ive shipped many items to canada including a tm mp5k, which had zero problems in customs when shipped in peices. Often sellers are more than willing to accommodate a buyer.

You can be new and sight in a scope and add a supressor all you want, doesnt make the gun a dmr tho. Santa hasnt visited my house in 16 years. Bashing is one thing, providing useful info on how to go about msking a real dmr is another. Try reading the whole thread before tossing out accusations.

DMR is Designated Marksman Rifle. It is an assault rifle slightly modified to engage enemies at a longer range. So a scope, suppressor, upgraded spring etc. would be fine I think. Never really built one. Unless you count one badass 10/22.

Santa gives you coal dude. :P But not trying to accuse you completely, you were a little harsh at one point. That's all. No need to fuss. Eat some pie. It's calming.

Canada prices are insane! I thought I had it bad in the UK...

Anyways, having a gun shipped in parts will be the best way. We have laws in the UK limiting black bodied replicas to airsoft skirmishing registered people, if you aren't registered they have to be painted 51% bright and unrealistic colour. However I just ordered (my 2nd AEG) from china and am having it shipped in two packages, one with the empty body, the other with the internals. I've had a couple friends who did this and got their AEG's through customs no problems.

Anyways, so yeah rather than paying them insane prices, you can buy a JG G36 with the upgrade parts you want all from one place and have it shipped in a few seperate packages. I'm sure it'll still work out way cheaper!

DMR is Designated Marksman Rifle. It is an assault rifle slightly modified to engage enemies at a longer range. So a scope, suppressor, upgraded spring etc. would be fine I think. Never really built one. Unless you count one badass 10/22.

Santa gives you coal dude. :P But not trying to accuse you completely, you were a little harsh at one point. That's all. No need to fuss. Eat some pie. It's calming.

If springs scopes and silencers gave you range, id agree. Too bad they don't. Infact aside from the spring its cosmetic. If your going to do the dmr role, do it right. Slapping a scoe and a supperessor on a stock jg, doesnt make it a dmr, it does make it look cooler, but not a dmr. To effectivly utilize a dmr in airsoft, you either need deep pockets, or a eye for savings. Youll need range and accuracy, not something that comes with cosmetic and fps upgrades.

Like s1k and I said, in peices is best. And its cheaper. Youll pay more for shipping, but it beats the triple cost of an aeg.

Edited by Dawnzero

Canada prices are insane! I thought I had it bad in the UK...

Anyways, having a gun shipped in parts will be the best way. We have laws in the UK limiting black bodied replicas to airsoft skirmishing registered people, if you aren't registered they have to be painted 51% bright and unrealistic colour. However I just ordered (my 2nd AEG) from china and am having it shipped in two packages, one with the empty body, the other with the internals. I've had a couple friends who did this and got their AEG's through customs no problems.

Anyways, so yeah rather than paying them insane prices, you can buy a JG G36 with the upgrade parts you want all from one place and have it shipped in a few seperate packages. I'm sure it'll still work out way cheaper!

thats pretty smart. Ill ask around!

Also- probably just easier to go online and get a gun. I am lazy heheheh.

And Im almost crazy enough to drop $600 on a VFC hk 416 apparently...

Edited by danceswithpellets

If springs scopes and silencers gave you range, id agree. Too bad they don't. Infact aside from the spring its cosmetic. If your going to do the dmr role, do it right. Slapping a scoe and a supperessor on a stock jg, doesnt make it a dmr, it does make it look cooler, but not a dmr. To effectivly utilize a dmr in airsoft, you either need deep pockets, or a eye for savings. Youll need range and accuracy, not something that comes with cosmetic and fps upgrades.

Like s1k and I said, in peices is best. And its cheaper. Youll pay more for shipping, but it beats the triple cost of an aeg.

Actually, all you really need to make an effective DMR is a fair amount of technical knowledge. While expensive parts are helpful [utilizing the deep pockets/thrifty tendencies], if I spend about $40 on retail parts [fair price, someone else isn't eating a major loss, etc.] I can make a stock JG outperform/outrange most actual DMR's you'd find on an average field.

Back on topic, <AT>dances, just get whatever you think would suit you best. If you're willing to drop $600 on a VFC 416, go right a head. If you want to tacti-cool it out, go right ahead. I mean, it's your money after all. Enjoy it how you want.

Well I am not very technical with motors and all, so my knowledge stops there unless I take one apart. Which I won't at the moment. I am dandy with what I have.

And it technically does make it a DMR. Just not a very good one.