Sign in to follow this  
ihelfric

Starting M4 - G&P Magpul PTS MOE M4 Carbine AEG ?

I am brand new to airsoft as a hobby but used to milsim as, well, milsim training for tactical purposes. Never actually had to buy my own gear before and I'm new to the brands.

What is the public consensus on G&P's Magul M4 AEG ($350)? I want something that will last a while while retaining that upgradeability factor and so far that bad-boy looks good.

Thoughts?

I am brand new to airsoft as a hobby but used to milsim as, well, milsim training for tactical purposes. Never actually had to buy my own gear before and I'm new to the brands.

What is the public consensus on G&P's Magul M4 AEG ($350)? I want something that will last a while while retaining that upgradeability factor and so far that bad-boy looks good.

Thoughts?

Well here's the thing.

EVERY AEG out there need some sort of tune-up or small upgrades for durability.

For G&P, new piston and gears are recommended. Stock parts will last but those are recommended.

Adding a MOSFET is also a good idea if you plan to run on lipo batteries.

G&P has nice externals so no need to worry about the externals.

However if you plan to throw on a suppressor or whatnot, the barrel has clock-wise threading so you may or may not need an adapter.

Well here's the thing.

EVERY AEG out there need some sort of tune-up or small upgrades for durability.

For G&P, new piston and gears are recommended. Stock parts will last but those are recommended.

Adding a MOSFET is also a good idea if you plan to run on lipo batteries.

G&P has nice externals so no need to worry about the externals.

However if you plan to throw on a suppressor or whatnot, the barrel has clock-wise threading so you may or may not need an adapter.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Do you know anything about this gun's performance in general?

From my personal experiences, all of the G&Ps that I've owned/worked on shoot from 390~410fps.

I've heard some people said that their CQB variants shoots 350fps.

RPS is around 20~28 depending on the battery.

Seems reasonable. I'm looking forward to it soon.

I guess my main concern is wondering if this is the best gun for the money, but I'm guessing so at this point.

Well, all of the guns have pros and cons....just look for the ones that you like and not overpriced.

I own a stock G&P m4 (not the magpul one but there the same rifle just different externals) and I get 22-24 rps on a 9.6v intellect. Ive heard of the stock gears being terrible and the posts breaking but Ive put about 50,000 rounds through it in the past 6 months (I shoot alot....) and there not showing any signs of wear. I highly recommend G&P for there external and internal quality.

Most of my guns are G&P. And my daughter has the specific gun you are asking about. I changed the gears and the piston, as well as adjusted AOE and reshimmed. Gun has well over 150k shots through it. It is my most reliable gun in my collection.

On all of my G&P guns, the axles on the Spur gear has failed. ALL OF THEM... The Magpul version had this failure, BUT it worked fine. The only sign of issue was a slight screech when firing. The way the axle fails can allow the gear to stay in place, especiialy if it was shimmed correctly.

I will continue to buy them. I am a fan. G&P has earned my support. I recommened anyone buying one prepare to buy a spare gearset and piston in anticipation of the failure. I use JG gears as replacements, and was able to buy them at $8 a set from Ehobby (Currently Sold out), but I plan to try the ARMY brand they have at the same price, they look exactly the same, but only testing them will I be certain.