xtlc2003

M4 gas powered under $200

Hey guys I'm new here and I was looking to get into Airsoft not so much for competition or recreational combat but for simply range shooting. I'm actually very new to guns period but anyway, my kids and I went to a local gun store and they had this real nice real authentic looking gas powered M4 (said they had just sold 6 to the local police department for training) that felt great. It supposedly was all steel and built to accept actual M4 accessories. Don't know if that's true but I'll believe him, the problem is that they want $400 for it and that's out of my price range when I can get an actual M4 for $800 and an actual AK for $600. I really want to keep it under $200 (because I want one for each of my kids).

Here's the kicker I think I'd prefer Gas powered as opposed to electric because and I don't know but I understand that the Gas Powered give you the most realistic feel when shooting. I hear Gas Powered can be a little more expensive to maintain and not so reliable in the cold but I'm in South Texas, we worry about the cold maybe 3 to 4 days a year.

Anyway any information would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to order something by next week to have it in time for Christmas.

http://www.airsoftgi.com/index.php?cPath=1...arch_results=50

There's a list of a bunch of GBBRs with a decent bit under 200, although I do not know how a gas rifle will perform if its built to cost under 200 dollars, I've never shot one before. Just providing you with a list to look from and names to look up more facts on.

http://www.airsoftgi.com/index.php?cPath=1...arch_results=50

There's a list of a bunch of GBBRs with a decent bit under 200, although I do not know how a gas rifle will perform if its built to cost under 200 dollars, I've never shot one before. Just providing you with a list to look from and names to look up more facts on.

Those G&G gbbrs don't have any of the features of a real gbbr, OP would be better off with an AEG instead. $200 won't get you anywhere with gas rifles unfortunately. A kjw 10/22 should be pretty cheap in the states though.

Those G&G gbbrs don't have any of the features of a real gbbr, OP would be better off with an AEG instead. $200 won't get you anywhere with gas rifles unfortunately. A kjw 10/22 should be pretty cheap in the states though.

<AT> borcky, thanks for the list, there are some high priced ones there too, gives me a good idea of range to quality.

<AT> Disco_Dante, I agree I think to keep it within the realm of my $200 to $250 budget and get something good I may need to get an AEG. MY ONLY real sticking point is feel and recoil. I don't need it to be a GBBR but I do want it to have a decent amount of recoil, it doesn't even need to be Full Metal as long as the recoil is as close to realistic as possible. I read you can mod your AEG to increase the recoil with a heavier spring but that you can significantly reduce the life of the gun doing that.

Recoil, weight, and feel are really my only concerns. We're not into competitions, even local events so FPS and other factors aren't important. Any manufacturer recommendations would be appreciated

<AT> borcky, thanks for the list, there are some high priced ones there too, gives me a good idea of range to quality.

<AT> Disco_Dante, I agree I think to keep it within the realm of my $200 to $250 budget and get something good I may need to get an AEG. MY ONLY real sticking point is feel and recoil. I don't need it to be a GBBR but I do want it to have a decent amount of recoil, it doesn't even need to be Full Metal as long as the recoil is as close to realistic as possible. I read you can mod your AEG to increase the recoil with a heavier spring but that you can significantly reduce the life of the gun doing that.

Recoil, weight, and feel are really my only concerns. We're not into competitions, even local events so FPS and other factors aren't important. Any manufacturer recommendations would be appreciated

You won't get any recoil from an AEG by upgrading the spring, unfortunately. There are electric guns with recoil engines, the Tokyo Marui recoil shock guns are probably the best of the bunch, and possibly even have a functioning bolt stop, I'm not 100% sure on that though. They are actually more expensive than a GBBR however.

If you really want feel and recoil, I'd double your budget. If you want reliability, feel and recoil, you'll need to go even higher. In your price range you really are restricted to just AEGs. Actually, you could get a GBB machine pistol, and that might suit you well. A KWA mp9 is only $215 on airsoftgi. That might be a good compromise, you'll have an affordable gun, and the realism that you're looking for.

Honestly,

You can't compare Real Steel prices to Airsoft.

Airsoft GBBR Rifles will cost more and that is a fact of the industry. They are made in Asia and shipped to the US....etc.

You can have some units brokered and that will eliminate a lot of cost, but they still will average 300.00 shipped. Then you need mags, and each mag is $40+ for good ones.

You have to look at the cost this way.

You can buy a real AR, but that is a weapon where you "destroy" your target.

With a GBBR, your target can play another round.

And when you see the insides of a good GBBR...you will know why its as expensive as it is.

Here's a peek.

5180074903_e15dcab69f_b.jpg

But you have to understand, simulated recoil from an "airgun" (that works on identical principles) can never equal the bang of a Firearm. However if you have a TTR...then a GBBR is the same in recoil.

Shame that WE guns have crap mags and sometimes crap internals.

The mags are pretty good, the internals are usually crap. My AK mags and second generation M4 mags are rock solid, no leaks whatsoever. Internals are made of cheese. So you take the price of the gun, and add about $100 for the RA-tech or CWI bits. The RA-Tech bits will probably be a bit off spec, so you spend some time with a file on those. Ultimately, when you are done, you have a rock solid GBBR. I don't mind putting work into my guns, especially when they're as easy to work on as GBBRs are.

Anyways I don't see anyone recommending he get a WE.

If you really want feel and recoil, I'd double your budget. If you want reliability, feel and recoil, you'll need to go even higher. In your price range you really are restricted to just AEGs. Actually, you could get a GBB machine pistol, and that might suit you well. A KWA mp9 is only $215 on airsoftgi. That might be a good compromise, you'll have an affordable gun, and the realism that you're looking for.

I'll have to echo that. Lowering your budget will compromise alot, especially in the GBBR market. Either go AEG, or downgrade from full sized rifles.

I'll have to echo that. Lowering your budget will compromise alot, especially in the GBBR market. Either go AEG, or downgrade from full sized rifles.

Thanks a bunch guys. No I understand that, there's no simulating the real thing. I'm very new to arms period. I'm actually in the market for an AK-47, one shop locally has one (AK-47) for about $600 and he said this particular model shoots it's standard round and can be modified to shoot a .22, big money saver. They have ARs to for $800 or so, these are the real deal guns but the recoil and danger factor is still to high for my kids (they're 7 and 9) so I want to start them of with an Airsoft, moderate recoil, moderate danger but want realistic feel. Anyway when I can get a good real deal rifle from $600 to $800 it's hard to justify an Airsoft for $400 (they have a sweet one for $400). I don't know the brand of the one they had though but it was nice, it was a GBB and it felt good.

It's a shame that there's no intermediate brand for GBB, we're not into "war games" or anything like that, we play the CoD games online for that. We just want to target practice and GBB seems like a good intro for my kids for the real deal. I thought maybe I could set up a few stations in the back yard for them to have war games later on if they were into it but again I wanted an Airsoft GBB mostly for "sense of realism" not for the reliability in "war games"

Thanks a bunch guys. No I understand that, there's no simulating the real thing. I'm very new to arms period. I'm actually in the market for an AK-47, one shop locally has one (AK-47) for about $600 and he said this particular model shoots it's standard round and can be modified to shoot a .22, big money saver. They have ARs to for $800 or so, these are the real deal guns but the recoil and danger factor is still to high for my kids (they're 7 and 9) so I want to start them of with an Airsoft, moderate recoil, moderate danger but want realistic feel. Anyway when I can get a good real deal rifle from $600 to $800 it's hard to justify an Airsoft for $400 (they have a sweet one for $400). I don't know the brand of the one they had though but it was nice, it was a GBB and it felt good.

It's a shame that there's no intermediate brand for GBB, we're not into "war games" or anything like that, we play the CoD games online for that. We just want to target practice and GBB seems like a good intro for my kids for the real deal. I thought maybe I could set up a few stations in the back yard for them to have war games later on if they were into it but again I wanted an Airsoft GBB mostly for "sense of realism" not for the reliability in "war games"

Hmm, GBBRs require a degree of competency and maintenance that you typically don't find in children. If you're buying GBBRs for your kids, you are going to end up spending an inordinate amount of time tinkering with their toys. If you want to teach them safe handling and weapon discipline, as well as plinking at targets, I really would recommend just getting electric guns. Plenty of kids have had their first experience with a gun using a 10/22, if you want to teach them to shoot real rifles, take them to a range and rent some .22 rifles.

Plinking in the backyard with GBBRs is a lot of fun of course, but with 30 round magazines you will spend more time loading the one mag that each rifle comes with than you will watching your kids shoot. Extra magazines will quickly outpace the cost of the rifle itself, they're between $40-$60 a pop.

Hmm, GBBRs require a degree of competency and maintenance that you typically don't find in children. If you're buying GBBRs for your kids, you are going to end up spending an inordinate amount of time tinkering with their toys. If you want to teach them safe handling and weapon discipline, as well as plinking at targets, I really would recommend just getting electric guns. Plenty of kids have had their first experience with a gun using a 10/22, if you want to teach them to shoot real rifles, take them to a range and rent some .22 rifles.

Plinking in the backyard with GBBRs is a lot of fun of course, but with 30 round magazines you will spend more time loading the one mag that each rifle comes with than you will watching your kids shoot. Extra magazines will quickly outpace the cost of the rifle itself, they're between $40-$60 a pop.

400.00 seems steep for a low-end GBBR. Ask what brand it is...

No I understand they're more complicated. The salesman at the local gun shop gave us a quick run through and they require maintenance. I realize that I'd have to work with them regarding such things. If I was just going to buy an Airsoft for the sake of playing then I'd probably go with a $50 to $150 AEG. That way the kids can shoot each other to their hearts content but from what I saw on the internet (youtube) although their is a great deal of realism in the look of a plain jane AEG there's nothing real about it in the feel, the sound, the recoil, it just didn't seem worth it..... Unfortunately it seems like I may need to go in that direction....

400.00 seems steep for a low-end GBBR. Ask what brand it is...

I don't thin it was low end. If anything if felt high end. He showed me the little details about it. He let us fire it and it felt great, the feel, the sound (it was obviously not a real bullet fire sound but it didn't sound whiny), and the recoil was great. The recoil was AWESOME, it wasn't really close to the real thing but it was there and it was pronounce, great amount of recoil for the kids. Plus it was full metal and would accept the attachments of an actual AR, I honestly thought it was high end so I figured I could get away with $200 or $300 on the internet. I'm thinking either I am looking for a mid-tier gun or the gun store had a hell of a price

Depending on how brave you are, how much you know about real AR's, and how badly you want to teach your kids about gun safety and such, a G&P woc challenge kit may be a good choice. These rifles are 95% disassembled and require you to put them together. I just put one together yesterday and it was interesting. You will definitely learn everything about your rifle by putting it together piece by piece. These rifle kits are sold mainly on evike.com and sell for $200-230. Recently, they have had very good coupon codes so you would be able to buy one for under $200, with shipping. They don't come with a mag, though, so you'd have to buy one somewhere else because evike is sold out of the good mags. This, of course, is just a suggestion, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I don't thin it was low end. If anything if felt high end. He showed me the little details about it. He let us fire it and it felt great, the feel, the sound (it was obviously not a real bullet fire sound but it didn't sound whiny), and the recoil was great. The recoil was AWESOME, it wasn't really close to the real thing but it was there and it was pronounce, great amount of recoil for the kids. Plus it was full metal and would accept the attachments of an actual AR, I honestly thought it was high end so I figured I could get away with $200 or $300 on the internet. I'm thinking either I am looking for a mid-tier gun or the gun store had a hell of a price

If you're buying in person, bring a magnet with you. If the internals aren't steel, then you're going to have problems at some point.

one shop locally has one (AK-47) for about $600 and he said this particular model shoots it's standard round and can be modified to shoot a .22, big money saver

This does not exist (unless the guy is referring to an unobtainable conversion kit no longer made, produced by someone who has been convicted of fraud). He is trying to pull one over on you- one does not simply convert an AK to .22LR.

This does not exist (unless the guy is referring to an unobtainable conversion kit no longer made, produced by someone who has been convicted of fraud). He is trying to pull one over on you- one does not simply convert an AK to .22LR.

I assume for $600 it was not a top of the line AK and I know there's no simple way to convert arms from one caliber to another. As far as unobtainable kits, that I don't know either, I did assume there was not some simple 5 minute solution for this conversion. He never showed me specifics because I didn't ask but I assumed it was some combination of a barrel mod/change and or some chamber receiver conversion too, all probably time consuming. All in all the idea became less appealing to me because one small mistake and I could have an exploding gun in my hand. I'm a Newbie and the last thing I'm comfortable working on is the internals of an actual gun aside from cleaning it.

PS: The "high end" I was referring to was the M4 GGB full metal airsoft rifle he was selling,,,, that was sweet. I can try to get a brand name but it feels shading me getting information from him just to go and buy it somewhere else. I've been thinking about it and I think I'll probably take my kids to the local Bass Pro and see what they like and maybe come back here and ask for some info from you guys on a brand with that price range but better quality..... regardless you guys have been extremely helpful

G&G had gas blow backs now for cheap

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPat...oducts_id=39798

We've already been over those, they won't give him any of the realism he's looking for. Doesn't have full bolt travel, doesn't have a bolt catch, plastic mechbox shell with a metal bolt slamming around inside of it...

We've already been over those, they won't give him any of the realism he's looking for. Doesn't have full bolt travel, doesn't have a bolt catch, plastic mechbox shell with a metal bolt slamming around inside of it...

I was speaking to the kiddos, (PS: they know this is NOT a gift from "Santa" so they know that if they get an Airsoft it'll be from me and they'll already know they're going to get it, no surprises for this one) and I may end up getting one (a full metal realistic feel one) for the both of them to share and then two more cheaper AEGs so that at least opens up my options. We're going to go to the Bass Pro shop and look at them (AEGs) there and once we find something they like I'll give you guys a buzz as to something comparable with better quality so they can shoot the hell out of each other in the back yard. Then we'll shoot down range with the better higher power realistic feel GBB. I think that's where I'm heading with the Airsoft thing.

I was speaking to the kiddos, (PS: they know this is NOT a gift from "Santa" so they know that if they get an Airsoft it'll be from me and they'll already know they're going to get it, no surprises for this one) and I may end up getting one (a full metal realistic feel one) for the both of them to share and then two more cheaper AEGs so that at least opens up my options. We're going to go to the Bass Pro shop and look at them (AEGs) there and once we find something they like I'll give you guys a buzz as to something comparable with better quality so they can shoot the hell out of each other in the back yard. Then we'll shoot down range with the better higher power realistic feel GBB. I think that's where I'm heading with the Airsoft thing.

That seems like a good compromise, I'm sure they'll be thrilled.

Your not going t find anything of quality to compare to at a Bass Pro Shop, or Cabella's or Gander Mountain...

Those places sell the low end AEG that you can't handle, you know...the items in the blister packaging....

Completely agree 100%, but if my kids get into Airsoft for more than range shooting then I'd rather them tear apart $60 to $80 guns and then we can either fire a good to mid quality GBB downrange and or an actual rifle. No doubt that considering both my kids are into the same things (and that 's because one's a girl) it's hard to buy TWO high end things that are basically the same thing. Unfortunately we didn't make it out to Bass Pro, maybe today. I did though continue my research on the internet and ran into a few reviews etc. I'm either going to do what I suggested before I may do, get a couple of low end AEGs for them to play with and then one high/mid end GGB for the family OR I'm going to get a couple of mid-range GBB.

I've been looking further at a few reviews and I'm now convinced that the unit that I saw at the local gun store was either King Arms M4 GBB or something similar. He said it was full metal, which in that case I'm wrong but I've seen a few reviews of the King Arms M4 and it looks, sounds, and moves like the one that I saw at the store. Most reviews mention the authenticity of weight and feel despite it being a Nylon Fiber receiver. The units I'm looking at are the King Arms (KA-AG-106) Colt M4A1 RIS Nylon Fiber Rifle with GHK GBB Kit or the King Arms (KA-AG-105) Colt M4A1 Nylon Fiber Rifle with GHK GBB Kit, both look pretty sweet and in the review videos shoot just like the one in the store. Best of all they're around $250 to $300, which is higher than I originally wanted to pay but I think considering our very "recreational" usage may just be a perfect fit. Also some earlier Disco Dante mentioned that he was surprised no one had recommended a WE yet so I looked them up. They are a little higher, from what I'm desiring probably around the $275 to $325 range but also look very firm, the only bad side was no marking and a few people I read felt the paint marred easily.

Other than that for our "usage" either the King Arms and/or WE model M4s seem to fit the bill in both realism and price. If I want realism I'm never truly going to get it with actually firing an M4 and then I'm only limited to Semi-auto. From the product descriptions, what I've read, and what I've seen (YoutTube reviews) both these series seem to have a solid combination of recoil, feel, and weight at an affordable price. I'm thinking, from what the local gun store salesman told me I may have been initially asking for too much. I believe either of those two options will give me the feel and look of what my kids and shot at the gun shop.....

You guys have been a HUGE help, I'm so new to this all you talk helped me view things I would have never thought to consider in an Airsoft

These:

"...The units I'm looking at are the King Arms (KA-AG-106) Colt M4A1 RIS Nylon Fiber Rifle with GHK GBB Kit or the King Arms (KA-AG-105) Colt M4A1 Nylon Fiber Rifle with GHK GBB Kit, both look pretty sweet and in the review videos shoot just like the one in the store..."

Are not good deals.

I put one of those GHK kits into a G&P receiver and this is the result:

a hybrid of a AEG and Gas mechbox....not impressive and very far from being like a real AR.

This is a better option:

You can source these for 350.00

And there there are the "challenge" kits. Build your own gas AR...

These:

"...The units I'm looking at are the King Arms (KA-AG-106) Colt M4A1 RIS Nylon Fiber Rifle with GHK GBB Kit or the King Arms (KA-AG-105) Colt M4A1 Nylon Fiber Rifle with GHK GBB Kit, both look pretty sweet and in the review videos shoot just like the one in the store..."

Are not good deals.

I put one of those GHK kits into a G&P receiver and this is the result:

a hybrid of a AEG and Gas mechbox....not impressive and very far from being like a real AR.

This is a better option:

You can source these for 350.00

And there there are the "challenge" kits. Build your own gas AR...

Please bare with me, I'm new to this and don't mean to argue a point especially if I'm wrong but,,,, again I apologize for my ignorance but wouldn't your experience with a G&P receiver using a GHK GBB Kit not be tellingof how the King Arms receiver would fair with it? The unit in the Youtube video is a G&P, again I apologize if in fact King Arms and G&P have the exact same receiver hence would produce the exact same effect.

Also your better options youtube link for about $350, please I SUPER APPRECIATE the help but that link is the same link as the 1st for the G&P, I think it was just a copy/paste error. I'd really appreciate that link.

The challenge kit honestly SOUNDS AWESOME but that would be a project for me to do on my spare time. The kids want to shoot asap, I think a Kit plus some cheapy AEGs may work so the kids have immediate fun then we can all work together on the build together. Sadly I don't think the Kit will be an option either way because currently I'm living in Mexico (on the border) and commute daily. The kids and I would play at my house or my parents house in the US but a build (Kit) would need to be done in Mex and I'm not certain I want or can be crossing an authentic looking GBB.

Please bare with me, I'm new to this and don't mean to argue a point especially if I'm wrong but,,,, again I apologize for my ignorance but wouldn't your experience with a G&P receiver using a GHK GBB Kit not be tellingof how the King Arms receiver would fair with it? The unit in the Youtube video is a G&P, again I apologize if in fact King Arms and G&P have the exact same receiver hence would produce the exact same effect.

Also your better options youtube link for about $350, please I SUPER APPRECIATE the help but that link is the same link as the 1st for the G&P, I think it was just a copy/paste error. I'd really appreciate that link.

The challenge kit honestly SOUNDS AWESOME but that would be a project for me to do on my spare time. The kids want to shoot asap, I think a Kit plus some cheapy AEGs may work so the kids have immediate fun then we can all work together on the build together. Sadly I don't think the Kit will be an option either way because currently I'm living in Mexico (on the border) and commute daily. The kids and I would play at my house or my parents house in the US but a build (Kit) would need to be done in Mex and I'm not certain I want or can be crossing an authentic looking GBB.

Oh no, here to help. But, you have to take an concept low cost and quality in a GBBR as something that is Not related. Cheap to a certain point, is not good - period.

What receiver you put that kit in does not matter. Its just a gas mechbox and it looks like this:

6697615915_ce6c9c19a7_b.jpg

And split apart looks like this.

6697617241_54b445136d_b.jpg

In no way does this device work like a real GBBR.

If you fire a string of shots greater than 5 it will lower the operating pressure.

It does not lock the bolt to the rear when empty. This the video I wanted to post for you on a decent GBBR:

Your going to have to keep the Airsoft guns in the US...for simplicity and avoiding customs issues.