Sign in to follow this  
deathgfx

[BEGINNER] A&K Full Metal M249 MKI, PARA, or MKII (2)

I have many friends who are into airsoft, so I want to give it a shot *pun*. I don't know anything about the different classes (positions?), but I assume different gun styles are more beneficial.

I am interested in the A&K Full Metal M249 (as recommended by friends), but I'm not sure what style I want.

MK1

A%26K-MK1.gif

PARA

A%26K-PARA.gif

MK2

A%26K-MK2.gif

Also, I may eventually be interested in a Polar Star mod (I honestly don't know what it is, but it seems like it automatically makes you a badas.

Can someone explain the different positions of the typical game, and what this gun would do?

Also, what style of this gun should I get, or if not this gun, what gun should I get as a beginner (**I don't want a wallmart piece of crap if I am going in the same group as my friends).

Commonly at such venues you can carry as much ammo as you like, so any gun can become the garden hose of death. For events that have specific equipment requirements, such as mid capacity non winding magazines only for rifles, drums/boxes for machine guns, etc then it makes sense to put some more thought and attention to detail in it. If you plan on attending events with few restrictions then a SAW may not be the best choice.

Check out the subforum for retailers to see where is the best place for you to buy.

For the price of those SAWs, you could afford to get a solid M4 or AK style AEGs that could be further worked out to really trick it out.

I personally prefer shorter guns whenever applicable, although my own SAW is a CYMA RPK.

Edited by SecondWind

I think this gun will be fine as a beginner's gun. The only thing that isn't good is that working on these gear boxes will be diferent and I don't think there are as many guides to these gear boxes as there are to V2's or V3's. However, I normally break airsoft into a couple "classes" and I consider these to be Support Gunners. Basically when you have these types of weapons they are good for a couple of reasons. A) Intimidation factor. B) Ammo Size and ease of reload (when you need to). You would typically "spay" with these guns but more so for the reason of suppressing the enemy. So thats a great reason to get one. (And to everyone else. Don't say you can do that with an M4. Who wants to spend there entire time winding up a hi cap while firing?) However I take it you are young, and if you are you probably aren't too big. The MK2 PARA's weigh 14.8 pounds loaded which is pretty heavy if you are a smaller guy. I would imagine the MK1 is a bit lighter but not by much.

So really if you are up for being a Support gunner (can be very effetcive) go ahead and grab this gun. If not, look for CYMA AK's. JG's or G&G's. They all have great beginner guns!

First of all, you should go to a game and rent. Get an idea of what type of play appeals to you, support gunner may not be your thing and you don't want to discover that after investing a shiz load of cash. Also, if something was to go wrong, it'll be alot harder to teach yourself on the internals in contrast to the V2 and V3 gearboxes. Not to mention it takes 1 BB to get someone out, and if you're new to the sport you'll be a big target with a heavy gun and also an easy one for the more experienced players.

As someone above suggested, I'd look at CYMA AKs or JG M4s/G36s to start yourself off. Won't break the bank, comes with battery, charger and a hicap mag. Get yourself an extra hicap, smart charger and eye protection then you're pretty much ready to play.

Everyone has their own preferences, so go with what you like more so than anything else. In the end you have to be happy with your own gear.

The most common styles of rifles that are prevalent are M4's, MP5's, AK's, G36's, and M14's. There are of course every variant you can possibly think of, and of course other styles. The easiest ones to start out with are usually M4's. You can find a ton of parts and accessories for them Its very easy to customize the gun, and the gear you use with it.

I'm not sure how the airsoft SAW models are, but I know from experience that the real steel ones can be quite hefty, even without ammo. A 249 is essentially a small LMG that uses 5.56 rounds (m4/m16) instead of 7.62 (m240B/mk17), but still has the capacity to lay down massive suppressive fire and mow down enemies. They're even capable of taking out light vehicles.

That being said, this would be a great gun to get if you had plans to do serious milsim or games that require a specific role requiring this type of weapon. After all, the guns you're looking at are designed to use with a bipod, meaning you tend to be stationary and stay in one position providing cover fire. A SAW is designed so that it can be fired from the hip if necessary, but it gets heavy quick.

If I was going to choose between the two you were looking at, I'd pick the SAW, only because I'm more familiar with it. I hope this helps in your decision.