Sign in to follow this  
deathgfx

A&K M249 MKI/II or A&K Dragonov

I am new to airsoft, though other friends at my highschool are convincing me to get more into it. I am getting one of the guns below.

I may be going to get an A&K M249 MK1 or MK2. I want to upgrade the rate of fire to the maximum possible in a reasonable price range. I also want to try to increase the accuracy some time in the future. I want it to be able to spray at least 200ft.

Or instead of getting that gun, I could get A&K Full Metal SVD AEG Dragonov, which I would want to increase the rate of fire, and get a much larger magazine. It is already full auto, but I want to make it into a long range spray gun.

What do I need to modify and what parts do I need for each of these guns?

I think that the A&K PARA has an adjustable ROF. In general, you can use a battery with a higher voltage.

You do have to be careful about stripping gears or the piston, but if you don't over do it, the battery can be the cheapest and easiest way to get a higher ROF. If you are not familiar with working on the internals of the gun yourself, then bite the bullet and get a tech to do it for you.

PS. I have seen an upgraded version of the A&K SVD, and it was a monster. The only issue is, finding extra magazines for it. So for that alone, I would go with the 249.

I have been looking at getting a SVD formself sometime soon, and so far the best SVD is the CYMA. Something like $230 if I remember correctly. As far as that gun goes, its rock solid. Its a V3 gearbox (form what I remember) and that makes it easy to work on. Only thing you would need to do is make an Rhop for it.

As for the M249's they are pretty fast out of the box. All you would need to do is install a MOSFET and a 11.1v Battery and it would get a great ROF (also would need a good shimming, AOE, Regrease, etc.). As for accuracy, again if you Rhop this gun, it could go really far (225ft area. Maybe more?)

I think that the A&K PARA has an adjustable ROF. In general, you can use a battery with a higher voltage.

You do have to be careful about stripping gears or the piston, but if you don't over do it, the battery can be the cheapest and easiest way to get a higher ROF. If you are not familiar with working on the internals of the gun yourself, then bite the bullet and get a tech to do it for you.

PS. I have seen an upgraded version of the A&K SVD, and it was a monster. The only issue is, finding extra magazines for it. So for that alone, I would go with the 249.

As for this, The M249's do not have an adjustable fire rate. That is the M60's (VN, maybe the others) and it is a "MOSFET" that is no good for the gun. (most guys recommend bypassing that in the wires.) You won't strip your gears or pistion once you reshim, regrease, correct AOE, etc.

In the end, it really depends on personal choice and how much you want to spend. I'm sure each one has some minor upgrades it needs but in the end, they will both roughly need the same amount of upgrades.

If you decide to go with the SVD get the A&K. It is a clone of the Real Sword system and the gearbox is rock solid, after reliability mods of course. The range in stock configuration is also very good.

From what I heard A&K is CA copy and CYMA is the RS copy.

There you go, OP.

Since you're flat out looking for spraying, you'd be better off with the M249. Its a more versatile platform, and has enhanced motor cooling features. Its also pretty broadly compatible, unlike the realsword based guts. You also, while its heavy, won't find yourself unable to work in a more close quarters environment.

All that said, since I'm assuming this is your first gun, I really would highly recommend just a boring old M4 from someone like JG. It'll cost less, have the same effective range as any of the other guns(once upgraded, you can run past 250 feet), you'll be able to modify it to fulfill just about any role you want, and its the most versatile platform in airsoft arguably.

Agree with HS5. M4, G36 or AK are better starter guns IMO. Plus V2 and V3 gearboxes are great to start getting into and learning how to work on the internals once you're ready. Support guns are used for suppressive fire so you're gonna be trigger happy = will eventually need to work on something = more costs and waiting around getting someone to do it = less time playing possibly.