enewmen

Please suggest a premium brand.

Hi all.

Newbie - so sorry for any stupid questions.

I'm an old guy that wished for a .177 pump BB gun when I was a kid.

Anyway, I'm looking for a premium all (mostly) metal Sniper, Assult, and pistol.

Looking for high fps, accuracy, large magazine size, and can last "forever" with proper care. I also want to use more dense 6mm BBs for target shooting and lightweight plastic "safer" BBs.

Also looiking for standard sizes. So I can replace parts, springs, cleaning, upgrade, etc.

Some brands I know: AEG, Classic Army, KJW, Well, Hong Kong, KSC, WE, and Tokyo Marui.

Don't are much about the style. But I'm guessing a M4A1 with an ACOG 4x scope, G17c, and a m24/CZ 550 long-ish riffle with a 4-9x40 scope for realitivally long range targets - does not need to be bolt-action. Guessing a long barrel doesn't help a air/spring gun.

Of course I will learn proper use, care, safety, etc. before using one of these.

If all this is too wordy, just suggest a premium Airsoft riffle with high fps, accuracy, large magazine size, and can last "forever" with care.

Any ideas? Please point me in the right direction.

thanks!

Edited by enewmen

By last "forever" I take it you're not wanting to ever have to do gearbox work right? Some of the longest running stock guns I've seen are the G&G & KWA m4's.......... But my all time favorite brand is VFC. The only problem with VFC is that their stock piston usually craps out early but once an adequate replacement is put in you're good to go for a very long time..... :)

By last "forever" I take it you're not wanting to ever have to do gearbox work right? Some of the longest running stock guns I've seen are the G&G & KWA m4's.......... But my all time favorite brand is VFC. The only problem with VFC is that their stock piston usually craps out early but once an adequate replacement is put in you're good to go for a very long time..... :)

And their self-shimming gears are known to die pre-maturely now and then.

Thing is your not going to find a perfect out of the box high-fps AEG that "last forever". This is Airsoft....take American consumerism and throw it out the window. It does not apply.

Your going to have to find one that appeals to you cosmetically and then mod it to your functional liking.

Thanks for the posts!

lr

When I mean last forever, I willl want it possible to do gearbox work, mod, able to clean and repair anything that needs it. This should be possible and not need replacements often with a good brand.

From reading your post, VFC looks like the way for me to go. Just want to avoid brands that are disposible or don't perform well.

Thing is your not going to find a perfect out of the box high-fps AEG that "last forever". This is Airsoft....take American consumerism and throw it out the window. It does not apply.

Your going to have to find one that appeals to you cosmetically and then mod it to your functional liking.

Ok, so what do you think willl last the longest with proper care and occasional part replacement / modding and still have high performance?

The parts should be easy to find.

Or what are some common mods that can make the riffle last longer and perform better?

Again, I'm willing to pay more for good performance and something not disposible.

Actually, the modding seems to matter mode than brands and models..

Thanks for the posts!

Edited by enewmen

Guest alberty

Performing well is all relative. You can start with lower quality / cheaper guns and tune them to out perform higher end guns that are stock.

All you have to look at for is that the gun you buy is compatible with most aftermarket parts. That means certainly avoid cheap guns like LPEGs which have plastic internals and proprietary parts.

Most guns are clones of other brands' models. It is good to know what the original counterpart is so you can start with an inexpensive base and upgrade or repair it later with compatible aftermarket parts. For example, a JG (aka Jing Gong) M4 would be a clone of a TM (Tokyo Marui) M4.

Guges, I have 12 of these suckers......Most running the stock gearsets. I hear this over & over & over here on the forums and it's just not the case......There is nothing wrong with VFC's self shimming gearsets!! The stock piston is not very good for anything over stock configuration & when it blows the gears have a high probability of going with it. Then I see many people replace the stock piston without checking to see if it's compatible with a VFC gearbox which fits quite a few pistons too tight. If you are pinching the piston inside the gearbox then the next weakest link will blow soon....Usually the piston again or the gearset. I don't know if this will ever take hold here on the forums or not but it's just a myth that the self shimming gearset is a problem. I started with VFC some 4+ years ago and have grown my collection to what it is today.....That's not including all the other VFC's I have my hands on with my group.....(I tech for them all) On the stock VFC gearsets I've got two running 550fps <AT> 37rps.........on 14.8v 1600mah 35c lipo's. That's shooting quite a bit of torque through the stock gearsets & has been holding steady for a long long time now :)

Ok, so what do you think willl last the longest with proper care and occasional part replacement / modding and still have high performance?

The parts should be easy to find.

Or what are some common mods that can make the riffle last longer and perform better?

Again, I'm willing to pay more for good performance and something not disposible.

Actually, the modding seems to matter mode than brands and models..

Thanks for the posts!

Well, As mentioned.....All AEG's will require maintenance every now & then. That's only common sense........... So I would suggest you definitely by a higher end, quality gun that you can be proud to own & doesn't turn you off by the way it looks or feels. You really don't want wobble, you don't want plastic where the real counterpart wouldn't have plastic. As far as mods.........There are many to help with performance & longevity but you'll need to do your research because modding an AEG can cause many headaches if not done properly. You'll need an eye for detail and knowledge of the concepts/inner workings of an AEG. I am very partial to one brand as you've probably figured out.....LOL, but I do own many other brands so I have ate the grass on the other side of the fence too......

Edited by Standard4130

G&G G96 sniper rifle. I've tested mine, and several of our store guns. The last time I chrono'd the rifle with .43's it averaged at 530 FPS. You're probably not going to get much better for target shooting, honestly.

Incase you didn't understand that lingo - that's shooting a VERY heavy airsoft BB and it still has a very high velocity behind it. I haven't tested the max effective range, but I definitely know it's over 250 feet easily since it went past our 180 foot mark without even trying, and easily hit a target 5/5 times that is two inches in width. That's with a stock gun WITHOUT any modifications.

This gun is gas operated, bolt action. Holds 15 per magazine, and you can get several full reloads out of the magazine before needing to refill the gas in it. A very efficient gun, honestly.

Just buy a KWA and be done with it.

I'll give KWA m4's 1 point for stock reliability....... but will take away a few for.........

-Not having tool-less break down.

-Not being quite so compatible with some parts..... a moot point to some.

-The poor choice of designing their upper without an integrated/one piece optic rail..... which will come loose if you mount a medium to large optic up there or use the carry handle as.............a carry handle.

-Having a dreadfully fat grip does no good for the ergonomics or for gauging motor temp while in use.

-Having a notoriously poor stock bucking.

I'm sure there is more but these are what's hitting me as slight problems to take into consideration.

The thing about airsoft is that it's a lot like real guns in exactly ONE way: Firing your gun causes an inherent amount of wear and there's really nothing you can do about that.

If you accept that you will periodically need to replace a part or clean and relubricate your gearbox you'll be able to make a very durable gun, but it's not mechanically possible to make a gun you don't need to perform routine maintenance on. There'll always be a weakpoint. If you get some super-strong cylinder it'll be your gears, if you get Riot's gears it'll probably be the cylinder. SOMETHING is going to wear down eventually.

The thing about airsoft is that it's a lot like real guns in exactly ONE way: Firing your gun causes an inherent amount of wear and there's really nothing you can do about that.

If you accept that you will periodically need to replace a part or clean and relubricate your gearbox you'll be able to make a very durable gun, but it's not mechanically possible to make a gun you don't need to perform routine maintenance on. There'll always be a weakpoint. If you get some super-strong cylinder it'll be your gears, if you get Riot's gears it'll probably be the cylinder. SOMETHING is going to wear down eventually.

I think I was misunderstood when I said I want something that lasts forever. Yes I'm looking for durable.

But more importantly I'm looking for something that CAN be well maintained (cleaned, oiled, etc). Yes all parts to wear out. So if I want a gun that lasts a long time, I'll need a gun that can be completely broken down and have alll parts replacable. As you said, all guns are not equal, so I will want the "core" of the gun to be the strongest part - I think this is the gears and piston. Other things like the springs are simple to replace. (maybe I'm wrong about this part).

Again, thanks for the posts!

You want it to last forever at a high fps? There really is only 1 platform proven to do so: PolarStar. This video is all you need to know about them:

Of course they aren't an AEG and they are a little pricey, but forever is a pretty steep requirement.

TM is probably the closest "forever" aeg manufacturer on the market, but they are built for the Japanese market and thus will shoot OOB at a lower FPS and generally have plastic bodies. However, their superb QC and better than average hopup units will make them still very fieldable. There are cases of people running 7-8+ year old TMs without opening up the gearbox and they still work fine.

The new Lonex line of AEGs look very good, as they already have AOE adjusted, their shimming is fairly decent, and most of the gearbox parts inside their AEG come from their Pro-line. Lonex parts are considered upgrade parts to most AEG brands.

KWA AEGs are fine, but they aren't completely TM spec, and they do have some issues. The general consensus of ASM is that they are overpriced for what they provide, but some people do swear by them. I personally didn't like the SR10, SR12, or G36s I handled, but do love my KSC/KWA G19