thestig_1201

Winter Build Off and Loadout Competition 2013 Discussion Thread (RESULTS INSIDE)

I can't tell if fcma172 is planning on listing 1 guy, or 3. :a-laugh:

Just 1, unless I get enough fire under me to enter a pistol.

Small snippet, that gun has evolved over the last year and a half from a simple M4 into a beast of a modular weapon platform.

Also, here's one thing I can't figure out. (Literally) I did a few compression things and I had to down grade my spring to lower my FPS below 400. I dropped in a Modify M100 spring, and now I'm getting a consistent 385 FPS with 0.2's, on just a M100 spring. Serious WTF.

Not all springs and compression are created equal? We ran into this issue with my brothers G&G M14 after I did all the basic upgrades. Didn't even bother chronoing on the stock spring, just threw in a Madbull M120. It was pumping out 440fps. Through the same spring in one of my guns, with good compression, it was shooting 400fps. Through the stock spring (M110?) back in, and it does a consistant 388fps.

Posted! Thanks!

I probably shouldn't do this as a judge, but since you are new, and the gear judging is in its infancy, I would like to give you a few tips.

First, there is no description of your gear. Its hard to judge when we don't even know what you have. You will notice that all the guns have a list of parts, internals, and performance.

Second, you only show off the left side of your body. It doesn't very well show off whats on the front, right, or back.

Third, there is no close up of just the gear by itself. This can make judging easier, as well as help us better see what is being used.

I'd really hate to see a kit lose out due to not showing it off well.

I probably shouldn't do this as a judge, but since you are new, and the gear judging is in its infancy, I would like to give you a few tips.

First, there is no description of your gear. Its hard to judge when we don't even know what you have. You will notice that all the guns have a list of parts, internals, and performance.

Second, you only show off the left side of your body. It doesn't very well show off whats on the front, right, or back.

Third, there is no close up of just the gear by itself. This can make judging easier, as well as help us better see what is being used.

I'd really hate to see a kit lose out due to not showing it off well.

Ahh, my bad.

I'll do some closeups tomorrow and a kitlist as well, and see if I can find any pictures of myself at different angles, as it may be a while before I can get more photos of myself that are decent.

Again, my apologies as I wasn't thinking it through when I made the post.

Just fixed my previous post with a picture of the ALICE rig itself.

I apologize for the 2nd post though - I'd much rather just edit my original one, but it wouldn't let me.

And I'm kicking myself for not taking a right side photo, I'm left handed so naturally I kept facing my left side to the camera.

I just edited your second post into your first one. You only have 24 hours to make changes I believe. Since I am a MOD, I can edit at any time. The additional info gives us judges a lot better idea of what you have.

Edited by airborne101

Apparently I am not a cool guy because I don't have a baddass M4 platform powered by P*. However, I am going to enter my metal bodied PSG-1. And If I feel stupid I may enter my reworked G13 M16 and a loadout.

So far the entries look great. We just need a P* category now. :a-laugh:

So far the entries look great. We just need a P* category now. :a-laugh:

lol, no kidding, seems like everyone and their mother is posting up their P*. Time to show some data on those suckers, prove that you didn't just put together a lego build.

I've spent some time in a machine shop to make my P* work in SG Barrett body and still I don't dare to post it here!

I won't make it in time to post my latest sniper rifle build! The custom made mags are not ready yet!

Wolf

Edited by wolfgeorge

SS, I don't think anyone is questioning how good they are. My point specifically, this is a build off and that includes performance standards. Over the history of the Buidoffs, thee has been an obvious lack of performance proof. It is merely one category that seems to get overlooked.

If you post a P* and a ton of other people do so as well. You guys pretty much cancel out the performance category because none of them do something the other doesnt. Or at least there is no sign of that. Claiming to do something is completely different from proving you can do something.

This is just something I have noticed. It is not a huge deal. But I know for certain some participants scores were effected in the last buildoff.

Barrel/hop-ups and some other p* mods can make a huge difference. I understand that we don't have a bunch of parts into a gearbox, but for those wanting the best performance, why should we be penalized? Realistically, polarstars should get the best in the performance category as they perform better than other guns. Maybe have a craftsmanship category or something.

Realistically, polarstars should get the best in the performance category as they perform better than other guns.

Yeah, but not everyone lists their fps and rps, and no one shows pictures of proof of performance I.e. chrono readings and bb spread on a target.

SS, I don't think anyone is questioning how good they are. My point specifically, this is a build off and that includes performance standards. Over the history of the Buidoffs, thee has been an obvious lack of performance proof. It is merely one category that seems to get overlooked.

If you post a P* and a ton of other people do so as well. You guys pretty much cancel out the performance category because none of them do something the other doesnt. Or at least there is no sign of that. Claiming to do something is completely different from proving you can do something.

This is just something I have noticed. It is not a huge deal. But I know for certain some participants scores were effected in the last buildoff.

Part of it might have been that the rifles with p* setups inside were often better looking on the outside, due to care and excessive amounts of money for nice furniture. And the quality of the photos was often better. Kind of odd, that one. But these little details helped. Even if presentation was only a minor category (was it a category for scoring?), good presentation positively affected other scores it seemed. It always does. And I actually support penalizing p* setups. They allow it to be so simple, as its basically a drop in rig, and make is so much harder for builds on a budget, for those of us who don't have $800+ to drop on this. The way I see it though, if your gun is cheaper, make it look as nice as possible, and you might do okay. A nice backdrop, and good photos help. Easily accessed photos might help too, judges don't want to have to click each link to view photos, we'd rather have it right there. Just my little snibbet of advice.

Edited by turtletech

Man, I was just really happy with how my rifle was looking, so I thought I'd throw it into the mix. I didn't realize that the Fusion Engines would give people frowny faces :(

Maybe I'll throw together an AEG next year haha:)

The only reason for that is that it makes it rather easy to not worry too much about internals. I've seen some really high end guns where someone will put a p* in it, but neglect to put a higher end barrel and r-hop into it. You might as well. I'd say get a Prommy, EdGI, or PDI barrel in it if you have that kind of cash.

The only reason for that is that it makes it rather easy to not worry too much about internals. I've seen some really high end guns where someone will put a p* in it, but neglect to put a higher end barrel and r-hop into it. You might as well. I'd say get a Prommy, EdGI, or PDI barrel in it if you have that kind of cash.

We both run orga barrels - which for polarstars perform better than the ones you specified above. We also run pro win hop units and prommy buckings, all of which give us 250-300ft range.

We both run orga barrels - which for polarstars perform better than the ones you specified above. We also run pro win hop units and prommy buckings, all of which give us 250-300ft range.

Okay, good to know. I just said this because I think I saw someone with a Madbull barrel and PCS nub in a P* setup. Just seems that if you have the cash, why get a budget item?

Stack, I actually have a PDI 6.05 haha. It seems like I'm the only one running PDIs anymore haha.

I do actually have to agree with the fact that since the Fusion Engine is a drop in, one time install (and very high performance) item, it bypasses a lot of the functions of a rifle that make them award winners. AEGs have to have a lot more care and time put in to them obviously, along with experience. I've built and rebuilt plenty of AEGs throughout the years, and some of those could have been great to post on here haha :) I narrowed my collection down to a single Polarized rifle, which is now my workhorse for everything. I've had great experienced with the Fusion Engine, and it is truly a magnificent piece of engineering. It takes away the worry of parts failing, and there is definitely something different about fielding a Polarstar when compared to an AEG. What I'm trying to say is that the Polarstar Fusion Engines are sort of a new era for me, but may not necessarily the best choice for a build off category, as there isn't really any work involved to installing one.

Edited by 1337cat

Being that it is a Scatterplot suppressor, my guess is here: http://www.sorbopads.com/

^this. I was one of the first to purchase one of them when they were released, not a single regret. Now if he'll only make and release some hollow ones...