Sign in to follow this  
Gribs

Good AK47/74?

Hey guys. First post. I'm new to the sport. Only had a handful of games under my belt. So far I've played indoors, but I'm taking a real liking to the outdoor fields now. I've got a CA G36C that's a sweet little weapon close quarters, but out in the open I find myself trying to lob rounds at guys who can take me out with ease. I tried renting an M4 from the field, but of course their guns weren't any better.

I'm really enjoying the game, but I'd like it if I didn't have to charge wildly at everyone or flank and sneak for every "kill".

I'm a big fan of classic blonde AKs, and I was wondering if you all could give me a hand. Aesthetics are very important to me. I need steel and I need wood, or convincing imitation wood. Blonde foregrip and stock is a necessity.

I was looking at the VFC AK74. It's absolutely beautiful, and I've read good things. $430 is a bit pricey, though. If I don't need to upgrade the internals heavily that price actually wouldn't hurt, but I'm worried that I'd need to put another couple hundred into the gun in order to get something with the reach and accuracy I'm looking for.

Is the VFC a worthwhile buy? What sort of upgrades would I need? I'm looking to go all the way and get a solid weapon. Hoping to enjoy some weekend games over the summer and I need something that is actually going to hit what I point at.

Is there another brand you'd recommend for less that I could upgrade into something more my style?

I'm hoping to ultimately squeeze 400fps out of whatever I end up getting.

Really appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks!

Edited by Gribs

My recommendation is a Real Sword Type 56.

Only issue is that they're hard to come by now, but Real Sword AEGs are truly amazing. You'll get INSANE performance out of the box, along with a gun that is externally identical to it's real-steel counterpart. They used to go for ~$350 when they were stocked state-side, but they are no longer imported. Last thing I heard was that their only US office that managed that sort of stuff closed down a while back.

If you somehow find one for sale online for a decent price, or second-hand on Craigslist or some various forum, I highly recommend it.

+1 for the Real Sword.

I have their aeg SVD, which is rumored to be discontinued to make way for the GBB, and it is absolutely fantastic.

Its not even fair comparing RS to VFC AK's. Although, if you are on a budget, and you would like to upgrade, CYMA AK's aren't a bad choice either.

+1 for the Real Sword.

I have their aeg SVD, which is rumored to be discontinued to make way for the GBB, and it is absolutely fantastic.

Its not even fair comparing RS to VFC AK's. Although, if you are on a budget, and you would like to upgrade, CYMA AK's aren't a bad choice either.

What makes the RS superior? I found one on Red Wolf airsoft, but it's not much cheaper than a VFC.

+1 for the Real Sword.

I have another question for you, mate.

I've always been curious about airsoft snipers. I've heard that standard AEGs can get the same range as sniper rifles, but you're also able to fire full auto. Tell you the truth, I would love to take on more of a designated marksman role, but I've always worried that I'd actually be handicapping myself.

That SVD is a beauty, and I'd actually take it over the Type 56. How do you fair in games? Is it significantly more accurate than a good fully automatic AEG? Is there a tangible benefit, or do you mainly go with the SVD for the looks, fun?

You've got me leaning more toward the SVD now. Especially if I can get superior accuracy out of it.

I have another question for you, mate.

I've always been curious about airsoft snipers. I've heard that standard AEGs can get the same range as sniper rifles, but you're also able to fire full auto. Tell you the truth, I would love to take on more of a designated marksman role, but I've always worried that I'd actually be handicapping myself.

That SVD is a beauty, and I'd actually take it over the Type 56. How do you fair in games? Is it significantly more accurate than a good fully automatic AEG? Is there a tangible benefit, or do you mainly go with the SVD for the looks, fun?

You've got me leaning more toward the SVD now. Especially if I can get superior accuracy out of it.

The Real Sword SVD has been carrying a reputation for the last couple of years as one of the best [in terms of accuracy and range] out-of-the-box AEG you can get, along with the most accurate externals. The only issue is the enormous price-tag that accompanies them, seeing as a nicely used RS SVD package [scope, mags, etc.] still goes for ~$700+.

It's a shame Real Sword items are so hard to come by now. I own a Type 97b from them, and it's damn amazing. Best completely-stock gun I own. Granted that you can upgrade something like a JG/CYMA to outperform them, you still come out to about the same overall price between the two, and you get Real Steel spec externals on top of that.

Though, something that is worth mentioning is the maintenance. Chances are your average store 'tech' won't be able to perform maintenance/repairs as majority of the internals are proprietary. This means you'll either have to learn it yourself [seeing as you'd be in the same shoes as the 'tech'], or find someone whose worked on them before. As for replacement parts, there's still some lingering in the US, but as time progresses you might be SOL on a certain part and have to get it shipped overseas, which can be a head-ache in itself.

Nice to post to another AK enthusiast like myself. Basically there are 3 main brands I'd recommend to AK lovers and they have their unique advantages, depending on what you're looking for.

The RS will have the best externals on the market, full stop. The shells are made in a factory that was used to make their real steel counterparts so the physical measurements and details will be replicated exactly. The weight is also very close to the real deal. They are internally brilliant, one of the best out of the box performances. However, they are proprietary in some areas and that's were it kind of goes down for me personally. I can't fully recall every part that isn't V3 compatible but to name a few; the shell itself, the piston, sector gear and anti reversal latch. I've also seen hop packings melted onto the inner barrels so that can be a pain to change. Now these aren't really cons if you're good keeping it stock and the stock performance doesn't leave that much room for improvement anyway, other than the hop up maybe.

VFC probably have the second nicest externals on the market. Mostly steel but the wood is imitation I think, though the quality isn't bad. Not 100% sure if you can get real wood furniture or not. Performance will probably need a little tinkering with from what I've read online, though I've never used one to be able to tell you the areas that require work. It can be disappointing that you pay so much for a gun that needs work, however VFC are known for their wicked externals so their value is rarely questioned.

CYMA is a brand I can personally vouch for after purchasing, playing and upgrading it thoroughly. You get a fair amount of steel as well as real wood for a very good price, almost too good when you consider that it's paired with very good internals. Their stock hop unit is effective, my aks74u came with a 280sh mm inner barrel and I was getting 150feet+ effective range very consistently out of the box. Ported piston head on a rock solid piston, that are known to have been used in some mental setups by others. The steel XYT gears can handle up to a M150 IME though I wouldn't exceed that as I haven't experimented any stiffer. Motor is decent too, you'll get 14-15 rps on a 9.6v 1600mah nimh battery. 100% TM compatible so you can pretty much upgrade as you please.

For the SVD in particular I'd go for the RS no doubt. CYMA is also good for a budget and can be upgraded to perform.

Edited by sl1k

I agree with sl1k's post above.

But I would also like to add dboys to the list. Externally, they are better than CYMA, but CYMA will have more reliable internals. Dboys makes VFC clones under $200 with almost all steel parts and wood handguards. I have personally been very pleased with my Dboys AKS-74u.

Another thing that should be noted is that VFC/ Dboys AK are compatible with a lot of real steel parts like the handguards.

I vote for Echo 1: Red Star or Real Sword's AK. I've sold a TON of Red Star AK's and never had any of them come back for repairs... that's a big deal for an airsoft gun. You can make those RedStar's shoot like a laser beam for cheap, heh. Average FPS is around 455 on them right out of the box and they've got some nice heft to them.

I love my Dboys Full Steel AK105. IF you can find a Dboys full steel gun they are amazing. I swear by them now, I own a Dboys AKMS and the 105. Love them both. CYMA is good too if you wish to go that route, but Dboys are all steel whereas CYMAs only have some steel.

LCT make the nicest Kalashnikovs on the market hands down. I would definitely argue they are nicer than the VFC models. They were the OEM for Inokatsu back in the day, and their quality hasn't gone down since those days.

People are suggesting Real Sword, which are gorgeous, and perform excellently, but they aren't the right option if you specifically want a Russian AK. Real Sword makes replicas of the PLA's type 56, which is externally different from the Russian Kalashnikov rifle.

Back to your main topic and idea. VFC is a fantastic company and they are pretty damn indestructible as well. Good choice! don't get too caught up in upgrading components in your gun. Ive been playing for 10 + years and even though there are some awesome parts up there don't go messing around inside of it until it breaks. Remember you can have all the top end parts in a gun but if your airseal is garbage then it doesn't matter. Also for budget end go with ECHO 1 AK's to start with. Thats what I did and it lasted me forever until I upgraded. CYMA makes a damn reliable AK but CYMA (the company) has questionable business practices. I know their all imports but go American if you can (ECHO 1)... LOL. Good luck in your hunting!!

P.S

Im pretty sure I saw this elsewhere but the ECHO 1 RED STAR AK is pretty nice. My buddy has one and its almost indestructible as well especially for the price....

Back to your main topic and idea. VFC is a fantastic company and they are pretty damn indestructible as well. Good choice! don't get too caught up in upgrading components in your gun. Ive been playing for 10 + years and even though there are some awesome parts up there don't go messing around inside of it until it breaks. Remember you can have all the top end parts in a gun but if your airseal is garbage then it doesn't matter. Also for budget end go with ECHO 1 AK's to start with. Thats what I did and it lasted me forever until I upgraded. CYMA makes a damn reliable AK but CYMA (the company) has questionable business practices. I know their all imports but go American if you can (ECHO 1)... LOL. Good luck in your hunting!!

P.S

Im pretty sure I saw this elsewhere but the ECHO 1 RED STAR AK is pretty nice. My buddy has one and its almost indestructible as well especially for the price....

What kind of questionable business practices? There's no point in "buying american" when you can get the exact same thing for cheaper. And I mean the exact same thing, echo1 doesn't make anything in the states, they buy the guns that you want to buy, from China, and then sell them to you, at an inflated price and with a 45 day warranty. Unless you're buying an absolute POS, that warranty probably isn't going to do much for you.

I actually got swayed to pick up the RS SVD.

Down the road I might look into a good AK again. There's just something about Russian rifles (and their Chinese knockoffs) that I love.

By the way, someone pointed out the Red Alliance as a good place for more info.

For some reason whenever I try to enter that site it says "Sorry Guest, you're banned. Grow up."

Which is odd since I'd never been there before. Anyone else have a problem like that? Are they just not accepting new members? I didn't see any way to contact an admin, so I'm kind of confused.

By the way, someone pointed out the Red Alliance as a good place for more info.

For some reason whenever I try to enter that site it says "Sorry Guest, you're banned. Grow up."

Which is odd since I'd never been there before. Anyone else have a problem like that? Are they just not accepting new members? I didn't see any way to contact an admin, so I'm kind of confused.

It might be one of those forums where you need to make an account and logins to view threads.

If you take a close look at the pic, you'd notice that it is literally on the last slot on the rail which is a close call but fortunately it leaves just about enough space to get mags in and out easily. Another fortunate coincidence is that it is actually the most comfortable spot for me lol if it hadn't been I'd be fakkd mate and so would be my dream of a practactical AK!