to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

So I was screwing around on the internet and found that it's cheaper to buy a real steel Pmag, vs an airsoft Pmag....

WTF

Real Steel: http://store.magpul.com/prod_detail_list/PMAG

Airsoft: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=6598

Really? Shouldn't Real steel cost more because it's design to handle... idk LIVE AMMUNITION?

I don't know, I'm kinda peeved that Mags cost less is real steel vs airsoft.

I don't see how it is a sad day when this is already known for quite some time now.

You're missing the other side of the argument: how about Beta Project? STAR Green Labels? random ACM companies? Those PMAGs can go as low as $6 each if you look hard enough. The $30 price tag is shocking, I know, but I'm sure there are reasons why.

How I look at it, because PTS is not some giant firearms company, the cost of making these quality mags are pretty pricey. The M-Version PMAG also came late in the game, and it has to compete with other mags that is already known to work and be cost-effective, like MAG. They can't just say, "Hey! Let's drop the price." and expect a high profit. Remember, Magpul Industries' customer base is made of gun owning citizens, countless law enforcement agencies, and many, many soldiers with AR-15's or STANAG-compatible firearms... PTS has the average airsofter, which is probably a minor that gathered just enough funds to get an AEG. One has proven itself to rake in profit from a big industry with big demands, the other is a newcomer that has many obstacles in a "very small" (compared to latter) community.

The M-Versions are meant for those who want a lot of realism in their kits. Other companies have filled the void of cheap mids. Demand is low, and the price won't go down if it stays that way.

Edited by EchoRecon3

The other issue is that PTS PMAGs have literally no advantages over cheaper and, sometimes, superior airsoft products.

They can't claim to be a golden standard in durability, reliability, etc. because they aren't. Literally the only userbase they appeal to are Magpul fans, and so they're manufactured and sold on a scale and price tooled towards that.

Also, real-steel magazines, while "designed to handle live ammunition", are not any more impressive for that. Magazines bear no load in a real firearm, are Soviet-level simple to manufacture, and are designed (in theory) to be disposable. They're arguably more complex than their airsoft counterparts, which load 100+ 6mm balls through sometimes multiple turns and switchbacks.

Edited by Kavurcen

The higher cost for airsoft mags is due to the increased cost of producing them, which is due to being more complex. Real mags are very, very simple, and don't require too much precision. Airsoft mags need both precision and more utilized space. So it doesn't surprise me. A real mag is basically a metal box, and a plate supported upward by a spring. An airsoft mag is a coiled spring wound around many sections to allow for more rounds to load into it. In addition, it requires relatively low tolerances to be precise enough not to jam. Just my two cents.

Guest alberty
The higher cost for airsoft mags is due to the increased cost of producing them, which is due to being more complex. Real mags are very, very simple, and don't require too much precision. Airsoft mags need both precision and more utilized space. So it doesn't surprise me. A real mag is basically a metal box, and a plate supported upward by a spring. An airsoft mag is a coiled spring wound around many sections to allow for more rounds to load into it. In addition, it requires relatively low tolerances to be precise enough not to jam. Just my two cents.

If real mags don't have so much precision, wouldn't there be a billion more gun jams and kabooms then?

Regarding the complexity-price ratio you suggest...I don't think that is quite right. As EchoRecon3 pointed out, you can get PMag style mags for much cheaper than the $30~ of official PTS PMags considering all the mid-caps function in the same way--follower spring, follower, and shell pretty much.

The expensive pricing is just because they can try to charge that much.

If real mags don't have so much precision, wouldn't there be a billion more gun jams and kabooms then?

Regarding the complexity-price ratio you suggest...I don't think that is quite right. As EchoRecon3 pointed out, you can get PMag style mags for much cheaper than the $30~ of official PTS PMags considering all the mid-caps function in the same way--follower spring, follower, and shell pretty much.

The expensive pricing is just because they can try to charge that much.

But they are more complex, not to a great extent, but they are. Real guns don't need quite as much precision with the magazines, and the manufacturing of them is simpler. Also, the demand for airsoft mags is much lower, leading to a lower supply, and higher price offered due to increased costs of manufacturing. Its cheaper per mag to make 5000 real P-mags than to make 500 airsoft mid caps. Its a matter of economics, my friend.

Beta project's is made out of crappy plastic, jams sometimes in some AEG's, and sometimes if you try to force just one extra BB the follower will get eaten into the spring and you have to open up the entire thing.

I run 10 Magpul PTS P-Mags, but then again I bought ALL OF THEM at once on ehobby asia for like 18 a piece. So 180 dollars.

Compared to US prices, it would have came out to almost double, that's why I don't buy any of my crap from US retailers unless they're local.

Real magazines can misfeed a round up to 3/8 of a inch or more depending on the size of the round. Mainly because the firearms bolt thrusts the round into the feed ramp, which is designed to feed the ammunition at bad angles already, due to magazines being "dual stacking", and have to feed once from left, once from right already any ways.

Now compare that to the tiny margin of error between the feed port of the Hop-Up and the magazine in a airsoft gun.

Dimitri

Guest alberty
Real magazines can misfeed a round up to 3/8 of a inch or more depending on the size of the round. Mainly because the firearms bolt thrusts the round into the feed ramp, which is designed to feed the ammunition at bad angles already, due to magazines being "dual stacking", and have to feed once from left, once from right already any ways.

Now compare that to the tiny margin of error between the feed port of the Hop-Up and the magazine in a airsoft gun.

Dimitri

I see, now I understand what turtletech was trying to say. Thanks for refuting my statement without insulting me :)

I see, now I understand what turtletech was trying to say. Thanks for refuting my statement without insulting me :)

No need to be insulting when you have not been insulting to me.

I know the saying is "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you", but I tend to live under the principle of "Do unto others as they have done to you".

Jim