Hexy

FAMAS - Are these the same?

I really do feel stupid asking this, but I can't tell. I am interested in a FAMAS mainly for aesthetic purposes, but I'd like a gun that isn't terrible. There aren't a lot on the market, and the choice is either the TM one, which is sadly above my price range at the moment (I'd get an L85A2 instead if I had the money. Tax refund? One could hope), and the one made by Cybergun. However, I did stumble upon an anomaly:

SoftAir Licensed Nexter FAMAS F1 Foreign Legion Airsoft AEG Bullpup Rifle

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=32598

There is no mention of Cybergun anywhere and it's $20 cheaper than the average $160-$170 ($140 marked down from $150) like the one listed here:

http://www.godfatherairsoft.com/Cybergun-F...ifle-p/3045.htm

Does anyone know is these are the same guns and Evike just didn't mention Cybergun?

I ask mainly because I've read that a lot of people don't like the Cybergun FAMAS, and if there's a better one on the market for the same price then I'd be willing to get it instead. That being said, I have been digging around and found a few videos with people using and liking the Cybergun with the only real complaint being the admittedly abysmal Rate of fire (500-600BPM). What's wrong with it and what could be done to improve upon it?

Whats wrong with it?

Cybergun made it, piece of crap company.

No aftermarket parts to my knowledge.

Poor feeding mags

TM FAMAS

20 rps or so.

200feet+ of range out of the box.

Mags are VERY good.

With modification, you can get a short type motor in their, as well as alot of other V2/3 parts.

I own this gun and I really like it, no complaints at all besides the creaky body.

I own the cybergun famas... it's a good gun for the money... cybergun doesn't make it, just rebrands and resells... this famas is made by cyma, at least mine is... bullpup gives good accuracy and fps... I've had no mag issues but I rarely use the gun

because of the version 1 gearbox and long wiring, the gun's rof is slow... the gun has less upgrade parts available because of the version 1 gearbox... you can still fight the rof problem and bump it up: you want to change all the wiring to the silver plated one because it's so long; change out the two sets of tamiya connectors this gun has to deans or whatever you prefer; upgrade battery... the gun features a relatively big battery compartment

Edited by cl0n32

Guest alberty

Cybergun is a company that rebrands guns, and I think the OEM is JP and not CYMA, don't remember what JP stands for but it's something Chinese of course.

The TM counterpart will be superior in performance, but they are hard to find obviously.

The TM-based FAMAS AEG platform does not have many parts available on the market at all, so going with a clone of it already limits some potential. You can do other generic tuning for its gearbox like wiring, connectors, etc...

To my knowledge I don't think there's any other brands of TM-based FAMAS AEG clones.

Alright then, is the link from Evike a Cybergun or something else? If it's not a Cyber, is it a better buy for the money?

As for the modifications, how difficult are they aside from the rarity of FAMAS parts? I will freely admit that I'm green as grass to messing with the internal workings of an AEG, but I need to start somewhere.

EDIT for the guy above me:

JP is Jing Ping, and you're right. There really aren't many FAMAS weapons out there, which I personally find to be a shame. On that note, there is generally a lack of Bullpup on the market, which is my preferred style. You have AUG, FAMAS, P90, L86, Type 97, Tavor, and F2000 to my knowledge. The first three have the most cost effective options, while the others are made by one or two companies and in the $300-400 range. That's mostly why I asking about these two FAMAS links because if(when) I were to drop $400 on a gun, I want it to be something special, which after doing some homework, I think this L85A2 is what I want.

Edited by Hexy

If the product list "Softair" in the marketing description...its a Cybergun product.

Cybergun could not "trademark" Airsoft in the US, so they took the 20th century term for it - Softair.

However, they did trademark Airsoft in Europe...go figure.

There were a couple young guns at my local field that used to sport the Cybergun Famas and both their's fakkd up on them with the same issues. BBs would keep jamming in the chamber or just would not feed eventually.

Based on that, if on a budget you might want to consider a P90, AUG or Tavor. Save yourself some heartache down the line and you get to avoid supporting wankers like Cybergun. :a-thumbsup:

Alright, so they are the same. Thanks.

I do have a JG AUG A3 actually and I love it, but it's a little too powerful for some events, which is why I was looking at this FAMAS. The FPS looked more manageable with .20s. If helps, the rules for this area's AIR soft community cap off at 400 FPS for AEGs and 500 for bolt action. I like Tavors, but I haven't found one for less than $300, let alone less than $200.

Guest alberty

When it comes to muzzle velocity / FPS limits, remember that you can just change the spring in your gearbox if you have an AEG. No need to acquire another gun. Money-wise it'd be cheaper to pay someone to change your spring for you than to buy a whole new gun.

If you want an affordable Tavor, look for the S&T metal-gearbox-version Tavor. It actually features a quick-change spring so you can change it for different field limits without disassembling the gearbox.

Found one on Air Rattle for $150, but don't know about shipping. We'll see how it goes, but my decision search to have been made for me. O got a Christmas coming in the mail tomorrow and it's the Cyber FAMAS. Long story short, I was discussing it with him, I liked the reviews I saw, and he ordered it for me without my knowing. Can't complain there, but now I have two options. I can keep the FAMAS and optimize it,, or I can go through the hassle of returning it and getting something else. Unfortunately, my price options haven't changed too much because now it means on less guilty about putting money towards things I need for my car. Since it was a gift, I don't really want to be that guy and return it, so if it's workable, I'd rather do that. It should be in tomorrow.

As for changing my spring, yea, I thought about that and figured it would be that simple. Based on why I've read,, the AUG’s barrel is easy to swap, but I don't know about the spring (keep in mind, I don't know my way around inside yet, but I can find out when the time comes). Regardless, I wanted a second gun anyway as a just on case scenario.

Also, thanks a lot for your help thus far.

Guest alberty

The AUG's quick swap barrel is not related to modifying your gearbox unfortunately. The AUG is still fairly easy for getting the gearbox out of the body, but the difficulty comes from the disassembly and reassembly of the gearbox itself when you've never done it before.

A little late on the response, but hopefully I can help.

There are 3 brands of FaMas on the market; Tokyo Marui, Cybergun (OEM by CYMA), and JP. Out of the three, the Tokyo Marui is the only one I have no experience with. With that said, JP is the worst out there and Cybergun's is, in my opinion the best; but then again I have no experience with TM. The Cybergun has THE BEST externals out of them all. JP is weak, creaky, and cheap feeling; TM is creaky, so I've heard. The Cybergun is solid and a great, not cheap, feeling plastic. Internally, I would again say Cybergun is the best. It's a modified V1 gearbox, so were as TM has no or very little upgrades, the Cybergun has considerably more. The Cybergun takes normal motors, I don't remember though which length, without any modification. The gears are V7, so you can upgrade those obviously, but unfortunately I don't remember what else is upgradeable. It's been awhile since I've had the Cybergun FaMas and looked up all this info. Fortunately for you, I found all the information I needed on this site, so just search.

I never had a single issue with the Cybergun, and regret getting rid of it. I never had any issues with feeding as mentioned by others; but I also modified M4 mags to fit in the gun.

Overall, as you can tell by the rest of my post, I fully recommend the Cybergun over the rest.