Sign in to follow this  
leavesea

I'm new to airsoft, and would like to have a sniper role.

I'm a newbie to asf, and was recommended to this site for extra help from experienced airsoft players. I was wondering if you guys could suggest some good sniper rifles for a beginning marksmen. My budget is nothing over 300, because it's going to be my first sniper rifle, I live in canada, and would be playing in the field only. I'd really like to get into airsoft as a hobby, not just the occasional skirmish. I probably wont upgrade the gun until I know more about airsoft.

any recommendations would be awesome :a-grin:

First off is this your first gun? If it is I would recommend getting an AEG instead, there are a lot more parts and options for an AEG, and if you do it right you can get good range. There are 2 paths you can take for sniper rifles: ether get a medium priced rifle, like a JG bar 10, or start off with an expensive gun, like a tanaka m700. They will both need upgrades thought, so if you are not really into upgrading then a sniper rifle may not be the best choice. Also you never stated weather you wanted spring powered or gas.

You're aren't the first newbie to come here and wanted to be a sniper.

Imho, No... Until you know more about Airsoft, stay away from the sniper role.

Yeah, it's cool. Maybe you play a lot of video games where "sniping" is like the bomb. Cod, fps games, etc... But this is airsoft where Sniping isn't the "bomb". Since this isn't RS(real steel), a sniper cannot outrange an AEG until you upgrade like crazy.

A well built sniper will cost at least a good $700-800. Some that goes to the extreme will go over $1,000.

Why?

Here's why.

Aeg can outrange snipers anyday. With the new technology, it is easy to make an AEG reach 200 to 250+ feet. A normal stock sniper can hit 100-150 feet. MAYBE 200 feet if you're lucky.

Now let's look at it.

AEG vs Sniper.

Both can hit around the same range. AEG can full auto/semi auto while a sniper has to :censored2: everytime you finish shooting.... <<< this is why you will be furstated. NOT everyone will leave on the first hit. Some people will think it just bounce off something and will keep playing. Other are just F**KING A**HOLE and just want to ruin the game and stay in. Using a Dmr/aeg, you can at least hit them a good 5-10 times before a 2nd shot on a sniper and the person will see that they are being shot at and get out.

You WILL BE frustrated with sniping and wish you had an AEG.

If you want o go with the sniping role and actaully snipe, you have to invest a lot of money where you can outrange the AEG and hit 250-300 ft easily. This is the only way to play as a sniper or you will feel useless.

Solution?

Go with the DMR role. They are like sniper but using an AEG and usually on semi/auto and the guns can reach 250+ feet with ease.

BUT if you REALLY want the be a sniper, I won't stop you.

I would recommend the Tokyo marui vsr-10 for sure. Since you won't upgrade the gun, this gun is amazing stock. The hop up unti can make this gun go pretty far. If you're on a budget, Get the JG bar-10. Both are amazing gun but the JG is a clone of the TM so TM would win.

Edited by Loveyuri

I probably wont upgrade the gun until I know more about airsoft.

any recommendations would be awesome :a-grin:

I would advise you do your homework before you make $300 in mistakes (or more). I have lots of new guys come into the store asking this very same question. It sounds like fun until you hear one of the more "serious" players buzzing people at 25+ BPS while you're plinking shots with 15 round magazines.. then you begin to realize you've severely just short-changed yourself. Looking for a good challenge? Go for the sniper. I recommend the G&G G96, as it is a revised Tanaka clone and it's half the price while still offering fantastic build quality. Out of the box they average at 640 FPS with .20's. You'll want to run .43's in this particular rifle assuming your field allows it to be used.

Want a good all around gun? Get a DMR AEG, or build a compromise of something inbetween. I think every new player's gun should be an AEG and NOT a sniper rifle. Most of them just come back frustrated and disappointed because they thought they could be a "super-sniper" and end up sitting in the deadbox most games.

You're aren't the first newbie to come here and wanted to be a sniper.

Imho, No... Until you know more about Airsoft, stay away from the sniper role.

Yeah, it's cool. Maybe you play a lot of video games where "sniping" is like the bomb. Cod, fps games, etc... But this is airsoft where Sniping isn't the "bomb". Since this isn't RS(real steel), a sniper cannot outrange an AEG until you upgrade like crazy.

A well built sniper will cost at least a good $700-800. Some that goes to the extreme will go over $1,000.

Why?

Here's why.

Aeg can outrange snipers anyday. With the new technology, it is easy to make an AEG reach 200 to 250+ feet. A normal stock sniper can hit 100-150 feet. MAYBE 200 feet if you're lucky.

Now let's look at it.

AEG vs Sniper.

Both can hit around the same range. AEG can full auto/semi auto while a sniper has to :censored2: everytime you finish shooting.... <<< this is why you will be furstated. NOT everyone will leave on the first hit. Some people will think it just bounce off something and will keep playing. Other are just F**KING A**HOLE and just want to ruin the game and stay in. Using a Dmr/aeg, you can at least hit them a good 5-10 times before a 2nd shot on a sniper and the person will see that they are being shot at and get out.

You WILL BE frustrated with sniping and wish you had an AEG.

If you want o go with the sniping role and actaully snipe, you have to invest a lot of money where you can outrange the AEG and hit 250-300 ft easily. This is the only way to play as a sniper or you will feel useless.

Solution?

Go with the DMR role. They are like sniper but using an AEG and usually on semi/auto and the guns can reach 250+ feet with ease.

DMR? yea I guess it was a bit of a stretch for the sniper role, thanks for the advice, I'd prefer an electric gun, if thats good. please educate me on the lingo for airsoft. Do you have any suggestions to a specific model of gun?

I would advise you do your homework before you make $300 in mistakes (or more). I have lots of new guys come into the store asking this very same question. It sounds like fun until you hear one of the more "serious" players buzzing people at 25+ BPS while you're plinking shots with 15 round magazines.. then you begin to realize you've severely just short-changed yourself. Looking for a good challenge? Go for the sniper. I recommend the G&G G96, as it is a revised Tanaka clone and it's half the price while still offering fantastic build quality. Out of the box they average at 640 FPS with .20's. You'll want to run .43's in this particular rifle assuming your field allows it to be used.

Want a good all around gun? Get a DMR AEG, or build a compromise of something inbetween. I think every new player's gun should be an AEG and NOT a sniper rifle. Most of them just come back frustrated and disappointed because they thought they could be a "super-sniper" and end up sitting in the deadbox most games.

so you suggest staying away from sniping? for now

DMR? yea I guess it was a bit of a stretch for the sniper role, thanks for the advice, I'd prefer an electric gun, if thats good. please educate me on the lingo for airsoft. Do you have any suggestions to a specific model of gun?

read the rest of my post. I editted.

Well, now this is where you choose ^^.

I really don't have the power to choose what gun/style you want.

With airsoft, you can make almost ANYTHING into a dmr.

A lot of people use the M14. Some use the M4 style and turns it into a DMR. Just really depends on what style of gun you want. I have a m14 dmr, m4 style dmr but then it's kinda given as they are maintstream xD.

DMR fits well into what you want.

A sniping role BUT aeg at the same time. You can go full auto anytime but not recommended. AEG are all eletric. Any GBBR as a DMR is too expensive for your budget.

Edited by Loveyuri

First off is this your first gun? If it is I would recommend getting an AEG instead, there are a lot more parts and options for an AEG, and if you do it right you can get good range. There are 2 paths you can take for sniper rifles: ether get a medium priced rifle, like a JG bar 10, or start off with an expensive gun, like a tanaka m700. They will both need upgrades thought, so if you are not really into upgrading then a sniper rifle may not be the best choice. Also you never stated weather you wanted spring powered or gas.

others talked me out of sniping, so do you have any suggestions for assault rifles? electric or gas

Depends what you want, and what you like. Buying a high-end airsoft gun is like picking between a Corvette and a Dodge Viper. They'll give similar performance output, but they ARE different.. as are the desires from the owners. Does that mean one is overwhelmingly better than the other? No, it just means they're different, and as such - they have positives and negatives in different areas.

If I had $300, these are the companies I'd look at:

G&G

G&P

ICS

KWA

VFC (be careful on some models)

KingArms

Echo 1 (professional series, not the base models)

Classic Army (be careful on some models)

There's lots of good choices, but what you like might not necessarily be what someone else likes. That's why it's important for you to look around, and most importantly - don't just make decisions purely based on other people's opinions. That's a very bad way of doing things. Do your research of what and WHY, and you'll be happy with your results.

read the rest of my post. I editted.

Well, now this is where you choose ^^.

I really don't have the power to choose what gun/style you want.

With airsoft, you can make almost ANYTHING into a dmr.

A lot of people use the M14. Some use the M4 style and turns it into a DMR. Just really depends on what style of gun you want. I have a m14 dmr, m4 style dmr but then it's kinda given as they are maintstream xD.

DMR fits well into what you want.

A sniping role BUT aeg at the same time. You can go full auto anything but not recommended. AEG are all eletric. Any GBBR as a DMR is too expensive for your budget.

well fro my first good airsoft gun I wasn't planning on spending 800 dollars on some awesome gun, just a simple m4 that doesn't cost too much.

Depends what you want, and what you like. Buying a high-end airsoft gun is like picking between a Corvette and a Dodge Viper. They'll give similar performance output, but they ARE different.. as are the desires from the owners. Does that mean one is overwhelmingly better than the other? No, it just means they're different, and as such - they have positives and negatives in different areas.

If I had $300, these are the companies I'd look at:

G&G

G&P

ICS

KWA

VFC (be careful on some models)

KingArms

Echo 1 (professional series, not the base models)

Classic Army (be careful on some models)

There's lots of good choices, but what you like might not necessarily be what someone else likes. That's why it's important for you to look around, and most importantly - don't just make decisions purely based on other people's opinions. That's a very bad way of doing things. Do your research of what and WHY, and you'll be happy with your results.

if they're American companies will the shipping between borders be a problem? don't want my gun to get seized on suspicion. :a-embarassed:

if they're American companies will the shipping between borders be a problem? don't want my gun to get seized on suspicion. :a-embarassed:

I've imported stuff, and I've never experienced an issue.. but if something DOES happen, the chances of you getting your items are very small, and you will not receive a refund if it is taken. It's one of those risks that you need to be willing to take if you're buying from across the border. I've never had an issue with anything, but I also don't live in Canada, either. Just make sure you/your seller abides by the law and there shouldn't be a problem. That's really the key. Remember that they imported the guns into the US as well, so it's not like they magically appeared out of nowhere.

well fro my first good airsoft gun I wasn't planning on spending 800 dollars on some awesome gun, just a simple m4 that doesn't cost too much.

Haha yeah.

With only a budget, you have 1 or 2 choice to choose from.

Here's the truth. With $300, you're not going to make a godlike or good DMR. You can make a decent one but the gun would be more of a close/mid range gun than a DMR. Airsoft is costly.

1. You can buy a high end gun. G&P, kwa, TM, VFC, etc... and use the gun stock. Most of these guns are good internally and externally. They should be fine but you will have to play close/mid combat on these guns.

2. you cheap out and get a jg or G&G m4.($150~ new or $80-100 used) With around 140-200 left, you can use the money to upgrade your gun. You can make a semi dmr or a really good mid range gun.

Both are good choice but I would go with the first one and get a VFC or G&P. Then from there, upgrade the gun and do a lot with it.

Why the first choice? Well it retains more value off buying a G&G/ J&G. Spending $300 on a G&P or VFC or Kwa, you can atleast get a good $200-$250 back on the gun if you decide to resell the gun and lose only a bit if the gun is in good condition.

On the other hand, upgrading a low end model gun, you can make around $150-200 back at most. But the 2nd option is good cuz you will have the better gun to scrim with.

If you're into airsoft, then get the high end model so you don;t have to resell your gun and buy a better gun and then upgrade it.

Haha yeah.

Here's the truth. With $300, you're not going to make a godlike or good DMR. You can make a decent one but the gun would be more of a close/mid range gun than a DMR. Airsoft is costly.

1. You can buy a high end gun. G&P, kwa, TM, VFC, etc... and use the gun stock. Most of these guns are good internally and externally. They should be fine but you will have to play close/mid combat on these guns.

2. you cheap out and get a jg or G&G m4.($150~ new or $80-100 used) With around 140-200 left, you can use the money to upgrade your gun. You can make a semi dmr or a really good mid range gun.

Both are good choice but I would go with the first one and get a VFC or G&P. Then from there, upgrade the gun and do a lot with it.

Why the first choice? Well it retains more value off buying a G&G/ J&G. Spending $300 on a G&P or VFC or Kwa, you can atleast get a good $200-$250 back on the gun if you decide to resell the gun and lose only a bit if the gun is in good condition.

On the other hand, upgrading a low end model gun, you can make around $150-200 back at most. But the 2nd option is good cuz you will have the better gun to scrim with.

If you're into airsoft, then get the high end model so you don;t have to resell your gun and buy a better gun and then upgrade it.

I think im going to get a high end gun from one of your suggested retailers, thanks for the help. I might ask about a certain model later on after checking those retailers out.

Haha yeah.

what is your opinion on this gun? http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...oducts_id=11354

I'll stay away from CA. I don't like CA guns that much besides their m249 series. Their guns are effiy to me.

Go wit hthe vfc, G&P, kwa. They are more realiable with their price.

Also, look at this forum and find a gun you like.

If you don't mind using a used gun, there are great deals on this sells market that you can find a used gun with upgrades with the same price as a new one

example: G&P m4 (brand new $350). Used $300 to 350 but with at least a good $100-200 in upgrades internally/external...

I'll stay away from CA. I don't like CA guns that much besides their m249 series. Their guns are effiy to me.

Go wit hthe vfc, G&P, kwa. They are more realiable with their price.

Also, look at this forum and find a gun you like.

If you don't mind using a used gun, there are great deals on this sells market that you can find a used gun with upgrades with the same price as a new one

example: G&P m4 (brand new $350). Used $300 to 350 but with at least a good $100-200 in upgrades internally/external...

I don't mind a used gun at all, ill look on this forum

I am fairly new to airsofting myself as well. I choose to go with a KWA KM4A1 as my first high end purchase for a totally all stock gun I couldn't be happier. People where I play definitely have some upgraded custom guns that out class mine. Also, some stock guns (at least I believe they were stock). But, what I don't have in power and rof (rate of fire) I have made up for with using superior tactics.

Like most people have suggested you should go with an AEG...from my research FPS and barrel length do make a difference some people will tell you these things don't matter. But, you will quickly find they do. If you want to keep open your option of sniping open I would recommend getting an m14 you have a longer barrel which will give you increased accuracy. although that isn't the only thing that affects accuracy it does help. The disadvantage of this would be you are working with a longer platform limiting your mobility. sometimes you need to move fast and having more gun means more things you might bump into with your gun which is never good regardless of how quality your externals are.

I recommend finding a platform you will like. You will find that for the most part I believe they will operate at about the same level just with different life spans depending on the brand you get and how you run your gun different batteries will affect your rof and give your gun more wear. Then look at how easy a specific brand is to upgrade should the need arise. I would suggest looking for things that say TM compatible. In my experience and research it seems as if this is the most common spec'ed type gear box.

In the end I will say I started with a airsoft gun I got about 9 years ago and I found it wasn't so much about the gun (it wasn't great) as much as it was about me learning how the people I played against behaved. It is possible to get kills with a gun that doesn't preform well and have the enemy clueless as to where you are. I'm talking about shooting people 25 feet away and them having no idea where I am even though I am almost totally out in the open. It almost made me feel like a sniper just with out the long range shots.

So, just remember this is just a game. have fun. call your hits. and the gear you run isn't as important as what you can learn from your experiences and how you implement it into the next game.

EDIT: I didn't talk about what you should get...I would say a Classic Army (CA) spartan edition my friend picked one up and is very happy with it. Another, friend got a G&P and is also happy with it, and as I said I got a KWA and am happy with it. I would say the G&P(he got the magpul edition or whatever) seems like it's the hardest to care for...my friend hasn't even removed the barrel to clean it he also had some problems with the hopup not sure if he has solved that or not. The issue with removing the barrel is he didn't want to cut some heat shrink to remove wiring to be able to get deeper into the gun. I believe the CA has the same take down as the KWA which I have found to be very easy to work on although I haven't gone into the gearbox yet.

Edited by SmokeScreen

Like most people have suggested should go with an AEG...from my research FPS and barrel length do make a difference some people will tell you these things don't matter. But, you will quickly find they do. If you want to keep open your option of sniping open I would recommend getting an m14 you have a longer barrel which will give you increased accuracy. although that isn't the only thing that affects accuracy it does help. The disadvantage of this would be you are working with a longer platform limiting your mobility. sometimes you need to move fast and having more gun means more things you might bump into with your gun which is never good regardless of how quality your externals are.

In a real firearm, a longer barrel is good. In airsoft, as RA1N said, a longer barrel isn't always helpful. And FPS is just Feet Per Second, that's the speed of your BB. If you're TM MP5 is shooting at say 250 FPS, it can hit a target 75 feet away, simple. If you had a CYMA MP5, and they were the same model gun but this is shooting at 375 FPS, it will also hit a target at 75 feet, but it will reach the target faster.

That's one part, and there are other parts to this technically, but I'm not a ballistics expert so I won't talk about it :a-laugh:

I have been Sniping for well over for years and I have never really cared for AEG's. I prefer the One Shot One Kill method. I have had many kinds of Snipers Bar-10's, VSR's, M28's, ETC... I have always chosen to airsoft on a budget and have had the gas Snipers which I hate. You would want to stick with a bolt action spring sniper, they are the most reliable and easiest to maintain. I prefer getting cheaper guns and upgrading them. I purchased the Echo 1 ASR (Advanced Sniper Rifle) which has many upgrades available. So far the ASR is my favorite gun that I have had, Mainly because of the price and the ability upgrade it easily. If you shop on Airsoft GI the gun is $115 and comes with three mags. Out of the box the ASR shoots between 450 and 480 FPS which is pretty good. Airsoft GI carries the upgrade kit but it is currently out of stock. Evike has them for the same price but I prefer GI (personal preference) Mags are $13 on GI and $9 one Evike however GI carries the exact barrel upgrade for it (madbull) for around $40. If your new it will be the perfect gun. I love it and you feel it at 200 feet when you get hit. I recommend this gun and some 0.30 BB's. If anyone would like send me a message and I will personal pull together a list including the ASR and some accesories under your budget that will complete a very good sniper loadout. don't forget your side arm!