to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
CoyVining

Pistol Grip butt cap problems

Hey, guys! Coy here!

So I got a JG M4s system enhanced 2012 for Christmas as a gift from pops. Grey plastic body so I decided to paint the body black. Dissassimbly goes fine and all and I paint the body flat black. I get the gun back together and put the cap back on the pistol grip. Plug in the battery to make sure everything works as it should and that I didn't damage anything (like my usual routine). Pull the trigger in semi. *Click* Pull the trigger in Auto. *Click*

So I take the gun back apart make sure everything is fine and make sure the gearbox is reset.

I run a test out side of the body with the gearbox back together. Ran fine. Put the gun back together, cap the motor again; *Click*

At this point I was getting frustrated. But I tried something else.

I took the heat sink cap off of my other M4. Capped the JG, ran fine, with the heat sink in the grip. So I left it on the JG.

I've been trying to figure out what is up with this grip cap. When I first got the JG it ran fine with it until I took it off and put it back on. I've been trying to figure out what's wrong with it, in my other gun. No matter what I do with the cap ( adjust the motor height, etc.) it just won't let the gearbox turn over. Any ideas?

Is your battery charged? If there isn't enough charge to pull back the spring the motor won't be able to turn and you'll hear a clicking noise as the motor hits the gears but can't turn them. This happened on my JG m4, so just try it.

this might not be the problem, but it cant hurt to try.

Is your battery charged? If there isn't enough charge to pull back the spring the motor won't be able to turn and you'll hear a clicking noise as the motor hits the gears but can't turn them. This happened on my JG m4, so just try it.

this might not be the problem, but it cant hurt to try.

Yep. Both are fully charged.

You could have the motor's pinion jammed up in the bevel but also you could have electrical shorting but the short is the slightest touch.

I would suspect the bevel-to-pinion first.

What you want to do is remove everything, leave just the gearbox, bevel, motor, lower receiver, and pistol grip assembled. Then check the bevel for pressure with a long small flat head screw driver. If it can spin freely then you know your issue is a short. You could just look at the motor and motor end plate for a spark burn. If you insulate the motor properly then the motor will turn fine with the motor cap on it.

I also suggest install the metal plate with it. That is used so the bottom of the motor cannot be pressed by the motor adjustment screw.

Don't mess with the motor height unless you have the gearbox open. You will destroy your pinion or bevel gear doing that. You need to do it visually, not by sound.

Are you sure the wires are not popping off the motor? Make sure to fully seat the motor connector, better yet, solder the wire right to the motor.

Otherwise, Zack gave you a good list to start from.

There's no short. It's getting power. Remember, I said that both this M4 and, the JG M4s that this pistol grip cap came on, had this same problem with the cap. I took the heat sink of of the M4 in the video, put it on my JG and it works fine.

No, every time I took the cap off to take the motor out, the connections where secure. I know it's not a motor or wiring problem, because everything works fine, outside of the body and grip.

I'm still confused as to why it did this. It worked fine until I took apart my JG and put it back together, and as you always should, I put it back together the way it came apart. (Like we even have a choice. :P)

The motor can't be pinching a wire either because every time I pull the trigger, you can here a click, meaning the motor is getting power. And again, my batteries are fully charged. I made sure of it when I made the video.

Don't worry. When I got the heat sink in place, I took the M4s back apart to adjust the motor height. YouTube is helpful. :p

Edited by Revy

For now I would rule the bevel-to-pinion is totally off.

IT HAPPENED IN BOTH GUNS. THE HEAT SINK WORKS WITH THE GUNS BUT THE JG CAP DOES NOT.

You could have the motor's pinion jammed up in the bevel

That's one theory I had also, but if that were the case, it would have done it before I took the gun apart. I didn't mess with the motor height either when I put the rifle back together.

Edited by airborne101

That's one theory I had also, but if that were the case, it would have done it before I took the gun apart. I didn't mess with the motor height either when I put the rifle back together.

Revy, if you handed the gun to me I would have it fixed 15 minutes tops just for that 1 issue. You need to run the test I suggested. If not, you probably will never fix it. Otherwise get the same plate. But what is probably happening is the motor's pinion is pressing the bevel way too hard. You need to shim accordingly, this requires checking the bevel-to-pinion precisely.

Revy, if you handed the gun to me I would have it fixed 15 minutes tops just for that 1 issue. You need to run the test I suggested. If not, you probably will never fix it. Otherwise get the same plate. But what is probably happening is the motor's pinion is pressing the bevel way too hard. You need to shim accordingly, this requires checking the bevel-to-pinion precisely.

I'll re-shim both and adjust the motor height accordingly. But, I need more shims. Do you know of anywhere I can get more shims, so I don't have to wait a week from ASGI or Evike?

Edited by Revy

Honestly I would just adjust your motor height (on the on that isnt working abit lower) Sometimes motor height on those can come loose when pressure is not givin by the motor. I do not know why no one has said(other then the person saying it will mess up your gun). Just go by small turns, you can also possibly having a pinch in your wires when assembly.

Honestly I would just adjust your motor height (on the on that isnt working abit lower) Sometimes motor height on those can come loose when pressure is not givin by the motor. I do not know why no one has said(other then the person saying it will mess up your gun). Just go by small turns, you can also possibly having a pinch in your wires when assembly.

We don't like to suggest that since we have no idea where the pinion will turn it's rage. I always like to see where the pinion will spin so nothing goes wrong.

I am pretty sure a alittle bit of adjusting wouldn't harm it. Plus it still something he should try because it could simply be the problem. Yes there should be reshimming and testing but for now it could be a simple over adjusted motor height.

I am pretty sure a alittle bit of adjusting wouldn't harm it. Plus it still something he should try because it could simply be the problem. Yes there should be reshimming and testing but for now it could be a simple over adjusted motor height.

I tried that as well, and it still made the clicking sound and wouldn't turn over. If it was a pinched wire, it wouldn't even get power, would it?

I tried that as well, and it still made the clicking sound and wouldn't turn over. If it was a pinched wire, it wouldn't even get power, would it?

It will turn if it has power and nothing is bounding the pinion. It can turn on the wire even. But bounding requires bad bevel-to-pinion.