Sign in to follow this  
Plasmio

Is the SCAr-H compatible with M16A1 mags?

Guest alberty

Another "no" from me. The SCAR-H uses a different caliber (7.62/.308 in firearm terms) and so a different magazine.

The SCAR-L is the one able to use most standard M4/AR mags because it's 5.56/.223.

Could you modify to fit? Sure, but it would need a lot of work, still might not work well, would look bad, and is probably not worth the savings.

Edited by alberty

Actually airborne, that's not entirely true. The STAR/Ares M14 and MK17 magazines are compatible. Now the real question is, why would anyone want to use guns with such terrible internals, but to each his own...

But yeah, and there's even magazine imcompatiblities between different brands of SR25s and MK17s. Some G&G mags would just never sit correctly inside the mag well of my A&K, the Ares takes something weird if I remember correctly, and the G&P ones wouldnt feed very well inside my VFC SSR.

No. The SCAR-H requires 7.62mm/.308 style mags. The M16 uses 5.56mm/.223 style mags. The M16 mags would be too small in the SCAR-H and thus not function properly.

You know, I'm not even sure why I asked this question now. I already knew that the SCAR-H fires 7.62 and the M16A1 fires 5.56. I guess I wasn't thinking and just basing it off of magazine shape.

Actually airborne, that's not entirely true. The STAR/Ares M14 and MK17 magazines are compatible. Now the real question is, why would anyone want to use guns with such terrible internals, but to each his own...

That, I did not know, mostly because I don't pay attention to ARES garbage, and STAR is no longer in business. (Technically I think it is through ARES, but ARES took everything south and can do anything right.)