Sign in to follow this  
borcky90

How Big is Too Big?

So with me refund from airsplat on the E1 I bought and the time I've had to think about which new gun to buy, I've decided to save up the extra cash and buy a nice quality gun. I wanted to start working on guns but at the moment, I'd rather just get out and play and learn as I go. I was looking into VFC since they seem to be right up my alley with quality, looks, and price. The most I'd want to spend on a gun is about 350 because at the moment I can't really justify spending more (personal opinion based on how frequent I play).

Anyways, I started to really like the Socom Gear M4s which are VFC with licensed externals. I am looking for a new gun to play and I want to get into CQB a little bit but I can't say that I will be limited to that. I liked the SG Omega with the 7" rail but the more I looked the more I loved the 12" rail with the rail extending past the front sight. Pictures for everyone to see:

SocomGearOmega.jpg

SocomGearOmega12.jpg

Obviously the 7" rail will be better for CQB but my question is how big is too big for CQB? If I go with the 12" will it just be too big and annoying to play with indoors? I haven't had a chance to play much CQB yet and I'd love to hear everyones opinions. If I get a shorter stock for the 12" will that compensate for the longer barrel a bit or will it not be worth it? Again, I won't be using this gun for CQB only, I will most likely be using it for field play as well.

Thanks for your time everyone.

If I go with the 12" will it just be too big and annoying to play with?

well..... some women are never satisfied no matter what :b

I have the kwa sr-7. seems like thats the sort of thing youd be looking for. they shoot really straight out of the box even with a short barrel. you can always go looking for someone selling a spare upper set that is longer or shorter than what you already have so you can easilly swap between the 2 without having to have 2 dif guns

.....and last time I purchased anything socom gear it was actually echo 1

I have the kwa sr-7. seems like thats the sort of thing youd be looking for. they shoot really straight out of the box even with a short barrel.

.....and last time I purchased anything socom gear it was actually echo 1

I was looking at the KWA SR-7 as well, but I liked the externals much more on the Socom Gear. I also read that E1 and G&G are rebranded with different externals by Socom Gear as well but the higher priced M4's are VFC. I will look more into it just to make sure it is VFC. Thanks for the heads up and recommendations.

Guest alberty

I don't think anything is too big for CQB honestly. At my local CQB arena, which compared to California's arenas is like a shoebox, I use "long" guns only. I've used full-length M3 tri-shots, an AKS-74, M4 variants with standard length barrels, and even an only-slightly-shortened L96 there. If I can use those in a shoebox of a CQB arena, an M4 variant with standard length barrel should be no problem for you.

What's nice is that that 12" RIS will give you so many mounting and grip options as compared to the typical 7" RIS that people think is CQB-better. The retractable stock already gives you good shortening for when you think you need to really minimize.

FYI not all Socom Gear M4 AEGs are by VFC, but yes the particular one you're looking at is OEM by VFC. (I think). I know a few are OEMed by WE (still an AEG) as well.

Edited by alberty

im sorry but, when I see that 12" rail it reminds me of

seriously though, it looks more like a personal preference to me. I really don't like the look of the 12" but I also don't like the look of the m-16 style sight either. as for cqb, I think adding 5" to an already non-cqb gun is really minimizing your abilities out there. keep in mind I have never played airsoft cqb, only paintball. if you have enough room to make a corner with that 12" gun and be able to move as efficiently as the 7" by all means go with what you want, however with my experience you don't want 5 extra inches if you can avoid it in cqb.

im still unsure how different the physics of paintball is from airsoft; but in paintball, it really doesnt matter how long of a barrel you have the ball still leaves the barrel at the same fps therefore it will(depending on the balls) still go the same distance, plus or minus the length of the barrel. if its the same theory in airsoft, if both guns go the same fps or relatively the same, you should be able to perform well enough on a field with the 5" gun.

I don't think anything is too big for CQB honestly. At my local CQB arena, which compared to California's arenas is like a shoebox, I use "long" guns only.

What's nice is that that 12" RIS will give you so many mounting and grip options as compared to the typical 7" RIS that people think is CQB-better. The retractable stock already gives you good shortening for when you think you need to really minimize.

Exactly. Considering that most AEGs perform virtually the same no matter the barrel length, go with what would be comfortable for you. When I got MOUT training in the USAF, we used M16A2s, and my go-to gun for field and CQB airsofting is a Mk14 EBR. I like a very far forward grip with my weak side because it helps me snap to targets faster. If I use a shorter gun it robs me of some of that control. YMMV.

On the flipside, I can see how something real big may cause problems. Having a full sized M82 might be the definition of overkill for CQB, but again YMMV.

If this advice doesn't work for ya, you could always go ub3r1337 n1Nja and use nothing but pistols.

It will vary per player based on preferences, playing ability, experience, and player size. Shorter guns can definitely help; while I did fine with a 14.5 inch barreled airsoft gun for years I definitely noticed some increased personal performance when switching over to a 10.5 inch gun. Individual experiences vary.

Since barrel length isn't a huge deal for range in airsoft, maybe a shorter barreled gun is the way to go for OP.

I use my G&G F2000 for CQB which seems fine. It's also a bullpup tho. I wouldn't dare adding a silencer to it or anything in CQB tho. If you plan on keeping a flash hider or a stubby silencer I think you'll be fine. Once you start adding 8 inch silencers on CQB guns is when you run into problems. I've actually seen that quite a bit sadly, although they are mainly children who play COD. But still, don't be one of those players. If you get a CQB gun keep it short.

Edited by Dawnzero

Guest alberty
That's not a VFC, I'm pretty sure it's G&G

Correct, the Socom Gear PWS Diablo is just a G&G Combat Machine (not blowback) with Madbull PWS Diablo front kit and Madbull 6.03 tightbore inner barrel. There's licensed PWS trademarks on both the body and RIS. Does come with orange tip but the Diablo compensator will be in the box separately.

I think for the parts you get, it's an extremely good value in terms of someone looking for a cool short gun with better-than-clone parts.

Edited by alberty