Sign in to follow this  
Vozery

Which Rifle Should I Get?

Sup, I want to start playing airsoft and I love snipers and sniper rifles in general and I hope to be a marine sniper one day and I was wondering which rifle I should get to use as a beginner , but that will last me for many years even as I become a experienced player, the two rifles I was looking at were these:

UTG MK96:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=2111

and

JG BAR-10:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=2761

Ive heard that they both were great project guns and they both have a huge variety of upgrades you can do to them.

The kind of sniper im looking for is one that can hit from long ranges and be consistent in accuracy. I have about 200 dollars to spend right now but im willing to spend more in the future for any upgrades I need to.

What are your opinions? are these guns good? are there any other guns you would recommend?

EDIT::: I found this agm vsr10 and I don't know how good they are but arent they the exact same thing as the bar? or something like that

its on sale for 49 dollars.... http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/2277-MP001...-Run-Model.aspx

Edited by Vozery

If your going on a budget, go with an AEG.

A brand new AEG (thats around the same price as a BA) will outrange and be more accurate then a regular BA sniper rifle.

BA sniper rifles need a lot of parts + love to outreach AEG's. And money. I'm building a TM VSR-10, with the same upgrades that would go into a JG BAR, and the total price is costing me $1500. Canadian prices are a bit different for guns, cause I bought the VSR for $700, and there is going to be $800 worth of parts going into it. Parts are all the same price regardless of where you live.

Although if you were DYING to get a sniper rifle, JG BAR's are the best base IMO.

Some things to think about.

Edited by Oshiha

If your going on a budget, go with an AEG.

A brand new AEG (thats around the same price as a BA) will outrange and be more accurate then a regular BA sniper rifle.

BA sniper rifles need a lot of parts + love to outreach AEG's. And money. I'm building a TM VSR-10, with the same upgrades that would go into a JG BAR, and the total price is costing me $1500. Canadian prices are a bit different for guns, cause I bought the VSR for $700, and there is going to be $800 worth of parts going into it. Parts are all the same price regardless of where you live.

Although if you were DYING to get a sniper rifle, JG BAR's are the best base IMO.

Some things to think about.

im dying to get a sniper haha, so jg bar?

im dying to get a sniper haha, so jg bar?

Why don't you just get an AEG and build it up to be a DMR? Best of both worlds kinda. If you're really set on a BASR, the BAR10 isn't a bad choice, lots of upgrades. I started with a BASR, it's cool but unless you really know what you're doing it will leave a little bit to be desired in terms of "action." If you have that "COD" image of running around getting tons of BASR kills, you'll be outgunned most of the time. lol

Why don't you just get an AEG and build it up to be a DMR? Best of both worlds kinda. If you're really set on a BASR, the BAR10 isn't a bad choice, lots of upgrades. I started with a BASR, it's cool but unless you really know what you're doing it will leave a little bit to be desired in terms of "action." If you have that "COD" image of running around getting tons of BASR kills, you'll be outgunned most of the time. lol

^ There is the truth. A DMR is great if you are new and want to try your hand at sniping. If you ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY want a bolt action rifle, JG BAR-10 if you are on ye olde budget.

^ There is the truth. A DMR is great if you are new and want to try your hand at sniping. If you ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY want a bolt action rifle, JG BAR-10 if you are on ye olde budget.

lmfao if I had a view of anything like cod I would have bought a replica intervention and two glocks, I want to feel like im in real action and feel like what a sniper would actually feel like, like I said I want to be a sniper in the marines when im older and I want to see if I still do after feeling the closest thing to real action.

lmfao if I had a view of anything like cod I would have bought a replica intervention and two glocks, I want to feel like im in real action and feel like what a sniper would actually feel like, like I said I want to be a sniper in the marines when im older and I want to see if I still do after feeling the closest thing to real action.

Then get a VSR-10, put a huge scope on it, and go out to a milsim field hoping you don't get shot in the ghillie suit face.

Ooorrrrrrr get a JG BAR-10, upgrade it, put on a 3-9X40 mildot scope on it, and go from there.

BTW I go double 1911s, Glocks are too square and not sexy enough :a-laugh:

Then get a VSR-10, put a huge scope on it, and go out to a milsim field hoping you don't get shot in the ghillie suit face.

Ooorrrrrrr get a JG BAR-10, upgrade it, put on a 3-9X40 mildot scope on it, and go from there.

BTW I go double 1911s, Glocks are too square and not sexy enough :a-laugh:

How much are vsr-10s? link me to one. and hahah 1911's are sexy thoughh.

http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/Tokyo-Marui-...fle-p/13503.htm

$300+ for a TM VSR-10.

The JG BAR-10 is just a clone, if you upgrade it you can have a nice rifle for less.

Here is a BAR-10:

http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/JG-BAR-10-G-...fle-p/21320.htm

http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/Tokyo-Marui-...fle-p/13503.htm

$300+ for a TM VSR-10.

The JG BAR-10 is just a clone, if you upgrade it you can have a nice rifle for less.

Here is a BAR-10:

http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/JG-BAR-10-G-...fle-p/21320.htm

yea I don't have three hundred right now, and the bar I listed is seventy dollars less, and I can just buy a scope for like thirty

yea I don't have three hundred right now, and the bar I listed is seventy dollars less, and I can just buy a scope for like thirty

Well the JG BAR-10 is your best bet, get it if you want a rifle. The AGM is poop and nobody can afford a TM.

Oh and check the sales threads here, there are some nice scopes for good prices.

Vozeery...I'm going to sound like a twit here...but unless you already actually know how to hit something accurately and consistently at longish range with something as piddly as a muli-pump air powered copper BB gun, or to hit soda cans with open sights consistently with an Ithica .22LR at 150 yards...it doesn't matter what you spend on your sniper rifle, or how accurate it is.

YOU are the problem, in those cases.

And if you go teaching yourself "bad habits" now, you can kiss any invite to Sniper School (and usually, even, high marks on military rifleman marksmanship qualifications) good-bye, most likely.

Marines don't give you choice of schools ore military specialties (though every marine is an infantryman, first, and foremost), and, while you may apply to Sniper School, you won't get in, unless they invite you...and you have to be shooting in the top 10% of "front line infantry", or qualify for the USMC inter-service rifleman teams, to get that usually.

Basically, what I am saying is get an AEG or a gas support/marksman rifle, first, and learn to shoot properly on it...and I mean PROPERLY, before you start trying to pick up the art of sniping. And it is an art...you start with a skill for shooting, and hone it. Once you know how to do it, unconsciously, on an iron-sight gun, THEN you're ready to start working with a weapon that makes you pay attention to 10 other things, in order to make a shot.

I'll give you an idea here...good shooting with a short rifle (carbine, M4, AR-15, M-16, AK47/74) requires that you put the rifle in the same place on your shoulder EVERY time, the same point on your cheek (or your mask) in contact with the exact same point of your stock EVERY time, know how to brace your arms naturally to avoid "wobble", know how to squeeze a trigger, instead of pulling or yanking it, know WHEN to squeeze that trigger in your breathing pattern (also called "breath control), AND know your gun inside out and backwards, tuning it over and over and over to increase every bit of consistency in both yourself and the rifle.

Until you have every bit of that down so well you don't even have to think about it, while looking for people to shoot and watching out for people trying to shoot you, you can't even come close to STARTING to learn to snipe effectively.

Once you have that much down perfectly, you then have to learn to read your heartbeat along with your breathing, to get that perfect moment to squeeze the trigger (this is part of consistent picture, believe it or not. Your body angles differently at different points in your breathing cycle, and even by whether you're at systolic or diastolic peak, or going between them), you have to learn to read wind direction, speed, any variations in it, either immediate, or differences between you and the target (like a patch with a different direction of current...near a corner of a building, for instance), know how to gauge target movement, and how far you have to lead them, in what direction, to actually make contact over a distance.

And even then, not only are you constantly upgrading your gun for accuracy, but you are constantly, constantly, constantly "tuning" it, and having to zero it in, or work with it to re-gain all of that consistency.

If you're just looking for fun, with hopes of eventually making anything stellar out of your shooting in a military career, get an AEG carbine or a shorty (MP5 or other "shorty" gun), and use it for fun, not worrying about learning to "use it right", just how to make it work well enough for fun purposes. Do NOT try to learn how to shoot on a sniper rifle. That is something you are only equipped to learn after you're picking hairs off a frog at half the rated max effective distance of a carbine with iron sights.

This is coming to you from an ex-Army boy who consistently hit 38/40 targets on a pop-up range with targets between 50 and 300 yards that had to be engaged with iron sights...who didn't qualify for my regimental competition shooting team. I went into the Army thinking I was a hot shooter because I had a history of hitting game animals at ranges as far away as 200 yards with a .308, open sight. I was WRONG, at least a half a dozen ways. After they trained me on the M-16, I could hit 500 yards with my deer rifle (and had to use a magnifying scope to SEE the target clearly...scopes don't help you shoot your target, just help you see it). As I said, even that wasn't enough to make regimental competition team, much less division, base, or Army competition team. And most of those who do make any of those teams don't ever get an invite to sniper training.