to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
yawnjae

NEW PTT to Mobile Phone?

I've been browsing Ebairsoft and I saw this a while ago.

http://www.ebairsoft.com/ztac-zu94-z113-mo...one-p-6825.html

My first question is how feasible do you think this is? Or seeing how there actually is one released as of today, how do you think it works?

My second question is how many of you would buy it?

My third question is would this make a good alternative over a radio if you're on a budget?

EDIT: Found this:

Edited by yawnjae

This is very interesting. If it works properly, I could definitely see it as a viable option for in field communications. I would certainly buy one for myself as would probably 5-10 other people in our club. We have been looking into radios lately and this would be very nice. However, if it works like how I think it does, it would not work in the places we play in.

Three problems I see

1. Does this need data coverage to work properly? Due to the nature of airsoft, it is usually in the middle of nowhere (little cellphone coverage) so this would kill it right there.

2. What kind of affect on battery life on the phone would this have?

3. Will this work will everybody else's regular radios?

On a side note, does anybody happen to know what kind of headsets you could connect to this PTT?

Guest alberty

I think it's a nice option to have but I wouldn't use one personally. Smartphones batteries already don't last as long as I prefer, and having it run apps or communicating would surely be a drain on the battery though out the game. To cheap out I just use a basic Motorola walkie talkie set, and if you need you can even get them used on eBay or Craigslist.

I also wouldn't want my smartphone screen to get shot and cracked during a game, so using it as your communications may slightly increase the chance of that happening. I know, it's more likely to break from just being with you in a game in general. Should you need to do something on the phone though, you will need to whip it out.

Also, I know phone calls usually interrupt apps, and sometimes don't return you to the app when finished. If this uses an app, then you have that possibility if someone happens to call you while you're out there.

Alberty, that's definitely true. Smartphones probably perform 1000x more functions at one time than do walkie talkies and are finitely smaller in the battery duration compared to their walkie talkie bretheren. However, for me, who visits play to pay fields casually, I would prefer it just because its there if I need it and not too much of a hassle if I don't. I would only use the PTT for about 20 minutes in one sitting AT MOST so it would be convenient especially on a platform I'm technologically familiar with.

Guest alberty
Alberty, that's definitely true. Smartphones probably perform 1000x more functions at one time than do walkie talkies and are finitely smaller in the battery duration compared to their walkie talkie bretheren. However, for me, who visits play to pay fields casually, I would prefer it just because its there if I need it and not too much of a hassle if I don't. I would only use the PTT for about 20 minutes in one sitting AT MOST so it would be convenient especially on a platform I'm technologically familiar with.

Yeah, for short term usage it's a nice option to have if it isn't too expensive, so that you carry one less device. Although, you will most likely still be carrying the PTT and headset/mic/speaker for the rest of the game...

It would also be good as a backup if your main radio goes down or the batteries run out but then you'd have the issue of carrying 2 PTTs possibly.