Sign in to follow this  
Matt7N10

Any Good Beginning Support Guns?

Alex, you cannot ruin drum mags. They are sent from the Buddha himself as a gift of happiness.

High caps do the same thing yes, but they don't hold 2500 BBs.

I think the scary part is this actually helps in regular tactics, understanding the way people move.[/color]

And in the end, that is truly the key, isn't it? Knowing how and when people will move, knowing what draws they eye, and confuses it. You have those down, you're 3/4 to being a "live field" soldier. Which makes the difference between "Ma Bell" (anyone remember those commercials? "reach out, reach out and touch someone!") and "a bunch of friends and I get together and laugh ourselves silly while throwing plastic at each-other, not really caring about "win" and "lose""

Call it a competitive streak, but I don't buy into the "everyone who plays is a winner" mindset. If you go out to do something competitive, the idea is to cut the other guy's heart out, not to work up a sweat to no great purpose.

Which is part of why I like playing with my boys, and their friends. They have the physical advantages of being young, relatively fit, and energetic to a fault. I have the advantages of knowing strategy and breaking morale by constantly using those strategies.

Edited by verisimilitude

Starting off I would like to say I'm not trying to start an argument.

You made many valid points too. I don't know if you read it right but he said he's not down for the support role anymore. I agree for a TRUE MILSIM support gunner, you need a LMG such as a saw, but an m4 with high caps can lay down the same amount of fire (I'm not advocating it, but it does the same thing). I'd assume their team is not going to actual milsim operations, and since the support gunner role is taken he has no need to spend the money on a LMG.

From Wikepedia, "A squad automatic weapon (SAW, also known as section automatic weapon or light support weapon) is a weapon used to give infantry squads or sections a portable source of automatic firepower." Usually this comes in the form of a LMG, but in airsoft a select fire m4 with a lot of BB's does the exact same thing, it is a portable source of automatic firepower.

I don't know about you but people at my airsoft field have ruined drum mags for me...

I hadn't read the entire thing as I was too lazy. I now have and still regardless the AR-15 is still a horrible platform for even a DMR. A M14/AK/SVD is a much better platform.

And for ANY saw gunner you need to have a LMG/LSW/Purpose built gun. You can't lay down fire with hi caps. you have to wind them as where drum mags are auto winding. BIG BIG difference when laying down suppressing fire. Its a difference of 60 BB's followed by winding compared to 2,500 BB's if your gun could handle that. Again a M4 with Hi Caps CAN NOT NOR WILL IT EVER compete or be a LSW. "I assume" Yes you do assume. I'm sure they will be doing Milsim and even if not, I'm sure they will be wanting to heighten and harden the gameplay.

I hardly ever see drum mags at my field. I'm the only one running them. Hell I only have seen a handful of SAW's and they are the same people everytime. Mind you I live in SoCal and go to SC Village and many of the other big fields.

<AT>OP.

Just because the role was taken doesn't mean you still can't play it. If you are set on being a Support gunner you should be one and not settle for less. The DMR route is a Money pit. It will take you a good chunk of money to get a gun DMR worthy. How many players does the team have? If you have 10+ talk to the team leader and tell him that even the Marines have a SAW gunner every fourth man, and that as a SAW gunner you would be much more effective. If he says no and you really want to be a SAW gunner than just wait for the DMR spot to fill.

However if you stay and continue to want to do the DMR route, the RS SVD is an amazing gun and should do the trick with a few DIY mods.

Just because the role was taken doesn't mean you still can't play it. If you are set on being a Support gunner you should be one and not settle for less. The DMR route is a Money pit. It will take you a good chunk of money to get a gun DMR worthy. How many players does the team have? If you have 10+ talk to the team leader and tell him that even the Marines have a SAW gunner every fourth man, and that as a SAW gunner you would be much more effective. If he says no and you really want to be a SAW gunner than just wait for the DMR spot to fill.

However if you stay and continue to want to do the DMR route, the RS SVD is an amazing gun and should do the trick with a few DIY mods.

Not just USMC, that's standard Army infantry, as well, for both mech and leg active units (don't know about airborne, was run through the school, and off to RIP, who don't use the same team layout).

But yes, I agree, if you have the manpower, get an actual SAW replica going, otherwise the self-winding sound activating drum on M4/M-16 platforms (never seen a big self-winder for AK in action) is an intimidator, and very effective.

A SAW would be way better for automatic firepower, but I was just pointing out that you can do a lot of things to an M4. But that's only if he still wants to be the squad automatic gunner. He didn't really state if he wanted an LMG because he likes it, or just because he felt pressured into doing it for the team. If he honestly wants to be an automatic gunner, then I think he should pursue that role, but if not than an AR/AK/G36 might be a better option.

You sound like my father now. Scary.

LOL! Old goats all sound the same, on one side, or another. Either we're grumpy old curmudgeons who just don't want to be told what to do, or they're folks who went throughout life so sheltered that they could afford to think that telling other people how they HAVE to do things, and why they CAN'T do things is the "right" way to be.

Personally, I prefer the grouches. They make better neighbors.

LOL! Old goats all sound the same, on one side, or another. Either we're grumpy old curmudgeons who just don't want to be told what to do, or they're folks who went throughout life so sheltered that they could afford to think that telling other people how they HAVE to do things, and why they CAN'T do things is the "right" way to be.

Personally, I prefer the grouches. They make better neighbors.

Agreed, my neighbor is a grouch and he does nothing but sit around and tell weird jokes.

I hadn't read the entire thing as I was too lazy. I now have and still regardless the AR-15 is still a horrible platform for even a DMR. A M14/AK/SVD is a much better platform.

And for ANY saw gunner you need to have a LMG/LSW/Purpose built gun. You can't lay down fire with hi caps. you have to wind them as where drum mags are auto winding. BIG BIG difference when laying down suppressing fire. Its a difference of 60 BB's followed by winding compared to 2,500 BB's if your gun could handle that. Again a M4 with Hi Caps CAN NOT NOR WILL IT EVER compete or be a LSW. "I assume" Yes you do assume. I'm sure they will be doing Milsim and even if not, I'm sure they will be wanting to heighten and harden the gameplay.

I hardly ever see drum mags at my field. I'm the only one running them. Hell I only have seen a handful of SAW's and they are the same people everytime. Mind you I live in SoCal and go to SC Village and many of the other big fields.

<AT>OP.

Nice highcaps properly wound can be emptied in one go, so AEGs can, to an extent, fill a support role.

I own a CM.052.

It's actually a supersized AK (cm.048) with a bipod and a different stock.

The Rate of Fire isn't exactly what you expect of a support gun. It's standard AK RoF.

I'm currently running 13:1 gears and a high speed motor, but thanks to that even 9.6v Nimh batteries won't work properly.

You can put a Cyma/Echo1 drum in it if you file the sides for a little bit, just shave off the paint and it will fit. Downside is that you have to press a button to wind. Me being a lefty made that very annoying so I'm using Lonex flashmags.

When you buy it stock, it will probably fire too hot for your field so you have to downgrade it to where you want it to be. Shim it, clean out all the snot and regrease and fix the Area of Engagement. Since your gun is now open anyway, you could consider swapping the air nozzle ( Cyma doesn't have an O-ring ) and perhaps the hop up bucking if you dislike the accuracy. Be sure to fire a couple hundred rounds first.

As for mags, you want to get rid of the stock magazine. It's too large, you can't go prone with it. It sticks out and is longer than your bipod. My mag also doesn't feed to great.

Be careful with your bipod and rear sight, they are pot metal and very much breakable.