Sign in to follow this  
geter11

APS UAR VS Classic Army p90 tr

So recently I have decided to buy a new gun and I wanted a bullpup. And I have decided on these two.

Should I wait for the UAR to come out and learn more or buy the p90 and be done with it?

I play usually CQB and my budget is indifferent for both.

On AirsoftGI-(P90-249.99) (UAR-205.00)

Edited by geter11

Guest alberty

With P90 AEGs, the hi-cap magazines don't always feed well. You'd want to spend more money by buying a set of mid-caps or box magazine. Otherwise it would be an okay gun to have.

The UAR seems interesting but since it's new we haven't heard much about it yet, don't know all the pros and cons about fully.

From what I've seen, reaction to the UAR has been fairly positive. A few people have complained that it's slightly flimsy, but others have countered that no more so than other ACM manufactured AEGs. The one problem I've heard about is that not all brands and styles of magazine will work without some effort, some needing a bit of filing, some needing the velcro inside the magwell trick. Overall, it's a fun gun and *much* cheaper than the already problematical Magpul PDR.

From what I've seen, reaction to the UAR has been fairly positive. A few people have complained that it's slightly flimsy, but others have countered that no more so than other ACM manufactured AEGs. The one problem I've heard about is that not all brands and styles of magazine will work without some effort, some needing a bit of filing, some needing the velcro inside the magwell trick. Overall, it's a fun gun and *much* cheaper than the already problematical Magpul PDR.

I just got one in today for the store and I can comfortably tell you this is a nice gun for the money. I'll be doing a brief overview of the gun tonight. It's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than some of the other guns out there on a similar price point. I highly recommend it if you're into bullpups. I have both OP's guns on the wall, and this gun is much nicer than CA's P90 by a mile.

Just figured I'd fill you in if you're still on the fence about things.

Its made by APS...and their track history of making "good" guns has not been "good".

Compared to what? You can't expect Godlike performance and reliability from a $200 gun. It's just not going to happen. SOMETHING will be lost because of the pricepoint (whether it's an overall mix of things, or the body is junk, or the gearbox is junk, or both). It's definitely not perfect, but for the price - it IS better than most of what you see out there. You're comparing apples to oranges... and considering the fact many people will end up modifying the gun anyway (just like they do with their JG's or similarly priced guns), that's kind of a null point. This gun was targeted at that audience.

I'm not defending the gun by any means, but I think we need to be realistic about what you're getting. Like anything, you get what you pay for. That's the bottom line.

Edited by Dave@PBO

Compared to what? You can't expect Godlike performance and reliability from a $200 gun. It's just not going to happen. SOMETHING will be lost because of the pricepoint (whether it's an overall mix of things, or the body is junk, or the gearbox is junk, or both). It's definitely not perfect, but for the price - it IS better than most of what you see out there. You're comparing apples to oranges... and considering the fact many people will end up modifying the gun anyway (just like they do with their JG's or similarly priced guns), that's kind of a null point. This gun was targeted at that audience.

I'm not defending the gun by any means, but I think we need to be realistic about what you're getting. Like anything, you get what you pay for. That's the bottom line.

Sounds like you are and this gun was not targeted at those users. Why bother with a whole gun. Just sell a kit (like they used too 10 years ago) and let the end user mod it.

APS is a division of RAM Airguns (hint). Besides ill fitting magwells, rust on part out of the box, poor compression, loose fitment on cosmetic parts, bad paint, brittle parts, wobbly barrels and one off parts.

And I am not making this up from what other people have said. The above is all first hand experience dating back to 2010. Even the Palco guys wouldn't buy it. Spartan did and you all should know what happened to the first run of APS Javelins and Lancers that showed up in the US.

Thing is...its a 200.00 MSRP AEG.

I would take that 200.00 and buy a G&G or a Base G&P (yes you can get them for 189.00), JG's, CYMA....a lot more better options than an APS.

Thing is...you can take a turd and polish it. Heck I did with a "Baracudda" paintball gun. With APS...do not think your getting a "good" AEG. Well...I take that back. We would have to define "good" before we go there...

Edited by Guges Mk3

Sounds like you are and this gun was not targeted at those users. Why bother with a whole gun. Just sell a kit (like they used too 10 years ago) and let the end user mod it.

APS is a division of RAM Airguns (hint). Besides ill fitting magwells, rust on part out of the box, poor compression, loose fitment on cosmetic parts, bad paint, brittle parts, wobbly barrels and one off parts.

And I am not making this up from what other people have said. The above is all first hand experience dating back to 2010. Even the Palco guys wouldn't buy it. Spartan did and you all should know what happened to the first run of APS Javelins and Lancers that showed up in the US.

Thing is...its a 200.00 MSRP AEG.

I would take that 200.00 and buy a G&G or a Base G&P (yes you can get them for 189.00), JG's, CYMA....a lot more better options than an APS.

Thing is...you can take a turd and polish it. Heck I did with a "Baracudda" paintball gun. With APS...do not think your getting a "good" AEG. Well...I take that back. We would have to define "good" before we go there...

I have seen LOTS of their old stuff.. And had more than the "pleasure" of fixing a bunch of them for those who decided to cheap out on things and buy one of those junk heaps off the internet. We aren't talking about their old stuff. This is the FIRST TIME we have ever carried APS anything in the store. You think I want to deal with a customer coming back every day with something new broken? All my stuff is warrantied through me, so that's a big NO because labor is free in exchange for a headache on my end at that point..Especially considering you don't make squat on the guns themselves. If this gun really was a massive turd I would've just called it a loss and kept it for a spare on the field if someone else was having issues with their stuff.. I also wouldn't be telling someone to waste their hard earned money on something unless I was sure about things.

It would be one thing if you actually had one of these in your hands, but right now you're making blanket statements and criticisms about a gun you haven't even personally looked at or have any personal hands on experience with. That kind of claim is just as bad as someone saying "Fords suck" because their grandpa's best friends brother had a Pinto that constantly gave him issues, yet little Johnny has never owned a Ford, let alone has he driven one. Now I am defending their product :)

I finally got mine last night. Didn't get a chance to do much more than take it apart and poke around a bit, but it seems... interesting. You can tell they spent money in the right places, but it is also obvious that they were on a budget.

Unlike most bullpups which use a dedicated gearbox, it looks like they used a modified V3 and articulate the trigger with a bar linkage. Not sure why they did it this way as opposed to using something like the P90's V6 box, but whatever. :blink:

The internals are nice: aluminum piston head, piston with metal gears, bearings, o-ring aluminum nozzle; but then they use a piston head o-ring that is too small to get good compression and slop a bunch of grease all over everything. 1wtf1.gif

The barrel is plain steel and supposedly 6.04mm, but I suspect it is tighter than that because I ran my "calibration BB" (super cheap and not particularly round Wally World BB :tongue: ) through it, and it wouldn't quite roll freely. The same BB rolls just fine through my Systema 6.04mm barrel. That the barrel is a bit on the tight side is probably a good thing, but the flip side is that the cutouts and crowns look like they were done with a Dremmel. :wacko:

Speaking of the barrel, the flash hider on the outer barrel is reverse thread, unlike what is shown in the manual, and taking it off will go a lot easier if you heat it up to about 150°F first.

The wiring is supposedly low impedance super secret squirrel stuff, but it just looks like thin speaker wire to me. I'll reserve judgment until it survives being hooked up to a 3S 40C LiPo (a very skinny, very small 3S LiPo, since the battery compartment is not exactly expansive). :kamikaze:

BTW, it doesn't come with a battery.

The external shell is nicely moulded though, and feels quite solid. Ergos are excellent for a bullpup, with a relatively short LOP and good controls. The ambi mag release works great, and the selector switch has positive detents for the 3 positions. It's backwards, though (down=safe, up=fire). :rolleyes:

The trigger is... looooong, but light. There's a screw on the link bar, however, so maybe it can be adjusted to take up some slack.

Overall, I think the UAR is going to be a good gun. Compared to other guns in its price range, it stacks up pretty well, IMO. All the parts that you would normally have/want to upgrade (nozzle, piston, head, barrel, etc.) are already upgraded, with the exception of a $1 o-ring. The gun itself is light, compact, sturdy and looks great. It has plenty of rail space for you to hang stuff off, and can readily accept muzzle attachments. For about $240, you're going to be hard pressed to find better bang for your bucks out of the box.

If anybody is interested, I'll do a full review in a new topic with pics and a more long winded post. :a-sleep:

Guest alberty
Unlike most bullpups which use a dedicated gearbox, it looks like they used a modified V3 and articulate the trigger with a bar linkage. Not sure why they did it this way as opposed to using something like the P90's V6 box, but whatever. :blink:

Does that mean it has a trigger on the gearbox, and the external trigger pushes it with a bar? I remember on the P90 and AUG, the external trigger does push a bar as well but the trigger shuttle thing on the gearbox of them sits outside of the shell itself.

Does that mean it has a trigger on the gearbox, and the external trigger pushes it with a bar? I remember on the P90 and AUG, the external trigger does push a bar as well but the trigger shuttle thing on the gearbox of them sits outside of the shell itself.

TEM0Z0m.jpg

Weird, huh? It does not come with an ICS 3K motor, BTW. The stock motor is kind of "meh". Stock RPS = 11, ICS 3k RPS = 16 with a 2S 30C LiPo.

Chibajoe, what mags have you tried in the gun?

So far, only ICS and DBoys factory hicaps, and the mags that came with it. They all fit fine, but I haven't shot it yet, so I can't say how they will feed. None of my mid-caps (or, I suspect, ANY mid-caps) will fit, however, without lengthening the opening in the top of the magwell to accommodate the longer tower on mid-caps. You only need to lengthen it about 2mm, and it can be done with the gun assembled, but this kind of design oversight is pretty messed up. If anything about this gun qualifies as a deal breaker, this would be it.

tgER4qi.jpg

Guest alberty
Weird, huh? It does not come with an ICS 3K motor, BTW. The stock motor is kind of "meh". Stock RPS = 11, ICS 3k RPS = 16 with a 2S 30C LiPo.

Thanks for taking the time to post that picture. From what I see it seems to essentially be a slightly modified AK style gearbox (I know you already mentioned it's like a slightly modified V3 in general)...having a trigger bar push an existing physical trigger is strange to me but that's what they chose to do. Hey at least it's a V3 base and not a V2 so you have a reduced chance of the shell cracking or the trigger post breaking early.

Thanks for taking the time to post that picture. From what I see it seems to essentially be a slightly modified AK style gearbox (I know you already mentioned it's like a slightly modified V3 in general)...having a trigger bar push an existing physical trigger is strange to me but that's what they chose to do. Hey at least it's a V3 base and not a V2 so you have a reduced chance of the shell cracking or the trigger post breaking early.

I was actually thinking about this last night, and couldn't figure out why would you design an airsoft gun with a trigger linkage, when you didn't need to? Then it hit me: you don't need a trigger linkage for an airsoft gun, but you DO need one if you're designing a bullpup host for a real gun action. :Dr_Evil:

I haven't taken any measurements, but I suspect something like a 10/22 will slide right into this thing with very little modification.

How durable does the gun's externals feel?

Pretty solid. The lower is a little flexy when disassembled, but the upper is very rigid, and when it's all put together, there is no flex. While I wouldn't try to drive over it with your car or anything, it's not going to break if you fall on it, or drop it, or throw it down your driveway to get that genuine, weathered look. :a-skeptical:

Guest alberty

I got chance to hold and feel a black UAR today. I personally think it feels very back-heavy, like the G&G F2000. The ergonomics are okay, just not something I'm used to from only holding it one time. The externals feel alright, I can't say what it's like to stress test it but it doesn't feel like something I would snap with my hands or something. I don't like the firing control because I think it's hard to reach but that's not a dealbreaker or anything.

Edited by alberty

How durable does the gun's externals feel?

It's not bad quality plastic by any means, but it's not top notch stuff either like you'de see on some of the higher tier guns. I'd consider it "good/acceptable" for 90% of the people out there, but if you're horrendously picky on the grade polymer for your guns - then this one probably isn't for you. It's definitely not crap, and it wouldn't snap/split if you dropped it. I am very particular on the plastic quality for all the guns I own (even the small pieces) and I think it's fine. I don't like the fact the trigger is plastic, but it's light and has a long pull to it.. both of which I like.

I've posted it before, but midcaps DO WORK in this gun.. If you compare the KWA magazines to the one that comes with the gun, you'll find they're very similar and fit the same.

I had a full video review but decided I want to redo it and touch up on a few more things. You'll see it on Youtube sometime relatively soon.

Oh, and we got another tan version in yesterday.. It's definitely not tan like the pictures clearly misrepresent. It's a mixture between dark earth and olive. It's not a bad color really, but it's not DE/Tan by a mile. I would've been pissed had I been the buyer of this gun expecting what was seen in the photos.

- as far as weight distribution, it is extremely close to the Type 97 Carbine. F2000 is much back heavier, and has a bigger "girth" to it. The UAR is very easy to handle in comparison.

Edited by Dave@PBO

The trigger is actually metal, not plastic, and you can take up about half of the travel with a bit of tweaking.

The tan is close to Magpul FDE, but a bit greener. I'm guessing it's going to be hard to find any accessories that will match the color.

The gun does feel a bit tail heavy, but it only weighs 4.5lbs. Add a battery, light, VFG, and optic and I suspect it will balance out pretty well.

Guys, I think the UAR is better. Here's why:

- ~350 fps

- 10+ rps (with 11.1v lipos)

- comes with two 190rd high-caps

- now fits most M4 midcaps, both regular m16 style, and the newer midcaps like the K120

- Ambidextrous trigger, mag release, fire selector, QD sling mount

- Four rails (bottom rail, left rail, right rail, top riser rail)

- Has two QD sling mount holes on the front of the gun, one on the left rail, one on the right rail

- Other than an allen wrench, requires no special parts to take apart

- Low price

- Very easy to customize

- Easy to disassemble and reassemble

- Wider variety of mags and customization, both internally and externally

- Can fit up to an 11.1v lipo inside

- Looks :censored2:' badass!

*Drops mic*

*Mic breaks*

*Cuss words are heard in the background*