Sign in to follow this  
Dobb

Pistols, Revolvers and Shotgun

Hey y'all,

I needed some thoughts on buying a new airsoft stuff. Currently budget isn't much of a problem but availability would be since I'll be ordering the stuff off e-hobbyAsia.com (These guys are always outta stock).

I'm more of a collector/cosplayer than a skirmisher but I do want to try my hands out sometime when I'm free. Now, I personally owned the WE Scar and the Glock 17, both are perfect weapons which are quite realistic and solid, that's probably my expectation at that point. Also, I live in tropical climate so there's nothing to worry about cold. Point being, I want it realistic, not something with 500 round hi-cap mag.

So I'm thinking about getting one pistol, one revolver and a shotgun. Problem with shotgun is, the only thing that's grabbing my attention is the Maruzen that's realistic with the shells and actions, unlike others where it's box-capped and spring.

I heard WINGUN is the more realistic of all revolvers with nice looking shells, ejector, actions and whatnot.

Has anyone had any experience with TM's 1911? I feel put off by the plastic built though and I'm not into upgrading whatsoever. I'm torn between USP, 1911s and Browning, though I know Tanaka and WE had Browning HP that's pretty sub-par.

Marushin revolver seems like a fair deal, though I don't like how there's not much recoil to it? I'm not too sure if this happens to all airsoft revolvers. Shell ejection for the pistols are nifty but I still like something for skirmish at the least.

Everyone seems to point me towards the TM 1911 for build (How bad are the plastic anyways? The WE Glock I got feels pretty damn nice), any thoughts on the other contenders like WE, KJW, KSC and Western Arms?

Oh, I saw SOCOMGEAR's 1911, it looked real good and it has an awesome deal of 2 mags and a lanyard from EHobbyAsia. What are your thoughts on it if anyone knows about that?

Edited by Dobb

You will not get "recoil" out of an airsoft gun(except GBBs, but that's just the slide, not the gun).

One thing to note for the shell ejecting guns is that you don't want to lose them, it isn't practical other than show really.

I heard WINGUN is the more realistic of all revolvers with nice looking shells, ejector, actions and whatnot.

And yet they aren't actually replicas of existing revolvers. Except the Nagant though, that one's new and spot on. Also, no airsoft revolver has recoil. But some of them (Tanaka) can get very loud and very powerful to compensate for that.

Maruzen makes excellent shell ejecting shotguns. The problem with them is power, gas capacity and the sound they make when fired. To make them practical for skirmishing it's common to see ones fitted with HPA, but you could always just bring a gas can with you in a game. But most of the time you'll see Marushin (or clone) and TM shotguns in the field as they're more efficient in sending bbs down range.

TM pistols can vary in finish depending on what you're looking at. The 1911A1 has a great parkerized finish and the series 70 looks like real blued steel (rivaling Western Arms, they're that good) but will not feel cold to the touch and you can tell it's plastic if you rap on it. If metal is that much of an issue to you you could look at KJW copies. Great, durable pistol, TM compatible, and you have an option to get the CO2 version.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. :)

I guess I won't mind the plastic on the TM 1911, as long as it's built proper to last. People tend to say it surpasses all the other brands for 1911 out there at the moment. How about the SOCOMGEAR one I was talking about?

I know that Tanaka feels more plastic-ly than DanWesson/WinGun revolvers, does anyone know about that?

I'd prefer to have green gas instead of CO2 canisters since it's strangely harder to find here.

Guest alberty

Socom Gear rebrands both WE and KJW 1911s. I think the version that comes with 2 magazines is OEMed by WE, and WE generally isn't good quality. Regarding value it's okay if you just want a dirt cheap 1911 with an accessory. The extra mag is almost necessary considering that the WE 1911 magazines only had about 15 rounds compared to KJW/TM's 26-28 capacity.

Tanaka feels like plastic because, well, they're mostly made of plastic. Metal kits exist for some models but go for anywhere between "that's really expensive" to "I'm not paying for that :pain:". Heavyweight models might be better for you in that they at least add an extra amount of heft plus are colder to the touch. Personally though I prefer Marushins heavyweight material, but Tanaka does make better finishes.

So given the budget and option: TM will win hands down then. I'm just worried about buying aftermarket accessories for it because I don't have easy access to buying parts. People are saying the WE's pistols are really brittle, takes too much gas and so forth. Is it true?

Though Tanaka isn't anyway that cheaper right?

Tanaka has a wide price range. Many of the models start at about $200 but the Jupiter finished ones are around double that owing to the fact that they're hand polished. That's Japanese hands too and labor there ain't cheap. Only real problem in buying a new one now is that they're all restricted in power after the Cassiopeia fiasco and require you to drill out the restricted output hole and replace the main valve o-ring to get things back to speed. My pre-Cassio 500 S&W can go up to 500fps with the hammer tension brought all the way up.

IMG_4058.jpg

Eh, it's in great condition, I just don't like how it's offered in chrome. Seriously, who needs a chrome revolver in airsoft?

But Tanaka can get really expensive, my friend bought one with a metal body and I told him he was insane. It's a wee bit expensive compared to a nice TM.

I just don't like how it's offered in chrome. Seriously, who needs a chrome revolver in airsoft?

Sounds like you've never heard of nickel plated guns before. The finish gained popularity in the 19th century not because people thought it was pretty but because they appreciated the corrosion resistance; a great boon in unforgiving conditions where few gunsmiths can service a heavily rusted shooter for trappers, cowboys, travelling gamblers and pretty much anyone who needed a gun for their day-to-day lives. And yes, even the 1895 Nagant came in nickel plated finishes. Personally I quite like my Super Chrome Silver Marushin SAA because it's slick and clears the holster faster.

IMG_2374.jpg

*Happens to have a nickel plated Stoeger*

Honestly, it clears the holster faster if you know how to use the holster.

The thing with nickel is that the end of the barrel gets all black and dirty after it's fired. Then you have to clean it off. I just don't like it as much as other people. Meh.

A quick update here guys. :biggrin:

I'll be getting the Tokyo Marui's Desert Warrior 4.3. I initially wanted to get the Colt Government version because it looks really classic, but I think I like the shorter barrel as well as the under-rails. Shame about the camo though, I think a classic-look is nicer.

Are there other revolvers that uses green gas? WINGUN was sort of on discount but it's using CO2 canisters, I can't get that I'm afraid.

Well HFC makes gas revolvers, so does Tanaka and Marushin. I like the Umbrella Magnum Tanaka makes, somebody fielded one and screamed "COME HERE RACCOON POLICE!"

The thing with nickel is that the end of the barrel gets all black and dirty after it's fired.

The same thing applies to any gun of any finish. It's just that on nickel or chrome it's more noticeable. For airsoft (as with real steel), they're easier to clean.

<AT>Dobb

You can scratch HFC and KWC revolvers off your list. As affordable as those are, they're just not very reliable and break down easily. Not bad if you're the tinkerer type and don't mind fixing/fabricating a few parts or just want it to fill a collection, but keep your choices mostly between Tanaka and Marushin. Marui also makes somewhat decent looking revolvers, but they only really do 2 models of varying barrel lengths and they're not exactly power houses like what the other two brands make.

TM uses 134a gas as prescribed by the manual. For the most part this is because of Japan's laws prohibiting airsoft guns exceed .98J and using green gas will just about go over that. There are however many TM guns which are safe enough to use with green gas so long as you don't live in a desert, among them are their 1911s.

Do you live in the US? if so you could use duster gas, its the keyboard cleaning stuff: DUST OFF!

It is similar to the actual airsoft brand duster gas, but doesn't have lubricants added in. In order to use it you will need an adapter. This stuff is pretty common in America, but I am unaware if it is easily accessible in Europe and other countries.

Noticed that most Hi-Capas are stubby 1911s, some had rails and some are okay, don't have to be completely classic.

I tend to get confused between KSC, KWA and KJC (All the KKKs.). Which particular brands are better? I might not get the TM 1911 if my supplier can't get me the HFC 134a gas, I really worry about paying so much and might end up breaking it, seems like a huge gamble.

Guest alberty
Does anyone know if the TM's 1911 Series 70 accepts most 1911 magazines from TM?

I would guess (guess) yes. Judging by the price and lack of any mentions of something proprietary from what I've seen on retailer websites, I think it should compatible with standard 1911 magazines.