Sign in to follow this  
M60VN

Which M16 Should I Get?

I have a choice between these two M16s

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=30908

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=28120

I have heard the JG has better internals but the AGM has a metal body, which I like, and I also feel that I could easily upgrade the AGM internals if they are really as mediocre as people say. Which one should I get?

While generally, I would go for a better body and upgrade the gearbox, I would always take a JG over AGM. It would be better if you could give some more details about exactly what you're looking for.

Just a good field gun in general. Something with decent reliability and FPS. I want it to feel realistic but if AGM's internals are that bad I will probably wind up going with the JG.

I have a choice between these two M16s

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=30908

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=28120

I have heard the JG has better internals but the AGM has a metal body, which I like, and I also feel that I could easily upgrade the AGM internals if they are really as mediocre as people say. Which one should I get?

I have the JG M16a1 Vietnam Version. It is the latest run model you have shown and it is absolutley awesome! It works so well and is so accurate in fact, I bought a 3-9X45 airsoft scope and use it as a sniper rifle. the plastic parts are no bother whatsoever and have not broken on me yet. It is a bit of a larger gun so if you are doing CQB then you might have difficulties but if you are worried about the plastic parts breaking, buy a three-point tactical sling like I did.

I have used my M16 for almost a year (8 months now) and have had night wars with it, night wars in very cold snow conditions, drizzling rain, and in warm weather and it works great to this day! :a-laugh:

Guest alberty

It's more economical to choose better internals than just for metal externals. Between the two listed specifically, I'd definitely pick the JG. Recent generation JG M4 gearboxes have decent externals out of the box--metal bushings/bearings, metal spring guide, polycarbonate orange piston and chrome cylinder. With some tuning performance is better.

Keep in mind that reliability is increased if you actually get the gun tuned for better longevity and performance. Don't just go by which gun is more expensive or which one has better internals from factory because AEGs can be upgraded with a lot of aftermarket parts and there's lots of cheap and/or DIY improvements that can be done to gearboxes.

I have the JG M16a1 Vietnam Version. It is the latest run model you have shown and it is absolutley awesome! It works so well and is so accurate in fact, I bought a 3-9X45 airsoft scope and use it as a sniper rifle. the plastic parts are no bother whatsoever and have not broken on me yet. It is a bit of a larger gun so if you are doing CQB then you might have difficulties but if you are worried about the plastic parts breaking, buy a three-point tactical sling like I did.

I have used my M16 for almost a year (8 months now) and have had night wars with it, night wars in very cold snow conditions, drizzling rain, and in warm weather and it works great to this day! :a-laugh:

Thanks for the response! That is probably what I will wind up going with.

It's more economical to choose better internals than just for metal externals. Between the two listed specifically, I'd definitely pick the JG. Recent generation JG M4 gearboxes have decent externals out of the box--metal bushings/bearings, metal spring guide, polycarbonate orange piston and chrome cylinder. With some tuning performance is better.

Keep in mind that reliability is increased if you actually get the gun tuned for better longevity and performance. Don't just go by which gun is more expensive or which one has better internals from factory because AEGs can be upgraded with a lot of aftermarket parts and there's lots of cheap and/or DIY improvements that can be done to gearboxes.

Yeah, I noticed the JG is "Lipo ready" and while I know that doesn't mean much as far as running an 11.1v, it does let me know it is built way better than normal. Thanks for your help! I will probably wind up going for the JG.

Guest alberty
Yeah, I noticed the JG is "Lipo ready" and while I know that doesn't mean much as far as running an 11.1v, it does let me know it is built way better than normal. Thanks for your help! I will probably wind up going for the JG.

Don't take the marketing phrase "lipo-ready" 100%. It just means that the retailers fire the gun with an 11.1v lipo and don't see it failing immediately--in my opinion that is not what a lipo-ready gun is. An 11.1v lipo battery will put more wear on your internals and if they're all stock and untuned, you risk stripping pistons or gears and having the trigger contacts melt.

Also, if you take a very low-quality gun and fire it with an 11.1v lipo battery for a while, that technically makes it lipo-ready right? I've seen a video of I think crazyNCman (leave comments about him out of this thread please) firing a Crosman R72 on an 11.1v lipo and it took him a long time to have it fail, but I don't think any tech here would call that gun lipo-ready. It's just BS to me!

Don't take the marketing phrase "lipo-ready" 100%. It just means that the retailers fire the gun with an 11.1v lipo and don't see it failing immediately--in my opinion that is not what a lipo-ready gun is. An 11.1v lipo battery will put more wear on your internals and if they're all stock and untuned, you risk stripping pistons or gears and having the trigger contacts melt.

Also, if you take a very low-quality gun and fire it with an 11.1v lipo battery for a while, that technically makes it lipo-ready right? I've seen a video of I think crazyNCman (leave comments about him out of this thread please) firing a Crosman R72 on an 11.1v lipo and it took him a long time to have it fail, but I don't think any tech here would call that gun lipo-ready. It's just BS to me!

Yeah, but aren't lipo-ready guns built to better standards than a regular gun? I know they aren't 11.1v ready but aren't they a tad better than normal?

Guest alberty
Yeah, but aren't lipo-ready guns built to better standards than a regular gun? I know they aren't 11.1v ready but aren't they a tad better than normal?

Again it's a term developed by the retailers. It's not like the factories produce separate lines of lipo-ready guns.

Just disregard the lipo-ready term for any gun, and know that for long-term reliability on a lipo, all guns are going to need a few tweaks or upgrades first.

I agree that the JG is a better choice, their internals are very nice these days. I owned an AGM M16 for a short while, and the metal quality was terrible. Very brittle and cracked easily.

without reading entire thread, im just going to say JG m16. I've had both. AGM metal body is crap. drop it once and get one hard impact, there goes your pot metal body. it had a 2-3 ft drop and the magwell cracked all the way up to the magazine catch.

besides that, JG's internals are most likely good enough for what you're goal is. ive had lots of JG's their internals hold up after only a shim job. if you're gearbox-ically inclined, then shop based on your external preference. personally I like full metal guns as well. but AGM has a really bad rep with my personal history so I'd go with the JG.

my two cents. :a-salute:

Just disregard the lipo-ready term for any gun, and know that for long-term reliability on a lipo, all guns are going to need a few tweaks or upgrades first.

I agree that the JG is a better choice, their internals are very nice these days. I owned an AGM M16 for a short while, and the metal quality was terrible. Very brittle and cracked easily.

Alright, I will go for the JG, thanks!

without reading entire thread, im just going to say JG m16. I've had both. AGM metal body is crap. drop it once and get one hard impact, there goes your pot metal body. it had a 2-3 ft drop and the magwell cracked all the way up to the magazine catch.

besides that, JG's internals are most likely good enough for what you're goal is. ive had lots of JG's their internals hold up after only a shim job. if you're gearbox-ically inclined, then shop based on your external preference. personally I like full metal guns as well. but AGM has a really bad rep with my personal history so I'd go with the JG.

my two cents. :a-salute:

Ah, kinda reminds me of my A&K M60VN. Had several parts crack on it. Does anyone here know how to fix broken pot metal? I assume it is not possible to weld it.

Edited by M60Slayer

Ah, kinda reminds me of my A&K M60VN. Had several parts crack on it. Does anyone here know how to fix broken pot metal? I assume it is not possible to weld it.

Huh. I've got the A&k mk.43 that I've used and abuse(under normal circumstances I mean) for about a year and a half, and its still pretty rock solid. But you could try JB Weld. Mix it right, apply it in or on the crack, and let it sit over night, and it should be pretty solid. Thats what I'd try anyway.

Huh. I've got the A&k mk.43 that I've used and abuse(under normal circumstances I mean) for about a year and a half, and its still pretty rock solid. But you could try JB Weld. Mix it right, apply it in or on the crack, and let it sit over night, and it should be pretty solid. Thats what I'd try anyway.

All right, thanks! What broke is the piece that holds the mag to the gun. They are built differently on the VN as opposed to the MK.43.

Might be too late, but Why not go after a G&P or G&G M16?

G&P M16VN

G&G M16 A3 Blowback

I know the second one isn't a VN, but both guns are considerably better than JG or AGM. The A3 from G&G is blowback and is more realistic in the sense of recoil. If youre going for role specifics G&P externals are known to be very nice. (COnsidering I am a G&P Fanboy, take this for what is is worth. I own the M16A3 from G&P and it is impressive.)

Airsoft is kind of one of those "you get what you pay" things. With the 20% off coupon you will be spending closer to $200 as well which is not much of a stretch in budget. Might be worth thinking about.

Just my .02

G&P M16VN

G&G M16 A3 Blowback

I know the second one isn't a VN, but both guns are considerably better than JG or AGM. The A3 from G&G is blowback and is more realistic in the sense of recoil. If youre going for role specifics G&P externals are known to be very nice. (COnsidering I am a G&P Fanboy, take this for what is is worth. I own the M16A3 from G&P and it is impressive.)

Airsoft is kind of one of those "you get what you pay" things. With the 20% off coupon you will be spending closer to $200 as well which is not much of a stretch in budget. Might be worth thinking about.

Just my .02

Nope not to late. Still saving up. I really like the fact that the A3 is blowback. I am definitely going to look into this one. Thanks!

Guest alberty

Nope not to late. Still saving up. I really like the fact that the A3 is blowback. I am definitely going to look into this one. Thanks!

Hang on, keep in mind that the blowback on those G&G AEGs are just cosmetic and don't simulate the kick of recoil. It does simulate a moving bolt, but it's cosmetic and there's no kick. With that, it means extra parts to deal with if you ever need to disassemble the gun for repair or upgrades, and it also means some parts are a proprietary fit because of the blowback assembly. In more general terms the blowback feature on the G&G is just a thin, tin-like metal piece that moves back and forth when you fire the gun. You don't get kick but instead just a clanking noise.

The gun performs fine out of the box, I just want to clear that up. And yes, I know it's not "bad" that the "blowback" doesn't have any kick since that means it will not affect accuracy.

G&P M16VN

G&G M16 A3 Blowback

Just my .02

I own the G&P M16A4, and I'm not impressed at all. The motor grip is misaligned, the body parts don't fit together properly, the "bolt" will get stuck when you release the charging handle, the battery lid in the stock can't be opened without a tool because it's too snug, the stock trigger spring is also ridiculously stiff. I guess they work well with the stock configuration, but it has been the worst AEG I've ever worked on. I'm also struggling to get my hop-up to work properly.