Sign in to follow this  
facewizard13

Wanting to buy an M249

I've been trying my darndest to find information about M249's becuase I'd love to own one soon. Trouble is though is that from what I've been reading it seems like the A&K m249 and the Classic Army M249's have been discontinued! I've seen the CA at a few shops and I feel that it would be the better purchase because of the build quality over the A&K. My worry is that if these are discontinued, how hard will it be to maintain the gun? Despite the gearbox being the "brick" PGC gearbox and it might eventually break, will I be SOL and have to buy a whole new gun? possibly the A&K gearbox will fit into the CA? I've hit a brick wall here as far as my research goes on which one I really want o invest my money in. Any and all assistance on this would be greatly appreciated!

Guest alberty

I'm pretty sure a CA would be the better quality if you can find one and are willing to spend the extra for it. If you get a stock A&K it's going to need more overhauling than the CA would.

I'm pretty sure a CA would be the better quality if you can find one and are willing to spend the extra for it. If you get a stock A&K it's going to need more overhauling than the CA would.

you are absolutely right alberty thats exactly what ive been finding when I research what people are saying about these guns. I literally google "A&K or CA m249?" and ive gone through a ton of forums to look for answers. I still tend to get a lot of people saying that you should get the A&K and do the mods (hop-up, fix box mag, ghosttrigger, etc.) and it will outperform the CA. Additionally, I hear that the CA still has the same problems.

Guest alberty

Sure, a properly overhauled A&K would probably perform better than a stock CA, but I think the CA would be a nice base for upgrading.

Sure, a properly overhauled A&K would probably perform better than a stock CA, but I think the CA would be a nice base for upgrading.

alright so the verdict is that the extra money you spend on the CA will make it worth buying it over the A&K. Also I shouldnt have to worry about getting replacement parts for the gearbox since they are all v2 parts, and I can still get a new gearbox if need be.

alright so the verdict is that the extra money you spend on the CA will make it worth buying it over the A&K. Also I shouldnt have to worry about getting replacement parts for the gearbox since they are all v2 parts, and I can still get a new gearbox if need be.

I've had a few A&K guns in my store come in for repairs, and ALL of them have been massive POS's regardless of what the repair was. I don't recommend them. Pick something else.

I've had a few A&K guns in my store come in for repairs, and ALL of them have been massive POS's regardless of what the repair was. I don't recommend them. Pick something else.

ooh, are they really that bad? :( ... I was content with buying one and overhauling it but it seems now like iml eaning toward getting the CA .... if I can find one that is. I saw one on a website the other day that was labeled "classic army m29" but it was actually the A&K model!

I own the A&K (have for about three years now). The only outstanding problems I've had with it are the bad trigger switch (should be replaced right away) and their use of pot metal (can cause parts to become loose). The pot metal thing is the worse of the two problems. I've had to space stuff out using various materials, and sometimes superglue. Also, the screws can start to come out on the body (fix using locktight or some kind of spacer like Teflon tape in the threads). Other than that, it's a pretty standard SAW. It really just has some external issues.

I own the A&K (have for about three years now). The only outstanding problems I've had with it are the bad trigger switch (should be replaced right away) and their use of pot metal (can cause parts to become loose). The pot metal thing is the worse of the two problems. I've had to space stuff out using various materials, and sometimes superglue. Also, the screws can start to come out on the body (fix using locktight or some kind of spacer like Teflon tape in the threads). Other than that, it's a pretty standard SAW. It really just has some external issues.

See that's the issue I'm faced with. Do I buy an a&k to save money because the ca costs $200 more? But then I'd be spending the money to upgrade the a&k to make it even with the ca. Or do I get the ca because that would be the $200 I'd spend on the a&k? I'm trying to identify the real problems with the a&k. Like boom stick said the body could start falling apart. What if I got the a&k and installed a ca hop up unit?

Guest alberty

I have not done a durability test between the A&K and CA versions, but if anyone can chime in about the external difference that would be helpful. If you think about it, since the M249 is not a common gun, you cannot, if at all, easily replace broken externals so if it were me I'd go for the one with better externals. If both are AEGs then any internal quality is not as big of an issue since they're compatible with aftermarket parts for overhauling.

I have not done a durability test between the A&K and CA versions, but if anyone can chime in about the external difference that would be helpful. If you think about it, since the M249 is not a common gun, you cannot, if at all, easily replace broken externals so if it were me I'd go for the one with better externals. If both are AEGs then any internal quality is not as big of an issue since they're compatible with aftermarket parts for overhauling.

thats the details were missing. I have read in a lot of places that the CA is just as bad externally as the CA, and ive read exactly the opposite as well.

**also im probably going to be using some G&P parts that I have for it. ik now a lot of people complain about the bipod on the A&K, so I can see if my G&P bipod fits. really the receiver is the only part im worried about. im not going to be cutting down trees with this gun or anything, but I'd like a little bit of security if my sling fails or something of that nature.**

Edited by facewozard13

What I've learned is that you don't pay for the A&K's poor externals in money; you pay for them in time and effort. Most if not all the external problems are easily fixable, and it doesn't cost much at all (materials: duck tape, small zip tie, hobby shop glue, lock tight, etc.). The fixes don't look bad either. The catch is that you have to be able to figure out how to go about doing all this stuff. I can make a list of what I've done on my SAW if desired.

Actually, the only thing I can remember not being fixable is the locking mechanism on the bipod wearing out. You can replace that with a steel bipod though.

Also, I've seen evike putting up SAW externals recently, so that would most likely be where you would get replacements for external problems.

Evike SAW external area

Edited by boomshtick

Guest alberty
What I've learned is that you don't pay for the A&K's poor externals in money; you pay for them in time and effort. Most if not all the external problems are easily fixable, and it doesn't cost much at all (materials: duck tape, small zip tie, hobby shop glue, lock tight, etc.). The fixes don't look bad either. The catch is that you have to be able to figure out how to go about doing all this stuff. I can make a list of what I've done on my SAW if desired.

Actually, the only thing I can remember not being fixable is the locking mechanism on the bipod wearing out. You can replace that with a steel bipod though.

Also, I've seen evike putting up SAW externals recently, so that would most likely be where you would get replacements for external problems.

Evike SAW external area

That's good to know, but it's not just the time and effort but money as well. Looking at Evike's selection, getting more than a few replacement externals would be fairly costly!

That's good to know, but it's not just the time and effort but money as well. Looking at Evike's selection, getting more than a few replacement externals would be fairly costly!

I actually have a G&P m249 mk46...and I hate the V2 gearbox in it and I was hoping that the PGC gearbox would be an upgrade over it.

I'm sorry, that post was confusing. What I meant is that 90% of the repairs that you'd have to do are small and cheap, but you'd have to figure out how to do them. The Evike parts are just because I know that there was a question about SAW externals even being sold in the first place. You probably wouldn't have to buy any of those unless you wanted to.

So basically I should save my $200 by buying the A&K and then install CA parts? Of course if I spent $200 installing the CA parts, what's the point of getting the A&K

get the A&K and install upgraded parts. CA parts aren't that good... You have better luck getting other brands like lonex, etc...

Get a mosfet, 11.1v lipo, do some mods. If you're running a high rof with either a lonex a1 or a2, and you want like 30-40 rps. You'll need to mod your box mag so it can feed faster.

get the A&K and install upgraded parts. CA parts aren't that good... You have better luck getting other brands like lonex, etc...

Get a mosfet, 11.1v lipo, do some mods. If you're running a high rof with either a lonex a1 or a2, and you want like 30-40 rps. You'll need to mod your box mag so it can feed faster.

oh heavens no, I don't want 30-40 rps. No more then 20 rps. this is going to be a support weapon not a cqb bullet hose. im planning on it having at least 15 rps at 450 FPS with a big battery. as far as upgrades are concerned I meant getting the A&K and installing a CA hop-up unit - not buying CA upgrade components. if I buy anything to upgrade the internals (gears, piston, piston head, etc. it will be some other brand.