Sign in to follow this  
Grayhawk845

Newbie which gun questions

ok, here goes,

Ive read a few threads and it seems that combat machines are pretty recommended for newbies. is there any other suggestions?

I'd like either an M4 or AK47. AEG for me im not spending the dough for gas when im not even sure if I like to play that much.

I'm a lefty if that makes a difference.

Budget I don't really want to go higer than 250.00 if I don't have to

ROF doesnt really matter.

I did see on airsoftgi that they have "custom" m4's. Are they any good.? There wasnt any reviews, they are also AEG blowback. I don't care blowback or not doesnt matter.

I'm looking for realiability, and durability at this point. Upgrades and such will come after if I choose. Doesnt make sense to worry about that stuff until I maximize myself and outgrow my weapon.

I like to research and get advice. I'm not a kid so ALL advice will be considered, and researched lol.

Thanks for the info in advance.

Sorry for any typos, this tablet has the stock keyboard and it sucks :-)

Guest alberty

Those Airsoft GI G4 guns are usually variants of the G&G Blowback M4 AEGs, basically the same base gun except with different externals on each model. They are alright but in my opinion I would recommend a different type of gun if you have that budget. The blowback assembly on G&G blowback M4s is a proprietary system which in turn also means a proprietary gearbox shell and receivers--it's possible to fit other parts with modification, but I personally don't recommend slightly-unique guns like that for that purpose. The blowback assembly on almost any AEG is cosmetic so it just means extra parts to deal with when disassembling your gun for any reason.

In that price range, you can get a nice M4 variant from a lot of other brands such as G&P, VFC, or King Arms. There's plenty more brands too. The Airsoft GI G4s are an okay value for beginners who just want a cool-looking gun and won't be opening up the gun, but from a tech standpoint I'd get something else for when the time comes that you want to open it up.

For an AK variant, you still have a good amount of choices. For a lower cost some decent performers/upgrade platforms are the CYMA and DBoys AKs, and some JGs.

For either M4 or AK variants, there's also Tokyo Marui but availability is limited and it's usually a gun that you buy and never open up because of its out-of-factory quality. They're guns that can run in the stock setup for years without any issue. At the same time, the price tag is high so if you're thinking to upgrade the setup to something different, you may want one of the other brands that are cheaper, leaving you money later for parts and accessories.

Edited by alberty

Those Airsoft GI G4 guns are usually variants of the G&G Blowback M4 AEGs, basically the same base gun except with different externals on each model. They are alright but in my opinion I would recommend a different type of gun if you have that budget. The blowback assembly on G&G blowback M4s is a proprietary system which in turn also means a proprietary gearbox shell and receivers--it's possible to fit other parts with modification, but I personally don't recommend slightly-unique guns like that for that purpose. The blowback assembly on almost any AEG is cosmetic so it just means extra parts to deal with when disassembling your gun for any reason.

In that price range, you can get a nice M4 variant from a lot of other brands such as G&P, VFC, or King Arms. There's plenty more brands too. The Airsoft GI G4s are an okay value for beginners who just want a cool-looking gun and won't be opening up the gun, but from a tech standpoint I'd get something else for when the time comes that you want to open it up.

For an AK variant, you still have a good amount of choices. For a lower cost some decent performers/upgrade platforms are the CYMA and DBoys AKs, and some JGs.

For either M4 or AK variants, there's also Tokyo Marui but availability is limited and it's usually a gun that you buy and never open up because of its out-of-factory quality. They're guns that can run in the stock setup for years without any issue. At the same time, the price tag is high so if you're thinking to upgrade the setup to something different, you may want one of the other brands that are cheaper, leaving you money later for parts and accessories.

OK, advice noted. I checked out the Tokyo Marui guns, 380 is a little pricey for me at this time. maybe if I dump my PB gun I'd have another 100 to spend or so, so I won't rule it out just yet. I like the fact that I don't have to touch it immediately.

Any advice on Magpul ( made by classic army I believe)? I know their parts from real rifles, and the quality is good.

I also checked out King Arms and I liked what I saw and the reviews were pretty good prices were in range.

Again I'm going off of reviews and your input as I have yet to shoot any of these.

I will most likely open up the weapon at some point, just because I do it with real guns to see the internals and know how it operates and how to do whatever I want or need.

How are the DBoys m4's? I saw one that looked cool, but looks aren't as important as function to me, If I want it to look cool I can do that after I start winning lol.--EDIT: I'll look cooler with a bunch of wins under my belt ;-)

Edited by Grayhawk845

Guest alberty

Be careful, customer reviews posted on retailer websites are often unhelpful and/or biased. Retailers usually have to approve of posted reviews so that rules out some bad ones, and often you'll find that people writing reviews don't give you information that is really accurate or specific. For example, you may read lines like "This gun is great it made my friend bleed in our backyard wars" or "This gun is great I can pop soda cans from far away!".

Magpul-customized M4 variants are not exclusively produced by any single brand. You'll see a variety of M4 variants with Magpul furniture installed. Off the top of my head I can think of King Arms, G&P, Classic Army, Aim Top, and others that offer a model with Magpul furniture. Magpul Industries makes some good stuff for real firearms but when it comes to airsoft keep in mind that it's fairly cosmetic to have Magpul furniture and accessories, and they have a high price tag when compared to similar or comparable products. Since it's cosmetic, don't necessarily choose a certain gun just because of its external looks.

I don't recommend you open your gearbox until you need to because it's a very complicated thing for someone who has not experienced it before. Putting it back together incorrectly or taking it apart forcefully can break something. I had a friend, experienced real firearms and enlisted once, mess up an M4 gearbox by accident on the first try even though he knows his AR in and out. However, if you go for a GBBR, takedown won't be as intimidating on the first try since it uses a sort of bolt system and stuff.

DBoys M4s are not that great. Internal and external quality are low hence the low price factor. I'd suggest going for something better. Cheaper guns like those are meant for people who are only willing to spend very little or want a very cheap platform to completely overhaul. Even then, sometimes you will still want to pay for a more expensive gun for better externals, because the externals on a cheap gun are often not good, and aftermarket externals are expensive.

As a counter example, some of the CYMA and DBoys AK variants could use tuning out of the box but have pretty decent externals, so overhauling it gives you a good-looking and well-performing gun.

Edited by alberty

Understood.

I'm probably not going to go GBB at this time. I'll stick with AEG.

One more company to ask about, cyber arms I think ? M4 replica.

And you sir are a wealth of knowledge. I can't thank you enough.

So far I like the king arms the most. I like the mostly metal guns gives me a sense of security knowing its metal.

...I like the mostly metal guns gives me a sense of security knowing its metal.

Dump that thought now. Not all metal Airsoft products are created equal.

Metal does not mean quality. Low grade pot metal is soft or brittle. Good ABS would out last many of these alloys.

The Gen 1 CA Armalite AEG's were "metal" but if you fell on them you could crack the receiver.

WE pistols are metal, but the soft alloys on some variants wore out in rather short order and rendered the pistol non-functioning. Especially the Gen 1 Dragons where the "metal" slide catch notch wore out in 200 shots.

Price is a good guide on quality.

Your not going to find a good metal AEG under 150.00

Dump that thought now. Not all metal Airsoft products are created equal.

Metal does not mean quality. Low grade pot metal is soft or brittle. Good ABS would out last many of these alloys.

The Gen 1 CA Armalite AEG's were "metal" but if you fell on them you could crack the receiver.

WE pistols are metal, but the soft alloys on some variants wore out in rather short order and rendered the pistol non-functioning. Especially the Gen 1 Dragons where the "metal" slide catch notch wore out in 200 shots.

Price is a good guide on quality.

Your not going to find a good metal AEG under 150.00

Ok, That is definitely something I wasn't aware of. I have a lot to learn.

Price was definitley one thing I've seen throughout other posts that everyone says you get what you pay for in the world of airsoft. also to stay away from chinese fakes.

If you are looking for a good gun in that price range, I would recommend looking on the for sale threads on this forum. Here you can get a much better gun for your money.

I was just doing that. :a-laugh:

thanks though. I'm going to keep searching. No real rush I suppose

If anyone sees anything while they're in the classifieds( I can use all the help I can get ;-) ..)let me know please.

Guest alberty

When you think about avoiding "Chinese fakes", keep in mind that a lot of legitimate / decent quality airsoft products are made in China actually, sometimes including replicas, so what it should be is "avoid the cheapest knockoffs."

The brand you were referring to earlier is probably Cybergun. Cybergun is not a company that actually produces guns but rather they rebrand products and sometimes purchase licensing rights from the real firearm companies to lockdown the airsoft market. For an example about rebranding, the Cybergun FN licensed P90 is actually made by King Arms. For an example about market lockdown, Cybergun owns licensing rights for FN style replicas, so US retailers are not allowed to continue carrying the now-"unlicensed" replicas, so for example if you want a P90 AEG you will likely get that Cybergun P90. You couldn't get a Tokyo Marui, Echo 1, KS, or Classic Army P90 from the retailers anymore, or at least they cannot get any new stock in so what they have left is all that's left for you to buy.

Cybergun isn't the only one to do that--Umarex has had licensing with Hk for Hk-style guns for a while, but it wasn't until recently that "unlicensed" Hk replicas have also become disallowed for US retailers.

Guest alberty
What do you guys think of this local listing I saw.

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/spo/3677643623.html

Or this one

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/spo/3616705321.html

Not worth it in my opinion. Those listings are both asking for a price close to new price, yet they're used and a bit old. Though the TM has limited availability as a price factor, but I don't think it's worth it to spend $300 unless you specifically want a TM. Both look externally in good condition but that doesn't tell you about internal condition. Both have intact trademarks on the receivers. In my opinion I'd use that money to buy a gun brand new instead. These are okay value as a package but I don't really recommend it strongly.

For future reference, since the Craigslist ads will eventually expire or get deleted:

The first listing linked to is a CA M15A4 SPC with carry handle rail, vertical foregrip, Tac Force vest (cheap made-in-China basic zippered vest), Winstar battery charger (antiquated RC type charger), guitar strap (I can tell it's not a gun sling in the picture...), and Intellect 9.6v NiMH 3600 mah large type battery. $250

The second listing linked to is a TM SR-16 M4 with original box, x3 hi-cap mags, mock suppressor?, large-to-small Tamiya plug adapter, and maybe a battery. $300

Edited by alberty

Ok, I see your logic. I think I'll just go new. Makes it easier. After thinking over what you have said, it seems its relatively easy to swap out internals if they know what they're doing.

My wonderful beautiful great wife said to just pull the trigger, and send you the money if I want to blow money on stupid crap..lol I'm kidding.

She agreed and said for me to buy new also, (side note: shes willing to get involved also as far as playing..great now I need two guns lol). bro I really appreciate all the feedback, I feel like im being a bother.

Guest alberty

If you think you'll need 2, then avoid $300-400 guns unless you have the budget and are sure that you'll both be continuing it, not just a one-time venture that sits in the closet later.

Under $250, there's come good G&G, JG, CYMA, DBoys (for AKs), King Arms, KWA, and several other brands, depending on what type of gun you'll want. New is nice, but you don't need to be completely against used if you can tell it's something in good working condition.

Stay away from broken guns in which the seller tries to say "It's an easy fix" or "It's a $2 part at your local hardware store". If you ever decide to buy used from an online transaction, don't use like a "Gift" option in PayPal for sending payment because that takes away your chance of legal backing if you are scammed.

I would suggest not bothering with refurbished guns from retailers, not really worth the price savings in my opinion.

Edited by alberty

If you think you'll need 2, then avoid $300-400 guns unless you have the budget and are sure that you'll both be continuing it, not just a one-time venture that sits in the closet later.

Under $250, there's come good G&G, JG, CYMA, DBoys (for AKs), King Arms, KWA, and several other brands, depending on what type of gun you'll want. New is nice, but you don't need to be completely against used if you can tell it's something in good working condition.

Stay away from broken guns in which the seller tries to say "It's an easy fix" or "It's a $2 part at your local hardware store". If you ever decide to buy used from an online transaction, don't use like a "Gift" option in PayPal for sending payment because that takes away your chance of legal backing if you are scammed.

I would suggest not bothering with refurbished guns from retailers, not really worth the price savings in my opinion.

What I'm going to do is get mine, then let her play and see if she likes it.

Ok so I went to my local retailer. She sells stuff from Palco distribution, I did some research and found it's just not worth my time.

She had a King Arms M4, clear for 350.00. I think I, will not be going back there for any airsoft guns.

Anyway I was reading and reading, then I read some more, and when I thought I learned what I needed, I read some more. So... G&P seems to be highly recommended by you guys, I've checked around and as before. Upgrading comes later after I learn a lot more about whatever weapon I choose.

So I looked at a few different ones. Opinions please gentlemen ( I know we all have our biases when it comes to manufacturer, try to give me an unbiased view :)...)

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPat...baceb8f99b6ca5a

I know there's no battery included on most of these. which sucks, but What Can I do other than shop around and see what I can find

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPat...oducts_id=28775

this one they said that a solid stock mean I can incorporate a larger battery. Important?

http://www.foxairsoft.com/airsoft-guns/rif...ic-airsoft-gun/

I do kind of want to already have a RIS, See on the real thing I have an offset sight. I would like to replicate that, but it's not a necessity. Budget is ~$250.00 for the rifle. I can buy a battery and charger and etc.

No GBB or EBB.

Thanks for the help guys.

EDIT: what's the deal with ECHO 1? seems like I can get a decent gun for around the same price. easier to find than G&P

Edited by Grayhawk845

You don't really want an included battery, they're pretty terrible. An Elite 9.6v or 7.4v lipo will do you nicely for a stock gun.

A solid stock will let you use a larger battery, yes. This is only if you need a long runtime or have an upgraded build that needs lots of current. So don't feel that a full stock is required, if you prefer a retractable one.

I'd recommend either the G&P or King Arms. As stated, Echo 1 you're just paying more than you need to when you could just buy the unrebranded version.

Edited by gorbasho