singsing0421

18650 battery for airsoft gun

Hey guys.......I recently got a flashlight that uses 18650 battery. The battery is 3.7v and has 4500mah. The size of the battery is slightly bigger than an AA battery and it is rechargeble. Since I use 11.1 lipo in my AEG anyways, I wonder if it is possible to connect 3 of those 18650 battery together and use as my airsoft battery? It will be crazy to have a 11.1 v 13500mah battery in my gun lol. However, I lack the knowledge of electrical related stuffs and something inside of me tells me it is not possible......so, here is my question: is it possible to make it work? How to make it work? If not...why?

thank you

If you connect 3 of them in series, you would get an 11.1v 4500mah pack. If you connected 3 of them in parallel, you would get a 3.7v 13500mah pack.

In order to get a 11.1v 13500mah pack, you would need a total of 9 cells. You would need three sets of 3 cells wired in series, and then wire those 3 sets in parallel.

Is it possible, yes. But considering you sound like you don't know what/how to do it, you may want to just buy a completed pack.

If you connect 3 of them in series, you would get an 11.1v 4500mah pack. If you connected 3 of them in parallel, you would get a 3.7v 13500mah pack.

In order to get a 11.1v 13500mah pack, you would need a total of 9 cells. You would need three sets of 3 cells wired in series, and then wire those 3 sets in parallel.

Is it possible, yes. But considering you sound like you don't know what/how to do it, you may want to just buy a completed pack.

even 11.1v 4500 mah sounds great~each 18650 battery costs like 2$.......I wonder how effective it really is.....how come nobody made this happen if it could have happened with a cost of lower than 10$ each pack? ?

Are you sure it will rival the discharge capability of a $10 RC li-po pack? The RC pack will also have a balancing circuit built in to enable the cells to be balanced when charged. Without the balancing circuit you'll have to charge each cell individually.

tl;dr: it's more practical to get a $10 RC pack.

On top of that cheap 18650 cells are waaay overrated capacity-wise. If it only costs 2 bucks, and claims to be 4500mah, its real capacity is probably less than 1000mah. Real, high quality, 18650 cells top out slightly over 3000mah and cost $10 or more.

I paid $14 each for my AW 2200 mAh 18650's, though, they are really really good cells. If you need lots of cheap 18650's, go to a large tagsale and find laptop batteries, each battery usually have around 5-7 cells each, last tagsale I was at got me around 15 cells for under $10.

Edited by Tomtortoise