Sign in to follow this  
manning181016

KWA LM4 vs KJW M4 vs Other

I am looking for a good GBBR...

BUDGET: ~$500 for the gun, Maximum of $200 for internal upgrades (if needed)

FEATURES: It will be for field so if you recommend other GBBRS please no cqb models, no specific fps but, accuracy and reliability are a must (will upgrade if needed) External features are irrelevant (they will be replaced anyway :p ) Metal body preferred but definitely not a deal breaker. Quality mags are important obviously.

LM4: From what I've heard, the lm4 hop up isn't the best by any means and mag leaks are a bit common but, I have scene many forums and videos where these problems are easily fixed. Made of polymer but I don't mind due to the quality. On the other hand essentially all the reviews I've seen are good. Btw I'm only listing cons for the sake of space. I would also imagine parts are easier to get than with the KJW.

KJW: I don't know much amount the KJW hence my coming here, from what I've heard, the mags are arguably the best, it has a metal body, it holds 10 rounds less than the lm4, this has been widely recommended as the most reliable.

OTHER: While I am by no means new to the GBB world (multiple pistols, kwa mp7, kwa kriss) and understand the money and matinance that goes into them, I don't know much in regards to GBBRS. I am not afraid to tinker with my weapons and by no means am looking for a beginner weapon. Feel free to correct any of my info and suggest other GBBRS.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by manning181016

I have the LM4, I like it. Accuracy is not great, but I use it only for CQB though. Unfortunately, I don't think you can R-Hop it. I don't think the bucking can be flipped without ripping it. The LM4 is full metal. Only the top part of the magazine is plastic (polymer is just a glorified term for plastic), which was designed so if the feed lip was damaged, it can replaced cheaply. LM4's aren't exactly meant to be tinkered with. It's for people, like me, who are new to GBBR's and just want a reliable gun without having to do much upgrading. I believe the same goes for the KJW.

If you want a GBBR with upgrade potential, go with G&P WOC's or Western Arms M4's.

LM4's aren't exactly meant to be tinkered with. It's for people, like me, who are new to GBBR's and just want a reliable gun without having to do much upgrading. I believe the same goes for the KJW.

If you want a GBBR with upgrade potential, go with G&P WOC's or Western Arms M4's.

Im not looking to upgrade, in fact, I would much rather throw on my external upgrades and be done with it, I was merley saying that I have money in budget if upgades were needed/recommended to make it more accurate and/or reliable.

Well I do own an LM4, but I have had some issues with it. It was a gift and I love it to death, but the KWA Hop up is frankly a pathetic attempt. The Evo II is definitely a great addition to the rifle.

Mags leak. It happens. You have to maintain GBB mags and be sure not to freeze you o-ring, so that is pretty much a market wide "problem." As for the LM4 mags I really like the design, but they are hard to find, and with KWA lagging on all of their GBB mags you might have a rough time finding more right away. Its always do-able, but depends on the effort you want to expend finding them. Parts are very expensive, so it becomes a game of proper maintenance and use. This means frequent and thorough cleanings. Again this sort of is a GBB rule in general. The parts limitations however are rather annoying. There are tons of videos online to help you with many of the snaller issues you might encounter. Boobiem4h does great videos.

Budget for mags. I curretnly have 5 total mags. I need at least 2 more, and it gets expensive quick. You can very easily send as much on the mags as the gun...

As for other GBBRs I would suggest KJW, G&P, WE in that order. The G&P system tends to need upgrading to reach a consistent level of better than average performance. WE is on again of again withe their quality control making them last. KJW is great, but hard to find.

Overall the LM4 is a good competitor. The platform is slid and if youre just getting into gas, I would probably suggest it for easy of access purposes. Yes I know a lot more is know about the WOC series, but they often do require a good bit of tuning. Especially since most of the stuff people buy these days are of the WOC-X series...

Thanks to everyone for replying! I was leaning towards the LM4 from the beginning, and now, the decision is final. I was also wondering about external upgrades and even though that is a different section, I don't feel the need to start a new thread. So these are the upgrades I am going to get and was wondering if they were LM4 compatible.

- Madbull Noveske 7.25" RIS for M4 / M16 ~ $100

- MagPul PTS Ergo F93 Pro Stock for M4 / M16 GBB ( Black ) ~ $150

- Madbull Noveske KFH Adjustable Amplifier Flash Hider CCW ~ $50

- MagPul PTS MIAD Grip for M4 / M16 V.2 ~ $60

I will also be getting a magpul AFG, a surefire light, a replica holo sight, and magpul MBUS v2 flip up sights, but those will all obviously fit.

I plan on getting a total of 12 extra mags in addition to the included one, although I can not afford all of this at once so, I most likely will holdoff on the surefire and buy a few mags.

I purchased a vanilla LM4 as well as the Magpul edition, both are amazingly well constructed. As someone who owns several well-built ARs (primarily LWRCIs) I was very impressed with the LM4 build quality. Unfortunately, quality materials and construction aren't enough to make something function correctly, and the LM4 is a complete FAIL in terms of functional quality.

Within a week of moderate use (less than 300 rounds) both LM4 started suffering from chronic double feed issues, and despite scouring the web, there really isn't a legitimate solution to the problem. There's plenty of speculation and youtube hackery, but nothing that has solved the problem...which wasn't at all surprising. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that people are trying to make their LM4s work right, and even better that they're willing to share their findings. But for what people are paying for these "professional" training rifles, they really shouldn't have to spend hours filing, sawing, fiddling, and flailing, hoping they'll stumble into something that works.

And what's really amazing, is the KWA has been absolutely silent on this issue. In fact, they don't even respond to customer inquires, much less provide meaningful guidance or replacement parts to remediate the deficiencies in their platform. It's truly sad. If a real AR manufacturer put out such a lousy product they'd be pilloried in forums and be forced to take corrective action, or go out of business. But somehow KWA slogs on, ripping off their customers with poorly designed products and no sense of ownership.

If you value your money and your time DO NOT BUY A KWA LM4. I can't speak for their other products, but I can tell you that the LM4 has some real problems that make it unsuitable for its intended purpose. If you wan't to hang it on your wall, then go for it, it looks great. Just don't think you'll actually do any airsofting with it. Oh, and don't expect any proactive or reactive help from KWA's customer service department...that is if they even have one.

I see you've already made your decision. Interesting to know how things are working out for you. However, for those who are still considering an adventure down the bumpy LM4 road, I sincerely hope the above helps them make a better, more informed, purchasing decision, and ultimately allows them to spend more time on the field and less time on the sidelines/at the repair bench.