Sign in to follow this  
Airsoft416

Best HK416?

Hey greetings, I´m from Mexico, (in Sonora), and I want to buy a high-end airsoft rifle. My favorite model is the HK416/7

For what I was searching in the internet, I found two models that get into my price range:

The G&G Top Tech TR4-18 (The large model)

The VFC 417

My expectations are:

First, I´m new to the high end guns, I only have owned Walmart ($50-$100) guns and I want a good gun.

-Durability, I want that the gun to last long. My friend has a G&G, and his gun it´s shooting good after one year without touching the gearbox.

-Doesn´t break, I don´t want to be repairing guns, because like I told, I´m new to high end guns and don´t know much about repairing the gearbox (for example, gears, piston, etc.)

-Reliable

-Good accuracy

-I don´t really care much about the externals, because I´m new to high end guns, I really prefer 70-80% good internals, that doesn´t broke, or something like that.

I have heard some problems in the VFC internals (piston brokes, gears, etc)

I don't want another model gun, I love 416/417.

So, really the question is..

What gun is best in durability and performance (Gearbox)

Thanks and greetings from Sonora!

I would go with the VFC 417, a lot of people use them and they are good guns.

You're welcome and greetings from the American Eastern Seaboard. :a-laugh:

Thanks very much coyote, yep, I saw many people says that VFC is great, but my question will be, if because I´m a beginner, I need to maintain the gearbox with a technique or something? My expectations are to not open the gearbox a while. That´s why I heard some internals problems with the VFC, so I choose the TR4-18 as my other option..

Almost all guns need to be maintain. Nothing lasts forever. The ONLY brand that would is the Tokyo marui(these guns can last for like 5-10 years if taken properly). Every other brand could last up to a year or so but really depends if you get lucky and get a good gun and not a lemon.

and VFC vs G&G. Vfc for sure and the vfc has a higher resell value.

Almost all guns need to be maintain. Nothing lasts forever. The ONLY brand that would is the Tokyo marui(these guns can last for like 5-10 years if taken properly). Every other brand could last up to a year or so but really depends if you get lucky and get a good gun and not a lemon.

and VFC vs G&G. Vfc for sure and the vfc has a higher resell value.

Oh yeah, I know, I only say that because, the first 3-4 months I want to have fun with the gun without worrying about repairs or something. Then, when I learn more about gearbox and how to dissassembly, I will upgrade, clean, etc.

Mmmm, So yea, I think I will go with VFC, maybe later I will test G&G TR4-18, only because I love the 416 model, I will have VFC and G&G versions, (But first, VFC)

Thanks for helping! :a-wink:

I currently own a VFC HK416 CQB and it is my baby. An amazing gun out of the box, VFC is known for their externals. The internals aren't amazing but their not bad. Personally the only HK416 I would ever buy would be a VFC. So I recommend that one. My only gripe with the VFC 417 is that it doesn't take M4 mags but if you don't care about that then you should be good to go with the 417 as well.

I currently own a VFC HK416 CQB and it is my baby. An amazing gun out of the box, VFC is known for their externals. The internals aren't amazing but their not bad. Personally the only HK416 I would ever buy would be a VFC. So I recommend that one. My only gripe with the VFC 417 is that it doesn't take M4 mags but if you don't care about that then you should be good to go with the 417 as well.

Oh many thanks axil, and some problems you have with internals or nothing yet? Like when you buy it?

Oh many thanks axil, and some problems you have with internals or nothing yet? Like when you buy it?

Guys you need to stop giving advice if you don't know what the hell you are talking about. Stop posting just to get your damn post counts up. I am seeing it all too much these days.

Coyote, how do you know the VFC 417 is a good gun, because you read it somewhere or do you have first hand knowledge? Such a good gun, eh? http://forums.airsoftmechanics.com/index.php?topic=9498.0

OP, my fourth gun I ever owned was a G&G Top Tech 416 and I had to sell it in the recent months. I am going to forever regret that decision, but hard times are all around us.

If you are not going to open it, get the G&G. Mine was literally a tank. I owned it for a couple years and the thing never failed me once. I did notice a drop of about 25 fps after a winter game one day. I'll explain why here in a second. It was about 26-28 degrees out and I was just getting back into the sport after a break due to back surgery. I thought it was just my bucking had been worn down and I was losing compression from that, so I didn't think I should have to open it up at that time. It wasn't till about a few months later and about 10 or so games later that I decided I would open it up to clean it, replace the gears, and what have you. I soon discover that the front of my gearbox is completely broke apart from the rest of the gearbox shell. It amazes me that this gun held up even after the front of the damn gearbox had cracked and broken off. To this day, I still will not acknowledge any stronger or more reliable gun stock than those ones. In the end, the gearbox cracked, because I used it in one too many winter games. I have now learned from that and do not play airsoft if it ends up getting below a certain temperature.

Loveyuri, I still got about 80% of resale for my G&G Top Tech 416, so tell me again why VFC has a higher resale value? I owned that thing for close to three years.

OP, now if you plan on opening up the gun, your best choice would be VFC. I would personally replace the gears, piston/head, and motor. Also make sure you tune it and toss in a tight bore barrel. You will be good to go.

I like the VFC 417, it was given to me as a loan for a while by a friend when I was first starting out. That gun was really nice, I didn't have any problems for the 3 months I used it. And if I stay with something for 3 months without getting bored of it, that's good. I tend to switch around my guns a lot.

I like the VFC 417, it was given to me as a loan for a while by a friend when I was first starting out. That gun was really nice, I didn't have any problems for the 3 months I used it. And if I stay with something for 3 months without getting bored of it, that's good. I tend to switch around my guns a lot.

Thanks very much Coyote, MMM I think will go with the VFC, the only bad things I have heard is piston, gears, and I think they will last from what I read in reviews 3-5 months or maybe more if I don´t get a lemon, lol, but I think that changes (piston, gears) are easy, so no problem, Like I told, I don´t like other models, I only like the 416/417 so, in a future I could buy the G&G for cqb, (because of the velocity)

Thanks again!!

Guys you need to stop giving advice if you don't know what the hell you are talking about. Stop posting just to get your damn post counts up. I am seeing it all too much these days.

Coyote, how do you know the VFC 417 is a good gun, because you read it somewhere or do you have first hand knowledge? Such a good gun, eh? http://forums.airsoftmechanics.com/index.php?topic=9498.0

OP, my fourth gun I ever owned was a G&G Top Tech 416 and I had to sell it in the recent months. I am going to forever regret that decision, but hard times are all around us.

If you are not going to open it, get the G&G. Mine was literally a tank. I owned it for a couple years and the thing never failed me once. I did notice a drop of about 25 fps after a winter game one day. I'll explain why here in a second. It was about 26-28 degrees out and I was just getting back into the sport after a break due to back surgery. I thought it was just my bucking had been worn down and I was losing compression from that, so I didn't think I should have to open it up at that time. It wasn't till about a few months later and about 10 or so games later that I decided I would open it up to clean it, replace the gears, and what have you. I soon discover that the front of my gearbox is completely broke apart from the rest of the gearbox shell. It amazes me that this gun held up even after the front of the damn gearbox had cracked and broken off. To this day, I still will not acknowledge any stronger or more reliable gun stock than those ones. In the end, the gearbox cracked, because I used it in one too many winter games. I have now learned from that and do not play airsoft if it ends up getting below a certain temperature.

Loveyuri, I still got about 80% of resale for my G&G Top Tech 416, so tell me again why VFC has a higher resale value? I owned that thing for close to three years.

OP, now if you plan on opening up the gun, your best choice would be VFC. I would personally replace the gears, piston/head, and motor. Also make sure you tune it and toss in a tight bore barrel. You will be good to go.

Bossman thanks for your reply!! I have a question, the change of piston, gears, etc, is difficult? or with a video in youtube I can do it?.

I have an experience with Air Rifles (Pellet guns).. I was new to air rifles, and I dry-fired my Diana 48 (awesome rifle, but some expensive) so the rifle loss power. I tought it was hour to open it and change everything. I was thinking it would be very difficult, but nah, it was very very easy.

So do you think changing piston, spring, gears, would be difficult?

How many time it will survive the stock pieces? (piston and gears)

Thanks and I really appreciate your answer!! greetings from Sonora!!

Guest alberty

I disagree with the claim that that makes it a tank of a gun. The fact that the gearbox shell cracked is already a bad thing in itself. It was still working since it was being held together by still being in the body. I recently own a G&G blowback M4 variant, so it's the same gearbox as in your T4-18, and my shell cracked at the front as well. I also didn't realize it was cracked until opening the gun one day. The main cause of the crack is that since the piston head o-ring from factory is too small, the piston is just slamming forward every shot due to lack of good compression, and so it's stressing the gearbox shell harder than it should be. The material used in the gearbox shell is nice and lightweight but because of that it's prone to breaking easily. For the conditions, I was not playing outdoor games in winter-cold temperatures, I only used it at an indoor CQB arena.

Did you get 80% of resale with that exact G&G in the story of yours? That seems very high considering a cracked gearbox shell. If so, I'd say you just got lucky then.

VFC usually gets a good resale value because of the external quality and the decent internals to start with. G&G M4 AEGs are very common on the market so they don't carry as high of a resale value. In your case specifically you had a decent full-metal 416 type replica, not counting any broken gearbox shell, making it less common and therefore a little more valuable to some buyers.

Hm, if you get a VFC and immediately replace that many parts, it sounds like you might want to just go for a different gun instead. That's a lot of main parts you're suggesting to replace.

Bossman thanks for your reply!! I have a question, the change of piston, gears, etc, is difficult? or with a video in youtube I can do it?.

I have an experience with Air Rifles (Pellet guns).. I was new to air rifles, and I dry-fired my Diana 48 (awesome rifle, but some expensive) so the rifle loss power. I tought it was hour to open it and change everything. I was thinking it would be very difficult, but nah, it was very very easy.

So do you think changing piston, spring, gears, would be difficult?

How many time it will survive the stock pieces? (piston and gears)

If you have never taken apart a gearbox before, it is very complicated. Before you touch any internal pieces, look at videos and articles online that teach you the proper work for AEGs. Learn about how to take it apart and put it together before touching anything. It's a whole mechanical box with gears and things, it's not like the internals of a spring-cocking gun.

If you buy a decent brand, you don't usually need change parts immediately or quickly, unless you are experienced with AEGs and want to make your own changes immediately because you know which parts you like and which parts you don't like.

Edited by alberty

I disagree with the claim that that makes it a tank of a gun. The fact that the gearbox shell cracked is already a bad thing in itself. It was still working since it was being held together by still being in the body. I recently own a G&G blowback M4 variant, so it's the same gearbox as in your T4-18, and my shell cracked at the front as well. I also didn't realize it was cracked until opening the gun one day. The main cause of the crack is that since the piston head o-ring from factory is too small, the piston is just slamming forward every shot due to lack of good compression, and so it's stressing the gearbox shell harder than it should be. The material used in the gearbox shell is nice and lightweight but because of that it's prone to breaking easily. For the conditions, I was not playing outdoor games in winter-cold temperatures, I only used it at an indoor CQB arena.

Did you get 80% of resale with that exact G&G in the story of yours? That seems very high considering a cracked gearbox shell. If so, I'd say you just got lucky then.

VFC usually gets a good resale value because of the external quality and the decent internals to start with. G&G M4 AEGs are very common on the market so they don't carry as high of a resale value. In your case specifically you had a decent full-metal 416 type replica, not counting any broken gearbox shell, making it less common and therefore a little more valuable to some buyers.

Hm, if you get a VFC and immediately replace that many parts, it sounds like you might want to just go for a different gun instead. That's a lot of main parts you're suggesting to replace.

If you have never taken apart a gearbox before, it is very complicated. Before you touch any internal pieces, look at videos and articles online that teach you the proper work for AEGs. Learn about how to take it apart and put it together before touching anything. It's a whole mechanical box with gears and things, it's not like the internals of a spring-cocking gun.

If you buy a decent brand, you don't usually need change parts immediately or quickly, unless you are experienced with AEGs and want to make your own changes immediately because you know which parts you like and which parts you don't like.

Come on man... You really think I woulld sell a gun like that and shaft some poor soul on here? No, I was lucky enough to order a first generation Top Tech gearbox shell from G&G directly since the local shop I used to work for deals with them weekly. So, in a sense, your gearbox and my previous gearbox are different.

Mine only cracked because of the colder temperatures. I used that thing as my primary for quite some time and never encountered a single issue besides that one.

Yes, I only suggested swapping those parts for longevity. You do not need to replace the motor, but I would personally.

You buy a VFC for it's externals, not the interals. Same goes for G&P. Yes, I would replace those crappy self-shimming gears in a heartbeat. The pistons are fragile as can be and I have seen the pickup tooth strip after minimal rounds. The piston head is aluminum and maybe it is my personal opinion, but I do not like aluminum piston heads all that much. They wear down your sorbo pad quicker and are heavier than other piston heads on the market.

OP, alberty is right. A gearbox is a whole new world to those that have never been inside one or even looked at one for that matter. My suggestion, if you want to start working on gearboxes, is to buy a broken one from a seller and learn that way. Some are fairly cheap. It really all depends on who you get it from. At least then you won't risk damaging your own gun that you are going to need for the week's upcoming game.

If you cannot do it yourself, independant techs don't charge that much for work like that. Now, if you take it to a retail shop or something along those lines, you will most likely have to overpay. I know I ony charge $35-$40 for work like that. That covers reshimming, correcting, AOE, compression mods, DIY mods, ect... Some techs charge more and others charge less. In the end though, don't try to jump into something you are completely unfamiliar with.

Guest alberty
No, I was lucky enough to order a first generation Top Tech gearbox shell from G&G directly since the local shop I used to work for deals with them weekly. So, in a sense, your gearbox and my previous gearbox are different.

Hm, what makes those shells different than in the production blowback M4s? I, and I guess assuming so I apologize, said that the gearboxes we had were pretty much the same because when I looked up videos and reviews for the G&G T4-18 internals, the gearbox looked pretty much the same--pneumatic blowback assembly, 8mm copper bushings, that finish on the gearbox shell, etc...I am unaware if any G&G AEGs have more reinforced gearbox shells when you go to the more expensive models.

From this video alone, I can see the piston is different but not sure what else looks different as compared to the gearbox I had in my G&G blowback M4:

I would still however say that a cracked gearbox still working while inside of the body isn't an indicator of a gun's solid performance, just sort of like luck that it didn't lead to a catastrophic failure while still inside of the gun. A proper receiver fit should mean no movement of the gearbox, so in theory if it cracks but the receiver still holds it, then only the FPS drop and possible noise would be noticeable from outside.

Edited by alberty

Hm, what makes those shells different than in the production blowback M4s? I, and I guess assuming so I apologize, said that the gearboxes we had were pretty much the same because when I looked up videos and reviews for the G&G T4-18 internals, the gearbox looked pretty much the same--pneumatic blowback assembly, 8mm copper bushings, that finish on the gearbox shell, etc...I am unaware if any G&G AEGs have more reinforced gearbox shells when you go to the more expensive models.

EDIT: That was posted in 2012. The first gens, if my knowledge serves me correctly, were manufactured in the 2008-2009 time frame.

No, I would assume the same. It was the first gen though, so it was built better IMO. Such as, it came with a bearing spring guide, 8mm bearings, and some other parts that separated it from the rest of the bunch, just can't remember them right off the bat.

I liked that gun so much that I didn't even uprade any parts in it for almost 2 years. I replaced the motor with a neodymium one I had lying around and tuned it after about a years use. Nothing else was really needed, for it to last that is.

Edited by BOSSMAN

Guys, you make me more questions!

Now to the point (To the gun)

What gun will be better in the present generation? INTERNALS, again!

So review of the topic:

VFC 417 (PRESENT GENERATION) internals are not good, I will need to replace.

G&G TR4-18 internals? (PRESENT GENERATION)

Again, the point, what gun will be better to buy for a begginer to not changing nothing?

Only answer what gun, like a poll, pleaseeee

Thanks for answering!!

Srry about if I question too much, but really guys that concers me, about the problems of both guns,