Sign in to follow this  
berkie

TM M4 upgrade plan

A guy I know has wrecked his gearbox recently. The guy had a TM M4 and he wanted to run it on 11V LiPo's so he went to some shop and had it checked. He had to pay 58 euro's just to have them have a look-see and he payed 26 euro's just to put in new wires. According to the shop owner the gun was now 'LiPo Ready' but he recommended shooting only single shot with those batteries.

A half hour into the game he heard a weird sound coming from his gun, so he went to the safety and asked a marshall. Apparently his motor got loose ( ?? This happens ?? I've handled some V2's but in-game I'm an AK guy. ) and the marshall screwed it back up again. 15 minutes later, his GB sounds like a drill so he goes back to the safety and the marshall screws open the GB. Apparently his gears were stripped.

So the marshall sold him a spare G&G V2 gearbox he had lying around with 8mm steel bushings. I don't mind that, I can work with a 8mm, but the box has some things missing.

So after his very short skirmish he calls the guy that made his gun 'lipo ready' and tells his story. Mr. Mechanic doesn't believe he shot single-shot only that day and thinks he did a pretty good job. Then he asked him for the second time how much it would cost to make that gun LiPo ready, and the answer is 300 to 400 euro's.

He spent 125 euro's on that gun already, just for that look-see, new wires and the G&G V2 gearbox. 300 to 400 euro's on top of that...

now add in the fact that this story takes place in The Netherlands, where Airsoft is regulated as of March 2013. Only licenced arms dealers can sell and repair these guns for a living, but those guys have pretty much zero experience with airsoft mechanics, and they demand the jackpot for their services. A guy like me who takes his guns apart and mods them would have a lot more experience than these guys, is what I thought.

I want to help that guy. He's been screwed over bigtime by that shop owner if his story's true, so I made the offer to help him out. He could send the gun to me, and I'd make it work for him free of charge. He only has to pay for the materials and shipping fees.

I want to cut costs wherever I can, so whatever I can leave stock I will

The materials I have listed are:

Gearbox: G&G V2 w/ 8mm steel bushings

motor: stock motor if the pinion is still in working condition, else a budget High Torque motor.

gears: - Guarder 16:1 gears

- SHS 13:1 / 16:1 gears

- ACM 18:1 / 13:1 gears

The gears are one thing I am unsure about. Siegetek gears are not an option due to budget reasons, and I've heard some horror stories about SHS that makes me want to drop those alltogether. I want these gears to last a long while, so I talked him away from 13:1 gears and towards 16:1 gears instead, if he likes the high speed setups. Due to FPS restrictions over here, we are only allowed to shoot with 1,2J (360 FPS with 0,20 grams) max. Which gears would you recommend that could last a long while.

Piston: Lonex Blue M150. Due to our FPS regulations we only shoot with M100 to M110 springs max. This piston should be able to hold that kind of stress and ROF I believe. If not, please say so and I'll make it a Lonex Red M170

Piston Head: Lonex POM ventilation

Spring Guide: Element V2 ball bearing full metal guide

Tappet plate: Lonex V2 tappet plate. Due to the high ROF, I suggested that he would swap out tappet plates for a reinforced one

air nozzle: Lonex M4a1 nozzle

mods I will do for him

- Shimming from bevel to sector

- Fixing the AoE with Sorbo

- relubing the gearbox

- installing a IRLB3034 mosfet

- rewiring gun and batteries to Deans

Since this is not my gun, but someone else's gun who has had a unlucky streak with it, I want to make sure that this build will last. I don't mind making mistakes with my own guns, but with his, especially his, I want to make it last. The guy is adamant about his 11,1Vs so I tried slowing it down with a High Torque motor and ditching the 13:1 gears for 16:1's. I don't want to deal with shortstroking unless I have to.

anyway, all advice, pointers, etc. is greatly appreciated.

I can only speculate about why the gearbox failed and his gears got stripped in such short a time, but it should probably be shoddy work by the mechanic that had a look-see. TM gearboxes don't strip in such a short time is what I believe. The loose motor rang some warning bells too, but I cannot be sure. The guy tossed his broken gearbox away (WHY!) and he cannot send me any photos of the aftermath.

I will receive his gun next week, and I can take a good long look at the motor. If there are tamiya connectors and no mosfet in that gun... I don't know what I'd do but that is definitely NOT lipo ready.

If you can, go get some lonex gears. Shs are a hit or miss and I have no clue about ACM gears.

There's a lot of high torques, there's lonex orange for $45-50 USD.

You should make it into deans and not tamiya plugs.

Also, how much are you willing to spend?

There's a lonex dropin gearbox for $150-200... Add a mosfet/deans($20-30). And you're pretty much set.

If you can, go get some lonex gears. Shs are a hit or miss and I have no clue about ACM gears.

There's a lot of high torques, there's lonex orange for $45-50 USD.

You should make it into deans and not tamiya plugs.

Also, how much are you willing to spend?

There's a lonex dropin gearbox for $150-200... Add a mosfet/deans($20-30). And you're pretty much set.

As I've said, I expect the gun to come in with Tamiya's while it's been made 'LiPo Ready'. I will solder them to Deans instead.

as for gears, I dislike the SHS for their hit and miss and the ACMs are cheap, perhaps for a reason.

I can get my hands on a Lonex gearset, but that would take a nother 2/3 weeks before they are shipped.

I don't need the lonex drop in. I have half a gearbox that's as good as new and I can make do with pretty much everything lonex aside from gears.