to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
UGGINATOR

Modify Baton Ryusoku

I dearly hope you're not referring to this steel pin:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusi....jpg?1362150410

What on earth that pin is going to do to stabilize your hop I don't know. It is however going to prevent it from acting as a "soft" nub, not that it behaves terribly soft already, and thats not a wonderful thing. I've never heard a hypothesized mechanism for that, but it looks at best vestigial to me. Its certainly not going to stabilize the hop laterally, left and right, as it'd have to be fitted to each chamber individually to accomplish that.

I've had it without the pin and the accuracy is terrible.

Fascinating. I've not extensively used the Firefly, but when I have I never needed the pin. I wonder what on earth the mechanism for that could be. The center holes on most nubs is to allow a solid cast rubber to deform as the bb passes. I was never entirely sure why Firefly included it, because while the pin certainly doesn't help with deformation, the sticking points would presumably be the tips of the U on the hop arm as that likely won't allow much deformation as the bb passes. Clearly Prometheus hasn't experienced this issue in their testing, so this is rather perplexing.

Has anyone else experienced this need for a pin in their nub? If so, what is the issue with the performance/in what respect does it improve it?

Also any more details about your setup which needed it?

Edited by hunterseeker5

Well without the pin the hole collapses from the pressure of hop applied which deforms or moves the nub. 4 people on my team have it, 3 with pstars and one aeg. I wonder if you're using it with the rhop or a shaved bucking, the rhop I imagine it wouldn't make a difference but the flexibility of a bucking it would. Also, pstars are shooting 400 with .20s and using .40 madbulls. Aeg same fps using .30

Bb weight could also contribute to whether you need the bar or not.

We had initially bought the firefly one and lost the pin and had decent results so thought it was fine. Next guy bought it and had the pun installed and had better results. Pin was ordered and installed in first gun and sure enough performance improved. Full auto groupings were tighter, range and accuracy also improved. I know this is all talk without substantial data other than what we saw and targets. But it's the best I can do.

The interesting thing is, the hole is there because its SUPPOSED to deform as the bb passes accounting for bb diameter inconsistencies. Otherwise why not simply fill in the space (easier casting) and up the duro? Seems like a simple solution. *shrug* IDK I've not seen any of this, so now I'm just spitballing. Its been so long since I've seriously experimented with the flat hop. I played with the concept predominantly before it was even called the flat hop, and quickly moved from that into hand shaped mounds which lasted longer, primarily because they're slightly thicker and there is less bucking stress, before finally making the leap to the R-hop which (little known fact) started life as an integral bucking concept before that was discarded for a variety of reasons.