Sign in to follow this  
DarkTerror

Had no interest in Airsoft until today...

I went to the ranger surplus store and saw this full metal 1911 and really liked it.

A few days later I got it off Amazon, from what I can tell it is made by KWA (re-branded as colt? Lol) it is CO2 powered and is blowback.

I had no real interest in airsoft... After shooting the gun in my backyard I decided I'd like to get into airsoft.

I know there are different types of airsoft guns... Spring, Green gas, CO2, and Electric. Which of these is the best for going to my local arena and playing with?

I've heard horror stories of every type of gun, Green Gas ones breaking all the time... CO2 not being allowed in some places and being a pain to use... Electric "sucking".

Can somebody clear this all up for me?

Basically what I mean is, which type of gun (and brand) can I expect the best performance, least hassle, and best quality/durability from?

Thanks for helping a newbie get into this cool hobby. :)

edit: Heres the gun I have so far - http://www.amazon.com/Blowback-Airsoft-Pis...+pistol+airsoft

Edited by Dark Terror

So do you want to go and play at a field or just backyard plucking?

Spring are usually sniper rifles

Green gas are usually gbb pistol or gbb rifle.

Eletric is usually AEG.

What is your local like?

Each type has their own pros and con... Kinda hard to help without more details.

The only thing around my area is a small indoor arena type thing. I thought I'd start with that and maybe playing in the backyard before I go out and get a bigger airsoft gun.

I watched a few vids and they've been using pistols mostly. So I'm mostly looking for a pistol.

Things that matter the most to me are

1. Build quality and longevity (Strongly Prefer full metal).

2. Ease of use and maintenance.

3. Good performance.

Let me know if I can give more information to help you help me :), as I said I'm pretty new.

Edited by Dark Terror

Unless it's a Tokyo Marui 5-7,(reports of 3'' groupings at 150') most any AEG will outperform a pistol. I would definitely suggest an AEG.

Do you have a particular budget?

Do you have a particular gun model you like?

Some AEGs between 100-150 dollars are very decent, I suggest you get one of those and try playing at your local field. Jeans + a jacket newbie style ;)

You'll have a heck of alot more fun than you think.

Running pistols is harder than you might think. You have to deal with being outranged, usually outgunned, and almost always laughed at until you get a kill.

Getting an AEG would be much better for starting. Like said, most ~$150 guns are pretty good beginner guns. Some are actually very good and last a while, while others are pretty crappy.

And if it's indoor, it probably has a lower FPS limit, so you'll have to make sure that you stay within their limit.

Guest alberty
I went to the ranger surplus store and saw this full metal 1911 and really liked it.

A few days later I got it off Amazon, from what I can tell it is made by KWA (re-branded as colt? Lol) it is CO2 powered and is blowback.

That's not a KWA rebrand, that is a KWC or KJW rebrand, retailing less than $120-150 online. Unfortunately, Ranger Surplus' selection is overpriced because the distributors they're getting from jack up the prices and then Ranger Surplus follows suit. Either that or Ranger Surplus is looking for a real high profit from it.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The thing is, I don't have a local field around here for airsoft.. We BARELY have paintball fields, the only thing I was able to find was a indoor arena... And I think if I ran pistols there it wouldn't be too bad.

I would get an AEG, but first I want to know if I can actually use it anywhere or not.. And I wouldn't want to go with the beginner stuff, I'd go straight for the top notch gear. (This saves $ in the long run).

As for price, I wouldn't mind buying the best pistols out there if they are worth it. Gun model? I really like the 1911, however I don't like some of the models they have that are too "busy" looking.

Is this the gun you were talking about? http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airs..._Five_seveN.htm

What is so special about it? Can I find a 1911 similar to this?

The 5-7 is a boss gun, it takes green gas very well and the accuracy is superb. Mags are like $50 though...

You could get a Tokyo Marui 1911, what style of 1911's do you prefer?

I'd like a full metal gun...

Would a picture help?

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/origin...ardballer_1.jpg

Thank you.

Imo, if you want a full metal gun, get the kwa 1911.

TM has the best performance no doubt about it but the only turn off is the plastic slides that many people dislike. However, many people just upgrade the slide with guarder,Shooter design, or PGC which are usually ($70-100 extra for a metal slide+outer barrel).

Are you in it for the metal part or do you want it to be metal + realistic?

If you are really, really set on getting a pistol, get one. Otherwise I, and I am sure most other on here, would recommend an aeg. Yes you will be able to use an aeg at your indoor arena. Just make sure you get one under 350fps. The thing is, no matter the pistol you get you cant guarantee an accurate shot every time due to the ammo you're shooting. With an AEG you don't have to worry about it as much because of full auto. You say you don't want to buy a "cheap" aeg because its a waste? NOOO. There are alot of models at the $100-$200 range that will be great and then you can buy the internals to make them "top notch". Also no matter what aeg you buy you will have to upgrade some things to achieve maximum performance.

I'll second getting an AEG. I have both pistol and rifle and I can tell you that the rifle is 100% better. The mags are bigger, allowing you to run around without changing so much, the battery in an AEG will be less expensive over time than purchasing gas, and the range in a rifle will be stupidly far compared to most pistols...

When I first started I bought a G&G Combat Machine. They now sell versions with crane stocks for 139.00 and it will put you right where you want to be in the game. Over time you'll be able upgrade (although I'd leave everything except barrel/hopup stock until something breaks..) and you can even purchase full metal bodies from sites or even second hand from other players and everything in the CM should fit right in. They sell full metal versions of Combat Machine's too, check out the "Raider' series on Evike.com.

Alright then, what brands can I look at for top notch AEGs that are fully metal and as realistic as possible?

Are TM AEGs plastic like their guns too?

How about Systema? I've heard mixed things about them.... Are they worth the dough?

Oh and whats the deal with everybody always getting M4 / M16 style guns? Is it just a popular choice or do they perform better than the others?

Edited by Dark Terror

Kwa if you don't want to mess with the internals. VFC and G&P are good too.

ALL Tm are plastic.

Systema are ok. Some like it, some don't. Very expensive imo.

M4/m16 have the most accessories that can fit on it. It's just a popular choice and usually m4s are cheaper than the other models. 416, scar, etc... are ALL the same internally but people like the looks. They all use ver 2 gearbox so it doesn't really what style you get cause it's going to perform the same.

Kwa if you don't want to mess with the internals. VFC and G&P are good too.

That's what TM is for :)

ALL Tm are plastic.

No, their recoil shock models have metal externals.

Systema are ok. Some like it, some don't. Very expensive imo.

$1200+ for a gun that can be built for, say $250? Avoid like the plague imo.

So you guys recon if I invest in a KWA AEG... I wouldn't really need or find anything better?

Also I noticed they only have M4 model guns? What other options are there out there that are on par with KWA but have other types of weapons?

Thanks alot everybody :lol:

Edited by Dark Terror

You have to consider that if the weapon you want (p90 and aug) in RS isn't full metal, the likelyness of it being full metal in airsoft is very slim.

And not all well made guns are only m4s. If you want something unqiue, there is usually a model of it at a higher price than what you could just buy a M4.

Also, you really should start researching these stuff yourself and not get spoon fed.

You're asking one after the other and it's coming from the left and right.

You should REALLY have a gun in mind that you want before coming back here to post another question. It's really hard to help someone that's going ALL over the place.

Edited by Loveyuri

Go to an airsoft store or a field and look, touch and hold. Then come back to us for an honest opinion and not a marketing opinion.

KWA M1911 have a design flaw. If you dry fire it without a mag, you can wear down the firing pin to a point where it can pop-out if you hold the tip up with the hammer down.

Well, anyways I am returning the 1911 I bought for a refund probably. I found a few problems with it.. The slide is scratching some of the metal while you shoot it and you can see through the gap between the gun and the slide when you look at it sideways. Kinda silly for a 150 dollar gun.

I'm wondering whether I want to get a pistol or an AEG to start out with now.

And for all the people telling me to go to an airsoft store instead of asking online, the way I heard it is the one nearest to me that would have a good supply is a kinda long drive, so I would if I had the time currently.

Hmmm...... I would do something a bit different than suggested. Get an AEG AND a pistol. Get, say, a G&P rifle, and then a KJW pistol, and you're good to go either way. And you can choose which you find better.

Guest alberty
Well, anyways I am returning the 1911 I bought for a refund probably. I found a few problems with it.. The slide is scratching some of the metal while you shoot it and you can see through the gap between the gun and the slide when you look at it sideways. Kinda silly for a 150 dollar gun.

I think there's friction between the slide and frame no matter what. It's metal against metal contact. If anything, lubricating the gun or any other GBB pistol in general would help to smooth the cycling and extend the time before wear. A small gap you're describing is normal I believe, I don't think there's some design flaw.

Be careful, I'm not 100% sure if you can return it now.

I think there's friction between the slide and frame no matter what. It's metal against metal contact. If anything, lubricating the gun or any other GBB pistol in general would help to smooth the cycling and extend the time before wear. A small gap you're describing is normal I believe, I don't think there's some design flaw.

Be careful, I'm not 100% sure if you can return it now.

Yeah, I will tell them what I found wrong with it before I do.

But the gun was perfectly lubed up and it still made a big scratch in the metal. I've shot about... maybe less than 40 rounds through it. I don't really think there is an excuse for that.

Guest alberty
I've heard really good things about VFC, my budget is <2000 dollars.

VFC only does AR and SCAR type guns though right?

No, VFC has had several other models. I think just their M4s and SCARs are just the most popular. Off the top of my head I know they've made some:

- AK variants

- PDW

- UMP (gas, heard it's bad too)

- MP5 (gas, heard it was bad)

- M1918 BAR (discontinued? super expensive)

- XCR (good metal version, not the Echo 1/JG cheaper plastic version)

VFC's AK style body is one of the common standards for clone AKs now (CYMA, DBoys, and some JGs), and the PDW is a popular unique design that has been cloned by DBoys and JM.

Okay. Then I highly recommend the Umarex H&K416 CQB by VFC. I love the gun, the externals are amazing. I tend to be a little harsh on my guns. I've only had it for two weeks and have already dropped it at least 5 times. Plus, when training with my team, we had to reenact what we would do if we located a sniper, and our point dropped to the ground and so did we, and as we did he ended up kicking my gun directly in the center. Not even a scratch or bend. It feels like a real-steel AR and it shoots like any other extremely high quality gun would, being able to accurately hit human sized targets easily at >50 yards. It's full metal so it won't break. Plus, with the typical AR platform, it is easily upgradeable with higher end parts like a more precision barrel plus an upgraded motor, etc. The gun is purely beautiful.

Guest alberty
It's full metal so it won't break.

You don't want to use that absolute statement there. Full metal is not a guarantee that the gun cannot break in some way. If not break, you could instead get something warping or bending as another type of damage.

Otherwise it's still a fine option for something that's an M4 variant, I agree.

You don't want to use that absolute statement there. Full metal is not a guarantee that the gun cannot break in some way.

Agreed. Sometimes, metal guns break before polymer guns. My G36 has the flexibility of plastic, and has surpassed some cheaper metal guns AND the metal on G&G's lower end M4s strength wise.