Lol did you just copy and paste your own exact thread from ASM onto here? The answers here are the same as on ASM: airsoft BBs do not shoot 300 yards accurately and can't even penetrate leaves past 150 feet, so more shots are required to hit a target. A higher ROF will allow you to reach this necessary number of shots faster.

Lol did you just copy and paste your own exact thread from ASM onto here? The answers here are the same as on ASM: airsoft BBs do not shoot 300 yards accurately and can't even penetrate leaves past 150 feet, so more shots are required to hit a target. A higher ROF will allow you to reach this necessary number of shots faster.

Agreed. The first BBs break though any minor obstacles (leaves, small branches, bugs, zombies). The following ones hit the intended target (hopefully). I have also seen how much I am off/hop up adjustment, by watching a trail of BB's leave my barrel. Tryin to compare airsoft to a real steel is impractical. :a-laugh: Well I hope we have answered your question.

EngelMacher: "I remember when this guy at Warped Ops saw my DSG and said, "Heh, it only takes me one shot to get someone out, that's just stupid." So by that logic, I can get 65 people out in under one second?"

I'm guilty as charged. Airsoft is my latest shooting sport obsession and I love it. Still sorting out the different forums and who knows facts vs. the 10 year old kids who think they do.

Lou

Edited by Lammy1000

And there's always the laser strategy, that is, having it fire so fast that no matter where you point it, something will hit, given that it's in range. It's good for close range shooting. Or a backup for a sniper, one of the guys at my field uses a gun like that for when going close up while he has his sniper rifle.

On a semi-auto only rifle it makes for great trigger response and reset time. On select-fire weapons, personally I like to keep within realistic fire rates. Some games however, like milsim will dictate what rate and how much ammo you should be carrying depending on your role for the sake of realism.

Guest alberty
Real metal m4's shoot 700-900 rounds per minute or 9 to 15 RPS. Why do you guys want to achieve a ridiculous and toy-like 25+ RPS?

I like to use a high rate of fire for the fun factor. When the games allow it (e.g. not a semi-only rule), it's fun to light up people with a spray of BBs. You know how like shooting a long burst of full-auto fire on a real firearm at a range can be fun? I would say this would be like that fun thing for airsoft replicas. It is excessive but at the same time these are still toys in a way.

Of course, it is no excuse to be a bad sport. If you have a high rate of fire I encourage you to use it within reason. If you have caught someone by surprise and you'll definitely get them, you don't need to hold down the trigger for more than a second considering your high ROF. It is true that it only takes one BB to get someone out, if they call it.

Sometimes the high rate of fire is nice for weeding out cheaters / making sure they call their hits, haha. It's also cool for its intimidation and "wow" factor. For some, tuning an AEG for a high rate of fire is a challenge they want to take on, a difficult project that technicians of any hobby can empathize with.

renegadecow brings up a good point in that increase your gun's rate of fire usually goes along with trigger response which is highly desired for semi-auto usage. Tuning for speed isn't just for full-auto mode.

Edited by alberty

And there's always the laser strategy, that is, having it fire so fast that no matter where you point it, something will hit, given that it's in range. It's good for close range shooting. Or a backup for a sniper, one of the guys at my field uses a gun like that for when going close up while he has his sniper rifle.

Pretty sure that's called "spray and pray" not laser.....

Guest alberty

Pretty sure that's called "spray and pray" not laser.....

Yeah, if you are using a "line" of BBs to try and hit something, you're going for volume of fire in hopes that it hits something as opposed to good aiming (assuming your BBs went where you aimed). If anything, I feel that is better suited for long range in which distance and other factors affect where your BBs ultimately land, so you'll need to put out more to compensate. If you are engaging in close distances, then it's not really needed--if you need 30 rps to hit something 30 feet away then you're not doing so well.

Edited by alberty

Yeah, if you are using a "line" of BBs to try and hit something, you're going for volume of fire in hopes that it hits something as opposed to good aiming (assuming your BBs went where you aimed). If anything, I feel that is better suited for long range in which distance and other factors affect where your BBs ultimately land, so you'll need to put out more to compensate. If you are engaging in close distances, then it's not really needed--if you need 30 rps to hit something 30 feet away then you're not doing so well.

If you use a bad barrel and low quality bb's, you get the shotgun effect; ita great in CQB as you can point and shoot with ease.

25rps is ridiculous? So what is 40-45rps?

Why do I run it that fast? Because I can. Because cheaters cheat and I want to make them regret it. Because its fun. Because it increases my likelihood of getting a hit.

And lastly, because I am an attentionwhore. Whenever I flip to full auto on my field, heads snap my way and stare.

^

Since you asked nicely and everyone's just responded to "why to":

I personally keep my select-fire guns within the same range of rate of fire as their real world counterpart because of realism. I don't like the thought of using an AK that feels, looks and smells like an AK (even taste like one) but the moment you fire it it's magically an MG42 on cocaine. Even worse an M4 that when fired puts Laser Tag to shame. Being mechanically inclined and a firearms enthusiast I know that the real weapons are incapable of sustaining such rates without melting the barrel right off the gun or at least ruin it entirely under a minute and make you shoot nothing but keyholes the rest of the day. Sure, they fire bbs and more bbs can mean increasing the chances of making a hit, but I don't want to lean on it like a crutch because I know for a fact that I can make do with far, far less. The six guns in my sig aren't for decoration; I actually use those as primary and secondary (and sometimes my chrome piece as tertiary) in regular Sunday games against people with AEGs (and high rof AEGs). Gives the people I kill with it an eye opener and a favor really in making them realize it's not about how many your mags hold or how fast your gun can dish out bbs. If you can't shoot for :pain: and/or have the tactics of a potato someone else is gonna shoot you dead and all it takes is one bb.

Edited by renegadecow

higher RoF is better than low RoF.

if the military could have assault rifles that fired as fast as miniguns without the negatives associated with it like melting barrel and insane recoil, they would.

airsoft suffers from ballistic performance. it makes up for insane RoF.

So what I'm reading in these replies is; "To compensate for my inadequacies elsewhere."

Sigh, this cliche again... Why is it that whenever someone gets a fast car, a high rof airsoft gun, you name it, the only logical reason is because they are compensating for something. Have you considered the possibility that some of us run a high rof simply because it's more fun, and because we enjoy the technical challenge of building a reliable high speed AEG? It's also damn good advertising if you do paid tech work hehe.

Guest alberty
So what I'm reading in these replies is; "To compensate for my inadequacies elsewhere."

I know I only need one shot to get someone out, but when allowed it's fun to light up someone with a hail of BBs (within reason). If all but one miss, then that's a different issue.