to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
Roxa

~Looking for a M4

Looking for a first gun, here's some information I hope can help.

- Looking for an M4 Series weapon, prefer full size

- Full metal body (Nylon Grips are okay)

- Want a RIS system on it

- Budget on gun alone ~400

- Prefer a lot of aftermarket support, I like to tinker/upgrade as I get more comfortable

- Reliability (I understand things break, but I don't want to fix something after every use just for a bit of extra power)

- I'm not looking for anything super authentic, so engravings/laser etches aren't required.

- I'll be doing mostly field play

- Will want to add attatchments (RIS system)

I started off fixing computers (hardware issues) and I also work on sports cars as a hobby, so I'm not new to soldering/taking apart small electronics and putting them back together, I have a healthy set of precision tools as well. I'm honestly unsure about what role I'd be wanting to play in the field. I used to play airsoft when I was much younger (I'm 25 now) with the off the shelf knockoff guns from wal-mart but wanted to pick up a more serious hobby as of late. Playing computer games and playing with cars gets old after a while. My budget to buy gear at the time of sale is limited, but a couple weeks after I should be able to shell out an extra couple hundred on chargers/mags/ect. And the same goes for the paycheck after that.

Thank you in advance for the help - I've looked through a couple websites (Redwolf/megastore) but I found myself not knowing enough information about the guns that I was looking at based on their description. If you need anymore information please ask.

EDIT: I can't decide between these two guns.

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?manu...oducts_id=41241

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPat...oducts_id=42403

So would something like this be good to pick up? Under budget (Not complaining actually) just wondering if there's more options, I looked through the CA/ICS versions and I couldn't really find one with a rail system and the stock that I liked.

Edited by Roxa

king arms colt m4a1 full metal (ka-ag-20). Excelent externals with metal lower & upper for a very good price so you'll have plenty left to buy a ris system. Working bolt catch and metal hop up with zero drift (nylon version has neither). Has engraved markings so they don't wear off. 100% tm compatible, unlike G&G or ics. stock shoots 21rps on 11.1 15c. Power is kinda limited OOB (sub 350) but that'a nothing to worry about if you're planing to upgrade as you'll be left with loads of money left. Can easily shoot 400+ with a bit of compression work and ported cylinder without replacing the spring. Do consider this gun as well.

edit. There's also a RIS version which is identical internally but has pre-installed RIS. Look for KA-AG-99.

Edited by Juzh

king arms colt m4a1 full metal (ka-ag-20). Excelent externals with metal lower & upper for a very good price so you'll have plenty left to buy a ris system. Working bolt catch and metal hop up with zero drift (nylon version has neither). Has engraved markings so they don't wear off. 100% tm compatible, unlike G&G or ics. stock shoots 21rps on 11.1 15c. Power is kinda limited OOB (sub 350) but that'a nothing to worry about if you're planing to upgrade as you'll be left with loads of money left. Can easily shoot 400+ with a bit of compression work and ported cylinder without replacing the spring. Do consider this gun as well.

edit. There's also a RIS version which is identical internally but has pre-installed RIS. Look for KA-AG-99.

Not a real good option considering your budget and here is why:

Zero drift? Any AEG hop-up that is centered will have "zero drift". If your shooting .20g in a 30MPH cross wind...you "Will have" drift.

21rps on a 11.1V lipo? That is either a really bad lipo or the AEG is not so good. I think its both. Mediocre motor and a Mediocre battery. A G&P will hit 25rps on a good 9.6V 2/3A pack.

350fps is nothing to sneeze at. You can hit targets easily with 350fps just as easy as 400fps.

With that in mind...the G&P you linked is a "budget" model. Get a real G&P for about 50.00 more...like this:

GP-AEG009BK-1L.jpg

400fps out of the box...and a good starter AEG. I have one that was "demo'd" at a Police Explorer Convention - 350.00 shipped.

While I will not argue that G&P is surely a better gun OOB, I can dispute pretty much all your claims regarding KA.

Zero drift? Any AEG hop-up that is centered will have "zero drift". If your shooting .20g in a 30MPH cross wind...you "Will have" drift.

I've seen new guns having hop up drift OOB. I know it's not common but still good to know imo.

21rps on a 11.1V lipo? That is either a really bad lipo or the AEG is not so good. I think its both. Mediocre motor and a Mediocre battery. A G&P will hit 25rps on a good 9.6V 2/3A pack.

Its a cheap 15c battery, nothing to hold your breath for. A good 20c one with deans will push 25+ easily. Stock gears are 18:1 on KA and 16:1 on G&P so that also makes a difference. Correct me if I'm wrong. Motor might indeed not be the best there is, but it does the job and does not heat up if you're not dumping hi-caps.

350fps is nothing to sneeze at. You can hit targets easily with 350fps just as easy as 400fps.

True, some people do like higher power nontheless. Irrelevant if your upgrading anyway, so this statement holds no ground. KA can be brought up to 400+ for less than 20$.

Last but not least, G&P is 100$+ more expensive, which is a lot of money that could be spent on tweaking the gun to your liking. Guess it comes down to personal preference and resources you're willing to spend.

I don't have anything against G&P and I'm simply offering an alternative to what some people already recommended.

Guest alberty
I've seen new guns having hop up drift OOB. I know it's not common but still good to know imo.

True, some people do like higher power nontheless. Irrelevant if your upgrading anyway, so this statement holds no ground. KA can be brought up to 400+ for less than 20$.

Last but not least, G&P is 100$+ more expensive, which is a lot of money that could be spent on tweaking the gun to your liking. Guess it comes down to personal preference and resources you're willing to spend.

I don't have anything against G&P and I'm simply offering an alternative to what some people already recommended.

In regards to some of those:

- I don't think out of box "drift" (or lack of) should be a selling point nor specific to KA. Like Guges Mk3 says, any AEG with the parts lined up right wouldn't be so-called "drifting", and at the worst case it could just be the nub misaligned or inner barrel rotated and is a simple fix

- Pretty much any AEG can be "brought up to 400+ for less than 20$", shouldn't be a selling point nor specific to KA

- G&P is more expensive, but part of that is external quality and different internals such as a decent G&P motor. also consider the screw-on motor connectors and that different trigger post thing which helps solve some typical V2 problems

Otherwise, a KA M4 is a nice option but with the given budget a G&P would be a nice more expensive option. And for someone new, they typically will not be changing up the gun any time soon after acquiring it, so you can start with something that feels really nice and shoots slightly faster out of the box (I think G&Ps usually come with Deans plugs and motors with decent speed?).

Edited by alberty

G&P and VFC would be your best bet.

As you said, $400 on the gun alone.

VFC and G&P will beat all the other guns. CA, KA, G&G, kwa, etc...

Their external are consider one of the best and their internal is really good too. I have 3 G&P m4 and 3 VFC(416, 417, scar) and I have to say that their external are top of the line. You get what you pay for and paying $350+ for these guns will give you something in return.

CA are getting old and no one really likes them anymore. Their performance out of the box isn't that good. G&G is just a lower performance model of the G&P. KA idk since I never own one.

Kwa, however might be the better one for "out of the box performance" but you said you wanted to "upgrade/tinker" so Vfc and G&P are the better ones. Also, their external are better anyway.

kwa is good if you don't like to mess around with their internal and they have some "unique" parts like gearbox/hop up unit which will limit you in upgrading the gun if you wanted to.

Heres the other thing you can think about. If you're on a budget and don't care about external much, go with a G&G and then upgrade the internal.