Sign in to follow this  
Killem

KWA M16: New Piston/DMR Build Help

First off, I'm picking up my M16 from Airsoft CQB on Sunday, they couldn't fix it because they don't have the parts or something. All I know is they confirmed it was a stripped piston. I'll replace it myself.

Do you all have any suggestions for pistons? I'm not really sure what to look for besides a piston that fits in a standard M4/M16 gearbox.

Secondly, my plan is to upgrade my KWA M16 to a DMR as soon as I get my new rifle up and running. I've read some articles and have some general ideas about what to do but wanted to see your ideas, especially if some of you have done your own DMR build. Mostly I'm looking at internal upgrades. The only external upgrades I'm thinking about would be to replace the iron sights, get a 2x or 4x scopes to throw on, and maybe paint it at some point.

Here's what I'm thinking about for internals:

TBB - Not sure what brand, probably a 6.03

New Hop-Up - Again, not sure the brand or type

Wiring - I've heard a lot about Mosfet though I have no idea what it is.

I know that I would like to make the rifle so that it is semi-auto/burst fire. Obviously this is an option with the selector switch but I've found that even on semi it will fire auto. I've heard that Lipo batteries correct this. Is that true? I know burst fire is tough, what would it require? Electronic trigger?

I'm not sure what I would need to replace inside the gearbox itself, such as pistons (Which I have to replace anyway). Suggestions?

Also, if you all have any links to DMR builds, they'd be appreciated. I couldn't find much.

there has been some pissing and moaning because the sector axle to piston rail spec on KWAs is different from everything else. That may be why the shop didn't fix it: they don't have KWA pistons on hand. Go to the KWA pro-shop and buy a replacement. (also it'd be smart to diagnose why you ate the last one, post pictures)

As for the rest of it.... start with the middle link in my sig. That'll get you started with tuning up your gun. From there, there is a stickied thread at the top of this subforum on barrel design. And because KWA uses a stupid fully floating barrel group, don't forget to stabilize your inner barrel otherwise you'll never see decent accuracy out of it.

Pretty much you have the common questions, and you're a bit of research away. Oh yeah and you'll pretty soon hear the best advice (which you'll ignore) that is to ditch the KWA in favor of an on-spec platform which is more accepting of your standard upgrades. ;)

ditch the KWA in favor of an on-spec platform which is more accepting of your standard upgrades. ;)

This haha. KWA are not 100% Marui spec, which makes aftermarket upgrades less fun. However, it can be worked with. Pistons? I like lonex red and SHS 15 tooth. But neither of those will help if you don't shim your gears and correct your AOE with sorbo; it'll strip too. Prometheus 6.03 barrels are great, but like HS5 said, inner barrel staibilization is a must, especially with KWAs. You don't need a new hop up. You need R-hop (Made by HS5) and a flat nub (maybe the M-nub, made by HS5 as well). A Mosfet? Most DMRs run semi-only, so if you need one, it'll only be to lock your gun in semi. Full auto users use them to protect their trigger contacts.

Overall, do some research on basic tuning and cheap upgrades before getting in too deep.

If you want to upgrade the gun...do not get a KWA.

I have made a KWA DMR in the past but literally all I switched out was a spring and nub...its about all you can really do without extensive cutting and modifications

I wouldn't even really call it a DMR as I think very highly of a gun when it is addressed with that term.

If you want a DMR that will is an awesome base build (and seeing as you are willing to pay for a KWA M16), buy this:

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/2860-ANK-L...-AEG-Rifle.aspx

Its one of the only places I can find the A&K SR25 in stock. It should come with an V2.5 Gearbox as well unless in newer models they went to V2.

It will accept multiple aftermarket parts and has the potential to compete with high end builds if upgrades and modifications are done correctly.

Edited by soccer77

there has been some pissing and moaning because the sector axle to piston rail spec on KWAs is different from everything else. That may be why the shop didn't fix it: they don't have KWA pistons on hand. Go to the KWA pro-shop and buy a replacement. (also it'd be smart to diagnose why you ate the last one, post pictures)

As for the rest of it.... start with the middle link in my sig. That'll get you started with tuning up your gun. From there, there is a stickied thread at the top of this subforum on barrel design. And because KWA uses a stupid fully floating barrel group, don't forget to stabilize your inner barrel otherwise you'll never see decent accuracy out of it.

Pretty much you have the common questions, and you're a bit of research away. Oh yeah and you'll pretty soon hear the best advice (which you'll ignore) that is to ditch the KWA in favor of an on-spec platform which is more accepting of your standard upgrades. ;)

This haha. KWA are not 100% Marui spec, which makes aftermarket upgrades less fun. However, it can be worked with. Pistons? I like lonex red and SHS 15 tooth. But neither of those will help if you don't shim your gears and correct your AOE with sorbo; it'll strip too. Prometheus 6.03 barrels are great, but like HS5 said, inner barrel staibilization is a must, especially with KWAs. You don't need a new hop up. You need R-hop (Made by HS5) and a flat nub (maybe the M-nub, made by HS5 as well). A Mosfet? Most DMRs run semi-only, so if you need one, it'll only be to lock your gun in semi. Full auto users use them to protect their trigger contacts.

Overall, do some research on basic tuning and cheap upgrades before getting in too deep.

If you want to upgrade the gun...do not get a KWA.

I have made a KWA DMR in the past but literally all I switched out was a spring and nub...its about all you can really do without extensive cutting and modifications

I wouldn't even really call it a DMR as I think very highly of a gun when it is addressed with that term.

If you want a DMR that will is an awesome base build (and seeing as you are willing to pay for a KWA M16), buy this:

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/2860-ANK-L...-AEG-Rifle.aspx

Its one of the only places I can find the A&K SR25 in stock. It should come with an V2.5 Gearbox as well unless in newer models they went to V2.

It will accept multiple aftermarket parts and has the potential to compete with high end builds if upgrades and modifications are done correctly.

Right now, I'm looking at purchasing the VFC 416 and it will become my main rifle. I have a broken CA M4 that I was going to fix up myself to teach myself airsmithing. Switching the KWA to a DMR is the next goal. I loved my M16 when it worked but if it will be difficult to turn into a DMR, then I might try and sell it. It isn't good for any kind of CQB which is partially why I want the 416. Do you think it's just best to replace the piston, get it running, and sell it? Then use that money on a better DMR platform? From what you all are talking about, having the KWA as my first build doesn't sound like a good idea.

KWA is all proprietary...its a fine gun if you only care about stock performance.

DMR base builds need to have lots of room for upgrading.

Now when you are talking about replacing parts do you mean on your VFC?

KWA is all proprietary...its a fine gun if you only care about stock performance.

DMR base builds need to have lots of room for upgrading.

Now when you are talking about replacing parts do you mean on your VFC?

Not immediately. I'm hoping it will perform fine stock. Maybe a TBB or new Hop-up system, but nothing fancy. It's going to be my go-to rifle.