Sign in to follow this  
TammyofJam

Need another suggestion for a friend

Hello, my friend has an old and cheap M14 rifle, and he thinks he needs an upgrade.

Budget: 200 dollars for the gun itself.

Model Preference: He either wants an M4 or a G36, although he'd go for another model if it's much better. The only catch though is that he doesn't want the same gun as me, I have a King Arms Full Metal M4, (doesn't want to be a "copy cat").

Where we play: We usually play in our backyards, but me and him are going to try to start playing at a real airsoft field that's near our house. The FPS limit there is 360 FPS using .25 bbs or up to 400 using .20′s. If the gun shoots too hot for that, we could probably figure out how to change out the spring, but we'd strongly prefer not to.

Role: He's not really sure what he want's to play, so a gun that's versatile.

Tech Skills: We don't currently know much about modifying guns, so he needs something good out of the box, but just in case he wants to modify it in the future, he does need to be able to upgrade it a bit.

Thanks in advance, last time you were helpful and I'm hoping you are just as helpful this time.

Edited by TammyofJam

Guest alberty
But they need to be tuned :P

For the requirements though, the stock quality of a JG G36C probably okay. Consider that the OP and his group are not going to be doing tech work, it's a better suggestion than say a CYMA CM.028 or something. The biggest issue is not being able to find a regular JG G36C from US retailers easily due to Hk licensing restrictions.

In that same price range, your usual suggestion of a King Arms M4 is good too.

I could possibly suggest a G&G Combat Machine or blowback M4, but I do not recommend them if other options are available because of proprietary or different-spec parts.

Edited by alberty

If we don't tune the gun, what problems would we encounter with it? Would the gears break or something, or would the gun just not preform well?

I think EDI is on something today, they don't need immediate tune ups, but once you learn to tech you could re-shim the gears, oil the gearbox, etc.

Guest alberty
If we don't tune the gun, what problems would we encounter with it? Would the gears break or something, or would the gun just not preform well?

I think EDI is on something today, they don't need immediate tune ups, but once you learn to tech you could re-shim the gears, oil the gearbox, etc.

From a tech standpoint, almost every AEG will benefit from a little bit of tuning up and cleaning up right out of the box. But to a casual or beginner player, if you start with a decent model then you really won't feel a pressing need to immediately open up the internals and start doing work.

The gun wouldn't perform as well as it should be if you use it straight out of the box, but that's compared to someone spending a bunch of time teching the gun to near-perfection. Other experienced players like me would tell you something simply like "Use the gun as it is, and after a while you can decide if you want to change anything or not."

I would possibly compare it to buying a new Windows computer--out of the box you can use it and you may not notice anything that gets in the way of having fun. A lot of people use computers without ever uninstalling anything or changing any default settings with no complaints. But once you learn about software and hardware, you can start tinkering around and customize settings so that it runs better to your preferences and liking, and maybe clean up the hard drive of any junk files, unnecessary software, etc...

Edited by alberty

Guest alberty
Even a Tokyo Marui?

I said almost. TM would be an obvious exception.

Edited by alberty

Guest alberty
My friend is leaning towards the Combat Machine, because it has more rails then the JG G36, so can you provide some more information on the CM? Thanks.

Well keep in mind that the G36C already has a rail on the bottom of the handgaurd which would be good for grips and bipods or flashlights, and the long top rail for virtually any optic. Additionally, you can get 2 side rails to attach to the handguard for very cheap. With those in mind you can attach just as many things as you need as you would with the Combat Machine M4. If this basis is just on rails, the G36C can match it.

Additionally, you have the option to buy a G36 type model that has a metal RIS handguard for even more rail space, or buying the RIS handguard aftermarket.

The Combat Machine M4s are G&G's economical line of M4 AEGs. Instead of cheap ABS plastic they have some strong plastic that is light, not shiny, and doesn't crack/break easily. The internals are all metal and setup okay out of the box, a lot better than what you get from other clone guns in the same price range. As an M4 you can customize the internals and externals easily.

Edited by alberty

Yeah, I think that's the best choice but he seems like he's leaning towards the CM.

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/1901-400-f...le-jg-6687.aspx

How could he not like that?