Returning Player...First Time CQB?

Hey y'all. Here's a quick little backstory. I used to live in Connecticut, and back then I owned a TM M4. I used to play in the woods, and that was it.

Well, I moved to Florida in '09, and fell out of airsoft, resulting in me selling everything. And now, I just saw that there is a CQB field extremely close to me, so guess who wants to get back into it, this guy!

But, I don't want to just jump in and drop all my cash again, incase I don't stick with it, like last time. So, I come to you guys for help.

I'd like to keep my budget at around $200-$250 for the gun itself. As far as what type of gun, I used to love M4's, but I don't think I want another...although I will definitely get another if the price is right. I'm not a fan of Galil/AK47's and such though. G36C/MP5/M4/M16/etc are all fair game. Also, the field has a limit of 400FPS w/ .25's, so I'd like to get as close as possible to that.

As stated before, this will be a CQB course. Here is a picture of what a part of the course looks like, although I'm sure most of you know how CQB's look.

As far as role...I want to be whatever the team could use most, if they need me to hang back, I'll gladly hang back. Or if they need me to sprint around, I can do that also. Basically, I guess I need a gun that can be versatile in this 40,000 square foot area.

Hope that clears all the questions you guys have, and I hope I don't sound like too much of a Newbie still. :a-laugh:

Thanks.

Edited by 636

Guest alberty

If you're not a fan of the AK platform and don't know what to get, I'd suggest any M4 variant or maybe a G36C if you want something a little different.

An M4 is a good option for any beginner, or long-time returning player, because it is a platform with virtually unlimited customization and upgrade ability due to its popularity. There are parts on the market to change the gun to your liking both internally and externally and spare magazines are never a problem.

Nowadays there's more than plenty of brands to choose from that will function fine enough out of the box. For an M4, off the top of my head some good choices you can look at are:

- JG

- SRC

- G&G

- VFC

- G&P

- King Arms

- Lonex?

Off the top of my head, I would not recommend these for beginner M4s due to proprietary parts or being on the cheaper side:

- ICS

- ARES

- DBoys

- A&K

- AGM

Wow with a limit of 400 FPS with 0.25g BBs, I think 9 out of 10 AEGs you buy from today's market will be right under the limit as most shoot around 350-400 FPS with 0.20g BBs out of the box.

Why get an AEG? Just go with a pistol.

I'd rather get an AEG again and side-arm with a pistol. I used to use an AEG, and the people I'll be playing against are using autos as well, I dunno, I'd just rather a rifle. Personal preference I guess.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I've come up with a list of guns that I believe are all decent guns. Just curious as to what everyone's opinion on them are!

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPat...oducts_id=35201

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPat...oducts_id=33573

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPat...oducts_id=36987

Maybe this?

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPat...oducts_id=32949

I'm still open to other suggestions, I can't seem to find many non-M4's. Thank y'all.

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=29119

It's the M4, but it feels like you're holding Baby Jesus it's so comfortable(those are the exact words of my friend when holding it).

Guest alberty

With your price range, see if you can look at King Arms, SRC, G&P, and VFC. I think those would be the highest quality in that general price range.

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=29119

It's the M4, but it feels like you're holding Baby Jesus it's so comfortable(those are the exact words of my friend when holding it).

I saw this, and was debating on it. Does anyone know anything else about this gun?

Guest alberty
I saw this, and was debating on it. Does anyone know anything else about this gun?

It's just a JG M4 with different-looking externals. You could literally take off the special parts to reveal a regular looking M4 inside.

I don't highly recommend it but if that's your flavour go ahead. I'd instead recommend an M4 with a freefloat rail system with the battery wiring in a crane stock.

It's just a JG M4 with different-looking externals. You could literally take off the special parts to reveal a regular looking M4 inside.

I don't highly recommend it but if that's your flavour go ahead. I'd instead recommend an M4 with a freefloat rail system with the battery wiring in a crane stock.

What do you prefer Alberty, rear wiring, or holding the equivalent of Christ as a baby? :a-laugh:

Well, I think I've settled on this one.

Everyone agree?

1x King Arms Colt M4A1 Carbine Airsoft AEG Rifle w/ Nylon Fiber Receiver, Battery & Charger $165.00

1 x G&P Intellect 9.6v 1600mAh NiMH V-Shape Battery (Deans Connector) $28.00

3 x Airsoft Elite 0.25g BB 3000 rd ( White ) Max Precision BBs $33.00

1 x JG / Echo1 / CYMA 300rd Metal Hi-Cap Magazine For M4/M16/L85/SCAR Series Airsoft AEG (Set of 5) $60.00

1 x Evike.com Airsoft 6mm BB Speed Loader for All Airsoft Magazines (transparent) $3.00

1 x Airsoft Universal Smart Charger for 7.2V~12V NiMh & NiCd Battery Packs $28.00

vghs applied(VGHS Special! (20% OFF ENTIRE ORDER!)): -$63.40

Sub-Total: $253.60

United Parcel Service (Ground [2-6 business days in transit]): $33.56

Total: $287.16

Excluding the vest/goggles, which I have, is this enough to get out there and start playing at arenas/public areas? (I never have before.)

Or should I get this??

crap >_<

Edited by 636

Guest alberty
Well, I think I've settled on this one.

Everyone agree?

1x King Arms Colt M4A1 Carbine Airsoft AEG Rifle w/ Nylon Fiber Receiver, Battery & Charger $165.00

1 x G&P Intellect 9.6v 1600mAh NiMH V-Shape Battery (Deans Connector) $28.00

3 x Airsoft Elite 0.25g BB 3000 rd ( White ) Max Precision BBs $33.00

1 x JG / Echo1 / CYMA 300rd Metal Hi-Cap Magazine For M4/M16/L85/SCAR Series Airsoft AEG (Set of 5) $60.00

1 x Evike.com Airsoft 6mm BB Speed Loader for All Airsoft Magazines (transparent) $3.00

1 x Airsoft Universal Smart Charger for 7.2V~12V NiMh & NiCd Battery Packs $28.00

vghs applied(VGHS Special! (20% OFF ENTIRE ORDER!)): -$63.40

Sub-Total: $253.60

United Parcel Service (Ground [2-6 business days in transit]): $33.56

Total: $287.16

Excluding the vest/goggles, which I have, is this enough to get out there and start playing at arenas/public areas? (I never have before.)

Or should I get this??

crap >_<

Immediately, I see a few issues with your current "cart":

- That G&P 9.6v NiMH battery you listed has a Deans connector on it, but the gun you listed has a small-Tamiya connector. Unless you are able to solder a Deans connector onto your gun yourself, change your battery choice.

- You don't need a speed loader if you're using hi-cap magazines. Hi-cap magazines are loaded via a trap door that you literally pour BBs into.

- That smart charger is a very cheap basic one, I'd recommend something else but I believe Evike doesn't have any others. I think hobby retailers and eBay may yield better results, such as a multifunction charger like an Imax B6 which costs the same but does like 100-times more things.

Suggestions:

- I don't think you need 5 hi-caps. Even just 1 is more than enough if you don't spray a lot, 2 or 3 is reasonable. You can consider removing that box set or looking elsewhere for additonal mags. Another great option is to get some Lonex/Echo 1 flash mags. They are hi-caps that don't use a winding wheel but instead use a pull cord, and their quality and finish are superb.

That JG M4 S-System II:

- I don't know about its internals but it's okay. I know a lot of beginners suggest it but I don't recommend it because I dislike the small battery storage space. The battery compartment is in the rail system/handguard, and it is small, designed only to accommodate a small type 8.4v NiMH battery or smaller (and an 8.4v NiMH would give you mediocre trigger response and rate of fire). You could try to use a good 7.4v lipo battery or move the plug out for a PEQ box.

- That probably uses the old TM-style split upper receiver system in which the receivers swivel apart. That means 2 plastic tabs in the upper receiver that usually gets broken by accident. Also uses the 2-piece hop-up unit, so that makes upgraedes or replacements limited.

For your field, check their rules. Normally you just need to have your gun concealed in a case or bag before you walk in, have a barrel cover, and your own mask/goggles. Check to see if they require full face coverage or just goggles, check if they require you to bring a red rag or not, etc...

Edited by alberty

Immediately, I see a few issues with your current "cart":

- That G&P 9.6v NiMH battery you listed has a Deans connector on it, but the gun you listed has a small-Tamiya connector. Unless you are able to solder a Deans connector onto your gun yourself, change your battery choice.

- You don't need a speed loader if you're using hi-cap magazines. Hi-cap magazines are loaded via a trap door that you literally pour BBs into.

- That smart charger is a very cheap basic one, I'd recommend something else but I believe Evike doesn't have any others. I think hobby retailers and eBay may yield better results, such as a multifunction charger like an Imax B6 which costs the same but does like 100-times more things.

Suggestions:

- I don't think you need 5 hi-caps. Even just 1 is more than enough if you don't spray a lot, 2 or 3 is reasonable. You can consider removing that box set or looking elsewhere for additonal mags. Another great option is to get some Lonex/Echo 1 flash mags. They are hi-caps that don't use a winding wheel but instead use a pull cord, and their quality and finish are superb.

That JG M4 S-System II:

- I don't know about its internals but it's okay. I know a lot of beginners suggest it but I don't recommend it because I dislike the small battery storage space. The battery compartment is in the rail system/handguard, and it is small, designed only to accommodate a small type 8.4v NiMH battery or smaller (and an 8.4v NiMH would give you mediocre trigger response and rate of fire). You could try to use a good 7.4v lipo battery or move the plug out for a PEQ box.

- That probably uses the old TM-style split upper receiver system in which the receivers swivel apart. That means 2 plastic tabs in the upper receiver that usually gets broken by accident. Also uses the 2-piece hop-up unit, so that makes upgraedes or replacements limited.

For your field, check their rules. Normally you just need to have your gun concealed in a case or bag before you walk in, have a barrel cover, and your own mask/goggles. Check to see if they require full face coverage or just goggles, check if they require you to bring a red rag or not, etc...

Thank you very much for all this! I greatly appreciate everything you've helped me with!!

Last question, then I'm purchasing everything. I was looking up batteries, and don't want to cheap out on one, so I found this.

http://eliteairsoftbatteries.com/products/...ttery-pack.aspx

Would that work, and is that much better than the http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=29458 I had previously?

Guest alberty
Last question, then I'm purchasing everything. I was looking up batteries, and don't want to cheap out on one, so I found this.

http://eliteairsoftbatteries.com/products/...ttery-pack.aspx

Would that work, and is that much better than the http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=29458 I had previously?

Almost everyone experienced tech will point you towards Elite for good NiMH packs, so that's definitely a good choice. As long as you have a small type Tamiya plug on the battery, you can use it with your gun with no modification.

In the end we'd also recommend you switch everything to Deans connectors for superiority, but you can stick with the regular small type Tamiya plugs for now.

Almost everyone experienced tech will point you towards Elite for good NiMH packs, so that's definitely a good choice. As long as you have a small type Tamiya plug on the battery, you can use it with your gun with no modification.

In the end we'd also recommend you switch everything to Deans connectors for superiority, but you can stick with the regular small type Tamiya plugs for now.

Thank you! Time to buy!

Guest alberty
Thank you! Time to buy!

Hey don't forget you can double-check with us one more time before checking out, just to be safe.

Hey don't forget you can double-check with us one more time before checking out, just to be safe.

I swapped out the hi-cap mags, and got one mid-mag, and one flash mag. I double checked everything else and bought it. Thanks for all y'alls help. I'm sure you'l be hearing from me when it comes time to upgrade!

I'm just shopping for a new vest/mag holders + new mask/goggles, since I can't seem to find mine.

Edited by 636

Guest alberty
I swapped out the hi-cap mags, and got one mid-mag, and one flash mag. I double checked everything else and bought it. Thanks for all y'alls help. I'm sure you'l be hearing from me when it comes time to upgrade!

I'm just shopping for a new vest/mag holders + new mask/goggles, since I can't seem to find mine.

If you did switch to mid-cap mags, you then will need a speedloader tool. If you forgot to order one, then don't worry because you can find them in stores easily or borrow one from a friendly player.