Sign in to follow this  
Wally_562

G&P Sentry DMR

So I am finally ready to begin converting my G&P sentry into a DMR (or something close to it) and I would like some suggestions. I have done my fair share of research on the topic and I believe I have a parts list that will work to achieve my goals for the rifle. First off I would like to be able to field the gun at my local field and they limit single shot DMRs to 450 fps with .20g's so that will be my max fps. Second The main goals of this build are for maximum accuracy/range and consistency so most of the modification will be geared towards this. Although I am also interested in any mods that would silence the gun as well. So far this is what I have planned for the gun.

- Prometheus 450mm tightbore

- ER-Hop with M-Nub

- BTC Chimera MOSFET

- Lonex A1 Motor

- Lonex Steel Ball Bearing Spring Guide

- Lonex V.2 Cylinder Head

- Lonex Full Steel Cylinder

- Lonex O-Ringed Airseal Nozzle

- SHS Steel Tooth Piston

- Sorbopad/AOE Correction

- Reshim

- Hair Trigger

- Sector Clip

- 16" DD Outer Barrel

- Madbull 12.5" Handguard

I am about to purchase the majority of these parts but before I click checkout I would like some opinions. Do you see anything missing right away? Any better alternatives than what I have listed? Any suggestions for other parts I should look into or mods I may have overlooked? Anyone who has built or is building a DMR have any tips or advice to give would be much appreciated.

Here is what I have right now

IMAG0176-1_zps3aaa576f.jpg

I am also taking suggestions on what stock to purchase to complete the "look" ? Thanks in advanced for reading !!!

You don't need 1/2 half of those parts for what you want to do mechanically.

Install

- Prometheus 450mm tightbore

- ER-Hop with M-Nub

- BTC Chimera MOSFET

- Lonex A1 Motor

- Lonex Full Steel Cylinder

- SHS Steel Tooth Piston (meh)

Should do!

- Sorbopad/AOE Correction (mechbox radiusing)

- Reshim

- Hair Trigger

- Sector Clip (Stock gears already have this and can handle 450fps stress levels, but not needed for a DMR)

Where's the spring...doing all this modifications without a spring is NOT going to get your 450fps.

Edited by Guges Mk3

Don't need the sector chip probably, and externals are all yours to decide. The only points of significance I really disagree on are I'm not a huge fan of full steel rack pistons (although the SHS is rather popular at the moment) and I'd upgrade the gears to SC gears. Something like GSRs should give you crisp response, GSRPs (if you've got the skill to tune for it) will give you even snappier response although I'd not really pair that with that motor for DMR use.

On thing to mention though: are you planning on using this in semi only? I ask because if you're running semi only at 450fps nominal, and everyone with full auto is allowed 400fps nominal, you're going to be stupidly outclassed. It'd make a lot more sense to lose 50fps, and run full auto, but keep the accuracy enhancements. Your "sniping" then won't be one shot one kill, but you'll just let a short burst go increasing your effective range significantly. You'll also retain the ability to lay down withering cover fire. My rule of thumb, for what its worth (nothing) is that to make the jump to semi you want to have about double the kinetic energy of the FAs running around.

My 2c.

You don't need 1/2 half of those parts for what you want to do mechanically.

I realize some of the parts don't need to be replaced but I was recommended to replace certain things for longevity.

Where's the spring...doing all this modifications without a spring is NOT going to get your 450fps.

As far as the spring goes I have an extra guarder m120 I can use but my G&P is already shooting 400fps, didn't think I would need to change it but I'll look into it.

Don't need the sector chip probably, and externals are all yours to decide. The only points of significance I really disagree on are I'm not a huge fan of full steel rack pistons (although the SHS is rather popular at the moment) and I'd upgrade the gears to SC gears. Something like GSRs should give you crisp response, GSRPs (if you've got the skill to tune for it) will give you even snappier response although I'd not really pair that with that motor for DMR use.

Mind elaborating on this a little. I was recommended an SHS Piston which is why I choose it, so your recommending GSRs ? Not sure what that might be tried searching for it but nothing came up? GSRPs ? As far as the SC gears go should I just go with standard gear ratios or what would work best? No Lonex A1 with GSRPs ?

On thing to mention though: are you planning on using this in semi only? I ask because if you're running semi only at 450fps nominal, and everyone with full auto is allowed 400fps nominal, you're going to be stupidly outclassed. It'd make a lot more sense to lose 50fps, and run full auto, but keep the accuracy enhancements. Your "sniping" then won't be one shot one kill, but you'll just let a short burst go increasing your effective range significantly. You'll also retain the ability to lay down withering cover fire. My rule of thumb, for what its worth (nothing) is that to make the jump to semi you want to have about double the kinetic energy of the FAs running around.

I wasn't originally planning on a 450 single shot DMR I wanted to go 500fps but my field wont allow for it. Although now that you mention it that does make a lot of sense. I will keep that in mind. Quick question since I know you have a lot of experience with this sort of thing given this mod list saying I stick to 400fps what kind of range do you think I can realistically expect?

My 2c.

Thanks for the help guys.

Edited by Wally_562

Your gun is not considered a DMR if you are shooting full auto...period. I would make sure to get a CNC air nozzle instead of a plastic one. Your list looks pretty good to me. The lonex motor works pretty good, but the G&P m120 ( I assume that is what you have in your gun) works alright as well. If you are only going to be pulling an m120 then you should be fine with the G&P motor.

He is right in saying you won't see much of an FPS increase without changing the spring. A common mistake people make is thinking a DMR needs to be shooting really hot to be considered a DMR. If you have a really accurate gun (barrel, hop up, bucking, nub) then you would be fine without increasing the FPS (more so if you play indoors or at a CQB Outdoor field). If you play outdoors at a "real" field then you may want to increase your FPS so you can shoot through brush more effectively (higher FPS and heavier BB's).

I would advise against putting more than an m130 in a V2 gearbox without upgrading it to a reinforced gearbox. If you really want a hard shooting DMR then get a V3. I have never heard of a v3 with a blown front end.

Edited by Jasperi

Your gun is not considered a DMR if you are shooting full auto...period.

Semantics. What do you call a long range precision rifle (longer ranged than your DMR of equal power) that is select fire?

I would advise against putting more than an m130 in a V2 gearbox without upgrading it to a reinforced gearbox.

Stock G&P gearboxes tend to be reasonably tough, among the better V2s. With sorbo I'd confidently run an M150+ in it, and with a front solid buffer I'd confidently run basically anything in it. My 2c on that. A lot of this gearbox "upgrading" in regards to the shell itself is a bit overblown. There are situations, don't get me wrong, but its not nearly so necessary as the antiquated school of thought from the SystemA days would suggest.

Mind elaborating on this a little. I was recommended an SHS Piston which is why I choose it, so your recommending GSRs ? Not sure what that might be tried searching for it but nothing came up? GSRPs ? As far as the SC gears go should I just go with standard gear ratios or what would work best? No Lonex A1 with GSRPs ? I can get a G&P M170 motor for a great deal would that be better? I didn't get it because I figured it would be overkill for me.

I wasn't originally planning on a 450 single shot DMR I wanted to go 500fps but my field wont allow for it. Although now that you mention it that does make a lot of sense. I will keep that in mind. Quick question since I know you have a lot of experience with this sort of thing given this mod list saying I stick to 400fps what kind of range do you think I can realistically expect?

My 2c.

Probably should have replied to your post individually here. My bad

If your field is limiting to 450FPS only, why do it.....?

Just build a 400FPS rifle with ER-hop....

Like HS5 said, it's stupid to limit yourself to semi-auto only with only 50 more FPS.

Semantics? I don't believe so. A DMR is a semi rifle... period. I'm not saying it is worth it to make a rifle 50 fps higher to be limited to semi only, however, that doesn't take away from the definition of a DMR.

OP:

Check with your field to see what their requirements for a DMR are. I'd just leave your G&P the way it is if you are keeping it at 400 fps.

Edited by Jasperi

With the right compression, if the ER-Hop is as good as everyone says it is, at 450 fps with 0.20g, it should be putting 0.36g out very far. If it cannot then the ER-Hop is no better than an R-hop. Because I was able to get the Flat Hop at 450 fps to shoot 0.36g very far out there.

And from what I recall, R-hop fanatics put a lot of hate on the Flat hop. Supposedly the ER-Hop is supposed to be insanely better.

I actually have an ER-Hop now on my SR25 so I am going to try it out but its at a much greater FPS.

My point is, the ER-hop is supposed to be give you a much greater contact time and should result in a better spin and consistency so using 0.36g should work fine with a 450 fps gun and should get decently far results but your round may travel slow.

However, to agree with the above posts, with only 50 fps difference I wouldn't do it. That's how most fields where I live have it at. You really don't want to have to lead targets and pray that the wind is with you because your round is traveling so slow.

If you had a 500 fps cap or even better, a 550 fps cap, its an entirely different game. With the flat hop, and good compression and work, you can get a 0.40g to easily go 350 feet++. Lets see what happens with an ER-Hop :)

Guest alberty
Semantics? I don't believe so. A DMR is a semi rifle... period. I'm not saying it is worth it to make a rifle 50 fps higher to be limited to semi only, however, that doesn't take away from the definition of a DMR.

OP:

Check with your field to see what their requirements for a DMR are. I'd just leave your G&P the way it is if you are keeping it at 400 fps.

I think it's just semantics when it comes to airsoft because all of these replicas are using the same kind of internal system and firing the same kind of ammo in essence. "DMR" is just an easier name to use for fields to categorize different classes of equipment rules specifically the higher FPS ones. If I brought an MP5 shooting 500 FPS and modified it to shoot semi-only, the field staff would subject it to "DMR" classification (exception being if they have milsim appearance requirements for weapons).

So, I'd point to your second part there--check the field rules, see if bumping up to DMR classification is more trouble or not.

I think it's just semantics when it comes to airsoft because all of these replicas are using the same kind of internal system and firing the same kind of ammo in essence. "DMR" is just an easier name to use for fields to categorize different classes of equipment rules specifically the higher FPS ones. If I brought an MP5 shooting 500 FPS and modified it to shoot semi-only, the field staff would subject it to "DMR" classification (exception being if they have milsim appearance requirements for weapons).

So, I'd point to your second part there--check the field rules, see if bumping up to DMR classification is more trouble or not.

I couldn't agree more, just wanted to make sure he didn't go to a field with a hot M4 shooting full auto.

And from what I recall, R-hop fanatics put a lot of hate on the Flat hop. Supposedly the ER-Hop is supposed to be insanely better.

I wouldn't say that we put a lot of hate on the Flat Hop, but when people are asking for the "best parts" the R-hop tends to come out on top. Extra durability, concave shape gives a little better accuracy and contact over the bb, etc.

The Flat Hop is a great stepping stone, and an improvement over stock buckings, but there is room for improvement there too.