Sign in to follow this  
The Bacon Man

Looking for my first gun

I am a paintball player, but I'm looking for an airsoft gun to shoot in my backyard and to maybe play a few times a year. Nothing too expensive, $100 is about my budget. Just something fun to shoot and something that looks cool! I'd prefer an M4/M16 style gun, that is my preference of looks. A metal body would be cool, but would that cost a lot?

Thanks.

Edited by The Bacon Man

$100 for an M4... Gee wiz, that's low. Lancer Tactical is OK, that's about all you'd probably be able to afford though unless you buy a used gun. But that's still pretty low.

I don't know why people don't like Lancer Tacticals, They work great as long as you don't drop them, or put too powerful of a battery in them, or shoot more than a 15 round burst, or bump it into something, or touch it. They alse take full advantage of the "Shotgun effect", great for spray and prey.

Yeah, if you buy one and never use it, it can't break. Just use it as a show piece and you will be fine.

Just get a JG, they are great low end/cost guns.

I don't know why people don't like Lancer Tacticals, They work great as long as you don't drop them, or put too powerful of a battery in them, or shoot more than a 15 round burst, or bump it into something, or touch it. They alse take full advantage of the "Shotgun effect", great for spray and prey.

Yeah, if you buy one and never use it, it can't break. Just use it as a show piece and you will be fine.

Just get a JG, they are great low end/cost guns.

Ummmm.. I've owned my lancer tactical for over a year now and it's great. I borrow it out to my for ends wheneve they want to come out and play with me but don't have gear. It's never broke or had any major problems. It s never even jammed.

Guest alberty

Just like with paintball, keep in mind that using a nicer gun/marker to try out the sport with may get you more interested or let you have more fun because of better performance. If you strictly stay at $100 or lower and are only looking at brand new AEGs, you will only have mediocre options at the price range. Even for beginners, we usually recommend some models of AEGs that tend to be at least $140 and higher.

If you're able to bump up the budget at all or looked at guns listed on forums, you may have a more satisfying experience. You won't have to feel as upset about spending a little more money because at least you don't have to buy expensive ammo (check cost of a box of good paintballs vs cost of a bag of good 0.20g BBs) and if you're getting an AEG you won't need to pay for tank fills just have a battery and charger.

Edited by alberty

Just like with paintball, keep in mind that using a nicer gun/marker to try out the sport with may get you more interested or let you have more fun because of better performance. If you strictly stay at $100 or lower and are only looking at brand new AEGs, you will only have mediocre options at the price range. Even for beginners, we usually recommend some models of AEGs that tend to be at least $140 and higher.

If you're able to bump up the budget at all or looked at guns listed on forums, you may have a more satisfying experience. You won't have to feel as upset about spending a little more money because at least you don't have to buy expensive ammo (check cost of a box of good paintballs vs cost of a bag of good 0.20g BBs) and if you're getting an AEG you won't need to pay for tank fills just have a battery and charger.

Cool, thanks. I'll look at all the suggestions from everyone and I'll add $50 to my budget for $150. I'll post what I find. I'm OK with used, but I'd limit it to eBay. My parents aren't too fond of buying off forums.

As far as BBs go, what should I be looking for? Do most 0.20g bio-degradable BBs really work? What brands make good BBs?

Cool, thanks. I'll look at all the suggestions from everyone and I'll add $50 to my budget for $150. I'll post what I find. I'm OK with used, but I'd limit it to eBay. My parents aren't too fond of buying off forums.

As far as BBs go, what should I be looking for? Do most 0.20g bio-degradable BBs really work? What brands make good BBs?

If you want a cool looking gun, get A JG AUG A2. I know its not an M16 or an M4 but it is good for CQB (im guessing you do CBQ cause of your backyard) and it gets 380 FPS so its not to high and its reliable. I have my own custom AUG and the JG AUG A2 and it works great. Its about $130 to $150 but its worth it. Go to AirsoftMegastore to get it for the cheapest price. Airsplat may be cheaper but from personnal experiences, I do not trust Airsplat.

A good brand of BB is Goldenball. They are all I use and are at a good price sold at Airsoftmegastore. Bio degradable (in my experince) don't work and are weak and my buddys had some and they broke in the gun so just use regular bbs.

Matrix bbs are good and madbull bbs are good as well, but do not buy any walmart or other department store bb like crossmans, ultrasonic, etc. they will break in the gun and ruin it.

If you want a cool looking gun, get A JG AUG A2. I know its not an M16 or an M4 but it is good for CQB (im guessing you do CBQ cause of your backyard) and it gets 380 FPS so its not to high and its reliable. I have my own custom AUG and the JG AUG A2 and it works great. Its about $130 to $150 but its worth it. Go to AirsoftMegastore to get it for the cheapest price. Airsplat may be cheaper but from personnal experiences, I do not trust Airsplat.

A good brand of BB is Goldenball. They are all I use and are at a good price sold at Airsoftmegastore. Bio degradable (in my experince) don't work and are weak and my buddys had some and they broke in the gun so just use regular bbs.

Matrix bbs are good and madbull bbs are good as well, but do not buy any walmart or other department store bb like crossmans, ultrasonic, etc. they will break in the gun and ruin it.

Thanks. I checked out the gun and I will keep it in mind. I think I made an error in the OP, I mean that I am shooting it in my backyard, as in by myself, like target practice. So a CQB gun isn't a requirement.

As for the BBs, what are the advantages of 0.25g, etc. I guess they would be more accurate and travel faster?

Guest alberty
Thanks. I checked out the gun and I will keep it in mind. I think I made an error in the OP, I mean that I am shooting it in my backyard, as in by myself, like target practice. So a CQB gun isn't a requirement.

As for the BBs, what are the advantages of 0.25g, etc. I guess they would be more accurate and travel faster?

FPS doesn't matter but the heavier you go, the better groupings you'll get from your shots, translating to better accuracy. Additionally, the heavier weight means the BB will be less negatively affected by aerodynamics so in a way they could be going farther. If you go even heavier with like 0.40g, they start getting more expensive and you'll need to adjust up the hop-up more. You can't easily lob like you would with a marker because the projectiles are just so small when using these BBs.

If don't really have any strong preferences, you could go for an M4 model. That platform has the most parts and magazines available on the market, and you can choose to hold the handguard or grip by the magwell like with a tournament marker.

Edited by alberty

FPS doesn't matter but the heavier you go, the better groupings you'll get from your shots, translating to better accuracy. Additionally, the heavier weight means the BB will be less negatively affected by aerodynamics so in a way they could be going farther. If you go even heavier with like 0.40g, they start getting more expensive and you'll need to adjust up the hop-up more. You can't easily lob like you would with a marker because the projectiles are just so small when using these BBs.

If don't really have any strong preferences, you could go for an M4 model. That platform has the most parts and magazines available on the market, and you can choose to hold the handguard or grip by the magwell like with a tournament marker.

Great. I really have my eye on this.

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPat...oducts_id=36987

It seems like a good gun and I like how it looks.

Alberty makes great and accurate points on the bbs. In my opinion and experince from field and cqc/cqb, I prefer .23 bbs. I get the best range and accuracy out of those, and in my soul opinion, it gives you the perfect balance of wieght because it sits between .20 and .25 but its just whatever you like to use and what you prefer.

Great. I really have my eye on this.

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPat...oducts_id=36987

It seems like a good gun and I like how it looks.

And btw, my friend has the M4 you are looking at and it is a beast. Accurate, good range, well built to last and take a beating, just all around great gun. He has shot me with it and it hurts like hell. Only downside is the battery is hard to put in it (kind of a tight fit) but well worth it

Edited by alberty

Alberty makes great and accurate points on the bbs. In my opinion and experince from field and cqc/cqb, I prefer .23 bbs. I get the best range and accuracy out of those, and in my soul opinion, it gives you the perfect balance of wieght because it sits between .20 and .25 but its just whatever you like to use and what you prefer.

And btw, my friend has the M4 you are looking at and it is a beast. Accurate, good range, well built to last and take a beating, just all around great gun. He has shot me with it and it hurts like hell. Only downside is the battery is hard to put in it (kind of a tight fit) but well worth it

Great, thanks. BBs are so cheap that I can buy tons of different ones and try them out. A box of 2000 paintballs costs $55-70 for good ones. At my paintball feild where we are forced to buy the ones they have, it is $90/2000.

I am 100% sure on this gun after browsing around. So for the most part, any typical M4 parts should work on this?

Great, thanks. BBs are so cheap that I can buy tons of different ones and try them out. A box of 2000 paintballs costs $55-70 for good ones. At my paintball feild where we are forced to buy the ones they have, it is $90/2000.

I am 100% sure on this gun after browsing around. So for the most part, any typical M4 parts should work on this?

I know the feeling. I used to paintball myself but it go so expensive due to the ammo so its understandable.

And any part should work, its an M4 so like Alberty said. I also asked my friend and he said yes but if you ever buy a different rail system for it, you have to buy a specific one meant for this model because the battery is stored under the rail and it is a specific model made for this rail but most if not all M4/M16 parts will work with it.

I know the feeling. I used to paintball myself but it go so expensive due to the ammo so its understandable.

And any part should work, its an M4 so like Alberty said. I also asked my friend and he said yes but if you ever buy a different rail system for it, you have to buy a specific one meant for this model because the battery is stored under the rail and it is a specific model made for this rail but most if not all M4/M16 parts will work with it.

Thanks for all the help. I think I'm pretty much set guys! Thanks. I will post back if I have any questions.