HeavyMetalNerd213

Total Newbie and I Need Advice Please

Alright, so I have practically no idea what I need to begin in airsoft as in armor (so to speak...) and what brands for everything (ammo, guns, "armor") are best. I've heard of a few brands but I'd like to get advice on my own question. Mention some mediocre and crappy brands too, and tell me why they're not so good to buy if you can. Then I'll know why to stay away from them and what to look out for. Same for ammo and "armor" and whatever else, like targets for practice. I know ammo can make a difference on your gun's performance and maintenance. If you get crappy ammo, I hear it can break your gun, and that it's also less accurate and all that. So please only recommend quality ammo brands. I know the size depends on your gun and everything, but if you can, recommend a good size for best accuracy and range. I know the heavier, the better. At least for the most part.

When just browsing guns, I've tended to lean towards spring-powered guns over battery and gas powered. Is spring good, or is electric better? I don't really want to deal with gas since that would cost more. Since I haven't actually messed around with any airsoft guns, I wouldn't know what style I prefer (sniper, assualt, LMG, SMG, shotgun), but I'm thinking shotguns and sniper rifles. I love the thought of hiding and being stealthy, supporting my team from a long distance. And if I go close-range, I like shotguns just because they're pretty sweet in my opinion. I have nothing against assault rifles, LMGs, or SMGs to my knowledge, though out of those 3 I think I would prefer an assault rifle. If shotguns aren't that great then let me know. Opinions are great but if they're actual facts that's even better. I know shotguns are a spray of pellets so they may not be that great unless I'm nearly point-blank, so maybe I would want to do snipers and assault. Like I said, I don't know, which is why I'm posting this and craving knowledge. Maybe they cost more as well, since I'd have to buy shells and not pellets? Maybe I'm completely mistaken and they shoot pellets like all other guns and they're actually pretty lame. I have no clue, so please inform me!

One thing I've heard is that FPS isn't necessarily that important besides range, correct? Accuracy is more important, which would make sense. I definitely want an accurate gun, but doesn't FPS/range help? Especially if it's a sniper rifle, I would imagine.

I also need to learn about cleaning the gun. I'm gonna continue to research that as well, but I'd love to get some answers and tips on here from people who know what they're doing. The more in-depth, most likely the better.

Thanks, that's all I can think of for now, though I'm sure I'll think of more questions, and probably gain more, in the process. I appreciate all the help you can give. And also, don't be a bunch of jerks to me. When I was researching, I came across a thread on this website that brought me here, and I saw a bunch of people being jerks to this poor new guy, and an admin had to close the thread. I saw he posted it in the wrong place but still, that's ridiculous. Let's try to be nice and helpful, not a bunch of flamers that are just punks to Newbies.

Edited by HeavyMetalNerd213

Guest alberty
Thanks, that's all I can think of for now, though I'm sure I'll think of more questions, and probably gain more, in the process. I appreciate all the help you can give. And also, don't be a bunch of jerks to me. When I was researching, I came across a thread on this website that brought me here, and I saw a bunch of people being jerks to this poor new guy, and an admin had to close the thread. I saw he posted it in the wrong place but still, that's ridiculous. Let's try to be nice and helpful, not a bunch of flamers that are just punks to Newbies.

I'm not sure what threads you were looking at exactly, but keep in mind that if a certain few users have a harsh or stern tone toward someone, new or old, it should not necessarily be indicative of the entire forum's community. This holds true for the other way around--sometimes we see beginners asking for help or answers and then getting into forum wars when met with blunt answers or suggestions to do something completely different, and that should not be indicative of all beginners.

Welcome to the forum. I am moving your thread to the "Which gun should I get section?" since it seems that you need the most focus with choosing a gun. Don't forget to check out the pinned topic there for more pointers to get your questions answered.

I do applaud your research efforts--you seem to already see past the many beginner myths, such as FPS alone vs. actual performance quality.

Edited by alberty

In your long comment you are stuck on a few misconceptions.

What an Airsoft Gun looks like has absolutely no bearing on what it can do. 99.8% uses the 6mm ball as the projectile and so with that the main choice is the AEG. You just can’t keep up with anything else.

Sniper Rifles

What is perceived to be a Sniper Rifle is really only a Bolt Action Rifle out of the box. Triple the cost of the weapon to give it any advantage over an AEG. 1 shot at 450fps will lose 90% of the time to 20 rounds per second at 400fps.

Shotguns

Shot guns are spring operated (95%) and thus again are hampered by the low ROF rate. It is a very niche weapon. Sure...you can hide and blast one guy...then you will be mowed down by the other automatics. However, pistols and shotguns games are a blast when AEG's are not allowed.

LMG’s

Are heavy and large, you can turn any AEG into a LMG with a drum magazine or a hicap magazine. However, some venues have a MILSIM rule. You cannot field a MP5K with a drum mag as a LMG. Thus you must get a LMG if you want to be a support gunner.

Let pricing be your guide.

The better stuff is more expensive in the same class. However, there is a starter range of ~250.00 where you can get decent new items or really good used items.

I would suggest you go out to an Airsoft field and look at equipment people are fielding. I would not want to give you the fire hose of knowledge, not that I would want to prep that all up in a written text either.

Edited by Guges Mk3

fps isn't important for accuracy but lowers lead time and discourages cheaters. It's a really minor improvement though, and comes with decreased reliability and makes that gun unusable for cqb. I'd rather have a quality 1J gun than a junk 450 fps gun but everything else being equal more fps is sliightly better for field. Just don't buy guns by fps, my favorite rifle I've owned so far shot at sub 300 fps.

Most everything else has been covered. Spring guns are junk. There are gas shotguns which might actually be fieldable as opposed to the can't :censored2: them very rapidly spring ones (I'm sure someone also makes a semi auto one), but they cost as much as an alright AEG anyways. The best way to start airsoft is with a regular carbine length assault rifle aeg because they sorta do everything okay. See what you like and then go from there. If you find yourself in semi auto carefully taking long range shots, you might want to try a dmr build or if you've got a lot of dough maybe a bolt action sniper rifle. If you're like me and you find a good static position put it on full auto and start doing magdumps you might want to look into LMGs. If you want something smaller so you can more comfortably insano rush downsizing to a cqb length or some kind of smg might be nice.

Edited by Bomb has been planted

.... There are gas shotguns which might actually be fieldable as opposed to the can't :censored2: them very rapidly spring ones (I'm sure someone also makes a semi auto one), but they cost as much as an alright AEG anyways....

Maruzen has a shell ejecting SA gas shotty for the last 10+ years, as well as Tanaka. Then there is the Marushin 8mm M500 shotty of pain and the ACM clone in 6mm. But, they are not shell ejecting.

Edited by Guges Mk3

So I should try to stay away from spring-action guns? I take it battery-powered is better? What about gas, just out of curiosity?

How would I know if say, a sniper at 300 fps was better than a sniper at 600 fps? I know fps isn't too important, but I want to understand and know what IS important. I already know accuracy is, because without accuracy then you aren't hitting jack unless you get lucky or something. What should I be looking for and staying away from?

From what I read, shotguns are pretty much trash, correct? What about snipers? Are they a waste?

Also, I apologize if I offended anyone, I didn't mean to generalize you all as jerks, I was only saying I don't want any of that here. You're all pretty great so far and I thank you for the help (please keep it coming :a-wink: )

So I should try to stay away from spring-action guns? I take it battery-powered is better? What about gas, just out of curiosity?

How would I know if say, a sniper at 300 fps was better than a sniper at 600 fps? I know fps isn't too important, but I want to understand and know what IS important. I already know accuracy is, because without accuracy then you aren't hitting jack unless you get lucky or something. What should I be looking for and staying away from?

From what I read, shotguns are pretty much trash, correct? What about snipers? Are they a waste?

Also, I apologize if I offended anyone, I didn't mean to generalize you all as jerks, I was only saying I don't want any of that here. You're all pretty great so far and I thank you for the help (please keep it coming :a-wink: )

The price difference of a 300fps Sniper Rifle vs a 600fps Sniper Rifle is a factor of 4. If you can drop 800.00 in a sniper rifle...then you will truly have something. If not...you just have a bolt action rifle.

Gas is inconsistent in cooler temps. They are finicky unless you have a HPa rig or have prepped for the temp you play in. At this stage in your Airsoft career...I would pass it over. Because if you think the class of weapons is confusing. Getting into thermodynamics on how to make your GBBP/S/R work is a whole new can of worms.

8mm in a gun that you won't fire at someone outside of 50ft

sounds like a great idea

We have people that use it like a sniper rifle where they don't fire it at people closer than 50 feet. And if you load .27's in them...and use a low power gas, its perfectly safe for under 50' use.

I would just recommend to the goggle only guys to go full face when they oppose an 8mm of any sort.

Edited by Guges Mk3

Honestly man, stay away from the sniper rifles for your first gun. Get yourself a ~$200 AEG, and learn the game and such. I think it's your best choice right now. You'll love it, trust me.

Guest alberty

I would not say shotguns are trash at all, but they are best in CQB environments. Yes, it's not like you need any more than 1 BB to get someone out, but any deficiencies that people may claim with the airsoft shotgun platform, like rate of fire, reloads, range, spread, etc...can be overcome when you bring everything closer within the CQB environment.

I'd call them disadvantages more than deficiencies. You shouldn't be complaining about say rate of fire when you go for a pump-action tri-shot, for example.

A good G&P M4 will never let you down. The amazing external quality out of the box, fair internal performance, and amount of upgrade possibilities make it a wonderful place to start. Snipers aren't worth jack sh** unless you drop a few hundred bucks on upgrades, and even then you'll be at a serious fire rate disadvantage with hardly any range advantage to make up for it.

Shotguns are actually insanely fun, and a great challenge going against people with AEGs. However, they are only fun in smaller fields or areas of those fields. If your field is a huge, deep, thick forest, you will quickly wish you had more BBs at once to get through the brush and keep heads down. On the other hand, if there are lots of buildings at your field and not much brush, you could be a nightmare for the other team. Biggest downside of many shotguns is the lack of aftermarket parts. Wanna upgrade? Tough. Wanna fix a broken part and not buy a new gun? Tough. However, a decent shotty is $50, and a decent AEG is ~$225. You decide.

Overall, a G&P M4 would be a good place to start for you. Get some MAG brand midcap magazine (~100 rounds per mag), some G&G, Elite Force, Goldenball, etc. .25g BBs, and some nice face and eye protection, and an Elite brand 9.6v battery and a smart charger and you'll be set. DO NOT GO CHEAP ON EYE PRO. Cheap eye pro fogs and is very uncomfortable and makes your fun airsoft skirmish turn into a day in hell where you get shot at from all over because you can't see. $50 goggles last forever and will make you so happy.

Hmmm, alright. I'll consider getting a shotgun after I get an assault and/or sniper :P Could anyone recommend any websites to buy from for me? I've seen airsoftgi.com recommended and praised a lot, but a lot of their guns are crazy-high in price. A lot of them are reasonable, yes, but it seems Airsoft Megastore is cheaper, and the guns on there have pretty good reviews, but I've heard they're somewhat unreliable and Airsoft GI is better.

Hmmm, alright. I'll consider getting a shotgun after I get an assault and/or sniper :P Could anyone recommend any websites to buy from for me? I've seen airsoftgi.com recommended and praised a lot, but a lot of their guns are crazy-high in price. A lot of them are reasonable, yes, but it seems Airsoft Megastore is cheaper, and the guns on there have pretty good reviews, but I've heard they're somewhat unreliable and Airsoft GI is better.

www.evike.com.

Use the coupon code "VGHS" after check out for an additional 20% off.

DO NOT USE AIRSOFT MEGASTORE!!! Unreliable doesn't even begin to describe it.

AirsoftGi and Evike have great prices and coupon codes, and I've heard stories about crappy customer service on Evike, but I've used them probably 30 times and never had a problem. I actually really like AirsoftAtlanta, their shipping and customer service are fantastic.

they all seem to mess up, the difference is how often and quality of response to said messups. Megastore seems to not like fixing their messups but I haven't been burned except for once getting a black bag of bbs instead of white. I've ordered lots of stuff from GI and have never had any issues. Evike has a bad track record with guns getting shipped badly, defective items going out, listing items as in stock when they're not etc and their customer service takes ages to get back to you but they do eventually fix it when they goof. Imo GI>Evike=Megastore but GI has less selection and less in stock.

Imo GI>Evike=Megastore but GI has less selection and less in stock.

Yeah, that's my problem with GI. There's not much of a selection and I hate that even though it makes it a little less over-whelming. I just love having the selection. And plus, unless it's an extremely popular gun, there's almost never a review or more than 1 review. That really bugs me, since I prefer to go off of at least 3+ people. Oh, and also, GI seems to have at LEAST half their "selection" out of stock or discontinued... and that really irritates me. Megastore is extremely tempting to buy from, so what's so bad about them? I know Bomb said they have bad customer service, so that definitely does suck if I were to need it.

Guest alberty
Yeah, that's my problem with GI. There's not much of a selection and I hate that even though it makes it a little less over-whelming. I just love having the selection. And plus, unless it's an extremely popular gun, there's almost never a review or more than 1 review. That really bugs me, since I prefer to go off of at least 3+ people. Oh, and also, GI seems to have at LEAST half their "selection" out of stock or discontinued... and that really irritates me. Megastore is extremely tempting to buy from, so what's so bad about them? I know Bomb said they have bad customer service, so that definitely does suck if I were to need it.

Don't confide in customer reviews on those airsoft retailers. You have to realize that reviews on products on their site:

- are only the ones they select/approve of. They can deliberately choose not to post certain submitted reviews, such as ones that are unfavorable for sales

- are usually written by someone who doesn't really know much about airsoft. For example "This gun is awesome it makes my friends bleed in my backyward warz." isn't going to help me

- aren't really a review rather than just mindless praise or bashing. For example "This gun is great it pops soda cans" or "This gun sucks my friend stepped on it and it broke"

Evike also has a lot of products that are out of stock or discontinued, not just Airsoft GI.

Also, Airsoft Megastore doesn't actually have huge discounted prices, as what they claim the "MSRP" or whatever of a product is is like a 100% inflation of the price that all retailers actually sell it for. They do have price cuts sometimes, but so do other retailers, they are no special.

from what I've seen from accounts/etc when they do mess up by sending you a broken gun/wrong stuff, they make it nearly impossible for you to get that sorted out properly. The fuckups are less frequent than evike but the handling of them is worse.

Reviews on the retail sites are very very bad. 90% of the people that make them are buying their first gun and think anything better than an LPEG is amazing. You'll get comments like "externals are rock solid" on abs plastik guns I wouldn't row a boat with. Some reviews are legit, the easy way to tell is did they list any cons, and are those cons nonsensical or not? Every gun has cons. My RS svd has the best externals of any airsoft or real gun I have ever held and it has cons too. The mag release is extremely tight making mag changes overly demanding and the handguard retainer needs to be hammered out to get the battery in and out. An example of a nonsensical con is calling a steel full sized rifle heavy.

As far as retailers chucking them out goes, it doesn't seem like GI does it since they allow 1 star reviews. Evike throws out every bad review on any product. No idea about megastore but their reviews seem to be full of kids asking CAN I USE THIS GUN WITH .12 BBS FOR MOR FPSS

Edited by Bomb has been planted

Yeah, both of you are correct. I saw this one person who listed "the price is too low" as a con, and I flipped a table in rage for 15 minutes of how freakin' stupid of a con that is. And then the heavy thing, yeah that's really stupid too. I mean, no kidding a FULL METAL GUN is heavy. It takes a special kind of genius to tell you that, I'm sure.

But, sadly, reviews is all I can find to go off of on guns. If you guys own any guns that you can find online and can share with me, that'd be great. Just hook me up with the link. If you can't get a link, just put in the model/gun name and I can just copy and paste it and probably get results.

Guest alberty
Yeah, both of you are correct. I saw this one person who listed "the price is too low" as a con, and I flipped a table in rage for 15 minutes of how freakin' stupid of a con that is. And then the heavy thing, yeah that's really stupid too. I mean, no kidding a FULL METAL GUN is heavy. It takes a special kind of genius to tell you that, I'm sure.

But, sadly, reviews is all I can find to go off of on guns. If you guys own any guns that you can find online and can share with me, that'd be great. Just hook me up with the link. If you can't get a link, just put in the model/gun name and I can just copy and paste it and probably get results.

Keep in mind that there on the forum, we have reputable users here who can give you a better judgement on any gun than any of those Yahoo-answer-like reviews can. Another thing that may help is search online for picture/video reviews, by good sources, of certain guns.

For example, a picture/video review by BooliganAirsoft or EpicAirsoftHD is detailed and/or substantiated with proper testing.

For example, a shakey YouTube video by a 12-year-old kid shooting at soda cans in his backyard is probably not a good review.

For example, a shakey YouTube video by a 12-year-old kid shooting at soda cans in his backyard is probably not a good review.

This isn't true, if the kid gives a good review alongside the can shooting I'd find it rather good as long as they did their research.