to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
SecondWind

Your in-game hydration plan

Post up how you keep yourself hydrated at various games/events.

What equipment do you use? How often do you drink? Do you think your hydration plan is good for your particular needs or do you think you could improve on it?

Where I've played, airsoft usually slows down a little during the summer months due to the higher temps and decreased performance of players so I thought this would be a good topic of discussion. Hopefully we learn from each other with regards to what works, what doesn't, etc.

For short games that last under 40 mins I generally don't take any liquids with me but if I do it's usually just a water bottle in my back pocket or wherever I can put it.

For longer games I will use a bladder and fill it based on the duration, temperature, and field of the event. A morning to early afternoon game in the hills during summer means I'm filling my 3L bladder to the brim with a sports drink. If it's something like gatorade I tend to add 6 oz of water for every 20oz bottle I put in to lower the concentration of sugars as my body can't tolerate the level of sugar it has.

For years I used a camelbak bladder but have recently been rocking a source bladder with storm valve. I take a few sips every 10 mins or so if I can. I have found for me, too much water at once can upset my stomach so I go for frequent small intakes of liquids.

95% of the time I will use a sports drink over plain water to keep myself hydrated. As we know more than just water is lost in sweat and using a sports drink that is well tolerated by the body will never hurt, but can definitely help. It is always a plus to stabilize the (airsoft) athlete's sugar, salt, and water levels throughout the duration of exercise. Combined with a good food plan and carefully planned equipment load and set up, I can stay active throughout a longer game where physically more fit players who don't take as good care of their bodies may slow down.

so post up how you keep yourself watered!

I agree, a great topic for this time of year.

I recently picked up the Condor Ronin rig with the hydration carrier. My initial intention was to get it simply for a little more body coverage. Up until now I had simply been tanking up on water and sports drink between rounds.

I am finding it difficult to drink on the field simply because I am not used to having it avalible. I am also trying to figure out the best mouthpiece set up that will work with my gear setup. mesh face guards are great but a hassle to deal with when trying to get a drink lol.

now, don't get me wrong, I am an avid hiker and have a full range of camelbak products and when I was doing field mapping in the desert in july several years ago I was carrying a 3L bladder and a full nalgen bottle to top off the bladder at lunch. many a dat I would still run dry heading back to camp.

I carried a camel-back of sorts that I filled with Gatorade made from the powdered stuff with plenty of cold water. Preferred the Fierce Grape flavor over the others when I was thirsty (never really liked the Punch or Glacier Freeze, and Lemon-Lime isn't the best when I'm really thirsty). I'd sip a mouthful or two every 15-20 minutes depending on the heat and my own activity.

Edited by Dmitri Kalashnikov

You should fill it with Kool-AIDS Dmitri... Taste is everything :a-laugh:

I just run a canteen, I generally don't get too thirsty. Because it's so humid here that breathing in the air gives me water.

Canteen in a canteen case hooked to my backpack straps, filled with Gatorade, take a few gulps when walking back to the respawn, top it off in the staging area between rounds. For longer games I just put Gatorade bottles in the backpack and refill the canteen when it needs it.

Texas is hot as balls in the summer, and humid, so I try to jog instead of sprint, and crouch in the shade whenever I can. If I get shot, I stand in the shade until I get medic'd, or walk back to respawn in the shade. I wear an ATACS AU tshirt instead of ATACS AU jacket, and soak my boonie in cold water in between rounds. I run just a battle belt most of the year anyway, so that helps.

Edited by Adog112

You should fill it with Kool-AIDS Dmitri... Taste is everything

See, Koolaide is just sugar-water with flavor. Gatorade at least has electrolytes for when you sweat off salts and burn carbs.

It's also common-knowledge that spicy food makes you sweat more and is better on hot conditions (which is why hotter climes have cultures with spicier foods). So on the lunch-break I tend to get something with a little kick. As gross as it looks, I actually like the MRE version of Buffalo Chicken, so that works out.

Edited by Dmitri Kalashnikov

Texas is hot as balls in the summer, and humid, so I try to jog instead of sprint, and crouch in the shade whenever I can.

It's been around 95 with 80% humidity for the past month here. I have a SSW so I don't run, I just walk by and shoot anything I see moving in a hostile manner.

I have a hydration pack, but a leaky bite valve means that I've retired it until I can fix/replace it. Instead, I pack a ton of water bottles into my bags that I bring. The games I play are rarely long enough that I feel dehydrated (or even just a dry mouth/throat) unless I play two or three games in a row with no break, so I always have time to spot and rest.

It's easier at the CQB field I usually play at (due to not really having any good long range guns). Along with being air conditioned, they have water fountains. So I've got a literally unlimited supply of hydration between games.