to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
thomasleecht

Suppressed AEG

Changes the release signature thus making your gun quieter. Foamed silencers do work assuming you've taken the right steps to quiet your gearbox/motor. Do these steps first then slap on a foam silencer and you'll have a silent gun. Shim from the bevel, motor adjustment, sorbo and good gear engagement.

I've taken the steps to make a semi quiet gearbox, the silencer with foam does help a lot.

Kinda. If you're close to the shooter, you won't hear much of a difference due to the gearbox. From a distance, you hear "fling fling fling" from the BB leaving the suppressor and that's about it.

Edited by Coyote98

Largely varies from gun to gun. My stock TM SOC16 was nearly silent from a few feet away with a good suppressor. All of my other AEGs were a bit louder, even with the same suppressor.

One thing to keep in mind is that an upgraded AEG (or a ~400fps one) will typically produce more motor whine and gearbox noise than one at 300fps. The work required to silence the 300fps AEG will be much less than one running hotter.

So in general, no, a suppressor alone does not keep an AEG silent. You need to spend some time quieting the gearbox (or start with a gun with a very smooth, quiet gearbox) before a suppressor has much influence on noise. But once you do that, a suppressor can make the gun a decent amount quieter.

Nope.

Most of the noise from the AEG blow guns is from the mechbox and motor. It however changes the release signature of the bb though.

This was actually covered over at ASM a while ago. While you may hear the mechbox noise more when your head is right next to it, downrange the pressure pop carries much farther. Cylinder matching and a muzzle device that doesn't amplify are the two big things that matter down range.

Don't believe me, put a mask on and have someone shoot at you with an overvolumed gun versus a correctly volumed gun.

I suspect that the mock suppressors frequently end up working as amplifiers when they don't have foam. Just like the noveske amplifiers, but most likely with a more narrow focal point due to the more narrow exit. it seems like for a good sound suppressor, you would want a miniaturized bass trap instead of just standard foam, which has a minimal sound dampening effect. I don't know how to do that, though, and I could be completely off. This is very much an amateur understanding of acoustics.

^^^WHAT?! Ummmm no, that would defeat the purpose of a silencer....for it to be effective you want your inner to end where the silencer begins and it must be foam filled. I really wonder where some of you get your answers. Think of it this way, if an aeg is essentially pushing just air, and a polarstar without the gb and motor noise is doing the same, a foamed silencer helps quiet a polarstar and it will do the same for your aeg. Trust me, I've done it with both platforms and yes the aeg was louder but past 40 feet you heard nothing.

Try it with a friend, have him shoot while your 40 feet down range and tell me if a foam silencer helped. Yes, I've done this too...I speak from trial and error experience.