to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
Coyote98

Why Put Tons of Money in Gear?

Sigh ^^^^^ this is what is almost sad. Wild generalizations of which almost all pertain to few of us. Collecting is a fair generalization I guess but still rich no. Not all of replicate military units some just like certain gear and could give a s*** if its used in real combat, and leftover gear is generally owned by the government if it was issued...

As to the jeans in the woods argument... What about the pink tri-color out there? It's camo but you'll be seen easily. These arguments still don't fly and really who give a f*** that your team is BAMP OPR8ER squad. Somebody in jeans could still shoot you. All of us could essentially wear jeans and we would still be able to shoot the same.

Point still being that ego is the problem. Gear doesn't make or break the player, but it can inflate the ego easily. It's the attitude of oh that stupid Newbie lets rape his brains out with our p* set-ups and laugh.

If we want to get to the bottom of all this it starts with becoming a community that is serious about having a good time and is welcoming to those just starting.

Guys, if all equal, except one guy's in jeans and the others in camo playing in a Forrest you cannot tell me the guy with camo doesn't have an advantage.

What it comes down to is the type of game you are attending. I've played at all levels and have finally settled on 18+ 6-8 hour milsim games and prepare and dress accordingly. I've been to cqb games where guys run around in lab coats or hula skirts. I'm not going to make a post about that crap cause they were having fun right along side us "decked"out players.

Btw the comment up above about being military wannabes and being afraid to join is straight up ignorant....we have the upmost respect for those guys so when putting together a kit we do so to the T so as not to make a mockery of them. That comment is what's wrong with dumbass airsofters today, we are running around shooting toy guns with objectives, by your logic we all fall under that category.

Guys, if all equal, except one guy's in jeans and the others in camo playing in a Forrest you cannot tell me the guy with camo doesn't have an advantage.

I played a nice 10v10 in thick woods on saturday. All about concealment and hiding. I probably contributed the most on my team when I wasn't friendly firing due to fog blindness, wearing all black (which doesn't blend in with anything right). The 2 guys on the enemy team that were the toughest competition were wearing all black and the other had a bright green shirt. Most of the multicam/marpat guys were almost a nonfactor. It doesn't mean squat compared to what you do.

Btw the comment up above about being military wannabes and being afraid to join is straight up ignorant....we have the upmost respect for those guys so when putting together a kit we do so to the T so as not to make a mockery of them

do you really think that's how this works? You put on the exact stuff and look tough and ego up and they respect you? Truth is, when you spend more on gear than actual soldiers and start slapping on real unit patches and paste insert special forces here pose pictures on the internet you are making a mockery of them. Take a quick look around the internet and you'll see exactly what they think of airsoft. Most agree that it's useful for force on force training/getting used to handling a firearm in less than ideal conditions but get super pissed or piss themselves laughing at all the peauxsing. If you actually had respect for the abilities these guys have and what that takes you'd realize you're not that and never will be and never could be.

Maybe its just different, but over here the military guys play more milsim games than anything else. In fact they are the ones running it and if there are inconsistencies in your loadout they will tell you to fix it,such as wrong patches. I've never heard a guy who's in the military complain that we had too much gear or to stop dressing like them. In fact, it's only on airsoft forums with topics like these does it getdiscussed. Ask any person in the military who plays airsoft and they could care less, and the guys who are in the military complain about airsoft as a wwhole, not just the gear hoarders so your argument is void. Again, I'd never tell someone to get some actual gear so you shouldn't tell people they are wearing "too" much gear or is "too" expensive.

I'm currently working on an impression and I have full respect for the guys I'm basing my kit on. If you have served in any way I have full respect for that person. Jonsun81 pretty much summed up what I was gona say though.

Isn't that the whole point of it, to pretend to be like 'them' over the weekend? I know there are plenty of weirdos who actually claim to be one of them, but please stop generalizing. All it does is make you look ignorant.

It's really not. Consquence free shoot em up and pretending to be specops delta range force are very disjointed and this assumption that they're one and the same steers a lot of people away and keeps the popularity nice and low.

^^^huh?! Do you actually airsoft or are you a backyard plinker? Do you actually believe half the stuff you say? I mean I hate to be mean but when companies start catering to airsoft, Magpul, colt etc. they know it's not at a loss. Airsoft 8 years ago was dead, now you have monster like Gi Evike airsplat ehobby redwolf churning out sales on guns and gear. I've seen local fields explode in attendence and lion claw games are huge!!! I'm not sure where you play but airsoft in California its bigger than paintball or any other hobby.

Let's get one thing straight, we wear and act like we do out of respect for the military. Airsoft itself was started by guys in the Japanese military and until they put out a petition to stop us from playing its not that big a deal. Maybe you're new to airsoft and don't quite understand what it's all about or had a bad experience with gear heads, but we really aren't that bad : ).

Consquence free shoot em up and pretending to be specops delta range force are very disjointed and this assumption that they're one and the same steers a lot of people away and keeps the popularity nice and low.

The only difference is that in the former you're pretending to be some random person with mismatching kit and a gun. If you're seriously denying the fact that airsoft is a glorified game of make-believe, then stop using realistic looking guns (the core of airsoft).

He's right in the fact not all geardos are a-holes. Very little of them are arrogant about having gear, but those that are arrogant generally get owned by people in jeans and get so pissed they decide not to play for a bit.

Zenocide gets a cookie for being smart. :a-laugh:

Sweet! As long as your mom makes it... Jk Jk lol.

But seriously it has already come to bickering here. What is the point. Ego becomes the problem and I love being a weekend warrior one way or another.

There will be pros and cons to every situation you can list. You don't have to agree and that's not the point if you like gear buy it. If you don't care about gear more power to ya. Not all gear whores are d-bags and not all jeans wears are a-holes. There are tw<AT>ts in both categories and you still haven't proved anything. I just don't get where this argument is going.

Last point being if someone wants gear and asks a question on what to get or what is most functional why not help that person. If they end up not wanting gear and just wearing jeans fine but I believe in helping any who ask appropriately and so should everyone here. If not why bother trolling people. We all start somewhere.

Sweet! As long as your mom makes it... Jk Jk lol.

My momma bakes all my cookies. :a-laugh:

I do agree though, it seems everyone is arguing over the same damn thing. And everybody is WAY overthinking these arguments.

Its true that you can compete with less or more for sure. That being said I must again admit that I err on the side of more when it comes to gear. I am myself guilty of buying real steel gear, but I can definitely say be don't need anything more than conderp (Condor) gear to get through.

Just because I think there is some potential here for a real conversation what are others opinions on real steel gear v. other cheaper gear in terms of comfort, functionality, durability and just general availability?

I think Condor offers an outstanding line of products. At the end of the day we don't generally wear these plate carriers to work everyday and therefore may not require expensive gear. I frequently buy condor gear. I work professionally as a government contractor for USGS as a spelunker. I study caves for a living an have carried a condor backpack for two years across extremely rugged terrain. I love that pack and couldnt be happier, but on the other hand my condor ciras lasted about 15 games before it really began to deteriorate. A for functionality I am a true believe that Condor products are every bit as functional as anything real steel. That being said there are some reel steel companies out there that have outstanding products, HSGI to name one. I will shell out the cash for HSGI but because I like how it functions, but not on the basis they are therefore better in every aspect.

To sum it up I like real steel gear a lot. I think some of the innovation really helps me to perform better. I Believe Condor is an overall better bet for the standard airsofter. Cheap gear based on real products is kinda the platform airsoft was built on and allows people to get close to the real thing without being forced into a $400 JPC...

Once again each to his own. This is just my opinion and can be disregarded if you disagree.

Edited by Zenocide

I like real gear because it is designed from the ground up to be comfortable in all conditions and can be tailored to your body more easily, and there are more variants of real gear so you can get the exact kit you want.

I really don't get butthurt when people do impression loadouts, as long as they don't actually pretend they're in the military.

In all honesty, we shoot plastic pellets at each other in the woods. I like to wear ATACS AU BDUs and HSGI gear when I get shot, you may like to wear jeans and your ACU Crossdraw when you get shot. Either way, I don't care. This thread has turned into geardo bashing, and it is stupid.

It has turned into a bit "We hate geardos" thread. Which is wrong. Very, very wrong.

Talking about real steel gear, I agree on comfort. Out of all the plate carriers I've had, I prefer my father's work PC over Condor just because when it has a bunch of crap on it, it's not tearing into your skin.

I do like Condor's chest rigs, their swivel buckles are cool beans and aren't as obnoxious as regular buckles. And their packs are comfortable and quite strong. I went mountain biking the other day, took my Condor pack, and I crashed horrendously. The only things that weren't broken were my bike and that pack. Pretty strong I think.

Just because I think there is some potential here for a real conversation what are others opinions on real steel gear v. other cheaper gear in terms of comfort, functionality, durability and just general availability?

this all started because I pointed out that loaded body armor/helmets/etc result in sweating to death (summer) and being slower. That's pretty independent of condor vs real brand but actual plates are a killer in the negative direction. Maybe my incoming pantac ak rig will change my mind about expensive-ish gear but I think what I'm buying with that is more the insane mag capacity in a chicom sized package and nothing more.

Edited by Bomb has been planted

The only people I know who wear real plates are dudes in the military or are using it as training to be in the military. I know people use Styrofoam to give it the fuller look bit me myself find it too cumbersome. I do have to note that Pantac gear is put together much better than condor. I started with ncstar gear, condor etc and it held up fine but as soon as I got a Pantac pack the quality difference was quite noticeable. If I gave you $1000 to spend on gear just for airsoft, wouldnt you buy the best stuff? Some people have that option while others will save up for it because in airsoft you get what you pay for 9/10 times. There's nothing wrong with airsofters buying rs gear.

man...it's not that hard. we play tan vs green or yes in some cases we will play US vs RU/terrorist. I suggest you try a game out, it's a step up from the COD gameplays in terms of teamwork/communication but hey, not all of us like to just go out and see how many kills we can get in one game.

I'm not a geardo but just about every bit of kit I own is authentic. Not because I'm trying to pretend to be military or because I just have money to blow but because it just works. I have an Eagle Industries SPC because it meets the needs of the USMC and therefore will exceed my own (I can use it for its actual combat purpose if I ever need to). I have a US Army issue Tactical Assault Panel that I run as a chest rig because it's multicam and built to US Army standards of durability. I wear US Army issue sand boots because they were issued in Iraq and Afghanistan and should have no problem on a midwest airsoft field. I have a number of military combat uniforms in varying camouflages because they are durable, comfortable and have a lot of pockets. I need several camo patterns because my environment changes depending on the season.

Some of my airsoft gear will actually see their real steel uses, too, such as slings, pouches, packs and hydration.

And while I haven't invested in any myself, I can see teams wanting to acquire radios for the sake of communication and other various items to give them a the advantage of teamwork, especially in long games. And number of teams locally are current or former military who want to replicate the gear they used in combat, or wish they had, and see airsoft games as a method to keep their skills honed.

man...it's not that hard. we play tan vs green or yes in some cases we will play US vs RU/terrorist. I suggest you try a game out, it's a step up from the COD gameplays in terms of teamwork/communication but hey, not all of us like to just go out and see how many kills we can get in one game.

I've played a lot of bigger green v tan scenario games, I find it really amusing that the quest for ultimate realism results in multicam/acu m4s vs marpat/woodland m4s. Good teamwork and communication is rare in any setting, blustering loudmouths yelling things they heard in black hawk down without thinking of the consequences (enemy team knows where you are, if you yell covering fire/gogogo/etc they know what you're doing) is a lot more common. And you're thinking CS not COD for your vidya gaymer slight. KDR is everything breh.

^^nope, I'm talking about cod. Games modeled specifically after cod. I hear you about guys yelling on the field to communicate, giving away positions and tactics, but you cannot say that of everyone which seems to be your mistake throughout the thread. Everybody has their idea of playing the game, you should respect that regardless of how stupid you think they are, we are playing pretend no matter how you look at it in the end, whether it's decked out or in jeans.