to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
sniperx2s

middle or index finger?

I used to use my index finger always. but now, in cqb, I pretty much always use my middle finger. I prefer having my hand high on the grip anyways, so that works out really well. Plus I can shoot way faster with my middle than index.

anyone also use their middle finger? any disadvantages to using it compared to index or vice versa?

There's actually a growing school of thought to use the middle finger instead of index particularly for defensive handgun shooting. It's a form of point shooting only your index finger is literally made to instinctively point at your target being freed by the middle finger. From my experience though it suffers in precision as the index finger naturally has better dexterity and fluidity in motion, but that's something that can be overcome by enough practice. I don't do it myself out of consistency because I also use 1911 handguns where the practice is highly not recommended: you could pop the slide lock out (right handed) by accident and cause the gun to jam.

I see no reason to use the index finger for flipping off the other-

Oh, wait, wrong use.

Kidding aside, RC's correct on the index being better for dexterity but also for aiming. My NBBR has a stiff DAO trigger that after prolonged shooting (about +30 rounds in rapid succession) cramps my index finger, and so I'll temporarily switch to my middle finger if need be. Just like my index fingers from using NBB pistols for so long, it would be best to just do a sort of resistance training for having my middle fingers being used as the primary trigger fingers. Of course, for normal airsofters that's little strengthening needed for an AEG, Spring, or GBB trigger. Since I'm a NBB kinda guy used to using long trigger pulls and many times ones with a lot of resistance, it means a considerably greater scale of finger-training.

And yes, depending on the gun you use it may not work. Even if you use a 1911 southpaw, you run the risk of engaging the slide-lock on accident.

Edited by Dmitri Kalashnikov

Guest alberty

Specifically for CQB play in airsoft, I use my middle finger when I'm shooting with my left hand on the trigger so that I can rapid-fire when using my Polarstar setup, same if I were playing airball. I'd only be doing that just because of the context of being in an airsoft or paintball game.

Index finger, the middle finger was not meant for triggers :a-laugh:

In actuality, it's because I'm used to firearms and I wouldn't use my middle finger for those unless I lost my index finger. It's just natural to use the index finger for me.

Index finger. Grips are made for it. For rifles, it's less of an issue since you shouldn't be supporting much of the rifle with your trigger hand anyway. For pistols, you definitely don't want to sacrifice your grip.

I really don't see any advantage to using your middle finger in normal use.

I always use my index finger. I'm quicker that way, and am comfortable like that. You know, that actually reminds me of an episode of NCIS, oddly enough. A guy on there had his index finger cut off by a drug cartel, but he said, and I quote "I can use my thumb". That had to be the stupidest statement I ever heard. There's no way you could do that to good effect. The thumb is for holding the gun, not for firing. You have no grip otherwise. You can always use your middle finger in that case then.

Guest alberty
I always use my index finger. I'm quicker that way, and am comfortable like that. You know, that actually reminds me of an episode of NCIS, oddly enough. A guy on there had his index finger cut off by a drug cartel, but he said, and I quote "I can use my thumb". That had to be the stupidest statement I ever heard. There's no way you could do that to good effect. The thumb is for holding the gun, not for firing. You have no grip otherwise. You can always use your middle finger in that case then.

It's TV, you don't need to expect realistic firearm handling on TV.

I used to use my index finger always. but now, in cqb, I pretty much always use my middle finger. I prefer having my hand high on the grip anyways, so that works out really well. Plus I can shoot way faster with my middle than index.

anyone also use their middle finger? any disadvantages to using it compared to index or vice versa?

I use my index when firing all my guns but my bolt action l96 (then I use my middle) because then I can have my thumb and index on the bolt thus increase my variable rof (snake skin camo for the win)

post-84379-1375160888_thumb.jpg

post-84379-1375161051_thumb.jpg

Edited by KalashMan47

Guest alberty
I use my index when firing all my guns but my bolt action l96 (then I use my middle) because then I can have my thumb and index on the bolt thus increase my variable rof (snake skin camo for the win)

I find with just practice you don't even need to do that to cycle & shoot really fast, try it out.

I find with just practice you don't even need to do that to cycle & shoot really fast, try it out.

Agreed, I can empty my M24 mag in about five seconds. Not that you need that fast of shooting when you're sniping...