to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
TboneH

What happened to Airsoft AUGs?

I've been shopping around for an AUG lately because I really like the way they look and bullpups are just plain awesome. But it got me thinking, what happened to all the AUGs? The only ones I could find that are still on the market are ASG (I've heard this is a JG rebrand? Not sure, but it looks crappy either way) and Tokyo Marui, and I'm not really satisfied with either of those options. I'm also wondering whether I should just try my luck finding a nicer used one, but since they're all off the market it's difficult to get any concrete information on them. Any opinions on Classic Army and G&G AUGs? Are there any other brands I should know about? I'm interested mostly in external quality as I can always go back and upgrade the internals in the future.

Edited by TboneH

Guest alberty

I think the ASG rebrands JG AUGs mostly, but there may have been a CA rebrand at some point in time. Does G&G make an AUG? I haven't seen one personally.

Older TM AEGs just aren't mentioned by retailers a lot anymore since years have passed so you don't hear much about that. The JG clones are alright and usually the most commonly available ones you'll find new or used today. Classic Army is also TM clone but harder to find, and I believe there were both Sportline and Proline versions.

I don't know if the JG or CA make the A1/A2 AUGs anymore either. From JG I've only seen the newer A3/A4 and whatever versions in retailers lately, both unbranded and branded by ASG.

There were never many options for AUGs. All the AEG AUGs out there are a pretty much direct copy of the TM design. TM ones are full plastic, and CA and JG both have (or at some point had) versions that were full plastic as well, but the more common models from them have a metal upper receiver and barrel. Overall since the AUG ends up with having a lot of exposed plastic I would recommend you find a CA one, since the plastic parts on that do have a markedly better finish, and hold up better over time.

CA AUGs are still in production best I know, just fewer retailers carry CA nowadays. Airsplat seems to have them in stock, though you should probably call and check to verify.

edit:

There are also these that have shown up recently on some asia websites - http://www.rsov.com/product.php?langId=1&a...23&cateId=0

I havent heard any feedback about them, but they do have some parts made out of steel, unlike any of the older models, so it may be worth a shot.

Edited by guineypig

Guest alberty

Didn't the Tokyo Marui AUG have a metal upper receiver?

Also the TM High Cycle AUG is a readily-available AUG on the market besides any JGs.

Echo-1 use to or still does make an AUG. I believe they made an A1 and A2 model, not an A3. I own the A2. Good gun, it was my first "good" airsoft gun. It has a full-metal upper/barrel and the lower is a plastic. The only downfall to the AUG is the limited battery space. You pretty much have to get a custom battery made for it.

I got mine about three or four years ago, so who knows if they still make them. I know there was a law-suit of some sort that seized the production of them (like Glock and now recently HK guns). I have yet found an actual store that caries one (walk-in store).

-AUGer

Guest alberty
Echo-1 use to or still does make an AUG. I believe they made an A1 and A2 model, not an A3. I own the A2. Good gun, it was my first "good" airsoft gun. It has a full-metal upper/barrel and the lower is a plastic. The only downfall to the AUG is the limited battery space. You pretty much have to get a custom battery made for it.

I got mine about three or four years ago, so who knows if they still make them. I know there was a law-suit of some sort that seized the production of them (like Glock and now recently HK guns). I have yet found an actual store that caries one (walk-in store).

-AUGer

Echo 1's AUGs were rebranded JG AUGs. The small battery space was carried over from the original TM AUG design in which it was meant mostly for an 8.4v NiMH or NiCD small type battery. Today you can use a good 7.4v lipo battery so you don't need a special configuration NiMH for it.

Echo 1 no longer carries that model. I don't think it was necessarily due to a lawsuit but they just stopped it. Maybe if JG stopped making it, Echo 1 couldn't carry it anymore.

Turns out the G&G AUG was some false information. Well it looks like I'll be going for the CA unless there's any other brands of similar quality. I don't really buy in to the whole TM mystique, and JG is JG, so it's kinda my only option.

You can find used AUGs for a good price, I've just completed a restoration of a JG A1 with a CA gearbox. From what I can find out. Both CA and JG are clones of TM. CA has a better finish and trademarks. JG, however fades due to wear. But a blast of Krylon should take care of that. What you will quickly find is that sourcing parts for any new or used AUG is going to be a pain in the arse. Basic gear box parts are easy. But the rubber parts are harder to come by. What I can say about the battery is, yes you will need a small 9.6v of some kind. I can get a normal M4 crane stock battery in mine, but I don't have the back plate installed keeping the gearbox in place. Also that brings up another point. If you buy used. Make sure the lower receiver isn't cracked in anyway.

Didn't the Tokyo Marui AUG have a metal upper receiver?

Also the TM High Cycle AUG is a readily-available AUG on the market besides any JGs.

I have a TM AUG and yes they have a metal upper receiver, though the base body out and inner consits most of plastic

Guest alberty
I've heard that the only good one is the Tokyo Marui (of course), but even that is one of TM's worst guns...

JG and Classic Army both make AUGs too but I've heard a crap ton of bad stories about them.

The TMs are fine. Maybe people don't like it has much as the other AEGs but it's to the same quality as any other TM AEG. The High Cycle version is a cool new take on it too.