Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticTempest

First AEG

Well after renegadecow was kind enough to direct me to an informatve video that outlined why I shouldn't get a bolt action, I'm wondering what aeg to get.

Price would be 160 or less for the gun and 60 or less for mags, upgrades, etc.

For the gun itself I'm wondering weather I should get an ar or smg. I don't want anything from the ar-15 family though.

Also should I buy a handgun as a secondary?

One last question I have is weather I should get a bullpup. They look awseome and their real life concept is cool but I don't know how that would translate into airsoft.

Thank you all for reading.

For the gun itself I'm wondering weather I should get an ar or smg. I don't want anything from the ar-15 family though.

if you're torn between an AR or SMG a sub carbine is right for you

here's a sweet :censored2: one right in your price range that's not an armalite: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=2903

secondaries are nice for cqb but almost dead weight otherwise unless you have a DMR or something with a minimum engagement distance.

If you do want to get into the m4 family, look at the G&G Combat Machine series. They don't require any upgrades and cost $150.

Nor do they take upgrades well. The Pneumatic Blowback system takes additional material away from a weak design...do not get a pneumatic blow back model if you want a upgrade able AEG.

Edited by Guges Mk3

Guest alberty
Well after renegadecow was kind enough to direct me to an informatve video that outlined why I shouldn't get a bolt action, I'm wondering what aeg to get.

One last question I have is weather I should get a bullpup. They look awseome and their real life concept is cool but I don't know how that would translate into airsoft.

Thank you all for reading.

Hm, an AR but not an AR-15 variant? For an AEG I can only think of the discontinued Classic Army AR-10. You could also look at any commonly available 7.62 derivative like the SR-15/M110 series, available from almost all brands (such as JG, G&P, ARES, CA, etc...). If something that's like an AR feel but isn't, there's SCAR-L, SCAR-H, Masada/ACR and XCR (VFC, DBoys, Magpul PTS, A&K, G&P, CA, AGM, JG, etc...).

For the given price range for an AR non-AR-15 you'd be looking at the cheaper ones from brands like JG, A&K, and DBoys.

I don't recommend all of the bullpup AEGs available. There's some distinct pros and cons to each. When it comes to airsoft, the only strong advantage of a bullpup AEG having the longer inner barrel in a shorter body. Given that hop-up affects the BB flight the most, a long inner barrel should not ultimately be the deciding factor in choosing a gun, unless you are just a fan of longer guns/barrels like me for example.

Nor do they take upgrades well. The Pneumatic Blowback system takes additional material away from a weak design...do not get a pneumatic blow back model if you want a upgrade able AEG.

Not all G&G Combat Machines are EBB. Some are just a regular AEG, which you can upgrade well, internally and externally.

Guest alberty
Not all G&G Combat Machines are EBB. Some are just a regular AEG, which you can upgrade well, internally and externally.

There's just a little name confusion spread out through the community as I've learned. The actual "Combat Machine" M4s are non-blowback M4s, I think often having "CM" in the model product name. Then the ones with the pneumatic blowback assembly seem to go by "GR" in the model product name.

But other factors are similar. The plastics and metals used in both are the same (not counting any parts provided from other makers like a rail system), the gearbox shell material is the same, and most of the internals are the same. The blowback M4's gearbox shell is different because of the blowback assembly and the special anti-reversal latch release feature, and the cylinder is also different than normal for the pneumatic blowback action.

The blowback M4 has a different charging handle that also pops open the spring-loaded dust-cover and the forward assist button pushes the special anti-reversal latch to unwind the gears. The receiver is proprietary for the sake of housing the pneumatic blowback assembly.

Edited by alberty

if you're torn between an AR or SMG a sub carbine is right for you

here's a sweet :censored2: one right in your price range that's not an armalite: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=2903

secondaries are nice for cqb but almost dead weight otherwise unless you have a DMR or something with a minimum engagement distance.

Well I decided to go with the dboys full metal rk-01(the one linked in the post above)

Before I take the plunge I just need to know what and how many mags I should get(and what the cost would be) along with the battery and possibly a spring. Also, what size bb's should I use? I was also wondering if I should buy a vest to carry mags.

Guest alberty
Well I decided to go with the dboys full metal rk-01(the one linked in the post above)

Before I take the plunge I just need to know what and how many mags I should get(and what the cost would be) along with the battery and possibly a spring. Also, what size bb's should I use? I was also wondering if I should buy a vest to carry mags.

0. For mags, if you're just starting and you're okay with using hi-cap magazines, you don't need more than 2-3 (including the 1 that comes with the gun).

1. Why do you need a spring? The stock spring should be giving somewhere about 350-380 FPS with 0.20g BBs, good for field games. But yes you should get a lower power spring if you need to use this for a CQB field that has lower FPS limits.

2. The standard for airsoft is 6mm BB, there's not really any other sizes besides the uncommon 8mm. So you just look at the BB selection from pretty much any retailer. Keep in mind the standard is "6mm" meaning that the BBs will be a few millimeters smaller than that, like "5.95mm" for example.

3. You don't need to buy a vest right away, especially if you have nothing else you need to carry on the field. If you only have like 1 or 2 magazines, no need for gear unless you just want it for carrying your magazines a little more efficiently. For now you could store magazines in your pants pocket at the cheapest case.

If you run hicaps you only really need a couple and a bb bottle to refill them with. If you want to skip the newbie phase and run midcaps to avoid winding and have consistent reliable feeding I would get a pack of 5 MAG 5.45 bakelites from ehobbyasia. They'll be just over $50 with express shipping: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/magazines/aeg-s...elite-5pcs.html

if by what size bbs you mean what weight, .25s are a nice balance between low cost light bbs and heavier bbs that hold energy for longer distances and punch through brush. I like these because they got high marks on a review I read here a while back and are relatively cheap: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=7212 For a battery you want a basic 9.6v NiMh: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=7739

You won't really need a vest if you run hicaps but if you decide to spring for the box of mids it's pretty much required. When I started playing a NCStar crossdraw for <$50 was a good deal but luckily for you GI now has dirt cheap passable rigs: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...products_id=994

Make sure you use a coupon code when you order from GI, and try both sweet16 and g4airsoft (or the current 10% off + freeship code) because more % off but paying for shipping may actually cost you more.

If you run hicaps you only really need a couple and a bb bottle to refill them with. If you want to skip the newbie phase and run midcaps to avoid winding and have consistent reliable feeding I would get a pack of 5 MAG 5.45 bakelites from ehobbyasia. They'll be just over $50 with express shipping: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/magazines/aeg-s...elite-5pcs.html

if by what size bbs you mean what weight, .25s are a nice balance between low cost light bbs and heavier bbs that hold energy for longer distances and punch through brush. I like these because they got high marks on a review I read here a while back and are relatively cheap: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=7212 For a battery you want a basic 9.6v NiMh: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=7739

You won't really need a vest if you run hicaps but if you decide to spring for the box of mids it's pretty much required. When I started playing a NCStar crossdraw for <$50 was a good deal but luckily for you GI now has dirt cheap passable rigs: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...products_id=994

Make sure you use a coupon code when you order from GI, and try both sweet16 and g4airsoft (or the current 10% off + freeship code) because more % off but paying for shipping may actually cost you more.

*in my previous post I accidentally wrote spring, it was supoosed to say sight*

Anyways guys thanks for all the advice but I just came across the lancer tactical ak74u and I'm torn between which one to get. The lancer is almost $70 cheaper which would give me more wiggle room later on with upgrades but I'm not sure if the perfomance dip is too high between the dboys and the lancer. Here's the link: http://www.airsoftgi.com/mobile/product_in...oducts_id=13308

Edited by ChaoticTempest

true you could spend $90 and get the "lancer tactical" (APS rebrand?) which will break and have no resale value. Or you could spend $140 after a coupon code and get a gun with much better internals and externals gun that you can sell on red alliance or just about anywhere for $125 without even trying. The DBoys I linked isn't full metal, it's full steel which is much better than a pot metal gun (which is in turn much better than plastik). Dboys fullsteel also come with a sweet laminated wood instead of typical DBoys carrot wood and are rumored to come with brass 6.03 tightbores. The $50 savings isnt worth the 10fold drop in quality, and chances are if you get the lancer tactical it'll break and you'll need to pay more to repair it/buy a better gun anyways.

true you could spend $90 and get the "lancer tactical" (APS rebrand?) which will break and have no resale value. Or you could spend $140 after a coupon code and get a gun with much better internals and externals gun that you can sell on red alliance or just about anywhere for $125 without even trying. The DBoys I linked isn't full metal, it's full steel which is much better than a pot metal gun (which is in turn much better than plastik). Dboys fullsteel also come with a sweet laminated wood instead of typical DBoys carrot wood and are rumored to come with brass 6.03 tightbores. The $50 savings isnt worth the 10fold drop in quality, and chances are if you get the lancer tactical it'll break and you'll need to pay more to repair it/buy a better gun anyways.

OK, looks like I'm going with the dboys then. Thanks to everyone who helped and gave advice, it made this whole experience much less painful and hassle free. I hope to remain active on the forums so I'll talk to you guys later.