to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
redtail

HALO 3 Battle Rifle - Homebrew custom!

Hey guys!

Name's Redtail, and I make guns. Big, bad, nasty guns, that you won't see anywhere else on the field. It's an enormously fun thing to do, and frankly, I wish more people would do it, because it's awesome to see the things other people build.

And now, I submit for your approval, one BR55-HB Battle Rifle, straight out of HALO 3.

Painted1_zps03243fb3.jpg

Painted2_zpse72e1dff.jpg

Painted3_zps1accea28.jpg

Painted4_zps67779015.jpg

SOme technical data first.

THe gun is made around a cut-down JG Steyr AUG Civilian version, a much better platform than the FAMAS due to the fact that you can still find V3 gearbox parts and will probably be able to for the forseeable future.

Length- 33"

Barrel- 6.03x509mm

Power- 11.1v 2200mAh lithium, two-node "nunchuck" pack

Operating modes- Semiautomatic, self-limiting full-automatic, on-the-fly programmable 2-13rd burst functionality

Magazine- Standard TM-pattern AUG style

Material- ABS plastic plate stock, chemically fused and lovingly hand-cut/routered

Optics- Standard 20mm Weaver rail, 4.75" length. Equipped with Leapers/UTG ITA 3.9" red/green-dot sight w/analog rheostat control

WHat do you think?

A fully functional Halo BR? That is awesome!

I have never seen anything like it! Granted it could use a little body work, but that's just me nitpicking. I'd be extremely proud of that. I'd love to see where this thing goes, as well as any other future projects you might do.

Hey guys!

Name's Redtail, and I make guns. Big, bad, nasty guns, that you won't see anywhere else on the field. It's an enormously fun thing to do, and frankly, I wish more people would do it, because it's awesome to see the things other people build.

And now, I submit for your approval, one BR55-HB Battle Rifle, straight out of HALO 3.

Painted1_zps03243fb3.jpg

Painted2_zpse72e1dff.jpg

Painted3_zps1accea28.jpg

Painted4_zps67779015.jpg

SOme technical data first.

THe gun is made around a cut-down JG Steyr AUG Civilian version, a much better platform than the FAMAS due to the fact that you can still find V3 gearbox parts and will probably be able to for the forseeable future.

Length- 33"

Barrel- 6.03x509mm

Power- 11.1v 2200mAh lithium, two-node "nunchuck" pack

Operating modes- Semiautomatic, self-limiting full-automatic, on-the-fly programmable 2-13rd burst functionality

Magazine- Standard TM-pattern AUG style

Material- ABS plastic plate stock, chemically fused and lovingly hand-cut/routered

Optics- Standard 20mm Weaver rail, 4.75" length. Equipped with Leapers/UTG ITA 3.9" red/green-dot sight w/analog rheostat control

WHat do you think?

Yo bring that bad boy along with a Master Chief suit and god dang-it son you just won yourself a best outfit award. That is a fantastic job you did. How long did the whole project take you? Would you make more to sell if you had buyers?

Yo bring that bad boy along with a Master Chief suit and god dang-it son you just won yourself a best outfit award. That is a fantastic job you did. How long did the whole project take you? Would you make more to sell if you had buyers?

I'm working on some things right now. And I absolutely would make more if I had buyers. Are you interested?

The gun just survived a pretty horrific spill during a shakedown run this last weekend, showed me where the last remaining vulnerability was, in a very weak factory mag release tab. I've since replaced the shorn-off plastic tabs with a solid plate of brass made from a cylinder I flattened out. Couldn't find a hammer at the game so I ran over it with my car and then "borrowed" a parking stopper from behind another car to use to smooth out the surface by smashing the mostly-flat cylinder against another parking bumper. This took no small amount of time or effory, but the system works a lot better than the old one on mag release, but due to a geometry flaw, no longer allows for slam insertion. This will be remedied shortly.

Engineering the gun took about a month and a half. I could probably do another one in about a month's time, but if I had access to a CNC router table then it would be a lot faster.

As it stands, if I could do about three or four at once, that'd really help cut my costs on labor.

As it stands, if I could do about three or four at once, that'd really help cut my costs on labor.

I think the interest is there, but I believe an actual said price would determine whether they would sell or not.

PP

I think the interest is there, but I believe an actual said price would determine whether they would sell or not.

PP

If I had to give a flat price right now, I'd say $850, but like I said, that number drops when I have more to build, and there's a nonrefundable deposit for materials of $350. Of coursethat's $150 cheaper if you find a JG Steyr AUG for me to use as the base gun and ship it my way. Internal upgrades are extra, base model includes metal bushings but no spring upgrades or burst computer. If that number doesn't work for you, then PM me and maybe we can work out a deal.

How much for just the body kit? I can find my own internals for the whole sha-bang and have it use .308 mags like the real one.

I'mafraid that the AUG is basically the skeleton of the thing. What you're asking would be tantamount to asking to have a G&P Pulse RIfle kit to mount on an M16 core. It'd be super cool if I could do a drop-in kit! Unfortunately that'd be awfully tricky to do and would require the buyer to very precisely mill-down an AUG to fit inside.

This is a bit less like a bolt-on body kit and more of a total reconstruction.

Let me elaborate by showing you how I build it.

First I had to decide on a base gun. I had a lot of factors going into the decision. How much will it cost? Can I get upgradeable and replacement parts for the innards? What's it made of, and can I work with the material?

My first idea was to use a plastic-bodied FAMAS rifle, but the reason I avoided this was twofold. For one, the FAMAS has a very complicated shape and would be difficult to fuse plastic plate to, Second, the design is so old that nobody makes replacement parts or magazines for it anymore, which means that I wouldn't be able to service my creation after building it.

I settled on an inexpensive Steyr AUG Civilian model rifle that featured select-fire capability, a modular gearbox, and plentiful aftermarket magazines to play with.

Stock photo for reference:

13655-thickbox.jpg

The BR55 for comparison:

BR55BattleRifleAngles-transparent.png

The first step was to draw out some concept work. Most of this didn't end up getting used, as it would have badly interfered with the way the magazine release works with the magazine. I'm leery to make a mechanical part like this, just yet, due to issues with the precision of my tools.

It helps to have an idea before you start, even if that idea changes.

BR55001.jpg

The next step was to take and hacksaw off any part that I didn't need or want, in order to streamline the build process.

DSCN2129_zps5921e189.jpg

After this was done, I started framing the rear of the receiver and added an extension to the existing magazine release.

DSCN2132_zpse50da1a8.jpg

When that was done, it was time to start building the cheek rest. SInce this gun is getting knocked around a bit, on the field, I added a bulkhead reinforcement everywhere the build stopped, started, or changed direction.

DSCN2133_zpse7216fe2.jpg

Then came framing out the sides with flat plate stock, machining out holes with my Dremel to ensure that I'd be able to disassemble the gun again for maintenance or upgrades once I finished.

DSCN2138_zps609c63cc.jpg

THen some cosmetic detailing, the siderails in particular, along with some reinforcement to the side of the stock. THis was especially necessary given how much of the original gun I'd just cut away.

DSCN2140_zpsab2dcf28.jpg

Skip ahead a week and I'd begun to build the front half of the gun from scratch, given that there was no base to work from. This proved a bit tricky, but it looks and feels solid at this point.

DSCN2146_zps8a440afd.jpg

DSCN2148_zps43a5cfde.jpg

And as of the end of the last wave of construction, I'd framed out the sides of the front end, cleaned up the interface, and devised a way to attach and remove a foregrip to allow for convenient battery placement inside the gun. At this point the gun is functional, but unfinished cosmetically.

DSCN2160_zpsa9553516.jpg

Not long ago I picked this project up again, we'll call it one month ago. In between then and now were almost three weeks of "vacation" which I was none too pleased to be stuck with.

july201_zps74ae2968.jpg

Neatened up the carry rail and fixed the front end, finished my milling and drilling. At this point it's mostly the right shape.

Three weeks later and "vacation" is finally done. Got right to work on her, filling voids and imperfections with Bond-O glazing putty. I haven't got pictures of this, as I was doing everything in my power to avoid human contact after two weeks trapped in a hotel room with my overly-amorous brother and his neurotic girlfriend, and my homicidal, exceedingly hormonal, and willfully stupid sister, and a cumulative six days in a minivan with them.

In one night I detailed, sanded and painted the thing, to produce what I have right now.

Painted1_zps03243fb3.jpg

Velocity is right around 340-350 with .20g pellets, just a hair over 1j output power. Works great with .25's as long as they're not biodegradeable. We had some trouble with the Biovals that we were using over the weekend.

And to answer the rest of your question, PretzelMan, I started last November, put it down early December, and didn't pick it up again until about three weeks ago.