Sign in to follow this  
JakeMnz

Which CQB gun should I buy?

Okay so I'll post the links to each gun and I'll include what I like and dislike about them. Please let me know what you think would be a better choice.

Lancer Tactical Licensed Knight's Armament KAC PDW Airsoft AEG Rifle

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/9227-lance...-uka-lt-08.aspx

Pros: Nice look, good FPS, accurate, good rpm, full metal gearbox, comes with a 300rd mag.

Cons: The stock looks like it could break very easily, garbage iron sights, orange tip is unremovable and cheap looking, I can only buy a 90rd spare mag, pretty sure the battery is held in the flashlight on the side of the barrel and that kinda makes it look ugly and cheap.

320 FPS A&K M4 Stubby CQB AEG Rifle w/ Crane Stock - Full Metal Gearbox

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/8357-m4-st...r-m4stubby.aspx

Pros: Nice look, full metal gearbox, very nice stock, I can buy any size mag, good sights (it does come with a rear sight, but it's not in the pictures.)

Cons: Sort of low FPS, smaller than it looks, looks like it's a bit lower quality.

I'd spend more money but I'm on a budget and I don't airsoft a whole lot. I just want a nice gun that I can use with my friends.

If you have a gun that would be better that costs $120 or less, let me know and please add a link.

*No guns from evike, redwolf, airsplat, or airsoftgi.

Okay so I'll post the links to each gun and I'll include what I like and dislike about them. Please let me know what you think would be a better choice.

Pros: Nice look, good FPS, accurate, good rpm, full metal gearbox, comes with a 300rd mag.

Cons: The stock looks like it could break very easily, garbage iron sights, orange tip is unremovable and cheap looking, I can only buy a 90rd spare mag, pretty sure the battery is held in the flashlight on the side of the barrel and that kinda makes it look ugly and cheap.

320 FPS A&K M4 Stubby CQB AEG Rifle w/ Crane Stock - Full Metal Gearbox

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/8357-m4-st...r-m4stubby.aspx

Pros: Nice look, full metal gearbox, very nice stock, I can buy any size mag, good sights (it does come with a rear sight, but it's not in the pictures.)

Cons: Sort of low FPS, smaller than it looks, looks like it's a bit lower quality.

I'd spend more money but I'm on a budget and I don't airsoft a whole lot. I just want a nice gun that I can use with my friends.

If you have a gun that would be better that costs $120 or less, let me know and please add a link.

*No guns from evike, redwolf, airsplat, or airsoftgi.

I highly recommend you getting a SRC M4 which is the sport line edition. Full metal gearbox. comes with 300rd mag. Comes with 5000 TSD .20g bb's, charger, battery, glasses, and front sight adjuster. very good deal. These things are very cheap, and come with very good internals. Good rate of fire, and very light weight. They are also fully TM compatible. The plastic is very reinforced nylon fiber plastic. I bought one for around 110 bucks with free shipping off of eBay from a store. The one I bought was the TSD SRC M4 (TAN). It comes almost fully upgraded. It has a 6mm steel bushing gearbox with a brass cylinder head, air seal nozzle, and perfect air seal. It also comes with a very accurate aluminum outer, and inner barrel. Just make sure to tighten the two piece outer barrels screws and it will never wobble. It shoots around 350 due to perfect air seal. Sometimes it can go as high as 353fps. After you shoot a couple of hundred rounds, it will be under 350. It comes with an m100 spring. Just make sure to buy src mags only if you buy the gun, unless you like to modify mags, such as elite mags. Don't buy elite mags for this gun, they will only fit if you jam them in. The battery is held in the hand guard, but if you want bigger batteries, just wire it to the rear, and then buy a 4$ battery pouch and put it on the recommended side of your stock. Hope you found this helpful.

Guest alberty

It doesn't seem like you like this. Why consider it?

It is compatible with standard M4 AEG mags. It is not restricted to a proprietary/unique magazine.

The selling point of that AEG is that you get decent internals and cheap externals to save on cost. It also comes with a battery and charger. It's basically the answer to all of those airsofters who wanted to stay around $100 for a first gun.

There is no flashlight on the side of the barrel. What you're seeing is a replica PEQ attachment that houses the battery. However, even on the expensive VFC PDW AEG, it also uses a PEQ box. So even the $400 PDW does the same thing, don't worry about it.

I highly recommend you getting a SRC M4 which is the sport line edition. Full metal gearbox. comes with 300rd mag. Comes with 5000 TSD .20g bb's, charger, battery, glasses, and front sight adjuster. very good deal. These things are very cheap, and come with very good internals. Good rate of fire, and very light weight. They are also fully TM compatible. The plastic is very reinforced nylon fiber plastic. I bought one for around 110 bucks with free shipping off of eBay from a store. The one I bought was the TSD SRC M4 (TAN). It comes almost fully upgraded. It has a 6mm steel bushing gearbox with a brass cylinder head, air seal nozzle, and perfect air seal. It also comes with a very accurate aluminum outer, and inner barrel. Just make sure to tighten the two piece outer barrels screws and it will never wobble. It shoots around 350 due to perfect air seal. Sometimes it can go as high as 353fps. After you shoot a couple of hundred rounds, it will be under 350. It comes with an m100 spring. Just make sure to buy src mags only if you buy the gun, unless you like to modify mags, such as elite mags. Don't buy elite mags for this gun, they will only fit if you jam them in. The battery is held in the hand guard, but if you want bigger batteries, just wire it to the rear, and then buy a 4$ battery pouch and put it on the recommended side of your stock. Hope you found this helpful.

I know you are proud of your first purchase, but you have much to learn and SRC.

"It comes almost fully upgraded". Do you know what upgrade means?

Definition:

raise (something) to a higher standard, in particular improve (equipment or machinery) by adding or replacing components.

Key word is "Replacing". If you AEG came with the items inside, it means it is “Stock”. Don't fall for marketing proganda. Like, AEG comes "Pre-upgraded" Pre = Before, Upgrade = improvement by replacement. Pre-Upgraded = Before an improvement by replacing parts = "Stock"

“…aluminum…inner barrel”

Aluminum inner barrels are not good…I would not gush about it.

“It shoots around 350 due to perfect air seal” – No it shoots 350 due to the spring and the compression components combined. Change the spring and the AEG even with perfect compression will not shoot 350fps.

Now with that go play with your SRC and have fun!

Guest alberty
A&K...far better than any APS AEG...Lancer is made by APS...and you can use regular STANAG in that AEG...the head is the same.

On this note, are you sure this Lancer Tactical PDW is made by APS? I thought APS AEGs are made in Hong Kong mostly, and this PDW has the Made in China stickers on it.

Thanks everyone, I think I'll go with the A&K. I'm still a little unsure, but it seems like a better choice.

I wanted the PDW over the A&K because it has a higher FPS and has review videos whereas with the A&K I couldn't find any. The thing about the PDW is that I'd feel so cautious and extra careful with it because it looks like it breaks so easily, but the A&K is sturdier and much more customizable. If there's a way to increase a gun's FPS without changing the gearbox, please tell me because I don't want to be stuck with 290-320 FPS. Thanks!

EDIT*

I found this M4, it's not big so it will make a pretty good CQB gun, but can also shoot good range if I need it too. I just want to know if you guys would suggest this over the A&K, since it's DBoys. I usually like the quality of DBoys guns, but they do have an infamous problem of falling apart or having loose mags. I had a Scar from them and after about a month, the side rails fell off and the rubber on the stock fell off as well, plus the mag wobbled a lot. So yeah, once again, which do you prefer and do you have any other suggestions?

390 FPS DBoys M4 RIS Metal Gearbox Automatic CQB AEG Rifle w/ Tactical Foregrip and Rail Covers:

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/6485-dboys...-bi-mx-12b.aspx

Edited by JakeMnz

One fairly easy way to tune up the fps of a gun is to add a longer inner barrel. It will add about 10-20 fps depending on your original barrel length, and the length of the new barrel. However, since it's a CQB gun, you would not want to make the barrel that long, as it is harder to sneak around corners that way. As the new inner barrel will pet rude the existing outer barrel, you could either buy a longer outer barrel, or to save money, buy a barrel extension like a mock suppresser.

Having a battery with a higher discharge rate also helps, but having too high a discharge rate can also damage your gun.

Thanks for that, I'll keep that in mind.

Regarding the choice of my gun, I've decided to go with one of these two:

I decided I really won't need a CQB since I usually do matches in the woods.

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=4602

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=14322

I really like the AUG, but its internals aren't superb. The AK is also really nice and customizable, but the AUG is too. I don't prefer one over the other (That's a lie, I kinda like the AUG better, but I can get a free chest rig with the AK), but what do you guys think?

(This will be my final change of mind, I promise lol).

OH GOD A TACTICAL AK! WHY???

All kidding aside, I would get the AK. CM.028 isn't the best(it's the lowest end), but the guns are tanks for being that cheap and beat most any other gun in that price range.

OH GOD A TACTICAL AK! WHY???

Yeah I know, I just prefer to have a RIS.

ANYWAYS. I changed my mind again like I promised I wouldn't. My budget was raised a little bit and I'm left with these two choices.

AMA M4 Full Metal!

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/4378-airso...-fm012-blk.aspx

Pros: Full metal, RIS everywhere..even on the stock..Fantastic reviews, good FPS, great ROF, threaded barrel.

Cons: Long barrel (Short isn't on sale). Not much cons.

This really odd looking AK..

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/4692-ak47-...-jg-0516tu.aspx

Pros: Nice weight, nice look, great FPS, great ROF, great reviews, RIS, JG super high torque motor, version 3 gearbox.

Cons: Reciever isn't metal, just plated with a thin sheet of it, not threaded, stock not adjustable, sights don't look removable.

I honestly don't prefer one over the other, right now I like the M4 more, but in 5 minutes I'll like the AK more. So this is the last choice, I promise lol, please weigh in and tell me what you think is better.

*I need a gun that is great for the woods, but good for surprise CQBs when I move around a tree or path.

Guest alberty
ehhh... I was finding my full size AK-74 too big for comfort in cqb this weekend. Disagree.

My RPK room-clearing disagrees!

JakeMnz, no one has mentioned it yet, but FPS is not a factor of quality when you are looking to buy a good AEG. What's more important is the quality of the hop-up action in the gun you get, or tuning the hop-up action after buying the gun. You could take a stock gun shooting 400 FPS but if its hop sucks, BBs will be curving here and there and you won't be having a good effective range.

A carbine is a carbine, if your having issues maneuvering in CQB...its not the weapon...its you.

Yes, it is me, I know this. I'm very uncomfortable with a gun that has a barrel that's too long. I always feel that I'll turn around too fast and hit it against a tree or corner.

Anyways, yes I know the FPS isn't everything, I'm just not a fan of guns that don't shoot 350+

After watching a few review videos and reading more into the guns, I think I'll be going with the AK Hybrid. It's a much nicer shooter and it's not actually as big as I thought it was. Plus with that gun, CQB doesn't look like a huge problem cause who would want to get close to someone with that? Lol

Edited by JakeMnz

Guest alberty
After watching a few review videos and reading more into the guns, I think I'll be going with the AK Hybrid. It's a much nicer shooter and it's not actually as big as I thought it was. Plus with that gun, CQB doesn't look like a huge problem cause who would want to get close to someone with that? Lol

Are you talking about the JG "AK Hybrid" gun? I don't recommend that one. I worked on one a while ago, and it's one of JG's older models. The gearbox has typical clone internals including plastic bushings and plastic spring guide. The front end may look cool, but is an extremely heavy pot metal entirely, and there's a little bit of wobble from the one I held.

Edited by alberty

One fairly easy way to tune up the fps of a gun is to add a longer inner barrel. It will add about 10-20 fps depending on your original barrel length, and the length of the new barrel. However, since it's a CQB gun, you would not want to make the barrel that long, as it is harder to sneak around corners that way. As the new inner barrel will pet rude the existing outer barrel, you could either buy a longer outer barrel, or to save money, buy a barrel extension like a mock suppresser.

Having a battery with a higher discharge rate also helps, but having too high a discharge rate can also damage your gun.

Also everything state above is not always true. Especially the bit about a high discharge battery increasing FPS.

Are you talking about the JG "AK Hybrid" gun? I don't recommend that one. I worked on one a while ago, and it's one of JG's older models. The gearbox has typical clone internals including plastic bushings and plastic spring guide. The front end may look cool, but is an extremely heavy pot metal entirely, and there's a little bit of wobble from the one I held.

So are you saying the M4 would be a better choice?

Feel free by the way to give links to any suggestions you have.

My RPK room-clearing disagrees!

I've done that too, and I've fired my RPK with my patented afrikan style (right hand on trigger/grip, left on back of stock) over cover and around weak side corners. It's not that it can't be done it's that handling such a huge gun in less than ideal situations (like all the weird things you will be forced to do if you're a decent CQB player) is a pain in the :censored2:. I could easily see myself rushing faster and snap/weird shooting better with something smaller and lighter.

Guest alberty
So are you saying the M4 would be a better choice?

Feel free by the way to give links to any suggestions you have.

I don't recommend that either (I haven't read through the rest of your thread, sorry). That is a rebranded APS M4 which has some proprietary parts, which can cause trouble if something certain breaks.

I've done that too, and I've fired my RPK with my patented afrikan style (right hand on trigger/grip, left on back of stock) over cover and around weak side corners. It's not that it can't be done it's that handling such a huge gun in less than ideal situations (like all the weird things you will be forced to do if you're a decent CQB player) is a pain in the :censored2:. I could easily see myself rushing faster and snap/weird shooting better with something smaller and lighter.

Yes agreed.

Tell ya what...I am prepping for a local SWAP meet.

I will sell you a LCT M4 AEG for 150.00 shipped. Batteries, charger and spare mags in a 50.00 bundle. This is a Hota/B6 class charger charger, it will last you for your entire Airsoft days.

Pictures of the LCT M4 is out there....plain jane M4...no marks.

Tell ya what...I am prepping for a local SWAP meet.

I will sell you a LCT M4 AEG for 150.00 shipped. Batteries, charger and spare mags in a 50.00 bundle. This is a Hota/B6 class charger charger, it will last you for your entire Airsoft days.

Pictures of the LCT M4 is out there....plain jane M4...no marks.

I appreciate the offer, the gun is really nice, however my budget is $150 so I want to spend a little less so I can also buy some gear. In all honesty, I think I'll go with the AK. You guys said it has problems, but I think it will do the job perfectly for me.

Seems like everything he lists is implying it will increase FPS. Of which the battery part is not true, especially the part of High DC can damage your gun. Which is absolutely false.

He never said a high discharge battery increases FPS...you are way too critical of people.

Correcting incorrect info is my favorite thing to do...for 15 years of ad nauseum...thank you interweb for propagating the false truths and old facts...

Edited by Guges Mk3

Guest alberty

If you keep changing your mind and making your own choices, you're better off just sticking with your own decision then. We've given you a few directions and pointers but the buying decision is up to you since you don't seem to be 100% inclined towards some of the suggestions we've given you.

It's not that I don't appreciate the suggestions you guys give me, it's just that my budget keeps going up a little bit. If my budget was still $100, I'd be going with the A&K snubby like you all suggested I do. The AK that I found just went up on sale so I thought it would be a great deal. I'm however not going to get it because I talked to a close friend of mine who had the same model and it had a bad fuse problem and the internals broke down really quickly. I've decided to go with this M4.

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/2865-ANK-P...al-Gearbox.aspx

Good price, almost full metal, full metal gearbox, and very customizable. I'll be putting in a 9.6v 2000 MAH battery in it and a 190mm suppressor on it as well.

Thanks for helping out, even though I ended up finding a gun on my own, I appreciate you guys giving your input and providing me with some information.

It's not that I don't appreciate the suggestions you guys give me, it's just that my budget keeps going up a little bit. If my budget was still $100, I'd be going with the A&K snubby like you all suggested I do. The AK that I found just went up on sale so I thought it would be a great deal. I'm however not going to get it because I talked to a close friend of mine who had the same model and it had a bad fuse problem and the internals broke down really quickly. I've decided to go with this M4.

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/2865-ANK-P...al-Gearbox.aspx

Good price, almost full metal, full metal gearbox, and very customizable. I'll be putting in a 9.6v 2000 MAH battery in it and a 190mm suppressor on it as well.

Thanks for helping out, even though I ended up finding a gun on my own, I appreciate you guys giving your input and providing me with some information.

Full metal means nothing if it is low grade metal...FYI.

9.6V 2000mah? Why? These are one of the WORST cells on the market. 9.6V cell count at barely decent 8.4V Cell count performance.

4/5A cells are terrible...stay with 2/3A

9.6V 2000mah? Why? These are one of the WORST cells on the market. 9.6V cell count at barely decent 8.4V Cell count performance.

4/5A cells are terrible...stay with 2/3A

Riiiight, so you're going to try to tell me that the 8.4v battery that comes with the gun is better than the 9.6v I got? I may not be super knowledgeable about airsoft and their internals, but I do know that a higher voltage produces more power which will slightly increase ROF and a higher miliamp will allow the gun to shoot longer before the battery needs to be charged again.

Riiiight, so you're going to try to tell me that the 8.4v battery that comes with the gun is better than the 9.6v I got? I may not be super knowledgeable about airsoft and their internals, but I do know that a higher voltage produces more power which will slightly increase ROF and a higher miliamp will allow the gun to shoot longer before the battery needs to be charged again.

power output = V*I. Raise voltage and drop current and you have a net of 0. Guges is apparently claiming that 4/5 cells either transfer less current or have a lot more internal resistance (which drops output voltage when current is flowing).

By your logic, a V8 Engine will always have more power than say a 6 Cylinder engine...and most people know how wrong that is. Example 1992 GM 4.1L V8 vs 1992 BMW (USA Motor)3.0L I6...who wins? BMW! By 110BHP! GM 130BHP, BMW 240BHP

I am not trying to belittle you. I am trying to keep you from making a mistake and paying for it literally.

So...when buying a battery you need to know not all batteries are created EQUAL. 9.6V is a MINIMUM rating of voltage under no load. But under LOAD from an AEG. you will get less voltage if the pack has a HIGH INTERNAL RESISTANCE in which case it will RESTRICT flow of voltage and you will have LESS power than a HIGH DISCHARGE pack that has LOW INTERNAL RESISTANCE that will allow better voltage flow. Also some packs have higher VOLTAGE per cell.

Case in point TWO 2/3A cell packs, the most common mini packs out there.

278878d1193490230-elite-1500mah-cell-elite1500_vs_ib1400.jpg

One has higher voltage under the SAME load. Which means your AEG will fire FASTER.

It has been known that the 2000mah cells for Airsoft in NIMH are Sub-par, unless you get the ones made by Gold Peak. However, those cells are not commonly found in Airsoft due to their high price point.

And if you have a Golden Eagle 1200mah in 8.4V. Yeah...it could give you a higher ROF than your 4/5A 2000mah pack.

Another factor that IR also effects is the mah. High IR packs WILL NOT give you more capacity of useable power under load. Your 2000mah pack may only perform like a 1600mah pack.

This is why Tenergy and Powerizers well...stink. Their IR is to high for airsoft use...

>>>Tenergy NiMh 2/3A 1600mAh 10C High Drain Rechargeable Battery<<<

They call that a HIGH DRAIN??? Not for Airsoft. This is only a 16A pack. If your AEG shoot 300fps...sure this pack would be good. But, most don't and you need a pack in the 25A range.

From their cell spec sheet

+++

6.5) Initial Impedance

Measure at 20oC and 1 KHz within one hour after standard charge

Initial internal impedance ≤8.0mOhm

+++

Greater than or equal to 8, which is saying, the best we found is 8. But, in reality our product averages 12, which has been found by the RC community.

Elites...Averages 4. So, on pack made by Tenergy on the best day still ahs double the IR of an "average" Elite pack.

Batteries are the highest fleece the newbie products.

Example:

pic-003-9.6-intel-nun-2000maH.jpg Which is incorrectly named a Nunchuku is really a butterfly configuration. Which is sold for 35.00 by ASGI can be made for and sold for 20.00....that is a 75% mark-up.

....so...are you confused yet? See, why you can't just buy a pack based on "minimum values"?

It is a form of resistance that has to be over come "under load" and this drops output voltage. Being a non-EE...it is a matter of semantics, right?

Ever see a Team Orion SubC...IR is ~1.2, freaking 1.2 and the output voltage per cell is hitting 1.48V....under load it has no voltage drop with anything less than 40A draw.

Edited by Guges Mk3

In my past experience, the 9.6v 2000mah is much better than the 8.4v normally sent with guns. The only reason I'm buying another is because my friend borrowed my gun and charged the battery over night. My Dboys Scar-L shot faster, harder, and longer with the 9.6 than with the 8.4. Whether or not you believe that a higher voltage increases ROF, a higher MAH does increase the amount of time a battery lasts, making a 9.6 a better choice than an 8.4.

Guest alberty
In my past experience, the 9.6v 2000mah is much better than the 8.4v normally sent with guns. The only reason I'm buying another is because my friend borrowed my gun and charged the battery over night. My Dboys Scar-L shot faster, harder, and longer with the 9.6 than with the 8.4. Whether or not you believe that a higher voltage increases ROF, a higher MAH does increase the amount of time a battery lasts, making a 9.6 a better choice than an 8.4.

The given mAh rating isn't the only factor in determining a battery's life in your individual gun. The quality of the cells and how they perform contributes to the time.

You may have had better experience in the past with some aftermarket 9.6v NiMh batteries compared to your stock 8.4v NiMH batteries, but that's again due to a big difference in quality and not just the voltage and mAh rating differences.

Yeah...what do we know...some of us have been messing with this stuff since the 20th century us old farts (me) are stuck in our old ways. Nickle packs forever!

Oh look a 6 Cell "Nickel" Pack that puts out 11.0V of power:

Batteries are very complicated and not as simplistic as one may think.