to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
isaiah45

is it safe to buy AEGs off of Ebay?

Hey guys I have been looking on eBay for AEGs and I found amazing deals.I found a CYMA COM.28 for $40.Almost brand new,comes with everything.And then I saw a UTG M14 AEG for $35 but the top rail is broken and the full auto does not work.Is it safe to buy AEGs from eBay?Thanks!

Also make sure you settle any desputes via Paypal (say if the package never arrives) within 40 days or so (30 to be safe). Also, after getting the gun be sure to carefully inspect it internally and externally (or have a tech do so if you aren't as skilled gearbox disassembly and reassembly) and look for any problems the dealer might have failed to mention.

yeah, but you really need to scrutinize the description and ask plenty of questions. don't assume anything, because that could bite you back in the a**

That's probably great advice.

I JUST scored a beautiful JG 36 for 1/3 it's retail, and it's in nearly new condition.

The guy communicated awesome, and it was a total ebay success

good luck!

That's probably great advice.

I JUST scored a beautiful JG 36 for 1/3 it's retail, and it's in nearly new condition.

The guy communicated awesome, and it was a total ebay success

good luck!

Heh, years back when I was regularly airsofting I scored a Crosman R72 (G3 SAS plastic clone) for $12 shipped because the seller thought it was broken. Put a charged battery in it an it shot just fine. The R72 retailed at the time for about $70 or so, and that gun lasted for quite some time before and after I gave it an A&K gearbox. In its unupgraded plastic gearbox form it shot under 250fps with .2g's but had a ROF that scored me dozens of kills in CQB.

Don't buy off Ebay, they're all IEDs.

:a-laugh: It's pretty safe, and it makes your wallet keep from being lonely. Like said, make sure you check all the details though.

Like anything else, do your homework.

In the law there is a little thing that is called "due diligence" . In other words if you don't do your best to determine that something is what they say it is, then a court of law won't help you out.

ebay and paypal tend to side with buyers more often than not, even without due diligence. Just remember to READ the description CAREFULLY, always ask questions and you should be fine.

I've been buying things on ebay used for ~10 years, even bought a used motorcycle. I've never had any issues.

Hey guys I have been looking on eBay for AEGs and I found amazing deals.I found a CYMA COM.28 for $40.Almost brand new,comes with everything.And then I saw a UTG M14 AEG for $35 but the top rail is broken and the full auto does not work.Is it safe to buy AEGs from eBay?Thanks!

My dad bought a classic army in mint condition with several internal upgrades,

It has served him very well, so, I say yes as long as you know your looking for.

Guest alberty

Trying to get a used AEG on eBay is a risky thing. I would not advise it unless you have the ability to fix some minor problem yourself, or have access to someone who can.

When you buy online from eBay, there's a decent chance that something can go wrong. Because you can't see the items for yourself, you pretty much have to rely only on the pictures and description that the seller provides. About 50% of the time you'll find that the person selling something in the airsoft category is someone that doesn't really play/isn't into it or someone who really doesn't know what they're doing but thinks they do. This can lead to you getting a product more damaged/flawed than you may expect if you're unlucky. If that happens, maybe you'll luck out and it could be a minor fix, but you'd probably want to see some small compensation from the seller if they couldn't provide a satisfactory explanation/excuse.

Because of this riskiness, look for things like this that can be a giveaway that you should probably avoid the listing. For example:

- picture given is a stock image from a retailer. Usually it just means a lazy seller, but sometimes it's used to hide the fact that the gun may be in bad cosmetic condition. They may try to argue with you that "You should know that's just a sample image and I listed it as used!" Sometimes, it means the picture given is completely wrong for the actual product.

- speak of that, sometimes the wrong product is listed for what you're actually getting. This can be due to seller error (doesn't know about airsoft, made a mistake, etc...) or a seller's malicious attempt to scam a buyer (like, trying to sell a JG M4 as a TM M4). Obviously you don't want to bid on a listing in which you don't actually get what you bid for. Knowing what the product should look like can help you when matching the listing title, description, and image.

- seller says something like "it's an easy fix" or "you need a ___ which is $5 from any hardware store". If it was that easy, they would've done it themselves to increase their sale value instead.

- seller says that something that is wrong "barely affects function" or something like that. If you know tech work yourself, you can better judge if some damage/flaw is just cosmetic or is actually problematic, but usually it's not a cheap fix. This could range from broken hinges, leaking valves, missing screws, etc...

- seller "fixed" something with a homemade solution. If you see a lot of glue, duct tape, electrical tape, etc...it's probably not a good thing and may be beyond repair/restoration.

- picture has 0.12g or other cheap BBs in it: might want to avoid, because those cheap BBs may have damaged the hop-up, inner barrel, and/or gearbox internals at some point. If you are good with tech work, this might not be a deal breaker.

- AEG listed is something with unique, proprietary, or discontinued parts: watch out, if something is wrong or breaks you may have a hard time fixing it. Being used may contribute faster to breaking a crucial unique part or something. May be better off buying it brand new if possible.

- or maybe it's a small thing that's broken, are you able to buy a replacement? sometimes the OEM replacement isn't available from airsoft retailers so you're stuck.

- seller uses bad spelling, grammar, or sounds like they don't know what they're doing: I hate to judge, but sometimes seeing a very poor or lazy attempt at creating a good listing may mean the seller is also poor/lazy at shipping practices and describing the gun's condition.

- stolen images: in rare cases you may see a seller steal images from online in an attempt to scam buyers or because they were too lazy to upload their own pictures of the actual product in their ownership.

If you use PayPal to pay, keep in mind you can try to use claims to get your money back. Avoid outside "private" agreements with the seller, it may relieve them of legal responsibility and reduce your chances of winning your money back if something goes bad.

---------

I've bought and sold airsoft stuff on eBay for a long time. I've had many good transactions and several bad ones, both as a buyer and as a seller. Use your discretion, be careful.

I personally know how to work on AEGs and have access to the tech services at a local airsoft arena. I also tend to stay away from guns with unique/proprietary/discontinued parts to reduce the chances of me being stuck with a dead gun. These help me be a little more confident with taking the risk of buying from eBay, so you should evaluate your own situation before you decide to try it.

Edited by alberty

VERY carefully scrutinize the description, NEVER buy an upgraded gun EXCEPT for parts, and NEVER use anything but PayPal and take care of disputes the moment you accept the package.

Feel free to view my ebay account ondishmike .. I have over $23,000 sales on ebay and over $40,000 in purchases. The majority are airsoft related. I buy guns all the time.

There are 3 things you need to do before purchasing.

1. Confirm that the airsoft gun is fully functional - this is often stated in the listing. It helps to ask specifically about gas mags.

2. As per ebay; "To improve the resolution process for both buyers and sellers, the last day to open an eBay Buyer Protection case is changing from 45 days from payment date to no later than 30 days after actual (or latest estimated) delivery date*. This will give all buyers, international and domestic, the same amount of time after actually receiving or expecting to receive their item, to open an eBay Buyer Protection case. There is a transition period to make this go more smoothly." <a href="http://pages.PLEASE DO NOT LINK TO EBAY SITES. COPY AND PASTE AD DETAILS HERE - THEIR ADS GO AWAY AFTER 90 DAYS/help/policies/buyer-protection.html" target="_blank">http://pages.PLEASE DO NOT LINK TO EBAY SITES. COPY AND PASTE AD DETAILS HERE - THEIR ADS GO AWAY AFTER 90 DAYS/help/policies/buyer-protection.html</a>

It helps to video tape the unboxing of the purchase as proof. I only bother doing this with expensive items like the classic army mini gun I bought few months back.

3. Always pay with credit card! You can file a chargeback case up to 60 days after payment.

I want to say that my hit rate in purchases on ebay is about 70%, where the item comes without any unexpected issue. 20% of the time, its something minor like a leaking gas mag, which the seller is more than happy to partially refund. 5% of the time it something major and the seller is willing to accept the return with no hassle. The last 5% of the time the seller will not accept a return and I have to open a case. I have never lost a case on a purchase through ebay, not once since 2004. However, I did lose one when I did a transaction off ebay, but paid through paypal. I bought a CA dragunov and a TM pistol. The TM pistol mag leaked and the Dragunov did not feed or fire correctly. I lost the paypal case but I opened a case with my bank and I got the money back. Just communicate with the seller and they will try to work with you.

Background: Ebay Feedback is so important to sellers because high feedback results in fee discounts and obviously more buyers. Buying on ebay is nearly a 0% risk because ebay only exists because of the buyers. Buyers bring sellers, sellers do not bring buyers. So ebay will always try to keep the buyers as happy as possible. Trust me I do both. If you do a quick search you can see how disgruntled the seller community is. However, it really doesnt matter how disgruntled they are, as long as the buyers use ebay, the sellers hands are tied.

Edited by ondy500

Make clear the items description, and if any question or problem, please ask for the seller,More details you know, more better to confirm if you wanted.

And also, when you get it, have to check it ,if any problem, you can ask the seller to solve ; if the seller don't solve for you, you can ask to refund the money from ebay within 30days.