Sign in to follow this  
Scarlet-Impaler

PSG1 or alternatives?

Hello,

My mind is fairly set on a PSG1 for my sniper rifle, but only Marui makes them and normally 700 dollars.

My question is, are there alternatives to this? The classic style G3's are what the PSG1 is based off of, but I would need to upgrade the stock, barrel, etc etc.

Or perhaps a M14 with a body kit on it or something.

Thoughts on what I can do?

Edited by Scarlet-Impaler

Most psg-1 are out of stock since they are rare now.

They are usually on the market for around $400-500 right now.

I see like a couple of people selling it right now.

M14 would not work.

Only other "psg-1" I seen was when people use the base of a G3 and pretty much buy all the psg-1 parts to make it.

Guest alberty

The PSG-1-looking parts exist on the market. Get the pistol grip with the big base (don't remember which brand makes it) and get the G&G stock, and then that's most of it from there. Don't forget a scope and scope mount.

Like said, slap a grip and stock on a G3, elongate the barrel a bit and scope it. INSTANT SNIPER RIFLE!

Well, except you'd need upgrade parts. But you catch my drift.

the psg-1 is almost impractical for as rare as they are for their proprietary gearbox parts and the hassle of finding replacements/upgrades when they break

I used to always see tm psg-1 parts on ebay. "mauri parts showcase" maybe. do a search for airsoft part or specify it with psg-1

there might be better alternative aeg choices like customizing an e1 mtc3 or customizing a kwa dmr. I would imagine that if youre interested in the psg then you probly like that neat ergonomical futuristic look. the mtc3 has that.

or get any g3 like others suggested and upgrade it to dmr type specifications. the internals for a regular g3 are more abundant and easilly replaced which makes it a good choice as an alternative base gun

the cyma rs clone svd variants would be other great choices

Back in the day the PSG-1 made you king of the hill. Nowadays they are hard to find (still in production though, just seldom stocked by stores) and harder to find still are upgrades for it. Blame the rise of more if not better sniping platforms. Ultimately, you can get your PSG-1 and have it run for as long as you love it, but that will translate directly into cost. The only real difference with the PSG-1 and a regular AEG was the pre-cocked gearbox (could be done with the right mosfet) and blow back via the dummy bolt. If you don't necessarily need those or the dummy forward assist on the receiver, just build yourself a pseudo P/MSG-1 from a G3. Or pray to the airsoft gods, sacrifice a couple babies maybe, for WE or some other manufacturer to make a GBB version.

Guest alberty
the psg-1 is almost impractical for as rare as they are for their proprietary gearbox parts and the hassle of finding replacements/upgrades when they break

I used to always see tm psg-1 parts on ebay. "mauri parts showcase" maybe. do a search for airsoft part or specify it with psg-1

Back in the day the PSG-1 made you king of the hill. Nowadays they are hard to find (still in production though, just seldom stocked by stores) and harder to find still are upgrades for it. Blame the rise of more if not better sniping platforms. Ultimately, you can get your PSG-1 and have it run for as long as you love it, but that will translate directly into cost. The only real difference with the PSG-1 and a regular AEG was the pre-cocked gearbox (could be done with the right mosfet) and blow back via the dummy bolt. If you don't necessarily need those or the dummy forward assist on the receiver, just build yourself a pseudo P/MSG-1 from a G3. Or pray to the airsoft gods, sacrifice a couple babies maybe, for WE or some other manufacturer to make a GBB version.

Hey, good point! I always forgot about the PSG-1's proprietary/non-standard internals. It would be easier to just go customize a G3 then...

Of course, G3 stuff is also dwindling due to the Hk/Umarex grip on the market today :(

I dunno, the G3 is pretty old and I think that like the MP5, H&K's rights to them apart from trademark are already expired. I think it's more of not very many people really go for G3s anymore as to why they're dwindling in reproductions. I think the last time someone made a version of it was TM's high cycle SAS.

Of course, G3 stuff is also dwindling due to the Hk/Umarex grip on the market today :(

lots of sites sell a lot of jg guns. probly wouldnt be hard to find a jg g3

like if you go with a g3 it would at least feel and look pretty similar to the psg so you could just pretend or whatever, or just forget its not a "sniper" rifle and use it the same as you would if you had the actual psg

I heard the base of the stock or the area where the stock connects to the receiver is weak and prone to breaking off

...always thought itd be cool to have the g3 with the retractable mp5 style stock and the folding bi-pod on the handguard

I spose if you think about it, since the g3 runs on a v2 and already uses a long barrel itd be as easy to make it into a dmr as an m4 variant which a lot of people use successfully. I would be interested to know if a kwa 2gx would fit into a g3 receiver

Guest alberty
I heard the base of the stock or the area where the stock connects to the receiver is weak and prone to breaking off

...always thought itd be cool to have the g3 with the retractable mp5 style stock and the folding bi-pod on the handguard

I spose if you think about it, since the g3 runs on a v2 and already uses a long barrel itd be as easy to make it into a dmr as an m4 variant which a lot of people use successfully. I would be interested to know if a kwa 2gx would fit into a g3 receiver

Yes, it's a weak point but if you don't bash the gun in you should be fine. My old JG G3 had lasted for many games, no stock breakage for me.

For the retractable stock setup, I think Classic Army had them back then. Additionally, you can try to find that stock an aftermarket attachment but keep in mind your wiring scheme.

I don't think 2GX would fit in without modification? Got that bulky reinforced front.