Sign in to follow this  
firesword999

Is it better to buy a high price gun or to build your own?

I personally think buying a $500 gun is a display extraordinarily frivolous spending. a $200 gun can perform the same as a $500 gun because the internals are for the most part, similar in quality in guns price over $200. Following the principle of diminishing returns, a $200 gun has much for "bang for your buck" than a $500 gun. In addition, you can upgrade a $200 gun to outperform a $500 gun with $100 (maybe even less) worth of upgrades.

These guides can optimize your airsoft gun so you don't have to shell out $500

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/Art-Upgrades-t137203.html

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/Miscella...Tw-t220266.html

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/Discussi...tu-t266807.html

Guest alberty

I would say, a high end gun is a better base to start with in terms of your internals and external quality. However, it is right that the performance is more important so potentially you can start with a cheaper gun and overhaul it properly to outperform a stock, expensive gun. Obviously it's more ideal if you get the nicer-feeling/looking gun and have it performing as good as it looks.

what exactly is OP looking for? Sometimes airsoft guns have specific externals or whatever that you might be looking for and it could be cheaper to simply get that gun as opposed to buying all the parts individually and putting it together.

A G&P M4 series for example work great and can be picked up for around the $350 mark or less depending on the looks.

Just for the sake of performance (and looks/externals as icing on the cake) you could pick up a Dboys AK for $150-200 and spend maybe $100 to turn it into a winner. Less if go with a CYMA.

So for some people, the extra coin is for specific looks/feels/platforms and there is nothing wrong with spending more for that kind of thing. Its your money; use it how you see fit.

If you want to play and "look" good right away...get a $350 AEG.

If you want a slow burning money pit get a low end AEG and upgrade it from other boneyard/bargain purchases.

If this is YOUR only AEG. Do not expect to play with it until your completely done "upgrading" it.

If you want to play and "look" good right away...get a $350 AEG.

If you want a slow burning money pit get a low end AEG and upgrade it from other boneyard/bargain purchases.

If this is YOUR only AEG. Do not expect to play with it until your completely done "upgrading" it.

Listen to Guges words of wisdom. Never such a true and succinct a response has been written.

Who you buy from local could be more important than what you buy. If you can get an upgraded gun with local support pay a little extra for that.

wage peace

Since you have $500-600 then buy a good high end base gun and start upgrading that instead.

JG/G&G m4 vs G&P m4s

$150-200 vs $300-350 base

Ofc G&P base is better because it is a high end gun.

Upgrading, no matter what gun you choose, they are going to perform the same. Hands down. I don't care if you have a walmart gun or a G&G or even a G&P or vfc, if you upgrade the internal, it WILL BE THE SAME....

However, paying that extra $100-200 gives you that better external feel. The magpul m4 that G&P have are amazing. One of the best guns I used and still use.

The extra money you pay is mostly for external which in the end, you might want to upgrade for looks and for feels.

It is up to you but if you have $500-600 to spend, I'll just go for the high end weapons.

for me it would depend on how good the stock out of the box performance would be. like when you pay that $300-$400 dollars and get a gun that performs nearly perfectly or just perfect without having to touch any of its internals. guns like kwa m4's and real swords

with guns like those you can save any extra spending for different externals to suit your tastes, extra mags, or gear

personally I would never buy an expensive high end if I STILL had to upgrade it to make it perform well.

Edited by Zemanova

A higher price will not necessarily mean a better gun. It can be mediocre internally (decently playable, just not "the best") but make up for externals and even the rarity of the gun itself. Just about any AEG can be made to shoot to the same level, that is to say if you're even looking at AEGs in the first place. You need to provide more input if you want people to help you out more.

They all perform identically.

From personal experience, mpegs and especially sportlines give very little pride of ownership. Please lean towards buying vfc, G&p, or CA m4's ($250+). That said there are some golden nuggets amongst the middle end guns and they're pretty well known, so you can find them yourself.

Well I ended up going with the VFC Scarr ssr. I read its a great gun and it really seems like a good deal after using a lot of airsplat coupons dropped the price significantly. After it was dropped to 430 I also got a 60$ gift car which worked out towards the gun. I planned on getting a lot of stuff with it but I'm gonna use the gift card for that. So I ended paying 370 for it. On top of that a friend bough an old gun from me for 40$ so I think I ended up with a deal. What do you all think? It has stock upgrades that I also planned on buying so I saved on some starter upgrade purchases.

So lets say if I have a 500-600 dollar budget. Is it better/more cost effective to buy a high end gun or to use that 500 and build your own?

I think it is better/more cost effective to buy a high end gun. If you are looking for a good AEG you don't necessarily need to spend $500-$600. I would recommend the VFC 416c or 416. They are both amazing guns and around $435.

Edited by critchet17

I don't care what anyone says. Buy a KWA for your first gun, I got a m16br for $280. It's amazing I out shoot everyone at my field. The only one that I see that gives better accuracy was a rhoped kwa m4.

The reason I say go with a nicer brand is the last thing you wanna do is try tech work on a first gun. Go out and have fun then tech up.

I don't care what anyone says. Buy a KWA for your first gun, I got a m16br for $280. It's amazing I out shoot everyone at my field. The only one that I see that gives better accuracy was a rhoped kwa m4.

The reason I say go with a nicer brand is the last thing you wanna do is try tech work on a first gun. Go out and have fun then tech up.

They are good for a out of the box but because of their unique design, it is harder to upgrade.

Also, if people like trades, then they might wanta G&P instead.