Sign in to follow this  
Maekiii

DIY hopup guide for WINGUN revolvers

I recently purchased a WG 1895 nagant revolver. I knew in advance that the gun is a very impractical in game because of the lack of hopup and general inaccuracy due to the guns firing mechanism. Revolvers are really inpractical in the field anyway, but got it for other reasons.

So I wanted to squeese some range out of the thing by adding a hopup. I decided not to install an R-hop, because in my mind it wouldnt significantly improve the groupings due to the inconsistencies added by the firing mechanism itself. But if you were to use heavy weight bb's such as .40's then R-hop is probably more effective here. Even still, when firing the gun and the BB exists the shell, it flies uncontrollably for about a centimeter before hitting the hopup nub, leaving some off axis spins to it no matter how well you install the hop. So, just deal with it. :P

The things you will need here are:

- a mini stick file set

- a soft O-ring with 3mm thickness (silicone or rubber)

- cyanoacrylate glue (superglue)

- a sharp knife

- fine waterproof sandpaper (800grit)

First take your inner barrel out, and clean it well. Take your 3mm stick file and file a groove like this on it:

IMG_0137_zps744ffa1c.jpg

IMG_0138_zpse0c49e94.jpg

Then by using a sharp and thin edged knife, remove the burrs from the inside.

IMG_0139_zpsfc63ce85.jpg

Take your O-ring, and clean it well from any greases.

Put a small amount of the glue on the groove you just filed. Just a small amount because you don't want any of it on the actual contact surface.

Then press the O-ring on there and let the glue set.

IMG_0140_zps67114d95.jpg

Once it's set, cut the excess off with a sharp knife, and sand down the hop patch until its flush with the outside of the barrel. By using waterproof sandpaper and silicon oil as "cutting oil" you will get a nice finish like this. It works really great for R-hops too.

NOTE: I later ended up making the groove a little bigger and used a slightly larger size O-ring for more hopup

IMG_0141_zpsad88e019.jpg

I noticed that the inner barrel and the chambering piece werent exactly tight fit, so I put two layers of scotch tape around the tip of the barrel. This way the inner barrel will fit snugly inside the chambering piece and cannot rotate.

IMG_0143_zpsde74a033.jpg

Then to disable the barrel and chambering piece from rotating around its axis.

I glued a small steel rod inside the outer barrel that is going to align to a groove in the chambering piece that is made later. You could use almost anything for this too.

IMG_0145_zpsd3dce248.jpg

Then file a groove on the chambering piece of matching size with the aligning bar. You can use a dremel with cut-off wheel for this too. don't make the groove too much wider than the aligning bar to minimize play.

IMG_0147_zps9adcfd4f.jpg

Then all you need to do is reasseble the gun and go test it. When assembling the gun, make sure that the inner barrel sits so that the hopup nub is at the top. (duh) It takes a couple tries before its nice and centered. If you are not getting sufficient hop to your BB's, or too much, try different BB weighs or find a way other means to adjust it. Anyone competent enough to try this should be able to find the way for that. ;)

It is possible to make this adjustable too. Just drill a 2,5mm hole on the chambering piece on top of where the hopnub is, tap it to m3 thread and put a small allen set screw in the hole. Then to access the screw, a hole must be drilled in the corresponding spot in the outer barrel and the frame of the gun itself. I didnt want to ruin my gun with such visual imperfection, so I decided not to do it. It's not like I'm going to shoot very far with this anyway, so close enough does for me. ;D

So there you go. Here's how my nagant is firing now. Nothing too amazing, but the range is roughly double what it used to be.

WP_000335_zpsf473bac6.jpg

Edited by Maekiii

I recently purchased a WG 1895 nagant revolver. I knew in advance that the gun is a very impractical in game because of the lack of hopup and general inaccuracy due to the guns firing mechanism. Revolvers are really inpractical in the field anyway, but got it for other reasons.

So I wanted to squeese some range out of the thing by adding a hopup. I decided not to install an R-hop, because in my mind it wouldnt significantly improve the groupings due to the inconsistencies added by the firing mechanism itself. But if you were to use heavy weight bb's such as .40's then R-hop is probably more effective here. Even still, when firing the gun and the BB exists the shell, it flies uncontrollably for about a centimeter before hitting the hopup nub, leaving some off axis spins to it no matter how well you install the hop. So, just deal with it. :P

The things you will need here are:

- a mini stick file set

- a soft O-ring with 3mm thickness (silicone or rubber)

- cyanoacrylate glue (superglue)

- a sharp knife

- fine waterproof sandpaper (800grit)

First take your inner barrel out, and clean it well. Take your 3mm stick file and file a groove like this on it:

IMG_0137_zps744ffa1c.jpg

IMG_0138_zpse0c49e94.jpg

Then by using a sharp and thin edged knife, remove the burrs from the inside.

IMG_0139_zpsfc63ce85.jpg

Take your O-ring, and clean it well from any greases.

Put a small amount of the glue on the groove you just filed. Just a small amount because you don't want any of it on the actual contact surface.

Then press the O-ring on there and let the glue set.

IMG_0140_zps67114d95.jpg

Once it's set, cut the excess off with a sharp knife, and sand down the hop patch until its flush with the outside of the barrel. By using waterproof sandpaper and silicon oil as "cutting oil" you will get a nice finish like this. It works really great for R-hops too.

NOTE: I later ended up making the groove a little bigger and used a slightly larger size O-ring for more hopup

IMG_0141_zpsad88e019.jpg

I noticed that the inner barrel and the chambering piece werent exactly tight fit, so I put two layers of scotch tape around the tip of the barrel. This way the inner barrel will fit snugly inside the chambering piece and cannot rotate.

IMG_0143_zpsde74a033.jpg

Then to disable the barrel and chambering piece from rotating around its axis.

I glued a small steel rod inside the outer barrel that is going to align to a groove in the chambering piece that is made later. You could use almost anything for this too.

IMG_0145_zpsd3dce248.jpg

Then file a groove on the chambering piece of matching size with the aligning bar. You can use a dremel with cut-off wheel for this too. don't make the groove too much wider than the aligning bar to minimize play.

IMG_0147_zps9adcfd4f.jpg

Then all you need to do is reasseble the gun and go test it. When assembling the gun, make sure that the inner barrel sits so that the hopup nub is at the top. (duh) It takes a couple tries before its nice and centered. If you are not getting sufficient hop to your BB's, or too much, try different BB weighs or find a way other means to adjust it. Anyone competent enough to try this should be able to find the way for that. ;)

It is possible to make this adjustable too. Just drill a 2,5mm hole on the chambering piece on top of where the hopnub is, tap it to m3 thread and put a small allen set screw in the hole. Then to access the screw, a hole must be drilled in the corresponding spot in the outer barrel and the frame of the gun itself. I didnt want to ruin my gun with such visual imperfection, so I decided not to do it. It's not like I'm going to shoot very far with this anyway, so close enough does for me. ;D

So there you go. Here's how my nagant is firing now. Nothing too amazing, but the range is roughly double what it used to be.

WP_000335_zpsf473bac6.jpg

Looks good but could you do it with a r hop?? :a-confused:

lol all this work for a revolver...

LOL, so mature. Then again you're only like 15 right? I guess wheel guns only appeal to us older folk.

<AT>Maekiii

The mod applies to a lot of guns without hop too, not just your 1895 Nagant. I know my two Marushin SAAs and Mossberg 500 Serbu could benefit a lot from this so thanks! I only use them for cqb so not having hop isn't too big a deal, but extra range is still extra range.