Sign in to follow this  
Westwood

Elite Force 1911 or KWA ATP Auto?

So, for Christmas, I thought I'd treat myself to my first GBB. I've spent a lot of time with other friends' gbbs, and know how they work, the issues they have etc.

I've narrowed my choices down to the Elite Force 1911 and the KWA ATP Auto. I'll just go ahead and list the pro's and cons of both that I am considering.

Elite Force 1911:

Pros:

-Runs off Co2. This is nice for a person who lives in Chicago; the gun won't be affected by ambient temperature. Co2 is also easy to get around here.

-Gas efficiency: you can get a few mags out of a single Co2 cartridge.

-Kick: Personally the kick doesn't matter all that much to me, but I've heard that its comparable to a .22 caliber handgun. I'll go ahead and put the kick as a "fun factor."

-Magazines: Fairly inexpensive, at least where I live. I seem to remember them being about 20 dollars at a nearby airsoft shop.

-Threading: Having a threaded tip will allow me to cover the blazing orange tip without replacing the outer barrel or taking a hacksaw to it.

Cons:

-Changing the Co2 out is kind of a pain in the butt, at least with other Co2 guns I've played with.

-Just the fact that it runs off Co2 might freak some fields out. I don't want to have only one pistol, and not be able to use it because Co2 has a bad rep for shooting too hot.

-Co2 doesn't self lubricate like green gas, or propane with added silicone. On top of that, without extra maintenance Co2 has a tendency to rupture seals (solely based on my experience with bb guns)

-1911's don't feel that great in my hands. That being said, I like the 1911 platform a lot better than a lot of the other more ergonomic options out there.

KWA ATP Auto:

Pros:

-Its KWA. KWA guns are gas efficient and reliable. Mostly.

-It has the fun switch. Who doesn't like Full-Auto? When you're playing on a field that tends to have a fair amount of younger players that don't call their hits, Full-Auto is nice to have.

-Ergonomics: Although my Glock 21 isn't the most ergonomic pistol in the world, the ATP seems to fit in my hands ridiculously well. Yeah, the grip angle is still a little wonky, but the finger grooves more than make up for that.

-The Takedown of the gun is super simple.

Cons:

-I've heard that the selector switch and mechanism add enough weight to slow down the cycle rate a considerable amount. If anyone could confirm this that would be greaaaat.

-Green Gas in the Chicago suburbs isn't exactly ideal, especially in the weather we're having right now. I took part in a game today and literally nobody's pistol was functioning correctly.

-Green Gas is a bit pricey, which means I would be using propane. Which smells. Also, I can't buy propane around here because I'm under 18 years old.

-Full-auto cooldown is painful to deal with.

-Mags are pricey.

-The ATP only has a trigger safety. Now, I know better than to have my finger inside the trigger guard when I'm not using it, but my 10 year old cousin (who I regularly let shoot my airsoft guns) forgets from time to time. It would make me feel a lot better knowing he wont turn around, forget there's no safety and accidentally squeeze the trigger.

TL;DR:

Co2 1911 or Green Gas Glock?

Guest alberty

I don't know if either of those models are better than each other in terms of performance, but something I would think about is that the Elite Force 1911 is OEM by KWC and in so uses proprietary magazines and parts. If something breaks you may be in trouble trying to repair it.

While the KWA ATP will also be using parts proprietary to KWA and the ATP design, KWA has its parts readily available on the market or from their own KWA USA online shop as well, so you at least have sources for replacement parts. Also, the ATP is compatible with other KWA/KSC Glock style magazines, giving you more options when it comes to buying extra magazines for your loadout.

Edited by alberty

The Elite Force doesn't have AMAZING recoil, but it's not too bad.

Like Alberty said they're both proprietary, but if the Elite Force breaks you just have to buy a new one, compared to if you buy an ATP and it breaks you can just buy parts because KWA is a big company who has parts for when your gun breaks.

I agree with the above statements, although the Elite Force can take magazines from other CO2 KWC 1911s. There are a couple other KWCs that have mags, the blackwater 1911 being one of them. There may be some FPS differences based on different valves used for the EF, there are youtube videos as well you could look up for this. Correct me if im wrong but the EF magazines are made for a competitive CQB style under 350 FPS, while other KWCs shoot upwards of that, typical of most lower end CO2 pistols.

Edited by MP5User

Guest alberty
I agree with the above statements, although the Elite Force can take magazines from other CO2 KWC 1911s. There are a couple other KWCs that have mags, the blackwater 1911 being one of them. There may be some FPS differences based on different valves used for the EF, there are youtube videos as well you could look up for this. Correct me if im wrong but the EF magazines are made for a competitive CQB style under 350 FPS, while other KWCs shoot upwards of that, typical of most lower end CO2 pistols.

I think that's right, but in general, you're sticking with the lesser common KWC mags with this option then...

Westicles, I should probably talk to some of your specific points in your opening post:

- CO2: Shouldn't be a problem if the field staff just chrono your gun...if they have some "fear" of CO2 guns then they're not doing this thing right.

- ATP cooldown: There's cooldown with any gas gun, but I really don't see you going full-auto too often because you have limited ammo with a GBB. If cooldown's an issue, just be more conservative.

- gun safety: Gun safety goes back to the user, it shouldn't be on the equipment to blame. You should definitely be teaching your 10-year-old cousin to be more safe with guns as opposed to looking for "safer" guns. If he "forgets" and assumes a gun's safe and points & pulls the trigger at you, he should not be handling a gun.

Edited by alberty

^^^^ If the kid turns around with the gun pointed at you, take it and scorn the little demon. That's a no-no. It may be airsoft but it's still good to teach gun control and make sure it sticks.

And honestly, if you tell him to keep his finger off the trigger when not shooting it he should listen.

Small children like guns, and they don't want to have that privilege revoked. If you explain gun control he should listen.

Which brings this back to the main argument. Out of both guns, I'd just go with whatever floats your boat.

Thanks guys, I thiiiink I'm gonna go with the Elite Force here, sadly because I live outside of Chicago, and we got snow here the other day! Like seriously, WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT, WHY SNOW ALREADY???

Ahem, um, yeah. Just because I'm not actively airsofting throughout winter, doesn't mean I don't shoot every once in a while. Sometimes it can be fun to plink around, especially when ammunition is so cheap compared to, say, 9mm ammunition. It would just make so much more sense to run something that uses Co2.